Other Metagames Looking for pro tips on my very first team build.

Hi, I'm fairly new to the pokemon games and therefor don't have much experience. However, I played through X, Y, Alpha Sapphire (twice) and Omega Ruby. I wanted a challange - the games didn't provide any, even for an unexperienced player like me. Now that I compleated the story mode multiple times, I tried the Battle Maison and now I have the challange :)

Anyway, for Super Singles I just copied three teams from some youtubers that have succeeded a 50 win streak. It took significantly more time to breed than going through the 50 battles with these teams. However, almost anyone could do that, given the perseverance to copy-breed those teams.

So now for the Super Doubles I kind of tried to come up with my own idea. When I was playing through the game, I caught a Slakoth and kind of liked that pokemon. So I wanted to use it, but it has the Truant Ability. I thought I might have found a way around that, using Galvantula which has access to Gastro Acid.

So, this is the team that got me through Doubles. I'm at a 5 win streak at Super Doubles, and noticed that the teem needs further adjustment. Thats why I thought I'd sign up here and ask the more experienced people for advice.

Apfelsine (Galvantula) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Unnerve

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA

Timid Nature

IVs: 24 Atk

- Gastro Acid

- Bug Buzz

- Sticky Web

- Volt Switch

Apfelsines main purpose is as follows: It should set up the sticky web in order for incoming pokemon to drop their speed by one stage. It also has Unnerve instead of compound eyes, the reason behind that is that I don’t need thunder, because of Volt Switch and all the other moves have 100% accuracy anyway. If they lead with a psychic type, I would go straight for Bug Buzz instead of the sticky web. Gastro Acid is there for the second turn, it will supress Slakings Truant ability and thus enabling him to move every turn. It also should be sashed to ensure it will have a second turn.

Bruno (Slaking)

Ability: Truant

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Slack Off

- Aerial Ace

- Earthquake

- Return

Bruno, aka Slaking has decent speed, but not more than Galvantula. He will inflict Life Orbed Stab-Return damage to anyone who enters the field, except for types which are immune to it of course. Once Galvantula rids him of his Truant Ability, he can keep on attacking or go for a slack of if needed. Arial ace is for minimizing Drifblims and the like, because it can never miss and does decent damage when super effective + Life Orb. Earthquake will be useful once Galvantula has fainted or Volt Switched out, Pachirisu will have Protect on it.

Samba II (Pachirisu) @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def

Impish Nature

IVs: 14 Atk

- Super Fang

- Protect

- Follow Me

- Nuzzle

Pachirisu (I rebuilt him, I assume everyone who reads this will know this set already) will take Super Effective Fighting hits, Super Fang threats like Rhyperior or Aggron, or Empoleon. For super speedy ones that have not been yet caught in the sticky web I have Nuzzle.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite

Ability: Pixilate

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

IVs: 17 SpA

- Dragon Dance

- Return

- Earthquake

- Roost

Altaria with her Pixilate Ability can hopefully get set up one or two times with Dragon Dance and then sweep what ever’s left on the field. I thought if Slaking lives long enough they are bulky enough to alternatively Attack/set up and Roost / slack off. Should Slaking faint, the duo Pachirisu + Mega-Altaria works well as well.

So far this team got me through Battles 1-20 in Doubles. I started Super Doubles and began to wonder if it needs further adjustment.

For instance, I’m wondering where the sweet point for speed stats lie for Galvantula + Slaking duo. I have a +speed Galvantula, but is it really needed for that team or could I go for a +sp Attack Nature?

Common threats so far I noticed are any kind of major status conditions, basically anything that prevents Galvantula from doing its thing.

Edit: This is probably misplaced here so I moved it to another thread. Maybe a mod can close/delete this now?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)