Lucario (QC 2/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

objectively the best?

[Overview]

-not as good as it is in singles (like blissey and skarmory)
-outclassed by jirachi and hitmontop defensively and as a supporter
-still has follow me, good typing and attack stat (higher than hitmontop's for sure)
-isn't specialized but rather fits a niche- a glue for a team if you will

[SET]
name: Offensive Follow Me
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Stone Edge / Feint
move 4: Detect / Feint
item: Fighting Gem / Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus / Justified
nature: Adamant
evs: 88 HP / 228 Atk / 4 SpD / 188 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-close combat very strong
-works kinda like volcarona in the sense that its an offensive follow me user and checks some standards
-detect=protect
-feint makes dm's harder to guard against and gives lucario a priority move

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-fight gem powers up cc only which is good if you're not concerned too much with genies and would rather have a tad bit more bulk
-LO can nab some ko's but can feel redundant w fm sometimes

-espeed for more strength priority
-ice punch/crunch
-sash
-lum berry

-ev spread ohko's 252 hp thund w/ stone edge with life orb and has a 50% chance to ohko landog after intimidate w ice punch, also lives more dm's and egem bulky thund's tbolt and i think it's a LO number

-dm mons make great partners for tearing shit up t1
-latios in particular since lucario mauls ttar
-salamence has intimidate and dm (scarf set pls)

-defiant tornadus
-volcarona
-cress (baits crunches and has speed control)
-thund-i/-t

[Other Options]

-special set (aura sphere/dark pulse/stuff)
-YOLOCARIO (final gambit for non cool people)
-bulkier lucario (bulkier evs and a careful set)
-low kick
-low sweep
-swords dance
-helping hand
-drain punch
-counter
-sub
-heal pulse
-bullet punch

[Checks and Counters]

-hitmontop
-cress
-landorus-t
-excadrill
-chandelure
-gyarados
-stuff w/ strong SE attacks that outspeed
-eq/heatwave in general
-conkeldurr/breloom

[Overview]

<p>Like Singles titans Blissey and Skarmory, Lucario finds itself outclassed and overlooked in favor of more specialized Pokemon such as Scizor and Terrakion. Support with Follow Me is great because of Lucario's resistance to Dragon, but even then, it has competition from Jirachi and Hitmontop as a support-oriented Pokemon. Where Lucario shines, however, is its ability to both attack and support with Follow Me simultaneously. With a powerful Close Combat capable of KOing Chople Berry Tyranitar and a diverse movepool with which to check many other threats such as Thundurus and various Dragons, Lucario makes an exceptional attacker, and while its 70/70/70 defenses aren't that great, resistance to Dark-, Bug-, and Dragon-type moves ensures it can take at least a few moves with Follow Me. While Lucario isn't as generally useful as some standards, its unique blend of support and offense makes it an excellent glue for teams strapped for moveslots.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Follow Me
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Stone Edge / Feint
move 4: Detect / Feint
item: Fighting Gem / Focus Sash
ability: Inner Focus / Justified
nature: Adamant
evs: 88 HP / 228 Atk / 4 SpD / 188 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-close combat very strong
-works kinda like volcarona in the sense that its an offensive follow me user and checks some standards
-detect=protect
-feint makes dm's harder to guard against and gives lucario a priority move

<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

Last edited:
Looks fine, but...
Inner Focus seems like a more consistently useful ability, so should be the first slash. As well as Fake Out, avoiding flinchhax from Rock Slide is great.
Maybe Focus Sash is a viable item on the set? (In which case, reversal! only kidding)
Couple of other checks: hates earthquake and heat wave in general, also: swift swimmers, toxicroak, sableye, jellicent
otherwise, great job, persuaded me to try out lucario a bit more (had tried it and considered it useless until reading this)

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with noobcubed on Focus Sash, it allows you to tank two successive hits for your partner, which in many cases Lucario won't be able to do. It also won't be broken by sand damage. I'd make it the first slash, but in general just put it on the set rather than in OO.

Just a heads up:
228+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 247-291 (82.05 - 96.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 276-325 (76.24 - 89.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ice Punch anyone? Seriously though, maybe it shouldn't be on the set? I mean, yeah it does damage, but Lucario is frail, and imo anything that isn't scoring OHKOs or helping against things that Lucario can't hurt (Fighting Gem CC does a minimum of 57% to Latios) should either be in AC or OO. (Landorus-T usually holds Yache Berry or Focus Sash anyways and if it doesn't, it will probably be Scarfed, allowing it to blow you apart before you can hit it. Not to mention the speedier Lando-T EV spreads will also outspeed)

Since Stone Edge is already nice for Thundurus, I think Ice Punch outta be replaced by Crunch. Reasoning:
228+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 263-309 (87.37 - 102.65%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
228+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Cresselia: 156-185 (35.13 - 41.66%) -- 80.25% chance to 3HKO

Not exactly amazingly better, but it gives you something to hit Cresselia with, which is nice. Not to mention it hits Trick Room setters harder in general, which the teams Lucario will be on tend to hate.

Nothing else I have to add.

QC APPROVAL 1/3

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
jellicent also makes an excellent counter since it can burn w/ scald or wow and takes nothing from its other attacks. slowbro/slowking could be added as well. alotherwise looks good lucariojr
QC 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)