ORAS OU M-Sableye Balance (peak 1600s)

something to listen to while you're reading :))
Introduction

After browsing through the viable megas, I came across M-Sableye. Since I do not enjoy playing stall, I was yet to use M-Sableye, so I decided to instead build a balance team around him. The team is a hazard stacking team to wear down the opposing team for a late game Bisharp or M-Sableye sweep. It performed relatively well, but I feel like some changes and improvements could be done to make it better.

The Team

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Role: M-Sableye is the star of the team and as a result plays a number of crucial roles. Magic Bounce is an amazing ability and allows me to safeguard my team from hazards, status and other miscellaneous non-damaging moves. In conjunction with Calm Mind, it can sweep unprepared teams and is often the win-condition against defensive teams. Its Ghost typing helps keep hazards on the other side of the field since it can spinblock well with its high defensive stats. Prankster before MEVO is also very helpful against offensive teams as it can quickly burn things or CM to take less damage and recover the damage.

Moves and EVs: CM and Shadow Ball allow it to sweep late game and against unprepared teams. Will-O-Wisp lessens damage early game and annoys physical attackers, and Recover for recovery. Max HP and Defense helps Sab take hits better since SpDef is boosted by CM.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Role: Landorus-Therian is another important member of the team. With Intimidate, it serves as a check to many physical attackers, and provides a much needed Ground immunity. It also sets up rocks and creates momentum with U-Turn. Yache Berry allows Landorus to lure dangerous electric types by taking a HP Ice and OHKOing with the suitable coverage move, and also allows it to take an Ice Punch from M-Lopunny.

Moves and EVs: Moves are standard, EQ for STAB and Stone Edge for coverage. 8 Spe allows it to outspeed Modest Magnezone, and the rest is put into HP and Defense to take hits better.

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon

Role: Klefki's unique typing gives it a number of resistances which are greatly appreciated for the team. It is able to check Latios, M-Gardevoir, M-Diancie and Weavile. With Prankster, it can easily set up Spikes to quickly wear down the opposition. It can stop set-up sweepers such as M-Gyarados or M-Pinsir with a priority Thunder Wave. Key threats such as Serperior and Gengar are also stopped cold with a T-Wave.

Moves and EVs: Thunder Wave stops sweepers and Spikes to wear down the opponent. Magnet Rise provides a temporary Ground immunity so that it can set up layers of Spikes against a larger range of threats. Flash Cannon kills M-Diancie and other fairies. Max HP and SpDef gives it more longevity with Leftovers giving passive recovery.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs Choice Scarf (suggested by BreloomMyHomie)
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Role: Volcanion not only has great synergy with M-Sableye, but it is also an incredible wall-breaker with its great STABs. Its Fire/Water helps check things that trouble M-Sableye such as Azumarill and Clefable. Steam Eruption hits very hard off a 130 Sp Attack, and has an added effect of a 30% to burn. Volcanion also beats opposing M-Sableye, who can be annoying otherwise. Choice Scarf allows it outspeed various fast threats such as Serperior and Weavile, and swiftly remove them.

Moves and EVs: Flamethrower for a consistent STAB, while Sludge Wave hits Fairies and HP Grass hits Waters. Max Sp Attack to hit as hard as possible, and the rest is put into Speed.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers (suggested by BreloomMyHomie)
Ability: Levitate
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Role: Rotom-W's great typing allows it to check a number of threats to the team. These include Sand Rush Excadrill, Talonflame and Bisharp. It also has fantastic synergy with Landorus-T, forming a bulky VoltTurn core. Rotom-W is my only answer to rain teams, M-Swampert in particular, which would otherwise maul my team.

Moves and EVs: Hydro Pump is its only water type STAB. Volt Switch provides momentum, while Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers. Albeit unreliable, Pain Split gives it a form of recovery aside from Leftovers. Max HP and Defence to take hits as well as possible.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Role: Latios is a strong special attacker with a good speed tier. Its typing allows it to check Keldeo, Char-Y and Volcanion, which are all big threats to the team. Latios is capable of dealing great damage with Life Orb and its high 130 Sp Attack.

Moves and EVs: Draco Meteor is its hardest hitting move, while Psyshock hits special walls on its weaker Defence stat. Earthquake lures in Heatran and also hits other Ground-weak pokemon after switching in to a Draco. Roost allows its to check the aforementioned threats longer. EVs are self-explanatory.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading, and any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Importable:

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Latios @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Hey man, nice team. I'm really liking the CM Sableye+Volcanion core. One of the main issues with this team is Sand Rush Excadrill. Air Balloon+Swords Dance Excadrill is a huge threat to the team because your sand check, Landorus-T, can't hit it for a significant amount of damage. In addition, the rest of your Pokemon don't appreciate both of Excadrill's STAB attacks. Mega Diancie is also a threat to the team as well. While Magnet Rise+Flash Cannon Klefki is a cool check to Mega Diancie, it's not exactly the best counter, since Earth Power will do a ton of damage. Opposing Swords Dance Bisharp can be an issue to the team, simply because if Mega Sableye isn't at full or near full Health, you're most likely going to get swept due to how strong Bisharp's STABs are.

My first suggestion will be to replace Bisharp with Rotom-W. I know that in your description, you said that Bisharp is the main win condition of this team. However, in general, Bisharp isn't really a win condition on this team because of the archetype. Bisharp is one of the more versatile Pokemon in the OU tier that usually fits on offensive teams better than balanced teams, and this situation is no exception. Mega Sableye and Bisharp don't really complement each other in any way outside of Mega Sableye being able to switch into Hippowdon and TankChomp and Bisharp taking out Clefable, a check/counter to Mega Sableye. Outside of that, they both struggle with tons of Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Offensive Heatran, Keldeo, Mega Altaria, etc. Meanwhile, like Sableye, Rotom-W brings Will-O-Wisp utility, so that both Pokemon can spread status to pave the way for a potential Calm Mind Mega Sableye sweep. In addition, Rotom-W completely checks Air Balloon Sand Rush Excadrill, taking a +2 Rock Slide and retaliating back with a single Hydro Pump.

My next suggestion will be to replace Klefki with Skarmory. While Klefki is a reliable switch-in to Pokemon such as Weavile, Gardevoir, and the Lati-Twins, Specially Defensive Skarmory can not only handle the latter, but is a more reliable switch-in to Mega Diancie, not being 2HKOed by Hidden Power Fire. In addition, it plays a similar role to Klefki as a Spikes setter. It does lack priority Thunder-Wave, but I don't think your team really needs it. In my opinion, after analyzing the build, the main objective when fighting most teams is to have switch-ins to the majority of the tier, spread burn status, and sweep with Mega Sableye late game. Having Thunder-Wave on the team limits your chances of achieving this goal.

Thirdly, I suggest Choice Scarf Volcanion over Choice Specs Volcanion. One of the drawbacks to replacing Klefki is that you become slightly susceptible to Weavile. I also mentioned that opposing Bisharp can be a nuisance as well. Scarf Volcanion can take Weavile and Bisharp with ease, OHKOing both of them with Flamethrower.

OTHER OPTIONS
Leftovers on Landorus-T gives it recovery to handle Charizard X a bit better. Just remember that if you do this, put 8 SPDEF EVs on it to take 1 Hidden Power Ice from Mega Manectric.

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Good luck man.

Hey man, nice team. I'm really liking the CM Sableye+Volcanion core. One of the main issues with this team is Sand Rush Excadrill. Air Balloon+Swords Dance Excadrill is a huge threat to the team because your sand check, Landorus-T, can't hit it for a significant amount of damage. In addition, the rest of your Pokemon don't appreciate both of Excadrill's STAB attacks. Mega Diancie is also a threat to the team as well. While Magnet Rise+Flash Cannon Klefki is a cool check to Mega Diancie, it's not exactly the best counter, since Earth Power will do a ton of damage. Opposing Swords Dance Bisharp can be an issue to the team, simply because if Mega Sableye isn't at full or near full Health, you're most likely going to get swept due to how strong Bisharp's STABs are.

My first suggestion will be to replace Bisharp with Rotom-W. I know that in your description, you said that Bisharp is the main win condition of this team. However, in general, Bisharp isn't really a win condition on this team because of the archetype. Bisharp is one of the more versatile Pokemon in the OU tier that usually fits on offensive teams better than balanced teams, and this situation is no exception. Mega Sableye and Bisharp don't really complement each other in any way outside of Mega Sableye being able to switch into Hippowdon and TankChomp and Bisharp taking out Clefable, a check/counter to Mega Sableye. Outside of that, they both struggle with tons of Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Offensive Heatran, Keldeo, Mega Altaria, etc. Meanwhile, like Sableye, Rotom-W brings Will-O-Wisp utility, so that both Pokemon can spread status to pave the way for a potential Calm Mind Mega Sableye sweep. In addition, Rotom-W completely checks Air Balloon Sand Rush Excadrill, taking a +2 Rock Slide and retaliating back with a single Hydro Pump.

My next suggestion will be to replace Klefki with Skarmory. While Klefki is a reliable switch-in to Pokemon such as Weavile, Gardevoir, and the Lati-Twins, Specially Defensive Skarmory can not only handle the latter, but is a more reliable switch-in to Mega Diancie, not being 2HKOed by Hidden Power Fire. In addition, it plays a similar role to Klefki as a Spikes setter. It does lack priority Thunder-Wave, but I don't think your team really needs it. In my opinion, after analyzing the build, the main objective when fighting most teams is to have switch-ins to the majority of the tier, spread burn status, and sweep with Mega Sableye late game. Having Thunder-Wave on the team limits your chances of achieving this goal.

Thirdly, I suggest Choice Scarf Volcanion over Choice Specs Volcanion. One of the drawbacks to replacing Klefki is that you become slightly susceptible to Weavile. I also mentioned that opposing Bisharp can be a nuisance as well. Scarf Volcanion can take Weavile and Bisharp with ease, OHKOing both of them with Flamethrower.

OTHER OPTIONS
Leftovers on Landorus-T gives it recovery to handle Charizard X a bit better. Just remember that if you do this, put 8 SPDEF EVs on it to take 1 Hidden Power Ice from Mega Manectric.

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Good luck man.
Hey dude. Thanks for the reply, and I will try to implement your suggestions and see how they go. Scarf Volc should probably have been used from the start since the team was quite slow overall.

Nice team mate, now that you've decided to use a scarf over specs on Volcano, I would recommend changing flamethrower to Fire Blast. It hits a ton harder and the difference is felt against mons that take neutral damage from Volc's STAB moves. Your team is really affected by BD azu, with it one shotting every mon in your team, Klefki doesn't survive an Aqua Jet. So would suggest running 44 speed EVs on Room, so that you can put speed and burn it. And those 8EVs in Lando-T special defence does make a difference trust me, since mega man also seems like a threat to this team, with your only switch in to it being latios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)