ORAS PU Lost World - PU Balanced

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Meganium_final.jpg

--- Introduction ---
Hey everyone, welcome to my very first RMT!

I only recently started out with PU, but quickly came to enjoy the diversity of the tier, as well as the open and friendly community on both forum and battle server. The complete lack of Mega Pokemon in the metagame was quite refreshing as well, to say the least. ^^
This RMT will feature my first attempt at an PU team, which subsequently introduced me to the metagame and had a fair amount of success so far. A first playtest won me a PU room tournament right away, and after a few days of casual playing and experimenting I ended up within the top ten ranks of the ladder (largely due to the small PU player base, admittedly).

PU ladder.jpg

--- Teambuilding ---

I started out this team with Meganium, a rather uncommon Pokemon which I've always been very fond on despite the huge competition it faces from other bulky Grass types in the tier. Access to Dragon Tail, as well as decent speed, high defenses and less reliance in its held item give it just enough of a niche for me to build a team around it.

To make the most out of Meganium's ability to phaze its checks, I decided to add a reliable Stealth Rock setter which at the same time can cover the few physical threats which Meganium doesn't wall (mostly Flying, Fire and Ice types). Relicanth possesses incredible physical bulk and great typing synergy with Meganium, making it a solid fit for that role.

Having covered most of the physical threats, it was time to add a special wall to cover the other side of the spectrum, and Lickilicky does an amazing job at blanket checking almost every special attacker found in PU. It provides additional utility to my defensive core with its ability to pass huge wishes if necessary, as well as adding another means of phazing to the core.

Since the three walls rely a lot on switching to cover their respective threats, a reliable defogger was a natural choice for the next slot. Vibrava has the ability to defog against a wide range of foes throughout the match, and even beat many of the hazard setters on its own. It also gives me a much needed switch in to Roselia, which would otherwise pose a huge threat to my defensive core through its coverage and hazards.

So far, the team looked very passive and relied mostly on chip damage to wear down foes, so it was time to add a win condition that could deal with opposing defensive teams. The incredibly common Roselia and defensive Fairy types such as Clefairy were still looking troubleseome, both of which Arbok can easily take advantage of in order to set up a sweep. It also gives my rather slow team valuable priority with Sucker Punch, which is a great help against weakened teams late game.

Lastly, I needed a fast and hard hitter to do some instant damage if necessary, and Scarf Rampardos combines those two facets very effectively. Even without any boosts and beneficial nature, it hits extremely hard and can revenge kill a wide array of threats with its amazing coverage.

--- Descriptions ---

RMT_Meganium.jpg

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
Giga Drain
Synthesis
Aromatherapy
Dragon Tail

While Meganium faces competition from both Tangela and Quilladin as a physically defensive Grass type, it sets itself apart with its access to both Aromatherapy and Dragon Tail, which in combination with a higher speed tier allows it take on defensive threats a lot better than both of the above. Although the passive recovery by Leftovers is a nice benefit, Meganium doesn't mind switching into Knock Off too much if necessary, allowing it to check problematic Pokemon such as Machoke a lot more reliably.
Besides cleric support, Meganium's main purpose on the team is dealing with Ground types such as Golem, Marowak, Stunfisk, Gabite and Krokorok. Even without investment, Meganium outspeeds Adamant Golem and Marowak, and can threaten them with STAB Giga Drain while recovering health alongside Synthesis and Leftovers.
Aromatherapy helps against the status moves commonly carried by the defensive Ground types, and frees up a valuable moveslot on Lickilicky.
Lastly, Dragon Tail is essential to this set in order to prevent the opponent from setting up against Meganium, and can punish predicted switch-ins against Meganium, most of which strongly dislike switching into Stealth Rocks.

RMT_Relicanth.jpg

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock
Head Smash
Waterfall
Toxic

Relicanth's primary purpose on the team is to set up Stealth Rock against the opposing team, which it can reliably do against a wide array of physical attackers even with potential super effective coverage, including top threats such as Stoutland, Dodrio and Rapidash among many others.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 73-87 (18 - 21.5%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%)
0 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 162-192 (52 - 61.7%)

252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 85-100 (21 - 24.7%)
0 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dodrio: 392-464 (150.1 - 177.7%)

252 Atk Life Orb Rapidash Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%)
0 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 392-464 (144.6 - 171.2%)
Recoilless Head Smash is quite powerful even without investment, and can easily force the aforementioned threats out, while Waterfall is a reliable secondary STAB which albeit weak can be used to hit Ground types if necessary. Toxic is a very useful move which allows Relicanth to stall out more defensive Pokemon, while also hitting common switch-ins such as Tangela.

RMT_Lickilicky.jpg

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Wish
Protect
Knock Off
Dragon Tail

Lickilicky is arguably the best special wall in the metagame, which makes it's role on this team quite straight-forward. Its excellent bulk and lack of common weaknesses give Lickilicky the ability to take on the majority of special attackers relatively safely, taking around 35-40% damage from Choice Specs Floatzel's Hydro Pump for example. Wish and Protect provide relatively reliable recovery, and allow it to scout for certain moves (such as Trick), as well as to pass great amounts of recovery to its team mates when facing a defensive team.
Knock Off is a very potent move in PU with the high reliance on held items and lack of Mega Stones in the metagame, and it does give Lickilicky at least some offensive presence against frailer special attackers such as Mr. Mime and the elemental monkeys, which could otherwise avoid any damage with a Fairy typing and Substitute, respectively. Dragon Tail again prevents the opponent from using Lickilicky as set-up opportunity, and can be used to punish predicted switches for example by common Volt Switch users.

RMT_Vibrava.jpg

Item:
Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Careful Nature
Defog
Roost

Earthquake
U-Turn

Vibrava does an amazing job as a defensive defogger with a resistance to entry hazards, respectable bulk and reliable recovery in Roost. Its unique typing in combination with a solid STAB move in Earthquake allows Vibrava to take on many common hazard setters itself, including Golem, Probopass, Stunfisk and Roselia.
With its useful resistances, Vibrava can also act as a secondary check to specially offensive Fire- and Electric types such as Simisear and Zebstrika, being able to take one HP Ice if necessary and threatening back with Earthquake.
U-Turn is vital on this set to maintain momentum against more offensively oriented teams which could otherwise take advantage of Vibrava's passiveness to set up a sweep. It can also be used to give a safe switch in to a team mate such as Rampardos, which can then proceed to exert immediate offensive pressure against the opponent.

RMT_Arbok.jpg

Item:
Black Sludge
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
Coil
Gunk Shot
Sucker Punch
Rest

Arbok is my win-condition against many defensive team, easily setting up a couple of Coil boosts against weaker attacks and healing off any damage and potential status with Shed Skin and Rest. The main targets of Arbok are Roselia, Tangela and Clefable, all of which can cause trouble for the rest of my team, which in turn wears down the Rock, Ground and Steel types that Arbok can't touch.
Gunk shot is a strong STAB that benefits from Coil's accuracy boost and does huge amounts of damage against anything that doesn't resist it. Full attack investment makes Arbok a bit less reliant on a boost against offensive teams while still being bulky enough to take on the aforementioned threats. Sucker Punch adds valuable priority to the team and allows Arbok to clean up the opposing team once its defensive checks have been sufficiently weakened.

RMT_Rampardos.jpg

Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Crunch
Zen Headbutt

As the last member on this team, Rampardos comes with the ability to hit both hard and quick, giving the team the much needed ability to get some instant damage off when necessary. With a Choice Scarf attached, Rampardos outspeeds everything up to a base stat of 110, including important threats such as Raichu, Jumpluff, and Quick Feet Ursaring, which oftentimes choose to stay in not expecting the Scarf set. Rampardos' famous attack stat coupled with its Sheer Force ability let its moves hit a lot harder than their low base power would suggest, allowing it to KO relatively bulky Pokemon such as Stoutland from around 75%, while getting a straight OHKO against frailer threats or those weak to its coverage.
Rampardos is best used as a revenge killer late game to pick off weakened teams, though it can usually survive at least one neutral attack from the likes of Articuno and may be played more offensively if required.
The minimal defense investments is mostly irrelevant, but allows Rampardos to survive a +6 Extremespeed from Adamant Linoone from full health, acting as an emergency check to it should it have managed to set up on Vibrava.
STAB Rock Slide is Rampardos' main attacking move, and deals major damage to pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, while Earthquake complements it with the ability to hit Golem, Probopass and Stunfisk super effectively. Crunch deals with bulky Ghost- and Psychic types, and is Rampardos' most reliable attack for cleaning up opposing teams should power not be an issue. Lastly, Zen Headbutt is mostly there to deal with Machoke in a pinch, should it be able to get past Meganium through a lucky streak of Dynamic Punch hax.

--- Threats ---

Monferno is the most immediate threat, as all it needs is a single Sword Dance boost before running through the entire team. Its access to Mach Punch and resistance to Sucker Punch prevent me from revenge killing it, so I have to play very carefully and keep it from setting up at all costs.

Substitute users with a strong defense stat can escape phazing and status from my defensive core, which is incredibly dangerous in combination with a boosting move. Although they aren't too common, I basically have to predict their switch in to even touch them.

Trick/Switcheroo users can put me at a great disadvantage from the very beginning of the match by effectively disabling one of my walls. I have to play very carefully if one of them is on the opposing team, especially if my wall is the main win condition to the rest of their team.

--- Replays ---

vs. CacTURN Down: Against a balanced team.
vs. Ulamg: Against a Sticky Web team.
vs. yosb: Featuring both SD Monferno and Sub Vigoroth.
vs. Kapliz: Simisage proves to be problematic.
vs. PorygonDrew: Rampardos does a good job against a rather offensive team.
vs. ShuckleDeath: Opposing balance, unfortunately forfeited early.
vs. JinAxel: Meganium gets taken out by surprise, making way for a Wishcash sweep.
vs. Arctic124: Good predictions by the opponent, but I had a advantageous match-up.

--- Importable ---
Code:
Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Dragon Tail

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Rest

Rampardos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt

Last edited:
Hey there Cretacerus! Cool team and amazing art :O It's pretty exciting to see a new RMT with the PU tag.

Right off the bat I notice a big weakness to a few Pokemon.

Team Changes:
SD Jumpluff is a pretty big problem for your team, as it can easily find setup opportunities against Vibrava, Relicanth, and Lickilicky, then SD and basically 6-0 you considering it even outspeeds Scarfed Rampardos. In order to help you out with this weakness, I'm going to recommend Zebstrika > Rampardos, which can counter Jumpluff and act as a faster revenge killer than Rampardos.

As you mentioned before, Linoone and Vigoroth are big threats to your team as well, considering you have nothing to reliably take a hit from Linoone at +6 and if Vigoroth has Substitute, it basically wins. This is why I'm going to recommend defensive Misdreavus > Meganium. I really didn't want to change Meganium since it's the Pokemon you built around, but these threats can find setup opportunities and 6-0 your team with ease, and nothing else on your team really could be replaced, as they all seem to fill an important role. Misdreavus with enough Speed for Vigoroth and Linoone allow you to completely counter both of the two by outspeeding and using Taunt or Foul Play respectively, while also being able to beat most Ground-types that you mentioned were somewhat problematic before.

Edit: Also, I wanted to clarify that Meganium is really outclassed, which is one of the main reasons why I recommended that it be changed. If you're looking for a Grass-type that is a physical wall with the ability to phaze, Quilladin is a much better option, as it even has access to Spikes along with Taunt, preventing other setup. Roselia is the best Pokemon in the tier and along with its secondary typing that makes it a better check to other Grass-types and such, it has a much more useable ability in Natural Cure that allows it to switch into moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Scald without worries, and it also has access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, meaning it is much more effective in taking advantage of free turns. It's pretty versatile in the sets that it can run as well, since it can also run an offensive set to take advantage of its high Special Attack stat along with Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm. Lastly, as a defensive Grass-type Tangela not only has insanely high physical defense in comparison to Meganium, but it also has access to Regenerator allowing it to constantly switch into big threats like Stoutland. Knock Off is really helpful on it as well, as it can cripple other bulky Pokemon such as Roselia and Clefairy, and like Roselia, it has access to Sleep Powder allowing it to put switchins to sleep.

I think those two changes in Pokemon take care of the bigger threats to your team, as Misdreavus is also able to check Duosion to an extent which can be somewhat problematic.

Set Changes:
Moving onto set changes, this is just a small change but I definitely recommend you run Scald > Waterfall and in turn Relaxed > Impish on Relicanth. Anything that Waterfall is dealing more damage to than Head Smash is better off being possibly burned by Scald and you're not really benefitting from the extra Speed.

As for your Arbok set, you're not really benefitting much from max Attack when you don't have any coverage to hit Rock- or Ground-types and you're running Shed Skin, so I recommend you change your spread to 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe, which maximizes your special bulk while also allowing you to outspeed max Speed base 45s. Along with this, I recommend you use Earthquake > Sucker Punch, which is going to be much more helpful on a bulkier set like this since you won't be completely walled by things like Probopass.

tl;dr

Zebstrika @ Life Orb | Sap Sipper
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Overheat / Hidden Power [Ice]

Misdreavus @ Eviolite | Levitate
248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe | Timid
Foul Play / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Pain Split

Waterfall --> Scald
Impish --> Relaxed

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD --> 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Sucker Punch --> Earthquake

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dat art @_@ ok so I agree with everything dundies said, but as a small change after that I think Body Slam helps a lot more than Dragon Tail on Lickilicky. Even an uninvested Body Slam does a fair amount to plenty of boosting sweepers, and the extra power is always nice. It also lets you pressure Rose after a knock off a lot better and do a little more to rotom-f and articuno, which are both large problems for the team that you cant really fix as much as just get a slightly better matchup versus (the basically shred semistall lacking spdef clefairy but misdreavus+body slam licky should help a bit). Other than that I think the new team is a decent shot at semistall, the playstyle as a whole faces massive issues because you cant cover every single threat, but aside from more niche things like sub SD leafeon, you can mostly play around things not named Rotom F.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amazing art there as always! I do agree with what dundies/megazard set but here is something else you can toy with;

Firstly I recomend changing Vibrava to Specially Defensive Vullaby. Defensively, Vibrava doesn't wall much due to its average bulk and typing, and now Piloswine is gone every Zebstrika is running HP Ice. Vullaby eases your matchup against psychic types, as Encore Kadabra threatens Lickilicky, and CM Grumpig is also a big threat especcially if you are using a slower Arbok set and Zebstrika over Rampardos. And if you chose to run Misdreavus, Whirlwind Vullaby eases

Dundies suggestion of Misdreavus does help, but 56 Timid is not enough to outrun every Vigoroth set, especcially the Taunt ones which Speed creep quite a lot for Misdreavus. Although this requires a lot of Speed, you could chose to run 132 EVs with Timid, which would guarantee you outspeeding Vigoroth, while also letting you outspeed Stoutland giving you and easier time revenge killing it if Relicanth is weakened, as well as Monferno, though you cannot do much damage, if they are the rare Life Orb Swords Dance set they can otherwise sweep you, but 50%+ chip damage is greatly appreciated. Obviously you do lose out on bulk, however the rest of your team can cover most of the metagame and you dont need Misdreavus (you lose about 6% assuming my maths is correct).

Another option over Rampardos would be Floatzel, as that does much more damage to Ninetales which can threaten your team, as Substitute sets can set up on Lickilicky, and also Rapidash, which can threaten Relicanth with a burn. Although you lose out on revenge killing Floatzel, you have a counter and a check to each of its sets, and Floatzel is also stronger making it easier to clean the game with it, or revenge kill bulky wallbreakers such as SD Lickilicky. Switcheroo is also helpful for slow sweepers such as Duosion, as if last Pokemon Lickilicky cannot phaze it

For a set change, some you could try is Body Slam over Knock Off which will always break Ninetales and Articuno's Substitute, as well as dealing more damage versus Regice. Lickilicky is your primary switch in to those Pokemon, so having a more reliable way of stopping them is appreciated.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Floatzel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Switcheroo

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 Spe

Knock Off -> Body Slam

Cool team, knowing the sets I hope I wont lose to it again n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)