Pokémon Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucario is still a very potent sweeper and I seriously hope to see its usage stat rise. The Swords Dance variant is capable of demolishing both stall and offensive teams alike. After a +2 Lucario has the right tools to either crush with Extreme Speed or Close Combat / Iron Tail. Extreme Speed is an absolute god send for this thing because its one of the few Fighting types that don't care about priority Brave Bird. With some prior damage, things such as Lando I and Keldeo are picked off by +2 make it difficult to check Lucario late-game if its checks are weakened or removed. Lucario received some buffs as Dark Type moves are rising in popularity making Justified a much more valid ability to run. Steel has become better offensively and is capable of crushing popular defensive threats such as Clefable , a super common pokemon in the higher ladders. All in all, Lucario is not a sweeper to be underestimated as it definitely has tools that allow it to differentiate itself from the myriad of new physical sweepers gen vi has introduced into OU.

Would someone be able to help me out with a couple of good team mates for Lucario? I really want to find a spot for this thing because I think it's still a huge threat without the mega. Gyarados seems like the best team mate to give after a little thought, but beyond that I'm just not sure.

Would someone be able to help me out with a couple of good team mates for Lucario? I really want to find a spot for this thing because I think it's still a huge threat without the mega. Gyarados seems like the best team mate to give after a little thought, but beyond that I'm just not sure.
I've always found specs latios to be a very good partner. Latios can obliterate most walls that luke would have trouble with, like gliscor, landorus, hippowdon, and physically bulky pokemon in general. After that, you'll need something to kill aegislash, but that pretty much goes without saying right now. If you want an extremely reliable wallbreaker, use specs gothitelle with timid max speed. This thing traps luke's most counters but doesn't have the earth shattering power of latios. I would recommend using Goth only if you're team is based around lucario.

Those are some things that eliminate Lucario's checks. One pokemon I've found to be very effective with lucario is Mega-Pinsir. Mega-Pinsir offers the sheer power to brute force it's way through most walls, while lucario breaks through pinsir's best checks and counters like Talonflame with extremespeed, Skarmory it has a high chance of OHKO'ing after stealth rocks with +2 close combat, Rotom is destroyed, and defensive zapdos are beaten by ice punch after Stealth Rocks.

Hope this helps!

I've always found specs latios to be a very good partner. Latios can obliterate most walls that luke would have trouble with, like gliscor, landorus, hippowdon, and physically bulky pokemon in general. After that, you'll need something to kill aegislash, but that pretty much goes without saying right now. If you want an extremely reliable wallbreaker, use specs gothitelle with timid max speed. This thing traps luke's most counters but doesn't have the earth shattering power of latios. I would recommend using Goth only if you're team is based around lucario.

Those are some things that eliminate Lucario's checks. One pokemon I've found to be very effective with lucario is Mega-Pinsir. Mega-Pinsir offers the sheer power to brute force it's way through most walls, while lucario breaks through pinsir's best checks and counters like Talonflame with extremespeed, Skarmory it has a high chance of OHKO'ing after stealth rocks with +2 close combat, Rotom is destroyed, and defensive zapdos are beaten by ice punch after Stealth Rocks.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot, this actually was very helfpul. :)

I would recommend using Goth only if you're team is based around lucario.
honestly, gothitelle has way more uses than only a team built around luc- it works really well as a revenge killer on lots of things. plus, max speed timid has little bulk, as well as not that impressive power. Id run modest with 196 spd evs, so you get the jump on things like bulky rotom-w and (weakened) bulky excadrill

I never said gothitelle only should be used with luke, I simply said lucario should only be paired with gothitelle if your team is built around lucario as the two go hand in hand. Goth can be used with other pokemon and is very effective but I prefer using lucario AS the support for another sweeper that he complements very well.

I did go off the block a bit but people should actually know a good set from a useless gimmick and should know what the pokemon is best at before posting. Rock slide to bluff a physical set? Seriously? And if you're using goth on a team built around lucario, you want to outspeed as much as possible to cripple something you normally couldn't with a choice item. Timid only has 10% loss in power compared to the ability to outspeed other random things and if you want it revenge specific threats, use specific moves that are super effective against them, with specs and timid always 2HKO'ing at the very least anyway. I liked using timid to outspeed Adamant breloom in Gen. 5 but could easily see uses for modest and more defense ev's with most breloom now running jolly anyways.

Again, whatever, youre right. but just chill, you're still freaking out way too much
Is this really what people define as freaking out these days? Because this is pretty tame compared to what I've seen.

Anyway I've been personally finding Lucario a bit clunky to use, mostly because you gotta clear a good chunk of the other team to set up anything at all.

Anyway I've been personally finding Lucario a bit clunky to use, mostly because you gotta clear a good chunk of the other team to set up anything at all.
Lucario is a good late game sweeper, always has been.Late game usually means a good chunk of your opponents will be knocked out, allowing lucario to clean up.
Mid-Game, lucario should either be kept out of the way completely, or used in hit 'n run strategies with extremespeed to knock out frail, weakened threats or Close Combat to severely damage slower pokemon. If you play lucario to it's strengths, it should never disappoint.

Also, the issue between Him and I was resolved, no need to resurrect it.

lucario has better special attack than physical is special lucario viable in this format it gets Vacuum Wave,
Dark Pulse and a pretty good list of special moves
physical lucario is effective (at least moreso than special luke) due to Extremespeed's +2 priority bypassing its somewhat disappointing speed. Vacuum Wave is pretty meh due to it only getting +1 priority, meaning stuff like Talonflame (252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 315-372 (112 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO), not to mention faster attackers that resist Fighting in general (Gengar, Zard-Y, Mega Gardevoir, Deoxys-S), will revenge it all too easily.

physical lucario is effective (at least moreso than special luke) due to Extremespeed's +2 priority bypassing its somewhat disappointing speed. Vacuum Wave is pretty meh due to it only getting +1 priority, meaning stuff like Talonflame (252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 315-372 (112 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO), not to mention faster attackers that resist Fighting in general (Gengar, Zard-Y, Mega Gardevoir, Deoxys-S), will revenge it all too easily.
Extremespeed probably won't help you much vs Gengar either :p

And phys lucario is more effective b/c of ESpeed and Close Combat, which has much higher base power than aura sphere

Extremespeed probably won't help you much vs Gengar either :p

And phys lucario is more effective b/c of ESpeed and Close Combat, which has much higher base power than aura sphere
Didn't mean to imply espeed beat gar, sorry if that was worded weirdly. My point was there's just tons of stuff that outspeeds and don't care about Vacuum Wave for special luke to be effective, whereas +2 Extremespeed can do way more useful stuff, like OHKO Talonflame with Adamant and LO (still does around 90% with Jolly)

could someone please post a good special set rather than say no, use physical please. And even add it to the OG post would be nice.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
could someone please post a good special set rather than say no, use physical please. And even add it to the OG post would be nice.
The problem with a special set is that you don't have Extreme Speed to get around faster priority (Talonflame) and you don't have a reliable high-powered STAB like Close Combat to nuke things; you're stuck with Focus Miss or Aura Sphere.

But if you REALLY want one, just flip the nature and EVs, replace SD with NP and CC with Aura Sphere/Focus Miss, run Vacuum Wave over E-Speed, and choose between Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball for your last move.

The problem with a special set is that you don't have Extreme Speed to get around faster priority (Talonflame) and you don't have a reliable high-powered STAB like Close Combat to nuke things; you're stuck with Focus Miss or Aura Sphere.

But if you REALLY want one, just flip the nature and EVs, replace SD with NP and CC with Aura Sphere/Focus Miss, run Vacuum Wave over E-Speed, and choose between Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball for your last move.
Thanks, I basically built that.. not sure of that last move though. Thoughts between Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/Dragon Pulse ?

Thanks, I basically built that.. not sure of that last move though. Thoughts between Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/Dragon Pulse ?
Dragon Pulse is pretty bad, because if you use it, you're walled by fairies and Aegislash. I'd personally go with Flash Cannon, because it hits fairies, but you can use Shadow Ball if you like that perfect coverage.

Basically don't use dragon pulse.
Shadow ball allows you to do SOME damage to fairies and has overall better coverage than dark pulse, but
Dark pulse has a nifty 20% flinch rate that can save you at times.
Flash cannon allows you to beat most fairies but makes ghosts harder to deal with, but if aegislash is banned that will be inconsequential because the other ghosts outspeed and KO you anyway. It really all comes down to what your team needs most.

Ninja'd

Mega Garchomp seems to be a solid partner with Lucario, bringing in bulky grounds and KO/weakening them to the point Lucario can beat them. Garchomp also brings in dragons like Latios and ice attackers like Keldeo so it can sac itself to create a boosting chance for Lucario late game if said pokemon are choice locked namely Keldeo.

Mega Garchomp seems to be a solid partner with Lucario, bringing in bulky grounds and KO/weakening them to the point Lucario can beat them. Garchomp also brings in dragons like Latios and ice attackers like Keldeo so it can sac itself to create a boosting chance for Lucario late game if said pokemon are choice locked namely Keldeo.
I've always found specs latios to be a good partner, smashes walls, especially physical ones, and can trick a specs onto the pokemon it can't beat. It also lures in pursuit trappers, which allow lucario to set up very easily. Megachomp also seems like a good partner, and I think I'll try the two of them together now that all of my teams have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)