Little Enemy Crab (Peaked #1)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, I guess it's been a while since my last RMT. Right after the huge bans of Misdreavus, Gligar, Meditite, and Carvanha, I built this team with Al Alchemist. Like the noob he is though, he didn't use it. It's changed quite drastically since then. I laddered quite a bit and maintained the #1 spot for over two weeks, and I probably could have kept it if I wanted to. This team might not be perfect, but it is my most successful team to date.

RANDOM TEAM NAME (see topic title)

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Regenerator | Jolly
236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
- Hi Jump Kick
- Payback
- U-turn
- Fake Out

I almost always lead with Mienfoo, as it is incredibly versatile and able to recover off misplays with Regenerator.

Fake Out is pretty awesome, as it's free damage and can even slowly pick off something like a boosted Scraggy or Clamperl if I really need to. It's almost a failsafe against a 6-0 sweep. Hi Jump Kick is extremely powerful, and due to Regenerator the miss threat isn't too huge. Fake Out + 2 HJKs will KO Dwebble, allowing it to only set up Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes. Payback destroys Gastly and can pick off an extremely weakened Frillish or Duskull in a pinch. It is rare enough that it is rarely expected. U-turn, as always, is great early-game and even with Team Preview making scouting obsolete, the ability to make a switch in the middle of the turn is invaluable. It's like choosing your move after you know what your opponent will do.

The EVs allow Mienfoo to do a lot of damage while maintaining good bulk with Eviolite. Jolly lets Mienfoo outspeed threats like Modest Chinchou, and Adamant doesn't do much anyways.

(btw knock off mienfoo is for noobs)

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Volt Absorb | Modest
52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire

Most of you know that Chinchou is my favorite Pokemon. It was the first thing I put on this team, and at the time Eviolite Chinchou was quite a radical concept. How could Chinchou, with just base 56 Special Attack, do enough damage without Life Orb or Choice Scarf? Chinchou is a great example of what a good typing and ability can do for a Pokemon.

Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are pretty standard. I don't see the point in running Surf if you already have a STAB 100% accurate move in Thunderbolt. Hidden Power Fire eats Ferroseed, although it doesn't OHKO. Most Ferroseed set up entry hazards when they switch into Chinchou, predicting a switch. HP Fire will do an easy 2HKO. I rarely use Substitute, but I find it pretty amazing. Chinchou basically 2HKOes most Little Cup Pokemon, meaning if I can force a switch and set up a Substitute, I've got a free KO. Substitute also allows Chinchou to avoid burn and poison, which surprisingly hinder it quite a bit. Chinchou is there to take a hit and dish back major damage with its amazing STABs.

EVs are pretty standard. I use Modest because I don't see much point in speed tying with Mienfoo- I'll just switch to Gastly.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Dry Skin | Naive
212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 28 SpA / 196 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

I love Croagunk. As my main Scraggy counter, it also manages to be incredibly annoying if played right. Eviolite gives it a surprising amount of bulk that Drain Punch only adds to.

I remember playing this set when I had Shelmet in this slot, and having no idea how to beat it. Being able to take hits as powerful as a STAB Thunderbolt from Chinchou while retaliating with a somewhat-weak-but-powerful-enough Drain Punch was absolutely impossible to beat. In addition, Croagunk's great typing allows it to resist the STAB moves of many Pokemon in Little Cup. Sucker Punch is pretty strong priority and hits Ghosts hard. Taunt allows Croagunk to prevent Substitute Gastly from having a Substitute and killing Croagunk at the same time. With my Naive nature and max speed (which I have often been criticized for, but I stand by to this day) it also outspeeds unboosted Clamperl and prevents it from Shell Smashing. Vacuum Wave is usually my first move against an unknown but weakened Scraggy so that if it carries Zen Headbutt, I can finish it off with Mienfoo's Fake Out. It also provides an interesting move against stuff like weakened Staryu who think that they can Recover up on you.

EVs provide maximum speed and maximum bulk. A Naive nature provides more Speed to Croagunk while not lowering Special Attack for Vacuum Wave.

Gastly @ Eviolite
Levitate | Timid
116 HP / 36 Def / 116 SpA / 196 Spe
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

While it might not seem like a powerful sweeper, Subnosis Eviolite Gastly has gotten me more 6-0 sweeps than any other Pokemon on this team. Many teams just aren't prepared for a Gastly that can not only put Pokemon to sleep and hit quite hard, but also take hits while outspeeding almost everything in this metagame.

Eviolite allows Gastly to survive a lot of things. It can take a Taillow/Doduo Brave Bird and OHKO back with Sludge Bomb, removing one of the biggest threats to this team. Hypnosis allows Gastly to beat almost anything one-on-one in a pinch as long as it hits (BRING BACK THE 70%). Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are quite powerful, even though this set only has 17 Special Attack. Pawniard is annoying, but I can just Hypnosis + switch to Croagunk. Hidden Power Fighting just doesn't hit hard enough.

EVs give max Speed and then some Special Attack and some bulk. Timid is so that I can beat Houndour and have a Substitute up if I hit a Hypnosis. Tying with other Gastly and outspeeding random Payback Mienfoo is fun too.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Natural Cure | Timid
36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

I used to run Life Orb Ponyta here, and it was nothing short of amazing. However, this team had problems with Toxic Spikes (this was pre-Croagunk). Al Alchemist recommended that I run Rapid Spin Staryu, and I did for quite a while. However, I found myself never using Rapid Spin (probably has to do with my playstyle). I switched to Hidden Power Fire to completely screw up Ferroseed and Snover, both of which are super annoying.

Hydro Pump, thanks to the Pomeg Glitch, is amazingly strong. The accuracy is annoying, especially with no secondary STAB as on Chinchou, but the power more than makes up for it. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire provide good coverage alongside it. I find Ice Beam rather unnecessary in this metagame, with both Dragon-types and Grass-types being quite rare. Recover is pretty huge, as it allows Staryu to beat stuff like Slowpoke + Lickitung cores alone. Natural Cure of course helps in this.

Using Staryu alongside Chinchou while running practically the same set seems redundant, but it works. The counters to both are practically the same, allowing one to weaken potential counters and the other to finish them off. It also allows me to play much more riskily with Chinchou, knowing I have Staryu in reserve.

EVs give maximum Special Attack and Speed, while a Timid nature allows Staryu to outspeed and usually beat Gastly.

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Moxie | Jolly
196 HP / 76 Atk / 212 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Hi Jump Kick

Scraggy. The Pokemon that currently defines the Little Cup metagame. There's not that much to say about this set: Dragon Dance up and sweep away with pretty amazing dual STABs, becoming unstoppable with Moxie along the way.

Dragon Dance and Crunch are pretty much self-explanatory. Hi Jump Kick OHKOs most Mienfoo, and I find it much better than a weak Drain Punch. Never run Drain Punch alone on Scraggy- only run it alongside Hi Jump Kick if you're going to run it. Taunt allows Scraggy to beat Shelmet one-on-one, although it will be pretty crippled after. It also gives Scraggy the ability to set up on things like Duskull and non-Scald Frillish who think they can burn Scraggy with Will-O-Wisp.

EVs give maximum bulk and speed. A Jolly nature allows Scraggy to outspeed some Choice Scarfers after a DD, like Scarf Magnemite.

Final Glance

Well, since this is a 1k post, I guess I'll do some shoutouts.

<iss> I LOVE YOU ALL

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Threats

Chinchou
My own Chinchou can tie by spamming Hydro Pump. Croagunk, Mienfoo, and Scraggy all beat it. Gastly can take a Hydro Pump and 2HKO with Sludge Bomb.
Clamperl
Man these are annoying. If they somehow get setup and they have HP Grass, I'm screwed. Fortunately, they have a hard time setting up. Gastly is their best shot, but Sludge Bomb will do enough that Croagunk + Mienfoo should be able to revenge kill.
Darumaka
Darumaka is generally annoying. Those U-turns will take a chunk out of everything, but it's nearly impossible for it to sweep with two Water-types and Scraggy sitting around.
Doduo No U-turn makes it easy to deal with. They normally come in on Mienfoo, and I sit there and U-turn. If they Brave Bird, I lose Mienfoo, but I get a free Sub with Chinchou. Mienfoo survives Return and will go straight to Gastly for a free Sub. Rather annoying, but certainly not a huge problem.
Dratini
Lack of Ice Beam on Chinchou and Staryu lets it get easy setup, but Hydro Pump is a 3HKO anyways. Scraggy can take a +1 Outrage in a pinch and kill them off.
Drilbur
Not threatening unless they get a Swords Dance. Life Orb versions will take too much damage trying to set up, but Eviolite versions are a bitch. Conserved until late-game, I get swept. Mienfoo can take an Earthquake and HJK back to deal enough damage to have Croagunk finish them off. Very annoying.
Elekid
Chinchou completely and utterly walls it. Hydro Pump is an easy OHKO, and HP Grass only 3HKOs.
Gastly
A surprise Payback from Mienfoo usually takes it out. Croagunk loses, but can prevent it from killing Croagunk and having a Substitute up with the combination of Taunt and Sucker Punch.
Houndour
Everything beats it bar Croagunk. Gastly just uses Hypnosis. Everything else uses a STAB move.
Magnemite
Chinchou hard counters it, but if Chinchou is dead it can be annoying.
Meowth
Gastly can survive an LO Bite and KO back with Sludge Bomb. Fake Outs are annoying though, so I keep Gastly in high health at all times.
Mienfoo
Gastly beats it unless it has Scarf and Paybacks on the switch.
Ponyta
Chinchou switches in on a Flare Blitz or Wild Charge and OHKOs with Hydro Pump. Staryu can risk a speed tie if necessary.
Porygon
Smart switching between Gastly to take Tri Attacks and Scraggy for Shadow Balls will lead to its eventual demise with Hi Jump Kick.
Scraggy It has a hard time setting up, as it will take >50% from Chinchou and Staryu Hydro Pumps. Croagunk beats it, and Hydro Pump + Vacuum Wave + Fake Out will KO in case of Zen Headbutt versions.
Snover
Quite annoying, but they usually come in on Chinchou or Staryu only to get HP Fire'd.
Stunky
Gastly can risk a Hypnosis to switch out. Everything else beats it, though I have to watch out for Explosion.
Taillow Really annoying. Gastly is a great lure though, surviving unboosted Brave Bird and OHKOing back with Sludge Bomb. Guts versions are super annoying, and I basically rely on residual damage to kill them.
Timburr
Very annoying due to its bulk and access to priority. I usually try to wear it down with Croagunk and then finish it off with Gastly.
Vullaby
Offensive Vullaby is somewhat rare, but incredibly annoying. Think Taillow + Hippopotas. Brave Bird is a pretty big threat, and nothing OHKOes it. Mienfoo doesn't even do enough with HJK to beat Roost. Chinchou and Staryu mean that I can stall for paralysis (or just kill it outright in the case of Chinchou), but still extremely annoying. It's a good thing they're rare.
Wynaut
It's Wynaut... I guess it can take down Croagunk if it wants, but Taunt will mean that Scraggy gets a free Dragon Dance.

Defensive Threats

Bronzor
Bronzor is pretty rare nowadays. I guess everything on my team can wear it down and it can't do enough damage back to be a threat.
Cottonee
Encore is really annoying, so I avoid setting up while it's alive. It can't take hits though, so it goes down quickly.
Dwebble
Fake Out and two Hi Jump Kicks will kill it. It gets up SR at the cost of its life.
Ferroseed
Surprise Hidden Power Fires from everywhere will destroy it in no time. It does wall Gastly though.
Frillish
Another huge annoyance. Luckily, it can't do much at all to Chinchou or Staryu, and will eventually lose. It completely walls Mienfoo and Croagunk though, which is really annoying.
Hippopotas
Mienfoo Fake Outs and U-turns to Staryu, who can easily kill it with Hydro Pump.
Lileep
Huge annoyance, especially if it gets a Storm Drain boost. My Fighting-types beat it, but they will all take quite a bit of damage from a +1 Energy Ball.
Munchlax
They usually try to beat Gastly, but I 4-5HKO with Sludge Bomb while they 3HKO with Pursuit, meaning that if I get a Hypnosis in I win.
Mienfoo Defensive Mienfoo? What. Well, 196 Def versions survive +1 Scraggy Hi Jump Kick, but I will usually see this from earlier damage rolls and weaken it appropriately.
Nosepass
Can't do anything to Mienfoo, and is set-up bait for Scraggy.
Porygon
Defensive Porygon? Mienfoo can destroy it with Hi Jump Kick and use Regenerator to heal off the damage.
Shelmet
Taunt Scraggy. End of story.
Slowpoke
Quite annoying if it has Toxic. Chinchou will do massive damage with Thunderbolt, and Staryu can beat it barring Special Defense drops from Psychic.
Tentacool
Can't really do anything to Chinchou, and Croagunk can soak up Toxic Spikes.
Vullaby
Pretty much the same as the offensive version, but it is easier to play around if it lacks U-turn. However, it is such a big threat that I usually try to get a Hypnosis on it so that I can freely switch to Chinchou.

i've thinked to test Taunt in Scraggy one time, it could be really interesting

anyway, Great Team!

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is a great team. I've faced it a number of times on the ladder.

The only critique I'd make is that a weakness to Drilbur in this metagame can be really devastating, and while Scraggy is good, most teams are prepared to deal with Scraggy in one way or another. You could consider replacing Scraggy with Slowpoke, who not only can beat Drilbur even after it has Swords Danced, but also has good synergy with Mienfoo and can take hits from the best of them.

Happy 1k!

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is what I would call one of the standard lc teams this round- especially with Staryu now on the rise. The only suggestion I can make is Ice Beam over Hidden Power Fire on Chinchou. You already have Hidden Power Fire on Staryu, and the ability to have a check to DD Dragons aside from Fake Out Mienfoo and Hydro Miss is kind of nice.

Edit: OK so we aren't really in a "round" but you get it

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Your EVs >.<

Change Mienfoo to: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Since you're using Payback, the extra special defense evs are much more helpful for surviving a Gastly Sludge Bomb, the extra attack probably doesn't do shit to calcs anyway. Unless that attack point is vital to some kind of strategy, calc it. If it's only for like Dwebble, then just switch HP Fire on Staryu back to Rapid Spin, Dwebble would run the hell away if it even sees a Stayu on your team anyway.

Change Scraggy to: the standard spread on the analysis or just 14 defenses come on iss! HJK doesn't OHKO ANY Mienfoo with your spread at +1 nor is it optimal defensively, if you really want bulk for multiple DD's, you can go 116 in hp then 36 in both defenses to get 23/21/21 after eviolite, which is a lot better than 24/19/19.

You know how I feel about Croagunk :/. Good team though :o.

edit: theres no crabs on this team

I have to say great team. It covers its threats incredibly well, and peaking #1 with it is also cool. We both know that your team loses to my team (pretty badly) to Sandstorm so Snover might be an option over Chinchou.

9.5/10 good job, man. I subtracted .3 because of your shitty shoutouts

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey broski I'd have to agree with aska and say try out a Slowpoke over Scraggy. Although it gives Gastly a setup opportunity, its excellent synergy with the rest of the team makes it an excellent choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)