Lightning Storm (mostly OU Team)

Yup. Still haven't figured it out yet. I abandoned the whole Rain team concept and came up with something better :naughty:

Rules

• No Legendary Pokemon or Ubers
  • Must have 3 Pokemon of each type per team
  • If you have a Pokemon of both types (i.e. Rotom-W), then you're able to choose a wild card of your choice that coincides with the rules
  • All clauses apply
Team at a Glance

Sweepers

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 108 Spd
Moves:
~Volt Switch
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Fire
~Flash Cannon

This is my main counter towards Ferrothorn. Magnezone's godly Defense and average Special Defense allows it to takes hits and dish them out hard. Volt Switch is what makes this set (Thank you, Elesa). It allows it to scout and get massive damage. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon don't need an explanation for why they're here. HP Fire allows Magnezone to KO the Steel-types it traps with Magnet Pull.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Moves:
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Waterfall
~Stone Edge

Give this thing one chance to set up and you'll be regretting it for a long time. This compliments Magnezone nicely because it can come in and block incoming Ground-, Fire-, and Fighting-type attacks while Magnezone can block Electric-type attacks. One Dragon Dance can make Gyarados sweep an entire team. Waterfall is the "Of course" STAB. EQ for Electric-types trying to ruin Gyara's day, and Stone Edge for Dragonites, Salamences, and the sort.

Walls

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Sp.Atk / 252 Def
Moves:
~Volt Switch
~Hydro Pump
~Hidden Power Fire
~Pain Split

With very nice Defenses and great typing both offensively and defensively, Rotom-W makes an excellent attacking wall. Volt Switch makes it a very good scout and can get large amounts of damage. Hydro Pump is the only Water-type STAB it can learn, so yeah. Hidden Power Fire is if I get stuck against a Ferrothorn or Celebi with this. Pain Split is its only form of recovery outside of Rest.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Nature:Calm
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Sp.Def
Moves:
~Rapid Spin
~Scald
~Toxic Spikes
~Protect

Tentacruel's base 125 Special Defense and access to Rapid Spin makes it a great Spiker/Spinner/Special Wall (and those are hard to come by :P). Rpaid Spin is for getting rid of hazards, Scald is for decent damage and the occasional burn. Toxic Spikes is a permanent Toxic on the field a both layers, stopped only by grounded Poison-types (which also makes Tentacruel a great Toxic Spikes absorbers). Protect is to stall for either poison damage or for extra recovery.
Support

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Nature: Mild
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 216 Spd
Moves:
~Thunderbolt
~Cross Chop
~Ice Punch
~Flamethrower

This is my wallbreaker. It's not meant to stay in long, but when it does, it wreaks havoc. Thunderbolt is its main STAB, both strong and reliable. Cross Chop is for Chansey and Blissey. Ice Punch is for other Ground-types. Flamethrower is for Ferrothorn (I hate that thing A LOT!).

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Moves:
~Taunt
~Stealth Rock
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake

My Stealth Rocker. It's blazing fast and hits for massive damage. Taunt is so it itself doesn't get set up on. Stealth Rock is essential to any team, especially ones like these. Stone Edge is the ideal STAB, and Earthquake is for Electric-types.

So here it is. I'm open to all suggestions, so tell me what you think. Thanks.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why dont you use Substitute over EQ on Gyarados? It lets you get off more than 1 DD against status inducers and eases prediction. If youre using Moxie go with Jolly to outspeed Dragonite and Heatran.

Have you tried using a ChestoRest set on Rotom? Its quite effective for some real staying power and saves you from toxic. Also,i notice you dont really have anything to take special hits,something like Substitute Hydreigon does a number on this team.

Why dont you use Substitute over EQ on Gyarados? It lets you get off more than 1 DD against status inducers and eases prediction. If youre using Moxie go with Jolly to outspeed Dragonite and Heatran.

Have you tried using a ChestoRest set on Rotom? Its quite effective for some real staying power and saves you from toxic. Also,i notice you dont really have anything to take special hits,something like Substitute Hydreigon does a number on this team.
If I get Substitute on Gyarados, I'll have to switch on Electric-types. Substitute is a very good choice, but I'll most likely be staying with Stone Edge (or since they're both TMs I might be switching back and forth).

Also, I do want to use a ChestoRest Rotom, it's just that I couldn't make a good spread with it. But I did find a a few good ChestoRest Rotom-W sets this morning. So I might be using that. Lastly, I know I don't have a special wall. I REALLY wanted to avoid the extra Ground weakness, but I could go with Rapid Spinning Tentacruel.

Bump. Changed a Pokemon and changed the EV spread of Rotom-W. Check the first post for the changes (in bold).

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm for not changing your Gyarados set at all: it's a fully offensive set made to hit hard and so shouldn't waste a turn with Substitute, plus the two biggest Electric-types in OU are going to smack you with a 4x SE Volt Switch and will typically go before your +1 EQ (with 252 Spe and Timid, Jolteon outspeeds +1 Adamant Gyara, and Scarf Rotom-W will outspeed as well).

Two huge threats to your team are Celebi and Rotom-W. Nothing on your team can switch into either and offensive sets tear through your team. To be honest, very few Water or Electric types can deal with either, so I'm going to have to recommend replacing Aerodactyl with your own bulky Grass-type, such as Shaymin or Celebi; Tangrowth could also work but is less able to be offensive without some team support. Celebi especially is a great team player as it lures in Dragons and hit them with boosted HP Ice, or can spead paralysis, helping others, in particular Magnezone.

Just my quick two cents

I'm for not changing your Gyarados set at all: it's a fully offensive set made to hit hard and so shouldn't waste a turn with Substitute, plus the two biggest Electric-types in OU are going to smack you with a 4x SE Volt Switch and will typically go before your +1 EQ (with 252 Spe and Timid, Jolteon outspeeds +1 Adamant Gyara, and Scarf Rotom-W will outspeed as well).

Two huge threats to your team are Celebi and Rotom-W. Nothing on your team can switch into either and offensive sets tear through your team. To be honest, very few Water or Electric types can deal with either, so I'm going to have to recommend replacing Aerodactyl with your own bulky Grass-type, such as Shaymin or Celebi; Tangrowth could also work but is less able to be offensive without some team support. Celebi especially is a great team player as it lures in Dragons and hit them with boosted HP Ice, or can spead paralysis, helping others, in particular Magnezone.

Just my quick two cents
Well, I can't use legendaries, so no Celebi or Shaymin. I could use Regenerator Tangrowth with Hidden Power Ice. Tentacruel can come in on any special and/or Poison attacks and Rotom-W can wall anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)