Loki's Minions (Trick Room Team)

Okay so i'm still really new to competitive battling and 5th Generation in general. However, I really like teams that are "different" like weather and trick room. This is a rough draft of my team and I hope to get lots of criticism and assistance to counter threats.

Dusclops: Loki
N: Relaxed
A: Pressure
I: Eviolite
Ev: 6 Hp / 252 Def / 252 SpD
~Trick Room
~Seismic Toss
~Will O' Wisp
~Pain Split

Loki, god of Trickery. I think that is an apt name don't you? Not to totally copypaste from Smogon's description: I'll try to speak a little differently. What is really neat is the new item Eviolite. Man those Defenses are so bulky it's insane. Top it off with recovery in the form of Pain Split and You've got one annoying dude. Trick Room set-up is great, considering that is the point of the Team.

Edit: Change Ev spread to more SpD and less Hp.

Porygon2: Garmr
N: Quiet
A: Trace
I: Eviolite
Ev: 254 SpA / 128 Def / 128 SpD
~Trick Room
~Recover
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam

I haven't tried this Ev Spread yet but I think it can work. Eviolite makes up for the lack of defenses and Recover can continually heal Garmr. Thunderbolt and Ice beam are just good coverage. And of course Trick Room is boss. If they switch in an offensive threat I can switch out to another one of my awesome Norse Pokémon.

Edit: Change Ev spread.

Edit: Formerly a Slowbro

Hitmontop: Dverg
N: Adamant
A: Technician
I: Life Orb
Ev: 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Fake Out
~Mach Punch
~Bullet Punch
~Sucker Punch

Hitmontop is something new I'm trying. I wanted a Pokémon to swoop in and do some priority damage. Fake out and Mach punch/Bullet Punch are good for that. Sucker Punch can take out pesky Psychics. Top works regardless of Trick Room's trickery which is nice and something I feel I probably need more of.

Reuniclus: Guldfaxe
A: Magic Guard
Ev: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 6 Def
~Trick Room
~Psyshock
~Focus Blast
~Shadow Ball

This guy is pure power potential. With magic guard he takes no life orb damage and with trick room set up he is one of the "fastest" guys around. I chose Psyshock over Psychic in case some one trys to pull out a SpD wall.

Escavalier: Ljósálfr
N: Brave
A: Shell Armor
I: Choice Band
Ev: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Def
~Megahorn
~Pursuit
~Swords Dance
~Iron Head

Pure Power. This guy is rocking in regards to power. Swords Dance when they think you'll knock 'em and whamo you have a sweep on your hands (so long as Trick Room is active) This is still experimental and I want ya'lls opinion about it.
Edit: Changed the item to Choice Band because he is best as a revenge killer and I think the band suits him.

by Aokamidu on Deviantart

Edit: Formerly a Marowak

Emboar: Svartalf
A: Blaze
Ev: 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
~Superpower
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Overheat

I had Marowak here originally but he didn't have enough coverage. Emboar is my next option due to Woodchuck's suggestion. He is a mixed attacker and can better handle threats I formerly could not (Skarmory and other bulky Steels) Hopefully with all his coverage he'll cover a lot of loose threads.

Okay so there is the basic team and I'd love to hear your opinions and fixes.

Edit: I've changed up some Ev spreads and changed a Pokémon. I'm having trouble against Poison Heal Gliscor and I would like some advice. Also I want someone that can a good Fire attack. Is there a Pokémon that will fit both of these bills for me?

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Typically on any Eviolite user it's better to invest EVs in defenses rather than HP. I'm not sure on this one; it may be better to go 128/128 in the defenses and then 248 in Sp. Atk rather than the spread you're running on Pory2 right now.
Run Fire Punch on Marowak over Chip Away so you can hurt Nattorei and at least touch Skarmory.
Actually, SkarmBliss can probably stall out Trick Room over, and over, and over again. Stall hurts your team pretty badly, you having no Rapid Spinner, no Toxic, no mixed attackers...
For this reason I suggest you run an Emboar over Marowak. Emboar can go mixed and beat both Skarmory and Blissey.

Nice team, here's my thoughts though:

Reuniclus prefers a spread of 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA, since with naturally high HP he just needs a few extra points in defensse to even out his physical side.

A Life Orb + Swords Dance Escavalier may be incredibly powerful, but instant power is better in Trick Room and Escavalier doesn't mind not being able to switch attacks due to his nonexistant coverage. Switch to a Choice Band set... although you'll have to watch out for Chandelure.

Also regarding Evolite pokes, investing in HP is best since it makes you bulkier on both sides, even if it does reduce Pain Split's effectiveness. Here's some calcs to show the difference:

Dusclops @ Evolite
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spe)
(284/504/528 after evolite boost)

Latios @ Choice Specs Draco Meteor = 53.9% - 63.7%
Haxorus @ Choice Band Outrage = 58.5% - 69%

Dusclops @ Evolite
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
(222/538/591 after boost, depending on nature)

(Sassy) Latios @ Choice Specs Draco Meteor = 62.2% - 73.4%
(Relaxed) Haxorus @ Choice Band Outrage = 64% - 75.7%

Air Balloon Heatran can catch fire attacks as well as a bunch of other stuff, has perfect coverage on everything but itself, and 2HKOs most Gliscor unboosted. You really need a water resist too though. Just make sure it has an electric or grass move powerful enough to hit water types hard.

Changed up a few things and I'm going to test the team now to see how the fixes went. Thanks for all the input.

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First of all, I'd like to say you are very clever for opting to run trick room in the current metagame. Many players are leaning towards fast sweepers with relatively little bulk, so taking their speed away will easily give you the upper hand in the long run. Keep in mind however that trick room only lasts for 5 turns. That will not be enough to win the game, so consider options that can induce trick room and keep up your momentum. For instance, using trick room and then switching out to a sweeper wastes a turn that you could spend on the offensive.

Like aussieman stated, powerful dragons like Haxorus and Latios can 2hko your trick room inducers before they manage to trick room. To that end, I highly recommend using Bronzong as a trick room user. Bronzong is able to take on a vast amount of the current threats, and has access to options like dual screens, stealth rock, and explosion, which can help you build momentum.

Bronzong @ Light clay
Ability- Levitate
Ev's- 252 hp/124 atk/132 def, 0 speed Iv's
Nature- Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
-Trick room
-Light screen/Reflect
-Stealth rock
-Explosion

This Bronzong has the ability to support your team with whatever you need it to, as well as inflict a large chunk of damage with explosion to keep your momentum going once its health is in the red.

Like you mentioned, toxic heal Gliscor turns out to be a huge deal for this team if it is carrying taunt. That can be easily fixed, by replacing one of your sweepers with Eelektross. Eelektross has an array of attacking options that it can abuse with its correctly placed stats to benefit trick room. Gliscor will be unable to cause any serious damage to him, and you can use hidden power ice to get rid of it. I would suggest replacing Hitmontop for Eelektross. This is due to the fact that your Hitmontop only has priority attacks which may be useful outside of trick room, though you should try to abuse trick room as much as possible in order to get the best out of it.

Er... that's not exactly what I was trying to say. The dragons were just used as examples of the most powerful neutral physical and special attacks commonly seen in OU, to show how investing in HP lets you take hits better.

A steel-type Trick Roomer could make a useful addition, although adding another fire weakness might not be the best idea. Also I'm not a big fan of Emboar, but the 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA spread isn't idea for Mixed Emboar, since it wastes EVs that could be invested in a little bulk. A set like this can stick around to wallbreak a little longer:

Emboar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 48 HP / 208 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Superpower
- Overheat
- Grass Knot
- Head Smash

Survives Brave Bird from Skarmory if it needs to, while OHKOing or 2HKO most walls... I would consider a Dragonite as your wallbreaker if you opt to use a steel-type Trick Roomer though. It's higher speed might be an issue against Hippowdon & it lacks STAB Superpower, but has a load of positives to compensate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)