Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
When it reaches plus 2 for Sp.Att it 2HKO's Mega Sableye. And rarely is dis duck used besides in TR.

+2 0 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Mega Sableye is normally immune to Lucario's standard moves and Lucario's other moves such as Ice Punch and Crunch does laughable damage to Mega Sableye so it feels safe to switch in. However, with a Swords Dance under its belt, Lucario surprises Mega Sableye with a OHKO using STAB Iron Tail. This is assuming it has already Mega-ed and Sableye doesn't run for the hills to find Quagsire (if you have clairvoyance, you can click Close Combat to 2HKO it).

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 285-335 (93.7 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 312-368 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Luring Sableye is not simple. I dunno if it gets better than Dazzle Alakazam, but here is my weird idea:

Ferrothorn @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Iron Head
- Spikes

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 156-184 (51.3 - 60.5%)

Mega Sableye always comes in on Ferrothorn to stop the Spikes. With this set, you Power Whip on the switch and 2HKO, outrunning because of the 16 speed. I don't think any player will expect Ferrothorn to be faster, so there are good chances of them staying in after hit #1.

Maybe CB Ferrothorn can do the same, but being able to change moves is very useful.

^ this is why you test a set first. funny how he used it before it was ru, but lol yuruuu my man saves the day. no more theorymoners

also, half these sableye lures are just bad tbh– not blaming anyone because like if you are asking yourself what do i need to lure a damn sableye, i can give you zero responses because that is impossible. just pound the crap out of or bring something like clefable. if your opponent isn't bad, you can't lure it. submitting another bad nomination right here like all the others so i make myself feel good that i posted a bad "lure"

azelf @ life orb | levitate
timid | 8 hp / 252 satk / 252 spe | 0 atk
psychic | flamethrower | dazzling gleam | stealth rock

basically, i was tired of sash azelf because it fairly useless tbh. i run stab and coverage to hit stuff hard with life orb. stealth rock is that move you need for your hyper offense. dazzling gleam does around 56% to sableye while you live knock off a 100% of the time with the 8 hp. yes, it loses if sableye foul plays (roll), yes it loses if you get a low roll, yes it loses to fake out, but it is something atleast considering how predictable skill swap is and how sableye is the bane of some hos.

you can't lure sableye give up
here's a replay if you wanna see this set being cool. opponent doesn't have a mega sableye, but sharing anyways to show how this set is viable besides just checking mega sableye. :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-298214391

opponent admittedly had a weird bisharp set, and sucker punch would've been annoying, but you get the general concept.

loving this set, vertex, it's extremely beneficial to my team so far!

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Mega Sableye gets Suspect Tested during the Week of Luring

Voting starts now and ends in 48 hours!

Dazzling Gleam Mega Alakazam
Bulky Toxic Excadrill
Moonblast Jirachi
Dazzling Gleam Meloetta
Choice Band Landorus-Therian
Dazzling Gleam Gengar
Skill Swap Mega Gallade
Dazzling Gleam Azelf
Moonblast Cresselia
Iron Tail Lucario
Max Attack Miracle Seed/Choice Band Power Whip Ferrothorn

EDIT: We are almost finished with the uptodate Hall of Fame

Going with Azelf, but why is it such a big deal? Nobody expects you to use it like a physically-bulkier Zam with a Ground immunity, so what. /s

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Voting is over, and our winner through voting is Dazzling Gleam Azelf by Vertex! Our other winners are Dazzling Gleam Mega Alakazam and Skill Swap Mega Gallade!

Honorable Mentions include Dazzling Gleam Gengar, Bulky Toxic Excadrill, and Offensive Ferrothorn

Dazzling Gleam Azelf: 10
Miracle Seed Ferrothorn: 2

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Week 14: Support Celebi

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock​

Celebi is able to check multiple threats, including some major ones in Rain offense, Sand Offense, and Keldeo. It doesn't have the best typing in the world, but it's got a great moveset that allows it to provide Stealth Rock to a team, and having access to Recover really lets it do it's job well at repeatedly checking threats all game long. Baton Pass is also extremely handy in providing momentum and giving you the upper hand if your opponent decides to switch out as well, since you'll be able to send in an appropriate mon for the new opposing mon sent in.

Rotom-Wash @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam

Expert Belt Rotom-W is an unexpected lure that gets Ferrothorn and Scizor with HP Fire (once they realize you aren't leftovers, they think of Choice Scarf). The speed allows you to outspeed base 70s. Signal Beam is of course the move of choice for hitting Celebi with. Doesn't do quite enough to Latios, but it does a good chunk.

252+ SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 346-408 (85.6 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

As stated, Celebi is often used as a team's primary Keldeo counter, resisting both its STABs, not caring about scald burns thanks to natural cure, and being able to heal off the damage with giga drain and recover to consistently counter Keldeo throughout the match. Specs Keldeo has a fairly flexible 4th moveslot though, and HP bug has a 31% chance to OHKO from full, clean OHKO after rocks:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Bug vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock

edit: thanks yuruuu for the suggestion, i feel this is a much better lure
While Ice Beam can hit Celebi for nice damage, being able to OHKO Celebi on the switch in with Signal Beam factoring in Analytic is really nice, plus with Signal Beam you are still hitting Lati and Grass types, as well as OHKOing non AV Hoopa even without Analytic. Plus in a 1v1 scenario, you at least force a double down with Signal Beam, as opposed to being beat if you were running Ice Beam.

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 328-390 (81.1 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 426-504 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 286-338 (95 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Signal Beam

Utility Starmie's last moveslot has always been flexible for me, so if you are having trouble with Celebi, Signal Beam could be a nice last move. Celebi often switches into Starmie expecting Scald or Rapid Spin, so catching them on the switch with Signal Beam gets you a 74% chance to 2HKO Celebi, which is a confirmed 2HKO if rocks are up. Plus this also lets you beat LO Hoopa-U on the switch as well, so it's not completely useless outside of Celebi.

4 SpA Starmie Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Starmie Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 176-208 (58.4 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I'd run this on an offensive set in place of Ice Beam, as the targets are pretty similar: Lati, Grass types. Ground types don't like Hydro Pump anyway. You lose out on hitting Flying types though so you'd need another check to that.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Encore

While standard Alakazam typically runs Shadow Ball, Signal Beam hits Celebi for significantly more damage to the point where it can OHKO after Stealth Rock, and it also has only a 5 BP difference. Signal Beam also targets non scarfed Hoopa-U, among others.

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide / Quick Attack / Toxic

Celebi is usually able to handle Terrakion, since Life Orb Stone Edge can't 2HKO it, and Banded Stone Edge isn't guaranteed to 2HKO either. However, X-Scissor from the banded set OHKOs Celebi from full.

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Celebi: 408-484 (100.9 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Rindo Berry Ice Beam Manaphy

Manaphy @ Leftovers/Rindo Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 374-442 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Under normal circumstances Manaphy is a switch-in for many Grass types if it lacks Ice Beam relying on HP Fire which is used alongside Psychic or Shadow Ball (which is more team dependant) so this set lures better Celebi in if you showed only Surf and Psychic which are hopelessly resisted by the Gen 2 pixie even after a Tail Glow. If your opponent has only Celebi as a potential check to Manaphy (and this is very realistic because if you use this grass type monster you've already stacked a lot of weaknesses on your team) he will risk to be hit by a supereffective move trying to stop Manaphy which "can choose" its checks/counters depending on the moves it run.

Ice Beam compresses the roles of Shadow Ball (i.e. vs Lati@s and psychic types), Energy Ball (i.e. vs Slowbro) and HP Fire (i.e. vs Ferrothorn and Scizor) and complements Psychic (which lure Mega Venusaur, Amoongoos and stops some fighting types) quite well.

The item is not important, but Rindo Berry is particularly useful to recklessly set-up in front of a set-up sweeper including Celebi if you were not able to set-up a TG before and this item allows you to shaby check an unboosted Serperior and doing 63,9-75,5% in return (plus there is the Life Orb recoil).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)