Little Cup Metagame Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
'shear power' under the Specs set in the Porygon analysis should be 'sheer power'
Fixed, am going over my previous analysis and revamping them.
also updated OP with recent analysis.

Edit:
Before I correct my guide...

Summarizing: edit in the female-only Pokémon move legality
Yes

and

Whatever analyses I made, state illegal combinations in them.

Is this right?
yes, and also:
The box trick needs testing, the best place to get it tested would be here.
Maybe explain how Lv. up moves can be got on most low level Pokemon (breed parents with the move)?
It should be said that some people play without the Lv. 5 move set clause, and some play at different levels.

As I said before, great guide like always.

Edit 2: the CaP server is not on the listings for some odd reason, it is still up just use the "advanced" function and type in:
address: cap.servegame.com
port: 8888

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Squirtle

Stat--base min- min max max+
HP----44---N/A--20---24---N/A
Att---48---9---11---14---15
Def---65---11---13---16---17
Sp.A--50---9---11---14--15
Sp.D--64---10---12---16--17
Spe---43---9----10---14--15

[SET]
name: Pri-urtle
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Life Orb
ability: Torrent
nature: Brave
evs: 4 HP/212 Atk/156 Def/84 SDef
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Squirtle was not blessed with the speed of Buizel or Staryu, but it does boast something few other pokemon can: the ability to hit an opponent first twice in a row before they can move. Fake Out can ruin most Sashers while gdealing significant damage off Squirtle's 15 Atk. Squirtle can then follow up with a STAB Aqua Jet for even more damage. This Squirtle is built around using Trick Room, since with an 8 bottom speed, it can "outrun" many pokemon that it would have no chance of beating with its paltry 12 (13+) max speed. It also lets it use precious EVs for defenses. At low HP, Aqua Jet gets even more power. </p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Aqua Jet/Double-Edge
move 2: Brick Break
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Ice Beam/Ice Punch
item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
nature: Naive
evs: 4 HP/212 Atk/252 Spe/36 SA/4 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Squirtle can reach a decent 15 max speed and has a well-rounded movepool, so a Choice set isn't out of the question. Aqua Jet and Ice Punch are mutually exclusive, so your best bet is to replace AJ with the powerful Double-Edge or another Tutor Move. On the Scarf set, 22 Speed still isn't much for bragging rights, but it does beat Voltorb.</p>

[SET]
name: Yawn
move 1: Protect
move 2: Yawn
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Waterfall
item: Oran Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP/212 Atk/252 Spe/4 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One of Squirtle's status-inducing options is Yawn. The set is simple, Use Yawn when you switch in, and then try to outpredict your opponent. Focus Punch if you think they will stay in, Protect if they don't. Once they are asleep you can fire off Focus Punch at will. Waterfall provides a mainstay STAB.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall for more power, but less accuracy and no flinch. Squirtle could use Counter or Mirror Coat with Focus Sash, but sadly Squirtle becomes unable to legally access Aqua Jet in the process. Blizzard can be used over Ice Beam if you favor high-risk, as Ice Punch is sadly incompatible with Aqua Jet. Rapid Spin is there, but in such a fast-paced game as LC, there is little time for removing rocks. Brick Break is an alternative to Ice Beam if you expect to see Magnemite switch in more than Exeggcute. If you aren't using Aqua Jet, Squirtle has access to a few other powerful tutor moves in Dynamicpunch (for risk-takers), and Body Slam.</p>

[EVs]
<p> Each set has its own best EV spread. If you're using Squirtle in Trick Room, the "Pri-Urtle" set has the optimum EVs, otherwise stick with the EVs given. </p>

[Opinion]
<p>Squirtle is in some respects overshadowed by Seel, where it gets the Fake Out + Aqua Jet breed combo from, but Torrent ability boosts its power at Low HP, and it has a broader physical movepool. When used as a priority sniper, Squirtle can rack up damage while remaining mostly unphazed. For most other tasks (e.g. Choice), Squirtle tends to be either outsped, outpowered, or both. Squirtle is a lot like a slower Buizel with actual defenses, its physical options distinguish it from most other water types. Take into account Squirtle's unique options when making a set, otherwise you may be let down by Squirtle's mediocre stats.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Croagunk, Wooper, and Poliwag can absorb water attacks and force Squirtle out. Lotad resists water hevaily and can srike back with STAB Grass attacks. Magnemite defeats Squirtle solidly. Basically look for a pokemon that either absorbs/resists Water, is neutral to Ice, and has decent defense. </p>

Squirtle
<p>Squirtle is in some respects overshadowed by Seel, where it gets the Fake Out + Aqua Jet breed combo from, but Squirtle has fairly solid defenses, fewer weaknesses, and an ability that boosts its power at Low HP. When used as a priority sniper, it can rack up damage while remaining mostly unphazed. For most other tasks (e.g. Choice), Squirtle tends to be either outsped, outpowered, or both.
They're the same type. Seel also gets Ice Shard for the dragons that tend to pop up, and with Life Orb I don't think Squirtle is going to be taking advantage of Torrent much.

You reminded me about Torrent however, a set something like Squirtle@Leichi berry, Torrent: Endure/Aqua Jet/Flail/Protect could be pretty good in little cup. Hmm... I'll try it out today.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, comments on Squirtle

The name "TR Pri-urtle" was quite confusing for a while, maybe simplify it somehow? How about Priority Squirtle?
The rest of the set looks mostly fine, but maybe give it a neutral speed nature a 31 IV, TR is not that common in LC and outspeeding a few no speed tanks will normally be more useful.

I think Squirtle could do with a few more sets:
Bulky something like: Surf/HP Grass/Ice Beam/choice of a few things@Oran berry
Sp. Choice something like: {Surf/Hydro Pump}/Ice Beam/HP Grass/{Focus Blast/EQ}@Scarf/Specs
Phy. Choice something like: {Waterfall/Aqua Tail}/EQ/Ice Punch/Rock Slide@Band/Scarf
and a Torrent abuse set.

I know other things can do some of these things better, but 1 set is too few, at least add another 1-2.

Edit: A possible suggestion:
What if we allowed Pokemon that would have been allowed in LC by the normal rules (Only Pokemon that can evolve, but have not) in a previous generation but are not now due to a new pre-evo, so Pikachu, Jigglpuff, Clefairy, Marril, Roselia and Chansey would be allowed (some may be banned).
Chansey I think is worse than Munchlax, 35 base sp. attack cant hurt much and even its amazing 41 HP will not save that 5 base Def.
Pikachu may well be banned for its awesome attacks with Light Ball, but it could be revenged.

I think this is less arbitrary than letting Pokemon in based on BST or NU status, but if its not a good idea fine.

eric, about the idea of allowing Pokes like that in LC. Don't get me wrong, it could work beautifully, but my thinking is that they some would be much too strong. Chansey for example (where NFEs are teired) is not even allowed in UU, and it is only BL because of Blissey's existance. Pikachu, as you said could be revenged, but that Special Attack with a light ball is monstrous. I feel that Marril with Huge Power could potentially be Meditite all over again. Your other three examples, I see nothing wrong with. I guess my main point is: This is the DPP LC, not the RSE LC or GSC LC or RBY LC, so if they have a prevo now, they shouldn't be allowed.

eric the espeon

The question is not would they be overpowered (I don't think Chansey would be, the Lv. 5 metagame works very differently so full walling will always fail, Pikachu probably would be too strong even though scarf is impossible, Marril has 20 base attack so even with Huge Power its not too much and it lacks the high power moves that Meditite had.) as anything that is too strong could be banned, but if it is a good idea to "bend" the entry rule.
I think that we could bend it from this:
"Only Pokemon that can evolve, but have not are allowed."
to this:
"Only Pokemon that hatch from eggs and can evolve are allowed"
Due to the fact that without incenses Marril, Roselia and Chansey hatch from eggs they would be tested. Pikachu, Jigglpuff, Clefairy never hatch from eggs so would stay banned.

From what I have heard of the original Little Cup (On Pokemon Stadium 2) the rules were only those that hatch from eggs and evolve, so we would actuly be getting closer to what the rules were ment to be, however if it overcomplicates things then we can leave it for now.

Well I personally am just wondering what the appeal would be for adding those three Pokemon. I mean, Marrill would just be a slightly bulkier version of Azurill. You make it sound like Chansey wouldn't even be very useful, and Roselia would likely become a standard. So I guess it just sounds to me like its bending the rules to only expand the standard metagame by two or three Pokemon, and I don't really see the point.

Also, it is nice to have a break from the Blissey family in an OU metagame... since Happiny isn't too good.

eric the espeon

mmm... I am unsure about it myself... I think we should leave it as it is for now, and maybe change it at some later time.
Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, comments on Squirtle

The name "TR Pri-urtle" was quite confusing for a while, maybe simplify it somehow? How about Priority Squirtle?
The rest of the set looks mostly fine, but maybe give it a neutral speed nature a 31 IV, TR is not that common in LC and outspeeding a few no speed tanks will normally be more useful.

I think Squirtle could do with a few more sets:
Bulky something like: Surf/HP Grass/Ice Beam/choice of a few things@Oran berry
Sp. Choice something like: {Surf/Hydro Pump}/Ice Beam/HP Grass/{Focus Blast/EQ}@Scarf/Specs
Phy. Choice something like: {Waterfall/Aqua Tail}/EQ/Ice Punch/Rock Slide@Band/Scarf
and a Torrent abuse set.

I know other things can do some of these things better, but 1 set is too few, at least add another 1-2.

The problem with Squirtle is that it is mostly outclassed by every other water on every other set. Even this set has to contend somewhat with Seel. Come to think of it, Seel isn't even part Ice, so the only reason to use Squirtle over it is Torrent and Brick Break/Focus Punch. Really, no Aqua Jet with Ice Punch is the biggest letdown with Squirtle. If there are Ice Punch tutors in Platinum the problem will be solved, but for now it only has Ice Beam/Blizzard for the Ice backup.

Special Attacking:
Staryu is faster and more powerful and only lacks Hydro Pump, but gets Tbolt, Flash Cannon, and Psychic.

Physical Attacking: Buizel is faster and more powerful, and while it lacks Ice Punch, it can otherwise do a physical set better by using Ice Beam.

Endflail: Kabuto is faster, has more power, is immune to Sandstorm and boosted in Rain, and has a second STAB.

The only thing Squirtle has over either of these is better defenses, which don't matter much in LC. Its speed is so dismal that even +Spe with a Salac Boostonly reaches 19, tying unboosted +Spe Staryu. Not a strategy for sucess, methinks.

I'll probably just change the name to Pri-urtle, and drop the TR. Squiority never sounded right.

Also, 1st forms rarely, if ever get Earthquake. If Squirtle got EQ instead of just Dig I would totally mention it.

On Squirtle: He can get both Counter and Mirror Coat (Counter through a third-gen tutor, so it couldn't be used with fourth-gen moves), so maybe he could try to take advantage of that?

Also, Here's a Remoraid analysis.

name: Special Attacker
move1: Surf
move2: Ice Beam
move3: Flamethrower
move4: Charge Beam/HP Electric/HP Grass
item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
ability: Sniper
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 236 S.Atk/236 Spd

[Set Comments]
Remoraid has a nice assortment of special moves to choose from. Surf is for STAB, and the remaining moves get good coverage. The fourth move will hit other water-types. When using HP Electric or HP Grass, be sure to add 4 of the leftover EV's into special attack.

name: Physical Attacker
move1: Waterfall
move2: Double-Edge
move3: Rock Blast
move4: Fire Blast/Blizzard/Substitute
item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 236 Atk/236 Spd

[Set Comments]
Remoraid's physical movepool is much smaller than its special one, but the advantage here is Hustle. A choice banded, hustled, STABbed Waterfall is going to punish anything without a 4x resistance. Other than that, Double-Edge is the next most powerful move, the next being Rock Blast. Aside from those three, though, Remoraid has no physical moves worth using, so a special move should fill the last slot. Fire Blast or Blizzard will do more damage to Tangela than Double-Edge. Also, if you aren't using a choice item, you may want to opt for Substitute in the last slot.

name: EndFlailer
move1: Flail
move2: Endure
move3: Waterfall
move4: Rock Blast
item: Salac Berry
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
evs: 236 Atk/236 Spd

[Set Comments]
Basic Endure/Flail Combo. Endure a hit that would KO you to activate Salac Berry, then proceed to Flail or Waterfall through your opponent's team. The water/normal offensive combination is unresisted in little cup, of course. This set hits very hard because of the Hustle boost, but can be taken out by a speedy revenge killer.

[Other Options]
Quite a few. First of all, Expert Belt can be used on the first set, and HP Fighting, Signal Beam, and Psychic are all options in the fourth slot. Also, Blizzard or Fire Blast can replace Ice Beam or Flamethrower, respectively, for more power but less accuracy. Return is an option over Double-Edge on a physical Remoraid. A Sniper set with Focus Energy might be fun to use (Rock Blast would be the move to use on this set). Haze is another choice, but Remoraid may not last long enough to use it well.

[EV's]
All of Remoraid's base stats end in 5's, which means he can only receive 6 extra stat points. His defensive stats (35/35/35) are too low to be worth an investment, so max out your attacking stat and speed.

[Opinion]
His movepool is very colorful, and he has the potential to hit very hard, but his 65 base speed is a bit of a letdown, and his defenses are quite poor. The nice thing is that his variety of moves make it hard for the opponent to know what to switch in, since Remoraid hits equally hard on both fronts with a lot of super-effective hits.

[Counters]
Most things that can outrun it can KO it. Remoraid will probably not have anything invested in HP, making it a true glass cannon, and therefore very easy to get a revenge kill on. If you can predict what move he's going to use, switch in something with a resistance and go to work.

Its hard to name specific Pokemon that can guarantee a switch-in on Remoraid. In general, Mantyke is a good bet on a special set, but beware the occasional Charge Beam/HP Electric. Drowzee doesn't like a Specs Surf, but can take other special attacks. Similarly, Tangela doesn't like a Banded Return/Double-Edge, but has little trouble with other physical volleys.

eric the espeon

I can see Double Edge working well over Return on the Phy. set Return can go in Other Options, and Charge Beam/HP Electric/Grass is a must on Sp. set, waters resist all 3 of its other moves. Put Psychic/Signal Beam in Other Options.
Blizzard/Fire Blast are decent things for the Sp. set, put in Other Options.
Sub is probably a much better thing to put on the Phy set if you are not using a choice item, if you are then status is not good so something like Ice Beam or Flamethrower would be better.
Also I think a Flail-Endure set could work quite well, it should be given its own set. Sniper is too gimmicky IMO.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I looked at your speed tiers and tier list yet there is no mention of either of these Pokemon (edit: actually there was but my ctrl+f failed to find them for some reason), I did a bunch of early sets back when there was a thread in Contributions and Corrections about LC. Sadly I never posted these because my partner who was helping me was banned. I probably overlooked some things back then as this was very early D/P and I was used to countering ADV LC threats, though these sets may still be good for LC use. I don't plan on do much more with these sets so anyone is free to make comments and fix the sets to the current LC metagame.

Houndour @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
- Pursuit
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power: Grass

EVs: 116 Atk / 116 SAtk / 40 SpDef / 236 Spd
Nature: Mild (+SAtk, -Def)

Houndour is a great revenge killer 116 Attack to reach 14 which will OHKO Abra and has a great chance to OHKO Gastly with Pursuit (no switch), Flamethrower OHKOs Diglett who might think they can KO but will be surprised when Houndour outspeeds, Dark Pulse has a chance to OHKO but not guaranteed. HP Grass to beat up on Rocks, Grounds, and Waters who might switch in. Revenge Houndour is a great late game (lol) or revenge sweeper as it does tons of damage but can't OHKO everything, but it does OHKO the major threats. Speed not always needed and can be put either attack stat.

Voltorb @ Life Orb
Static
- Thunder Wave/Substitute
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power: Grass/Ice

EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd / 80 SAtk
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)

Explosion is the main attack, it OHKOs nearly everything in Little Cup and is great for hitting something that is causing problems for your team. Hidden Power Grass is suggested to OHKO Larvitar and Rhyhorn, which HP Ice will not do, and you can also hit Chinchou for decent damage who would otherwise wall all other attacks (minus Explosion). Voltorb outspeed all non Scarf users with this spread with the exception of Diglett who also maxes at 20. Voltorb will tie Jolly Diglett and can OHKO with HP Grass or Explosion.

Some damage calculations for problem Pokemon:

Adamant Max Attack CB Sucker Punch from Diglett: 66% - 76%
Adamant Max Attack CB Aqua Jet from Buizel: 57% - 66%
Suggested EV spread HP Grass to 252/252 Diglett: 85% - 100% (EXTREME situation, usually OHKO)
Suggested EV spread Thunderbolt to 252/252 Buizel: 136% - 160% (OHKO always)

Voltorb is very dangerous and can cause some huge problems to nearly everything, Scarf Pokemon are the only true counters to it as it OHKOs any problems it runs into with Explosion or one of its Super Effective moves. Substitute is probably a better option over Thunder Wave as Voltorb will have problems if its hurt too much while trying to Thunder Wave.

And sets I came up with that I didn't comment for, I personally felt that weather users could change the tide in games and actually be useful, things with Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hippo, Snover, etc. Sun and Rain speed up several Pokemon and make them dangerous with Hidden Power, Water, and Fire moves, while Hippo and Snover can stop strategies that were very common in ADV LC, Endure+Salac, and now in DP Focus Sash and a stat up move. In addition, moves like Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, etc could be used to really put a hurt on such a speed based metagame I've got quite a few more that never evolved past 1 or 2 moves so I won't be posting those, only complete sets.

Ponyta
Flare Blitz
Hypnosis
WoW
Double Kick

Ponyta (F) @ LIfe Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hypnosis
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast

REVISIT WITH WEATHER USERS

Houndour (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Spd / 196 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nasty Plot

REVISIT WITH WEATHER USERS

Anorith (M) @ Life
OrbTrait: Battle Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide
-Rock Polish/KnockOff/AerialAce/CrossPoison
-Brick Break

Carvanha (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spd
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Double-Edge / Aqua Jet

Snover (?) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 128 HP/200 Spd/180 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Machop @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No guard
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Dynamic Punch
-Rock Slide
-ThunderPunch
-Ice Punch
Fire Punch an option

Teddiursa (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 36 HP / 200 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat / Cross Chop
- Crunch / Night Slash
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake / Rock Slide
Protect an option

Trapinch (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

Stunky (?) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk/245 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Explosion
- Pursuit
- Iron Tail / Double-Edge

Bagon @ Oran Berry / Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Double-Edge
-Draco Meteor
CB worth a look

I'm not quite one to be a tester, and I don't have much to say about some of the other things people said. I don't quite have analyses, but:

I was pondering Lickitung, and while Bronzor has slightly higher defenses, Lickitung's much higher HP and attacking stats could make it much better, IMO. Bronzor has a better ability, but I think Lickitung has a slightly better movepool, even without SR or a sleep move.

Onix is interesting, IMO, as a pure physical wall. A Defense of 27 is not something I would laugh at.

Cacnea, Trapinch, and Clamperl are interesting TR choices. Geodude could be, too. Krabby is interesting with base 105 Attack, also.

Chlorophyll Tangela can switch in on Diglett after a revenge kill, set up Sunny Day as your opponent attacks/switches, and have a speed of 32 and a special attack of 19. Using a Life Orb, it has a special attack of 25 (rounding up?). This is if both of those stats are maxed out.

Then, there's Wynaut...

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Check back a couple pages, I did a Lickitung analysis.

I wholeheartedly agree with you- it makes for an absolutely excellent offensive wall, and its support options aren't bad either.

I'm still waiting on a Mon to do my next analysis on- just name it and I'll give it a look-see.

eric the espeon

Zerowing; My plan for LC is to make full analysis for every OU and hopefully BL Pokemon in LC and get the single sets edited out of the on site LC analysis, however those sets could well be incorporated into the analysis for those Pokemon.

Licky could be a decent Pokemon, but it lacks the array of resistances that Bronzor has.

I run a CBOnix on my latest team, it is the best counter to Murkrow I have ever found.

Trapinch was on my TR team, it worked brilliantly, and I saw someone useing a Clamperl.

Cacnea and Krabby (saw someone use this onece, they replaced it with something) could work, Geodude is just a worse Rhyhorn with Explosion.

SDS try.... Gligar that should be used a LOT more than it is now.

One last thing on Remoraid, who I updated: I'm hesitant to replace a status move on the physical set for a special attack just because there is no situation that I could think of where a special attack would be a better choice than a physical one. Really, he only needs the first two moveslots on that set.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay... Gligar it is.

Gligar

Code:
 Base stats:  Min-  Min  Max  Max+
 HP :  65     --    23    26    --
 Atk:  75     13    14    17   18
 Def:  105    16    17    20   21
 SpA:  35     9     10    13   14
 SpD:  65     12    13    16   17
 Spe:  85     14    15    18   19
Set 1: Setup Sweeper
- Swords Dance/Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack/X-Scissor/Baton Pass
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 236 Atk/236 Spe

Comments:
With above-average stats in many categories, Gligar makes an excellent physical sweeper. Use its multiple immunities (Electric and Ground) or its excellent physical defending capabilities to come in safely. From there, Swords Dance and you're golden. As always, Earthquake-Stone Edge gives amazing coverage, and the EQ is STABed for absurd amounts of power. The last attack is really filler. X-Scissor hits Grass-types that aren't weak to the EQ-SE combination, and is also the best attack for hitting Bronzor. Quick Attack beats out other Priority users, especially those that pack Fake Out, as well as some Scarfers or fragile speedsters. And Baton Pass lets you put that hard-earned boost to good use for another Poke when you're done. Preferred set is Adamant with Quick Attack. Alternately, Rock Polish can be used over Swords Dance, in which case you would shift the speed EVs out into your defenses and be Adamant- 15 Speed hits 30 after a Polish, which outspeeds most every key threat.

Set 2: Great Wall
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Taunt/Whirlwind/Stone Edge/U-Turn
Item: Oran Berry
Nature: Impish
EVs: 236 HP/236 Def

Comments:
Gligar makes an absurdly good wall in Little Cup. This set gives him 26/21 physical defense, combined with a ton of resistances and two immunities. This makes Gligar one of the premiere users of Stealth Rock in the LC metagame. Roost is good because of how hard it is to physically damage Gligar, though it can be subbed for another one of the optional attacks. Earthquake gives good STAB, as there's not a lot that resists it in LC, and many hard physical hitters get hit by it. The last attack has a number of options. Taunt keeps opponents from setting up. Stone Edge makes good coverage with EQ. And Whirlwind can serve a number of purposes- it can shuffle opponents to deal Stealth Rock damage, and if you predict an opponent attempting to switch to a counter, you can buy yourself a free turn, as well as scouting the incoming counter. U-Turn can also scout an incoming counter, but with the added bonus of damaging it with Gligar's excellent Attack.

Set 3: Choice

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scissor
Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 236 Atk/236 Spe

Set Comments:
Choice Gligar can catch opponents off-guard, as most will suspect a SD/Rock Polish set. However, this Gligar can hit very hard right off the bat. The Choice Band version sports 25/27 Attack and 18/19 Speed, which combines with a powerful STAB Earthquake for excellent results. The Choice Scarf version uses 17/18 Attack and 27/28 Speed to be a very effective revenge killer, as well as catching some things off guard, such as Gastly and Abra that don't pack scarves of their own. EQ is the staple attack, giving great bang per use. Stone Edge hits excellently on Fliers that would be immune to EQ. Aerial Ace has STAB and can hit Grass-types that resist the EQ. X-Scissor is the best attack for Bronzor.

Set 4: Baton Pass
- Swords Dance/Rock Polish
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Earthquake
Item: Oran Berry
Nature: Impish
EVs: 236 Def/236 Spe

Comments:
Gligar is ridiculously good at passing either Attack or Speed boosts to Mons that need it. Taunt shuts down other stat uppers, EQ is for if you need to attack. Not much else, really. If you tend to throw caution to the wind, you can ditch Taunt or Earthquake for the other stat upper and pass two boosts, but that leaves you vulnerable.

Other Options
With its physical bulk, Counter can catch some opponents that want to just smash straight through Gligar off-guard. It can also utilize Rock Polish to make a hybrid defensive/offensive set, not requiring any EVs in speed. If you're feeling adventurous, the SR set can use Screech and Earthquake in tandem to force a lot of switches.

EVs

Unfortunately, Gligar is cursed with all Base Stats that end in 5. That means that you can only get a maximum of 6 bonus stats. For the Swords Dance set, just max your attacking stats: Atk and Spe. For the Great Wall, just max HP and Defense. Alternately, you can buff out your Special Defense to make more of a mixed wall, but that's a waste of Gligar's ridiculous physical defense abilities.

Opinion

Gligar's one of those Mons with all the right stats in all the right place. Its bulk lets it set up in peace, be it Rock Polish, Swords Dance, or Stealth Rock. Its speed and attack let it sweep with the best, and its moveset is excellent. Its typing gives it two immunities, three resistances, and only two weaknesses. These traits are more than enough to earn this critter a spot on your team.

Counters

Staryu hits hard with either Surf or Ice Beam, pounding Gligar on its weaker side with SE attacks. Porygon's got the bulk to get in and destroy Gligar with Ice Beam. Really, anything that has a decent SpA and Ice Beam can destroy Gligar pretty efficiently. However, beware of Gligar coming in on a Choiced TBolt from a Boltbeamer and getting free stat ups.

eric the espeon

One last thing on Remoraid, who I updated: I'm hesitant to replace a status move on the physical set for a special attack just because there is no situation that I could think of where a special attack would be a better choice than a physical one. Really, he only needs the first two moveslots on that set.
Fire Blast is better for Tangela.. and I am sure that some others are like this too. Status is near useless.

As for Gligar I think it wants a BP set and a Choice set.
SD sweeper should be called Set Up sweeper and have Rock Polish as an option over SD. could Double Edge work on this set? if not put in Other Options.
Great Wall..... IMO Toxic and Whirlwind are very ineffective in LC, and Knock Off is not that much better. Going without any attacks is a very bad idea.
Something more like Roost, Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Taunt/Stone Edge/U-Turn I think would be better.
You need to survive for 10 turns to make Leftovers as useful as Oran, remove it.
Counters needs some things that can switch in on it.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
And... Bronzor.

Bronzor

Code:
 HP :  57     --    22    25    --
 Atk:  24     8     9     13   14
 Def:  86     14    15    18   19
 SpA:  24     8     9     13   14
 SpD:  86     14    15    18   19
 Spe:  23     8     9     12   13
Set 1: The Great Wall
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball/Earthquake
- Recycle
- Light Screen/Reflect
Item: Oran Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 220 HP/148 Def/68 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe

Comments:
Move Legality really screws Bronzor over, as its staple Hypnosis is banned by the fact that Bronzor is genderless. As such, it's really hampered by the TMs that it can learn. Stealth Rock is the main attraction- Bronzor will always get that SR off. Gyro Ball and EQ are Bronzor's best attacking options- EQ hits the incoming Fires SE, while Gyro Ball has STAB and great Base Power. Recycle gives steady recovery from the equipped Oran Berry. Last, but certainly not least, you can throw up a barrier to help your other Mons.

Set 2: Trick Room Setup
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 220 HP/240 Attack

Comments:
Throw down Rocks, set up weather/TR, hit some stuff as hard as you can until you drop and let your next star take the field. The EVs give a +4 boost to attack, giving Bronzor a respectable 15 Attack.

Set 3: Crozor?
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psychic/Flash Cannon
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 220 HP/148 Def/84 SpA

Comments:
Gimmicky, but it might work. Bronzong's attacks are absolute junk, but with a set like this, it can stick around for a mighty long time to put the hurt on some mons. Works like Crocune- stat up for a while, then RestTalk and wreck face. Just watch out for Darks. Alternately, Flash Cannon can be used if you're super-scared of Murkrow and Houndour.

Other Options:
Not really much. The wall set can use both attacks if setting up a barrier isn't your style. Rain Dance can also be used in the place of a Barrier to remove Bronzor's only weakness for a Spiritomb-esque feel.

EVs
Throw it in your defenses. Not much you can do with your offenses. However, having stats that end in 4 means that it can potentially get a +4 to its attacking stats with 240+ EVs, but the legality of such an occurrence is currently undecided.

Opinion
Bronzor is pretty harmless, but in terms of providing aid to a team, it's second to none. Throwing Rox, using Reflect and Light Screen, it can let other Mons set up easily. If you need defense on a Little Cup team, Bronzor should definitely get a look.

Counters
Magnemite traps it and murders it with Magnet Rise to make you immune to the EQ and resisting Gyro Ball. Otherwise, just kill it with fire. Pretty much anything can switch into Bronzor, but slow Mons, especially those that resist Steel, will be essentially immune to Bronzor's only attack.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
And... Abra

Abra

Code:
 HP :  25     --    19    22   --
 Atk:  20     7     8     11   12
 Def:  15     7     8     11   12
 SpA:  105    16    17    20   21
 SpD:  55     11    12    15   16
 Spe:  90     14    15    18   19

Set 1: Sweeper

- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- HP Fire/Charge Beam
Item: Focus Sash/Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 76 HP/236 SpA/196 Spe

Comments:
Abra hits hard off the bat with 105 Base Special Attack and 90 Base Speed. Focus Sash allows you to get at least one hit in regardless of the opponent (watch for SR and Sandstorm/Hail), and the moveset is basically everything Abra's got. You can also use this with some Choice items. Specs has ridiculous destructive power, while Scarf will outspeed most everything.

Other Options:
Let's face it: Abra's movepool is pretty mediocre. However, Encore can be used to great effect to come in on stat boosters. If you use Encore, you can use a free turn to get a Calm Mind in, which boosts your power to monumental heights. Knock Off is around, but it's not gonna really get you anywhere. Counter works with Focus Sash to catch physical attackers off-guard and score a quick KO.

EVs:
Don't even bother with stats not named Speed and Special Attack. The HP EVs are only there as filler so they don't go to waste.

Opinion:
Abra has the potential to be stupid strong, but he dies to anything that even attempts to hit it. Focus Sash can allow it to survive that first hit, but good luck surviving anything otherwise. In any case, if used correctly, Abra's ridiculous power can put massive holes in any team.

Counters:
Poke it gently. Really, anything that hits reasonably hard will absolutely destroy Abra. Specifically, any priority moves not named Vacuum Wave will turn Abra into a small pile of psychic jelly. Bronzor also comes in on Psychic and does his thing, and Stealth Rock prevents the use of Focus Sash.

Elekid

Code:
Base Stats:   Min-  Min  Max  Max+
HP:  45       --    21   24   --
Atk: 63       12    12   15   16
Def: 37       9     10   11   14
SpA: 65       11    13   16   17
SpD: 55       11    12   15   16
Spe: 95       14    16   19   20
[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Ice Punch / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Cross Chop
move 4: Psychic / Fire Punch
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Static
nature: Mild
evs: 196 Atk / 76 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Elekid is a Pokemon that is very well rounded with a respectable Attack, Special Attack, and Speed stat. Potentially able to hit 11-12 types makes Elekid a prime canidate for breaking walls. Thunderbolt will easily take out any water types such as Staryu and Seel, as well as flying types such as Taillow and more importantly, Murkrow. Using a combination of Thunderbolt and Cross Chop, Elekid can tear quickly through most teams. The last attack depends on what you worry more about. Fire Punch will hit Bug types, although Psychic will be able to hit Posion and Fighting types such as Croagunk. Since many Bug types are also poison, Psychic may be the best option.

[SET]
name: Speedy Gonzales
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Cross Chop
move 4: Psychic
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Static
nature: Mild
evs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set differs from the mixed set, as it uses a 28 speed stat to completely outspeed most of Little Cup. Still hitting 12 types super effective, although this time this set is mostly focused on Special Attack. Elekid can completely fool the opponent by using its wide variety of attacks and blazing speed to net you a few kills

[OTHER OPTIONS]
Elekid can make use of Meditate and go with a physcially based set of Thunderpunch/Meditate/Ice Punch/Cross Chop. However losing some coverage of the last attack may hurt you. Elekid also can run a Specs or Band set, but that doesn't make great use of Elekids mixed sweeping abilities. Focus Punch is useless as Cross Chop will OHKO Munchlax anyway.

[EVS]
Just focus on Speed, Attack, and Special Attack. Elekid has no defenses to make use of and should be much more concerned with building up its attacking power.

[OPINION]
Elekid is a very potent sweeper in Little Cup, and should never be underestimated. Although Voltorb has superior speed, Elekid has much more variety in its attacks.

[COUNTERS]
Elekid does not have many counters. Rhyhorn can somewhat counter although Hidden Power Ice will make short work of him. Switching Diglett into an electric attack will always allow Diglett to kill Elekid without a problem.

Zerowing; My plan for LC is to make full analysis for every OU and hopefully BL Pokemon in LC and get the single sets edited out of the on site LC analysis, however those sets could well be incorporated into the analysis for those Pokemon.

Licky could be a decent Pokemon, but it lacks the array of resistances that Bronzor has.

I run a CBOnix on my latest team, it is the best counter to Murkrow I have ever found.

Trapinch was on my TR team, it worked brilliantly, and I saw someone useing a Clamperl.

Cacnea and Krabby (saw someone use this onece, they replaced it with something) could work, Geodude is just a worse Rhyhorn with Explosion.

SDS try.... Gligar that should be used a LOT more than it is now.
*Ahem* I used cacnea and krabby, and they're very good to. And about onix countering murkrow... HA HA HA! No offense to you but I don't think onix can survive dark pulse or HP fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)