VGC Lightning Rod Sceptile

This team I've created is based on the unloved Mega-Sceptile. It's mega evolution brought Lightning Rod, which can definitely be used as an advantage in battle.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow / Lightning Rod
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Sceptile may be weak, but doesn't mean that it can't hit hard. Base 145 Special Attack and Speed is incredible for it, meaning it can do a ton of damage. Adding a Lightning Rod boost will make it into a definite sweeper. Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse are for STAB. I chose Giga Drain over Leaf Storm because the -2 in Leaf Storm makes Lightning Rod useless for me. Focus Blast for Steel types that may wall it, and Protect is mandatory.

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
- Discharge
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave

To take advantage of Lightning Rod on Sceptile, I needed a mon that could use Discharge, and Zapdos came to mind. Its Discharge and Tailwind support help the other mons be more dangerous and threatening to the opposition. Hidden Power Ice is coverage from pokemon that resist or are immune to Discharge, namely Landorus-T. Heat Wave is for extra coverage. The EVs in HP make sure that Zapdos can survive 3 Rock Slides from Landorus-T, whilst the rest is in Speed and Special Attack

Azumarill @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Protect

Azumarill is to take care of opposing Dragons that may threaten Sceptile. It's also part of the FWG core between itself, Sceptile and Talonflame. Play Rough hits for STAB, as does Waterfall. Aqua Jet is for priority for late-game. Protect is so that it can keep itself from getting damage from spread moves. The attacks, packed with the extra Life Orb boost, help Azumarill hit extremely hard, hence the full investment in Attack EVs. 164 Speed is to outpace Trick Room Tyranitar, and 92 HP is to make Azumarill all the more bulky.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Rounding off the FWG core is Talonflame. I had previously used Heatran, but thought that it was too similar to Landorus-T, and so replaced it with this. Talonflame creates a dual speed-control with Zapdos, which is always helpful. Priority helps with Trick Room teams as well, making sure I don't get completely obliterated by them. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are mandatory STAB attacks that hit hard, and Protect is for longevity. An Adamant nature I prefer over Jolly so I hit harder, as I already have the priority.

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

I had never previously used Lando-T before, as I though it was too overused, but now I see why. A Choice Banded Adamant 252 Atk EV Landorus-T hits very hard. The EV spread is simple, with full investment in Attack and Speed. Earthquake is the spread STAB move, and coupled with Talonflame, Zapdos or my other teammates protecting, it can cause outrage on the field. Rock Slide is the other spread move, killing birds and Charizard Y. U-Turn is for escaping, leaving a mark, and Knock Off, helps for coverage and to remove the foes items.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard

I had previously got Gengar in the team, but after losing Heatran i needed a Fairy, check. Enter, Aegislash. Fairies cripple at the sight of this mon, and run into hiding. Aegis lash has some common weaknesses, but fear not, Weakness Policy will make it more strong. EVs are simple, and no IVs in Speed to counter Trick Room teams alongside Talonflame. King's Shield is obvious protection, and Wide Guard is to help against spread attacks. Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are obvious STAB choices.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, as I am still kind of a noob in building teams.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Nice team! Although discharge spam may appear good on paper, be sure to not rely on it entirely. Zapdos should have both a single target and dual target move so you're less predictable. I suggest volt switch over heat wave.

You could also benefit from a few item switches. Leftovers do barely anything on talonflame, lando prefers scarf to pass faster threats and gain better momentum, life orb weakens azu's bulk, and wide guard aegislash really can't make full use of weakness policy without shadow sneak (you need wide guard, so much of your team is weak to spread)

How about giving azu choice band (replace tect with superpower), talonflame life orb, lando choice scarf, and safety goggles aegislash?

Otherwise, the team looks pretty well built, although you're noticably weak to bulky thundy. You might prefer stone edge on lando over rock slide.

Edit: if you want to use belly drum azu and choice band lando, give azu your sitrus berry, have lando keep band, and give zapdos either a mental herb, kee berry, zap plate, or anything else you feel might fit.

Last edited:

leremyju

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure Sceptiles actually needs protection from dragons seeing as it is fast and hits them with super effective dragon pulse.

Maybe you should try Belly Drum Azumarill because it is pretty underwhelming with the power creep and +6 Aqua Jets are really hard to switch into. That way you can let Talonflame have a Life Orb.

I think that Scarf Landorus is really overrated, a banded one is good but a bulkier spread would be better. I'll try to figure out an EV spread but I think you can make that change later. The team looks solid but it can struggle with speed control, specifically Icy Wind. Try out Belly Drum Azumarill, it can be a huge threat.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)