(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Yes I remember the girl near Tohjo Falls with all the Bulbasaur line for example
And on that same route to Victory Road there's a trainer with a Blastoise, on the daycare route there's a girl with a Bulbasaur, on the bottom floor of... what's the cave with lapras called again? there's a trainer with all three starters; at the lake of rage there's a guy with all three mid-stages iirc...

I am annoyed by the lack of the creativity of the Legue which figures 4 Elite trainers + the Champion. I really wish in a restyling "tournament-like": there is a challenge divided in 4 turns with 16 players (15 are generated by the AI and the remaining one is your alter ego in the game). The AI pairs casually the players who have to battle with their pokemon team and the winner has to defeat the Champion. Obviously, your team is restored after every battle. It should be a sort of the League you can see in the Anime, which includes different turns one after another until you reach the pinnacle and you are deemed worthy to challenge the Champion of the region.
This way, the battles are much less predictable because you have to consider all the other 15 players +Champion's teams when choosing your Pokemons and their movesets.

Well we have the Friend Safari for the Kanto and Kalos starters, but I certainly wouldn't mind walking into long grass and finding wild chickorita or snivy.
I think that the main problem for this is that starters have a "really" high base stats when compared to other pokemons in the region, so they will end easily overpowered.

Last edited:
I think the "league" is the Victory Road itself ... and after you have to beat the elite 4 then the champion ! But restyling it in a tournament like league could also be interesting :)

The Victory Road as a part of the Legue is meaningless in my opinion; I can see it only as the hardest route due to high leveled wild and trained pokemons. Stop, nothing else. You often have to use random HMs you have certainly dropped before, so you have to run an HMs slave.

This is the complete list of HMs I think are useless (from my least favorite to the most acceptable):
(1) Cut: suffers harsh competition with Streght, which has an higher base power. Maybe Strenght may include the former even in terms of cutting/eradicating trees as an in-game effect.
(2) Whirlpool: this is really like Rock Smash because it enables us to surpass boring random obstacles. Surf should include this feature, in my opinion.
(3) Rock Smash: such a good name for a Fighting-type attack and such a low power/utility. Strenght should include the possibility to do this after a quest in-game.
(4) Flash: it isn't a HM anymore, but is still annoying walking in the darkness. (Fun fact: in HG/SS even without Flash you can still see enough to not move in vain). If the game gives you a Key item such as a "Torch", it should be still fine.
(5) Sub: useful "only" to find the legendary mascotte of your version of ORAS. It lose utility outside of it. I can even save this move only because can be an acceptable move, but suffers harsh competition from Waterfall which is stronger, despite being even more situational. Waterfall, which is the polar opposite movement, should include this feature in my opinion.

Surf, Waterfall, Strenght are acceptable options and I think they should be upgraded in-game towards quest or, simply, winning badges.

I am annoyed by the lack of the creativity of the Legue which figures 4 Elite trainers + the Champion. I really wish in a restyling "tournament-like": there is a challenge divided in 4 turns with 16 players (15 are generated by the AI and the remaining one is your alter ego in the game). The AI pairs casually the players who have to battle with their pokemon team and the winner has to defeat the Champion. Obviously, your team is restored after every battle. It should be a sort of the League you can see in the Anime, which includes different turns one after another until you reach the pinnacle and you are deemed worthy to challenge the Champion of the region.
This way, the battles are much less predictable because you have to consider all the other 15 players +Champion's teams when choosing your Pokemons and their movesets.
To be honest, I think I'd find that kind of boring.
Instead of going up against the best of the region's best you're going up against... a ton of random dudes. Wooooo.

But, these trainers of the League have reached the League, so they have 8 badges like you and they should be really strong anyway. They are "random dudes", but they have 8 badges like you ====> it doesn't matter if they don't have the title of Elite 4.

Last edited:
I think it would be wise to revamp Victory Road in that case. Maybe make it explicit that Victory Road is home to the "Proving Grounds" for trainers wishing to beat the Elite Four. You can make Victory Road more of a maze then. In order to leave Victory Road and reach the League you have to beat every trainer in Victory Road (and thus you will be "one of the few" to do so).

But, these trainers of the Legue have reached the League, so they have 8 badges like you and they should be really strong anyway. They are "random dudes", but they have 8 badges like you ====> it doesn't matter if they don't have the title of Elite 4.
Every trainer in Victory Road must logically either have 8 badges or be recognized as powerful enough by the league to get there. It matters to me quite a bit that the last fights in the game are not just randomly generated people; you can say they have all the qualifications in the world but who cares? They won't be a memorable or significant experience because there's no character, no personality, no defining traits because it's literally randomized. It's like if in Star Wars they replaced Darth Vader with just... some guy who you say is powerful. We don't remember Darth Vader just for his power; we remember him for his imposing character, appearance, etc.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, Darth Vader was also present from the get-go and had a significant amount of screen time. You can't realistically have every fight in Victory Road be against a memorable character, and some amount of filler mooks are required to pad out the dungeon.

It's not like most Elite 4 members are even memorable, anyway.

I'm not trying to say that all Elite 4 members are on par with one of the most well-known movie villains of all time. I'm just saying that they're a bit more memorable than random youngster you fought on Route 206.
Are there even youngsters on Route 206?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm not trying to say that all Elite 4 members are on par with one of the most well-known movie villains of all time. I'm just saying that they're a bit more memorable than random youngster you fought on Route 206.
Are there even youngsters on Route 206?
I get ya, it's just that the E4 tends to not leave any sort of big impression.

Also, no.

To be fair, many Gym Leaders and Elite Four members blur together after a while, especially since we have (combined individuals) 80 of them between every core series game as of Generation VI.

Here's something that is a reference to what is going on in the Little Things you LIKE thread:
I hate when people hate Pikachu just because of its popularity and exposure. Seriously, that is a ridiculous reason to dislike something. Do I want Raichu to get more attention? Yes, but I don't blame Pikachu for that as it isn't its fault. Pikachu is still a cool, well-designed Pokémon in the end.

Though if you already dislike Pikachu and its status as mascot, popularity, exposure, etc., just increases your already existing dislike, that's fine.

The Victory Road as a part of the Legue is meaningless in my opinion; I can see it only as the hardest route due to high leveled wild and trained pokemons. Stop, nothing else. You often have to use random HMs you have certainly dropped before, so you have to run an HMs slave.

This is the complete list of HMs I think are useless (from my least favorite to the most acceptable):
(1) Cut: suffers harsh competition with Streght, which has an higher base power. Maybe Strenght may include the former even in terms of cutting/eradicating trees as an in-game effect.
(2) Whirlpool: this is really like Rock Smash because it enables us to surpass boring random obstacles. Surf should include this feature, in my opinion.
(3) Rock Smash: such a good name for a Fighting-type attack and such a low power/utility. Strenght should include the possibility to do this after a quest in-game.
(4) Flash: it isn't a HM anymore, but is still annoying walking in the darkness. (Fun fact: in HG/SS even without Flash you can still see enough to not move in vain). If the game gives you a Key item such as a "Torch", it should be still fine.
(5) Sub: useful "only" to find the legendary mascotte of your version of ORAS. It lose utility outside of it. I can even save this move only because can be an acceptable move, but suffers harsh competition from Waterfall which is stronger, despite being even more situational. Waterfall, which is the polar opposite movement, should include this feature in my opinion.

Surf, Waterfall, Strenght are acceptable options and I think they should be upgraded in-game towards quest or, simply, winning badges.
As someone who likes HMs, I really disagree. Victory Road should be the hardest Route ever. It is where you use everything you have learned during the game to get through. It should be a long maze, high levelled wild Pokemon, diverse trainers with up to 5 Pokemon on their party (only E4 and rival gets more) and requires every useable HM to go through. Why have to unlock them in the first place otherwise? Have cut, strength and surf puzzles. Use Waterfall to get up a wall. Smash some rocks.

And when you finally get through this hellish route, you earn the right to face the strongest trainers in the region

As someone who likes HMs, I really disagree. Victory Road should be the hardest Route ever. It is where you use everything you have learned during the game to get through. It should be a long maze, high levelled wild Pokemon, diverse trainers with up to 5 Pokemon on their party (only E4 and rival gets more) and requires every useable HM to go through. Why have to unlock them in the first place otherwise? Have cut, strength and surf puzzles. Use Waterfall to get up a wall. Smash some rocks.

And when you finally get through this hellish route, you earn the right to face the strongest trainers in the region
I agree. That and it really doesn't take as many HMs as you would think. For instance, Hoenn's Victory Road only needs five: Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Rock Smash, and Flash*. And you know what learns all of those? Psyduck. Combined with the fact that Surf (and Waterfall in Generation VI) is a very good move anyway, you can teach the other four moves to a Psyduck and only lose one slot to an HM slave.

*As always, it is possible to avoid using Flash.

I agree. That and it really doesn't take as many HMs as you would think. For instance, Hoenn's Victory Road only needs five: Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Rock Smash, and Flash*. And you know what learns all of those? Psyduck. Combined with the fact that Surf (and Waterfall in Generation VI) is a very good move anyway, you can teach the other four moves to a Psyduck and only lose one slot to an HM slave.

*As always, it is possible to avoid using Flash.
Only HMs that should be used are:
- Cut
- Fly
- Surf
- Strength
- Rock Smash
- Waterfall
- Rock Climb

Whirlpool I am iffy on, it was only really ever used once. Defog/Flash eh they can be like Dig or Teleport.

I guess one thing I'd kind of like to see is having the Elite 4 pop up a bit during the story, rather than just the Champion. Gen 6 kind of had that with Malva being in the news broadcasts, but overall anything of that sort is saved for the post game.

Like, i can always see the Champion, but why not at least throw more in? Would address a bit of the "where are you people during these region scale terrorist attacks" question, and add a little guessing fun to it, like "which one is the champion" if that makes sense?

One of my favorite Manga arcs was Yellow, despite the weak writing on the protagonist herself. There's something more imposing about the Elite 4 as a group of awesome characters with decent screentime each, with Agatha, Loreli, Bruno, and even Lance getting a moment of some kind before the final battles. It makes it feel more like an alliance to fight through rather than "[Champion] and their merry band of sidekicks". There's often less to the Elite Four than to the Team Admins, which is annoying to me, when technically, the former are supposed to be your ultimate goal as a trainer. Even if they're not villains, I'd assume they're celebrities. Giving them more exposure, publicity, and an image (if not their actual character) would also help to make the region feel more like a cohesive or real world, even without doing a particularly deep or in-depth plot.

[...] We don't remember Darth Vader just for his power; we remember him for his imposing character, appearance, etc.
The Elite 4 can still appear in the Victory Road as "unofficial gym leaders" i.e. the Kimono Girls in HG/SS, who blocks your path towards the League in Kanto unless you defeat them in a row. They have only one Eevolution, but you have to fight 5 of them in a row and they are really leveled (considering Johto standards).
The Elite 4 can appear sometimes in the game even for battles (with pokemon leveled accordingly the badges you have, obviously) and, after you win the League tournament-like I talked about, they should appear in the League re-matches with a proper team. The second time you decided to beat the League the fights towards them can be randomized, so you can have the wrong lead ===> this challenge resembles much more like a true online challenge.

As someone who likes HMs, I really disagree. Victory Road should be the hardest Route ever. It is where you use everything you have learned during the game to get through. It should be a long maze, high levelled wild Pokemon, diverse trainers with up to 5 Pokemon on their party (only E4 and rival gets more) and requires every useable HM to go through. Why have to unlock them in the first place otherwise? Have cut, strength and surf puzzles. Use Waterfall to get up a wall. Smash some rocks. And when you finally get through this hellish route, you earn the right to face the strongest trainers in the region
Maybe you read wrong my post, but I'll clarify. I don't despise (for example) the idea to have to cut trees to continue the game. I don't like the utility of some HMs i.e. Cut during the game, so I think there should be more "HMs compression".
In my opnion, the game should give you the HMs Strenght to move rocks and, after you complete a quest, Strenght can be used even to root up trees (replacing Cut) and to smash rocks (replacing Rock Smash).
Can I ask you a question? How much do you use Cut, Whirlpool, Dive in-game outside puzzles? Do you like to drop a moveslot for them?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)