Lookin for some recommended music from some cats who have the funk.

I'm looking for songs kinda like The Spinners - Rubberband Man, Curtis Mayfield - Superfly, Wild Cherry - Play that Funky Music White Boy.

Any suggestions?

Definitely Parliament, Funkadelic, and P-Funk.
Anything involving George Clinton is pretty much guaranteed as well.
A lot of older Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind, and Fire is pretty funky as well. Bootsy Collins can also bring the funk.
Tower of Power is a must, as is Sly and the Family Stone.

Oh I forgot to mention the Dirty Dozen Brass Band as well. I saw them live with Modest Mouse over the Summer, and believe you me, they're mind blowing.

If you don't mind a little bit of hiphop intermingled with your funk, the Youngblood Brass Band are a good choice as well. Some of their stuff isn't funk at all, but if you enjoy a good brass band, then you'll love them.

EDIT: The Meters

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
The problem with most funk bands is they just dont have the necessary levels of insanity to compete with PFunk.

But the Commodores are a pretty good example of a band that comes close..

Also James Brown has to be mentioned.

Do you want recommendations of specific tracks or albums or anything?

Have a nice day.

The problem with most funk bands is they just dont have the necessary levels of insanity to compete with PFunk.

But the Commodores are a pretty good example of a band that comes close..

Also James Brown has to be mentioned.

Do you want recommendations of specific tracks or albums or anything?

Have a nice day.
Sorry for the late response, but yes specific songs and albums would be awesome.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok Commodores I dont have any albums, but you want the early stuff, cause they kinda sell out with crap like Three Times a Lady later on..
Gonna Blow Your Mind and Machine Gun are great tracks, and are both on the album Machine Gun but I dont know any of the other songs from it so I am sorta adverse to actually recommending it..

Parliament have a lot of good albums. They are all concept albums about how Starchild travels through space battling Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk and delivering funk to the needy..
I think Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome is my favourite,
but the Mothership Connection is probably a better starting point..
Some highlight tracks from other albums are: Testify, All Your Goodies Are Gone and Rumpofsteelskin.

Funkadelic on the other hand have not as good albums but probably better songs overall. My favourite albums are Lets Take It to the Stage and One Nation under a Groove. The Cosmic Slop, Cholly, Better by the Pound, Music for My Mother are my favourite tracks..

James Brown there is so much, and all of it is great because it is all kinda similar I guess (at least more similar than like Parliament or Funkadelic at any rate). The tracks of his I have 5 starred are: Super Bad, Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine, Doing It to Death. The only album of his I have is Star Time, which is the only album you need (its a 4 cd set). So I cant really recommend anything other than that.

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)