Living for the Applause (18-1)

Starting off explaining the name. I couldn't think of anything, but then I remembered ARTPOP is Out Now!!!!! (Go buy it!!) and I just knew I had to name my team after it. ARTPOP is one of the greatest albums I've listened to, and I am in LOVE.

I made a team using a couple of mons people have been complaining about since XY was implemented on Pokemon Showdown. I didn't expect much of it, at first, but then I ended up having sixteen wins before receiving my very first loss (However, the ladder was experiencing some technical difficulties this week, and through that time I was battling/testing, and I did receive some wins that were not recorded....). This surprised me greatly, due to my having a Talonflame and Rotom-w weakness. Though, I find these 2 mons can easily be worked out, and if my Smeargle can get Stealth Rocks down, Talonflame can't do much to me to begin with. Rotom-w can be stallled out by Gliscor, depending on what move it switches in on, and if Gliscor is faster.
Marriland hasn't update Azumarill's typing, when it is updated I will add the chart.....

Team at a Glance

"Fashion!" Smeargle --- Utility, Hazard Support, Sleep

@ Focus Sash

Own Tempo
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Spore
-Stealth Rock
-Sticky Web
-Parting Shot

Before I even pick my lead (no, I don't always lead with this guy), I analyze my opponent's team. I do this to see what hazards I might need, sometimes Spikes/Sticky Web are useless, and I also try to guess what my opponent will lead with, they will usually lead with a Grass-type so I can't Spore one of their mons. When the time is right, if I didn't lead with him, I bring Smeargle in to lay down hazards I need, and maybe even sleep a mon.
Synergy
Gliscor, Talonflame, Aegislash, Azumarill
"Dope" Gliscor --- Wall, Toxic Staller
/

@ Toxic Orb

Poison Heal
244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Impish Nature
-Substitute
-Protect
-Toxic
-Earthquake

Gliscor is quite honestly the glue to this team. It keeps many of its huge threats in check, and can even stall out a huge portion of them. He walls almost every physical sweeper in the tier. Gliscor is extremely annoying to play against, and has caused a great amount of rage-quits. Gliscor is quite honestly one of the best mons this tier has to offer.
Synergy
Lucario, Aegislash, Azumarill
Azumarill
"Venus" Talonflame --- Sweeper, Revenge Killer, Cleaner
/

@ Sharp Beak

Gale Wings
192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
-Swords Dance

One thing Talonflame is great at: Revenge killing. Especially in this tier, due to Stealth Rock not being as common as it would be. One thing Talonflame hates, however, is Rotom-w. As you can see, I also do not have a good answer for this menace. This greatly lowers Talonflame's usability... I feel as though, if I had a good Rotom-w check, Talonflame would perform much better. That's not to say, however, that Talonflame isn't still doing good job on my team, because it certainly is.
Synergy
Lucario, Aegislash
Gliscor
Azumarill
"Aura" (Mega) Lucario --- Sweeper, Cleaner
/

@ Lucarionite

Justified (Adaptability)
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake

The amount of people not complaining about this mon astounds me. People should be much more scared of this than any Aegislash or Talonflame ever should. Mega Lucaro doesn't even need Sword Dance to sweep through teams, its Close Combat does so much damage to anything, bar Ghost types or 4x resists, switching into it. I generally use this mon as a closer, and with Sticky Web on the field I can get it to mega-volve very easily.
Synergy
Talonflame, Azumarill
Gliscor, Talonflame, Aegislash, Azumarill
Gliscor, Talonflame​

"Donatella" Aegislash --- Tank, Bulky Attacker
/

@ Leftovers

Stance Change
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head

After changing Aegislash's set, I find it to be working much better. I am thinking of using Sacred Sword over Iron Head, just because of the coverage it brings. I am not sure if I should be using Adamant on Aegi tohugh, for a higher chance to kill (Mega)Gengar with Shadow Sneak. I also find King's Shield to be quite impressive atm. It allows it to counter/check things it normally couldn't. However, that's not to say I don't still think Aegislash could be performing a little better. It is doing quite good currently, though.
Synergy
Smeargle
Gliscor, Talonflame
Lucario, Azumarill
Talonflame, Azumarill
"Applause" Azumarill --- Revenge Killer, Dragon Counter
/

@ Choice Band

Huge Power
168 HP / 252 Atk /4 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Waterfall
-Superpower

Azumarill is here for many reasons. Firstly, Blaziken and Talonflame. Secondly, dragons. This is probably my go-to mon when times get rough, as it can revenge kill almost anything in this meta. Azumarill is a huge bitch to deal with, as all its supposed counters get a huge dent just by switching in, even if the move is resisted. Azumarill brings many strong factors to the table, which help make it one of the biggest new staples we have this gen, including: great defensive typing, pretty good bulk, amazing STABs, great priority, and a good coverage move in Superpower.
Synergy
Gliscor
Talonflame, Lucario, Aegislash
Gliscor, Lucario, Aegislash

Conclusion (Closing Comments)
So, this is a pretty great team, even though it's weak to some of the biggest threats on the ladder currently. I would like to point out, however, many of those threats can be played around. For instance, after SR damage, Talonflame can't really switch in, and as for Rotom-w, it is fears the potential OHKO from Mega Lucario's Close Combat, depending on the set. I am hoping for some feedback, however, to patch up some of these holes. I was have been running Goodra over Talonflame, but with a recent rate, I might put Talonflame back in over Aegislash. I didn't really like Talonflame<Goodra. However, I can see Aegislash<Goodra being a better switch. Not sure if I should use Crunch or EQ on and also Extreme Speed or Bullet Punch on (Mega)Lucario, thoughts?
Fashion! (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Parting Shot

Dope (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Venus (Talonflame) (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 60 Spd / 252 Atk / 192 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Aura (Lucario) (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch

Donatella (Aegislash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 25 Spd
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Applause (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Major, Medium, Minor
Rotom-w: Absolutely no safe switch in. Best hope is for it to switch its Scarf, and then maybe OHKO with Mega Lucario.
Gastrodon: Can't really do much to it, though Lucario could potentially blaze through it.
Talonflame: After SR, it can't do much. However, I won't always have SR up.
Alakazam: Annoying as hell to deal with, I'd have to sacrifice a mon, if I didn't already, to break sash, though I could then get a free mega-volve on Lucario by using Bullet Punch to kill it, which would also hurt my opponent in the long run. (I am doing half pink and half blue, because Idk which area to put it in....)
Trevenant: Annoying as hell. Using Toxic with Gliscor helps a lot, though, I usually just pray they don't Subsitute the first turn, which is when I switch in Gliscor.
Mega Lucario: Would be a biger threat if more people would use it. Complete monster.

Tried Automize Special Aegislash: No
All out hazard support Smeargle: Dropped Spikes for Parting Shot
252Atk/252Spe EVs on Talonflame: New EVs are much better.

Last edited:
Automotize aegislash isn't meant to sweep, it is meant as a late-game cleaner. Mold breaker excadrill w/ rapid spin is a pretty good fit for your team, because it can scare rotom-W with a mold breaker earthquake (also gengar) and rapid spin hazards away for talonflame. I guess you could replace that with aegislash.

Matt Tuck Magic Coat would be useless, and cause too much 4MSS when factoring in what I use Smeargle for. Smeargle isn't meant to be in on a mon that uses Taunt. I switch it i on walls, or mons Smeargle is faster than, to get off the much needed Spore, and set up hazards efficiently.

Hidious That makes sense, Automize Aegi being a cleaner. As I said, however, I am considering mixed Aegi. I feel as though I can benefit from it much more than I do Automize Aegi. However, I do not feel as though Excadrill will help me at all. I understand why you would mention it, though, but I just don't see my team benefitting from it at all. (Talonflame does not need spin support to be effective.)

Consider throwing a weakness policy on Aegislash. Most people won't even bother attacking it in Shield Mode unless the attack is super effective, and once hit with a super-effective attack, it gets x2 Attack power (much better than the boost from Life Orb. I also have a hard time accepting an Aegislash without King's Shield, simply because the versatility it gives in one move is fantastic, and it shuts down direct physical attackers like Lucario, Scizor, Mega-Kangaskhan, etc due to their fear of cutting their attack in half. So, an example for Aegislash would be:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword
- Autotomize
- King's Shield

welsknight
I was thinking of running Mixed Aegislash, as I am not a huge fan of Weakness Policy. It's a similar set, just uses Shadow Ball over Automize and Shadow Sneak over Claw, with a Spooky Plate.

All these rates are great, and I appreciate them. However, you guys aren't really helping this team's problem... I am thinking of running SashZam over Talonflame, as well, to minimize my bulky-water weakness by using Energy Ball, which got a nice buff from 80BP to 90BP. What is everybody's thoughts on this?

Last edited:
mixed aegi is what i use and it's great.

NoGoodNames (Aegislash) @ Spooky Plate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Really applaud the Shadow ball+Sacred sword coverage, it gives my stall team the most trouble. I think you should stick with BP b/c you don't have much for opposing faires anyway and you have other things, like azumarill, to check talonflame.
For the record, my anti-lead jelli in my stall uses magic coat, and that completely screws over your whole lead program (and basically every smeargle i face) if you don't think about it. Really be on the lookout for magic coat.
Don't worry too much about having a rotom-w check either. With enough speed (and hoping the rotom-w you're facing isn't scarfed), sub protect gliscor can stall out rotom-w of hydro pumps. I don't really know what to suggest b/c you have such beautiful synergy.
Your team seems to have a little trouble with lando-t tho. Coupled with another defensive thing, like maybe jellicent, your azumarill can be effectively neutered. Since there's no ice punch on luke, and lando-t outspeeds aegislash before autotomize, it could be troublesome for your team.
As far as trevenant goes, I'm against it. I tried it on my stall team, and it works wonders against noobs, but its purpose in your team is to spinblock. The premier spinner in the tier right now is exca, and trevenant will lose against exca if its sp. def for starmie, and lose against starmie if def for exca. Aegislash is the superior spinblocker.
Azumarill is honestly more of a glue to this team than anything else, its water/fairy typing just provides so many resistances. (It forms a decent defensive core with heatran now that I notice it.) But when azumarill is gone, a lot of holes appear in this team, so keep that thing healthy.
Good team, good luck, and good bye :D

Srn9130 This isn't a Pokebank team haha. So there is, thankfully, no Landorus-therian. But yah, I definitely try to keep in mind what mons all have Magic Coat, and go on from there. I do see your point in Azumarill beign the glue, and as I was typing this RMT, I definitely realized what amazing synergy it brings to the table on this team. That is also very true, Gliscor stalling out Rotom-w. I try to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible, but due to the powerful nature of this current meta, it can get a little tricky, especially when you keep in mind Azu is only working with that 50 base Spe. My team definitely appreciates Sticky Web support more than anything, as I mentioned in my Smeargle's analysis.

As far as trevenant goes, I'm against it. I tried it on my stall team, and it works wonders against noobs, but its purpose in your team is to spinblock. The premier spinner in the tier right now is exca, and trevenant will lose against exca if its sp. def for starmie, and lose against starmie if def for exca. Aegislash is the superior spinblocker.
As far as this little portion goes, I was thinking this over and over in my head, and I always came to the conclusion that Aegislash is generally a far superior spinblocker than Trevenant, and I can definitely see why. I was mostly considering Trevenant due to its unique typing, and I am in love with the Harvest ability. However, I do see why Trevenant would be a bad idea. It definitely appears to be underwhelming when I play against it, for the opponent at least.

MagikaripIsOP The set I was thinking of uses Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword and King's Shield.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Oh derp I didn't see that this wasn't Pokebank. But yeah, keep Azu healthy, and you'll be fine I think.

Hey, just a quick rate, but I find that you have all physical attacker on this team bar Aegislash, meaning physically defensive Pokemon seem like a pain to deal with. I'd recommend trying out Nasty Plot Lucario over your current Swords Dance one. Nasty Plot Lucario is very unexpected, and does a lot of damage with Adaptability Aura Sphere. Also, while Talonflame seems to be checked nicely be Azumarill, I can see Rotom-W being a serious problem. D: Maybe try out a grass to comfortabley take on Rotom-W? Overall, though, great team, and I can see it continuing to have success! :D

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Got some nitpicks:

Firstly, I'd use mixed Aegi. Another user stated that Atomatize Aegi isn't meant to sweep; so horsing ly why spend time investing in speed when you could use that god almighty bulk instead? I'd use Kings Shield on this mixed set (which you can find somewhere on smogon) since using Defnsive stance's bulk really makes the mixed set IMO. WP or Spooky P work on the set.

Next, Magic Coat MUST be used over Spikes. There is no 4MMSi this case because you have to run Magic Coat if you don't want Deo-N to totally stop you. Also I find Spikes isn't as great anymore and Smeargle hardly ever has time for both Sr and SW, and I just don't see it getting three layers of hazard up at all (Sr / SW / 1 Spike).

I would replace Gliscor for Gyarados since it can spam Intimidates as well as offer more offensive presence to this team. It can mega evolve and EQ Rotom-W as well; however, since we now have a count to Blaziken, I'd say Azu can be dropped for a better answer to Rotom-W. I'd go with Dragonite over Azu to maintain that priority you have going as well as offering some pretty heavy offense to the team. Smeargle's Magic Coat is a huge necessity to help keep rocks off the field as well so keep that in mind!

Good luck!

EDIT: ignore typos please I'm on an icrap.

Shurtugal This is a pre-bank team haha. I did change to the Aegi set you mentioned; I like it much more. I did not, however, make any other changes. Don't like Gyara or Nite much lol.

Last edited:
I don't really see a point for the "Sharp Beak". All it's doing is boosting only one of your moves which isn't all that helpful; maybe for revenge kills but that's about it. Other moves would make it seem like you have no item at all. I would recomend "Bulk Up Talonflame". Bulk Up Talonflame is really good considering it can Bulk Up on a switch and wall physical sweepers by spamming a combo of Roost and Bulk Up as well as making Talonflame a more efficient sweeper. I'm not that big of a fan of Swords Dance considering it's meant for more bulky Pokemon and you can get 1 hit by many Pokemon such as "Greninja, Garchomp, Azumarill and Rotom-W". Bulk Up does help in a way against these physical sweepers; something most teams have at least 2 of. Walling most fighting types and being able to set up many Bulk Up's; it may as well be a successful sweep.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Galewings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Hope I helped!

P.S. - You don't have a rapid spinner, Talonflame will be losing half its health before it even does anything, you should look into a spinner.

I don't know about you, but what I've found from using Smeargle is that he doesn't often get the opportunity to Spike. What I highly suggest as a 4th move is Parting Shot. Smeargle is hugely predictable, and because of this it also makes it pretty easy to read your opponent, for example, the switch after the Spore. Typically, people just sacrifice their Smeargle while trying to set up as much as possible, but this is unwise. Usually your opponent will choose which Pokemon he wants asleep, then switch to something that can set up on it. I say keep the tempo on your side by using Parting Shot. When the inevitable switch is made, you will have lowered its offenses and can bring in an appropriate counter, thus keeping the initiative on your side. Consequently, you haven't just sacrificed your Smeargle (and hopefully its Sash), which can then back in at another time and set up Stealth Rock/Sticky Web and or continue to plague their offense with Parting Shot.

KyuremG Sharp beak helps because most of the time, Talonflame will be using Bave Bird anyways, due to its priority, which allows it to beat Azumarill and Greninja most of the time. Of the 4 mons you listed as troublesome for Talonflame, only 2 actually are; however, standard Garchomp is 2HKO'd by Talonflame Brave Bird, so it can't even switch into Talonflame. I also don't think Bulk Up on Talonflame would be beneficial at all, due to its biggest counters/switch-ins being Rotom-w and Tyranitar. Neither of which care about the +1Def boost, due to Tyranitar OHKOing with Stone Edge anyways, and Rotom-w hitting on Talonflame's SpD.

dragonizzlenite I love this idea. Parting Shot completely fled my mind. Incredible idea. 10/10.

Honestly I'm really seeing Aegislash as the odd man out here. He offers redundant defensive synergy with your other mons and by your own admission is not pulling its weight offensively. As you've noted Rotom-W is a big problem for your team, as are any electric types that carry ice coverage. I recommend a specially defensive grass or dragon type like Trevenant or Goodra. You could even run Gooey so that you could slow opposing Talonflame, allowing your non speed-creeped Talonflame to outspeed if it comes down to it.

Your lack of Spin makes this a really precarious gameplan. Ofc Talonflame gets wrecked by Stealth Rocks but more importantly Lucario and Aegislash get neutered by Sticky Web. You can't rely on the opposing team not having Spin in order to win the Speed war.

Can you explain the Spe EVs on Gliscor? It seems wasted since he's not going to outpace a lot of checks and Protect/Toxic don't really care what order you go. Seems like you'd be better off putting those stats in Def. What are you trying to outspeed with Sub/EQ?

Talonflame is better off with the standard Flying Gem / Acrobatics set. It gets much more implied sustainability, doesn't get absolutely demolished by regeneration, and also the first Acrobatics (1.7*110bp) can help break through walls that you otherwise couldn't.

Lovelace I tried Goodra over Talonflame, and I really ddin't like it. I never thought of using it over Aegislash, though. That might work better, honestly. (Also with the changed/updated sets, I forgot to change Aegislash + Smeargle descriptions...)

urbsyno
  1. Honestly, I don't have any problems at all with hazards. That being said, a Rapid Spinner seems redundant to me.
  2. I use those EVs because I want to outspeed Rotom-w, so I can Toxic stall it to death. I might use the EVs on Gliscor analysis, though. Might work better.
  3. I am not a fan at all of that set for Talonflame, either. Also, I disagree with Flying Gem being allowed, because you can't even obtain it in the game.

Lovelace I tried Goodra over Talonflame, and I really ddin't like it. I never thought of using it over Aegislash, though. That might work better, honestly. (Also with the changed/updated sets, I forgot to change Aegislash + Smeargle descriptions...)

urbsyno
  1. Honestly, I don't have any problems at all with hazards. That being said, a Rapid Spinner seems redundant to me.
  2. I use those EVs because I want to outspeed Rotom-w, so I can Toxic stall it to death. I might use the EVs on Gliscor analysis, though. Might work better.
  3. I am not a fan at all of that set for Talonflame, either. Also, I disagree with Flying Gem being allowed, because you can't even obtain it in the game.
I'm not sure how you "don't have any problems at all with hazards". I find it hard to believe and would chalk it up to either small sample size or bad opponents.

While you're spending those EVs to outspeed Rotom-W, almost all standard Rotom-W sets are designed around OHKOing Gliscor with Hydro Pump. You're doing something drastically wrong if you're keeping Gliscor in against Rotom.

If you don't want to use Flying Gem then I guess that's a separate issue. However, why not just run Life Orb since you're fine with recoil anyways? Boosts Flare Blitz, gives 10% more to Brave Bird.

urbsyno Lol. If Rotom-w switches in on either Sub or Toxic; Rotom-w easily loses. As for Life orb, I tried it, and it wasn't at all needed. The things you'll be hitting Flare Blitz with, anyways, are already OHKO'd. And no, Hazards aren't a problem at all. Very easy to keep them off the field in this meta. Also, seeing how I don't use Talonflame much, if it all, using a spinner just for it is a wasted slot. Also, most spinners, if not all, bring horrible synergy with my team. Another reason why I would never drop anything for one.

Although mentioned above, I think that one of the most flawed things that could happen to this team, is that it is mainly physical. Lucario could make a change to a special attacker, which lets this team harder to wall. Also one way to deal with rotom w and gastrodon, is to use Poliwrath. Come in on a water attack, encore and then belly drum. Poliwrath outspeeds the normal nonscarfed version of rotom. They do not usually invest in speed, also with water absorb, he takes no damage. If this set becomes more common, you may not find it as viable.

Poliwrath@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Encore
- Waterfall
- Brick Break

Poliwrath hits a surprising speed tier able to outspeed many pokemon. It at +6 is able to OHKO Rotom W with Brick Break.
+6 252 Atk Poliwrath Brick Break vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 348-409 (114.85 - 134.98%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Poliwrath Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 450-529 (105.63 - 124.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This shows the power to defeat these two. This guy also provides immunity and recovery through water absorb. Seriously I am not kidding Poliwrath provides a strong teammate especially to ground, fire and rock types that normally would get nailed by water. A landorus and victini, on my team makes a really troll way to face the opponent. Although I realize that you are play prebank, poliwrath I believe is still available. Another pokemon that goes well with Poli, Is Houndoom. It provides the special attack you need while giving the water coverage poli needs. I have considered aegislash since both of these guys arent good against fairies.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you aren't going to use Magic Coat, at least use Max Attack Explosion on Smeargle; while it isn't that powerful, it is often times powerful JUST ENOUGH to prevent Smeargle from being set-up bait. It's a thing you have to use more than question; it's efficiency will prove itself I guarantee it. Personally, Spikes are too much to invest into when Defogers are everywhere; while I find them personally overrated, setting up too much is now possible. Spikes just isn't worth it anymore, especially with all the Pokemon that aren't grounded in this meta like Gengar and Talonflame and common threats like Wash and LandoT; I sometimes find that Spikes hits less than half an average team.

I still feel strongly about my other changes, but I only came here to nitpick at Smeargle. Good luck!

bigbear Poliwrath sounds interesting, though I'm not too sure if it would bring good synergy with my team. I do like using mons that are out of the norm, however, so I will conider it. I am thinking of using Goodra for Gastro/Rotom-w, he has Power Whip, which can nail them both.

Shurtugal I dropped Spikes for Parting Shot, and I am liking Parting Shot a lot. It is a very nice move; helps bring in some much needed momentum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)