1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Magic Guard Baton Pass

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by orangekirby, Feb 2, 2013.

1. orangekirby

orangekirby

Magic Guard Baton Pass Team

[​IMG]

Hello Smogon, this is my first team/post on here. Let me start by saying that I'm a bit OCD about which Pokemon I use. I don't really get much satisfaction by winning with all the standard players like Scizor, Heatran, Salamence, etc etc. Instead I like to use Pokemon I like and try and win with a little less common strategies and movesets. That being said, I know this team isn't the most .... dangerous one out there, and there are some stronger Pokemon that might be more successful, but with some good prediction I think this team can land some surprise victories, and I love being able to sweep with a Clefable in OU.

Basic Strategy:
    Lead with Smeargle and ideally put something to sleep and pass a Quiver Dance or Ingrain. Then keep passing between the Eons, boosting or attacking when you see fit, until you finally settle on a Cosmic Power user for the final sweep. Alakazam is there to take stuff out in case the chain breaks or if you run into other problems.

[​IMG]
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Baton Pass
    - Ingrain
    - Spore
    - Quiver Dance

I wanted to avoid using him originally, but I kept getting whirlwind/roared out after setting up, so I turned to the only ingrain passer in the game (the extra health helps too). Usually I spore unless I suspect a taunt or sub, and then Quiver Dance pass or Ingrain Pass if I'm faster and I see something that's usually a phaser (Skarmory, Hippowdon, etc).

[​IMG]
    Espeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Baton Pass
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Signal Beam

Espeon is for laying (read reflecting) entry hazards and blocking status and phasers in case there's no time to set up an ingrain. Calm mind while they are switching, and either pass or attack depending on what they send in. I originally had Psychic or Shadow Ball over Signal Beam, but I really liked the surprise factor of Signal Beam and it lets me take a good chunk out of darks that would normally wall me. Also it just looks dam* cool (in the actual game at least). HP Fire for steels, which it usually ends up facing.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Roar
    - Acid Armor
    - Baton Pass

I use this guy as the defensive tank of the team, but it can hold it's own against special attacks too. Roar is for when the enemy starts setting up on you, and Acid Armor is to give to Espeon or to one of the Cosmic Power users to give them a head start.

[​IMG]
    Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 4 SAtk / 124 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Cosmic Power
    - Psycho Shift
    - Roost
    - Stored Power

Standard set. After boosting around with the eons, I look at the opponent's remaining mons and try to decide if Sigilyph or Clefable has the better chance at the most Pokemon out. Obviously something like Heal Bell Umbreon or Houndoom would completely wall this, but otherwise Stored Power can get really strong, even against stuff that resists psychic.

[​IMG]
    Clefable @ Toxic Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Facade
    - Cosmic Power
    - Softboiled

Okay okay, so I know there are better options than Clefable for this slot, but it's a magic guard team dangit and Clefable is my favorite. It also has good synergy with Sigilyph in terms of balancing out each others' weaknesses. Anyway, Facade and Flamethrower give it a chance against most things not named Chandelure. Definitely want at LEAST one Calm Mind going when passing into Clefable. Let me say, it is so satisfying when the opponent switches into Breloom, realizes they can't spore you, and takes a OHKO Flamethrower to the face. @ Leftovers and Focus Blast/Seismic Toss over Facade was another set I tried. Clefable really enjoys the extra health while setting up Cosmic Power, but toxic orb makes sure that it won't be put to sleep or paralyzed.

[​IMG]
    Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard set with HP ice for dragons. Alakazam is to clean up when something goes wrong, plain and simple.

Fears:
    I think this team's biggest fear is Jirachi. Once the paraflinching starts... it's hard to stop. I think the only way to deal with it is to hope to get a Def boost beforehand and burn stall it with Clefable or Sigilyph. T-tar and dark moves in general can also be a problem, but luckily sucker punch isn't a big issue because you'll likely see them fail with it first while you're setting up. Blissey can also wall me, but after enough boosts Stored Power and Burn should be able to take her down.

Final Notes:
    So I bet you're thinking, no physical attackers? With burns and intimidates and status on contact abilities, I've always thought of Special being the superior attack type. Facade can work when you really need Physical, but burn stalling and boosted special attacks seem to work fine. There is also no need for a rapid spinner since half of the team is immune to entry hazards. The battles can end up getting pretty long, but definitely fun to try out and performs better than it looks. I'm sort of new at this so suggestions are welcome!! but I hope I can stick more or less to the over all theme of the team.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)