OU Magneton

QC: Valentine / TheEnder / aim
GP: Lord Alphose / Winry

Overview
########

Magneton is mostly outclassed by its evolution, as Magnezone has superior offensive and defensive power, but Magneton's niche lies in its higher Speed, which allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Greninja and Jolly Talonflame when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Magneton has a very good Special Attack that allows it to hit quite hard. It has a good ability in Magnet Pull, which allows Magneton to trap and beat Steel-types. It can use Volt Switch to help keep up momentum for teams. Magneton is immune to paralysis and poison, which allows it to absorb these sorts of status for teammates. It has a decent Electric / Steel typing, though it does have a 4x weakness to Ground-type attacks. Magneton has average defenses, but those are a bit let down by a mediocre HP stat. It has a small movepool with very limited options, which allows it to only fill out a single role effectively. Magneton is also easily beaten by specially defensive Pokemon, though it is capable of switching out against all Pokemon but Ground-types with Volt Switch. It is also rather item-reliant, as without its item, it will be too slow to outspeed several threats.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Magnet Pull
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Volt Switch allows Magneton to keep up momentum as well as switch out of Pokemon that threaten it, except against Ground-types. Thunderbolt has superior power to Volt Switch, which allows it to hit slightly harder. Flash Cannon is another good STAB attack that hits Ground-types which are immune to the former two attacks. Hidden Power Fire is really useful to hit Steel-types, most notably Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is the reason why to use Magneton over Magnezone, as it allows Magneton to outspeed Greninja, Talonflame, Starmie, and Dragonite after a Dragon Dance as well as Speed tie Mega Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. Magnet Pull traps Steel-types, meaning Magneton can take care of them. Max Special Attack investment ensures that Magneton hits as hard as possible, and the max Speed investment along with a Timid nature help Magneton outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 115 or higher.

Usage Tips
========

Use Volt Switch most of the time in order to gain momentum; however, you should play carefully with it; you cannot risk a Ground-type switching in and forcing you to switch in order to remain healthy. When a Steel-type is on the field, switch into Magneton in order to trap and eventually beat it. Don't switch in on an Excadrill or Heatran, because the former one can OHKO with Earthquake and the latter can take any hit and strike back with a Fire-type STAB attack. Magneton can also be used to clean up with Volt Switch once the foe has been brought down to low health.

Team Options
========

Other U-turn users or Volt Switch users such as Landorus-T and Rotom-W make for good partners, as they'll be able to keep up the momentum for the team. Pokemon that beat up Ground-types, such as Greninja, Azumarill, and Venusaur, are really useful too, as Magneton has a hard time against Ground-types. Furthermore, Pokemon that take advantage of the fact that Magneton is capable of beating up Steel-types, such as Latios, Gyarados, Greninja, Mega Altaria, and Mega Beedrill, and those that can clean up after are good partners too. And last, but not least, physical wallbreakers that get rid of special walls that hinder Magneton, such as Bisharp and Azumarill, also make for great partners.

Other Options
########

Analytic can be used for superior power, but that stops Magneton from being able to trap Steel-types, which means that it loses its niche. Sturdy is also a possibility to prevent Magneton from being OHKOed, but again, it cannot trap Steel-types. Eviolite is an option, but that'd waste Magneton's niche as a Choice Scarf trapper and its mediocre HP limits its effectiveness. Hidden Power Ice is another option that helps to hit Dragon-types better, but Hidden Power Fire is better in most situations because Magneton would struggle against Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn otherwise. Explosion is also an option that can bring in setup sweepers safely after use, though it lacks good power because of Magneton's lacking base 60 Attack. Substitute can prevent Magneton from being revenge killed after it KOes a Steel-type, but it cannot really miss out on other attacks.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, and Swampert, are immune to Volt Switch and Thunderbolt and can OHKO Magneton with one of their STAB attacks, although the former two cannot reliably switch into Flash Cannon.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Mega Manectric, Magnezone, and Thundurus-T are capable of tanking any hit, as they resist Magneton's Electric- and Steel-type STAB attacks, and can usually take a Hidden Power Fire and continue by beating Magneton or, in Thundurus-T's case, set up on it.

**Specially defensive walls**: Specially defensive walls, such as Cresselia and Heatran, can take any of Magneton's attacks and set up on it. The latter is capable of straight KOing Magneton with a Fire-type attack.

**Super effective priority**: As Magneton is a bit frail because of its low HP stat, super effective priority, such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Breloom, can easily beat Magneton.

Last edited:
Magneton seems interesting. I'm using Magnezone on my own team, but I still can't really see the point in actually using it - it has better speed, but less bulk, less power, and the same weaknesses.

Sorry if this isn't the place for that, but anyway, I like this analysis. Magneton is pretty similar to Magnezone other than stats and I think you did a good job covering it. But wouldn't Magnezone technically be a counter to it? Specs Mag ohkos and Scarf Ton 2hkos.

Magneton seems interesting. I'm using Magnezone on my own team, but I still can't really see the point in actually using it - it has better speed, but less bulk, less power, and the same weaknesses.

Sorry if this isn't the place for that, but anyway, I like this analysis. Magneton is pretty similar to Magnezone other than stats and I think you did a good job covering it. But wouldn't Magnezone technically be a counter to it? Specs Mag ohkos and Scarf Ton 2hkos.
I will mention Magnezone along Electric-types. Thanks!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Couple things:
You say in the overview that it cant be slowed down with sticky web, item removal, or speed-lowering attacks. This doesnt make sense, as it certainly can be slowed down by sticky web, losing its scarf, or the rare rock tomb or some other move that lowers your speed. The only notable thing is that its immune to paralysis, which is always nice.
I wouldnt really say "its beaten easily by specially defensive pokemon", as unless youre referring to ground-types, it can just pivot out of stuff like chansey to a teammate to threaten them.
I'd toss in priority in c&c, as an aqua jet from azumarill, sucker punch from bisharp, and more importantly, mach punch from breloom and conkeldurr can pick off a weakened magneton.
Mention in the ground types section that none bar swampert appreciate switching into a flash cannon.

Couple things:
You say in the overview that it cant be slowed down with sticky web, item removal, or speed-lowering attacks. This doesnt make sense, as it certainly can be slowed down by sticky web, losing its scarf, or the rare rock tomb or some other move that lowers your speed. The only notable thing is that its immune to paralysis, which is always nice.
I wouldnt really say "its beaten easily by specially defensive pokemon", as unless youre referring to ground-types, it can just pivot out of stuff like chansey to a teammate to threaten them.
I'd toss in priority in c&c, as an aqua jet from azumarill, sucker punch from bisharp, and more importantly, mach punch from breloom and conkeldurr can pick off a weakened magneton.
Mention in the ground types section that none bar swampert appreciate switching into a flash cannon.
Will edit rest later, but on the first part, I said meaning it can't be slowed down WITHOUT sticky web. With sticky web, item removal or speed lowering moves, it can be slowed down. that's what I mean.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because of the HP Fire Speed IV decrease, Scarf Magneton actually ties with +1 Adamant MGyara, I feel like you should clarify that too.

Last edited:
Because of the HP Fire Speed IV decrease, Scarf Magnezone actually ties with +1 Adamant MGyara, I feel like you should clarify that too.
I might later today, but will probably put the suggested changes in the analysis tomorrow, as I lack time today. Also, Albacore, you meant Magneton :p

Valentine

Banned deucer.
1/3 not much more to say. put explosion in other options, you can get in your set up sweepers safely this way.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
mention that azu, gyara, greninja also can take advantage of steels being removed in team options, alongside the ones already mentioned.

2/3

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i'd add that pokemon like altaria and beedrill love that steels are gone. 3/3 fren

Heya, here's a am check I did n_n

add / remove / Capitalize or lowercase / comments

Magneton is mostly outclassed by its evolution as it has superior offensive and defensive power, but its niche lies in its higher Speed that allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Greninja and Jolly Talonflame when attached to given a Choice Scarf. Even though its evolution has better Special Attack, Magneton still has a very good Special Attack that allows it to hit quite hard. It has a good ability in Magnet Pull, which allows Magneton to trap and beat Steel-types. Magneton can use Volt Switch that which helps it to keep up momentum for teams. Another niche of Magneton is the fact that it is immune to paralysis;,(remove semicolon)(AC) this is quite a useful niche that because it means that Magneton can absorb paralysis-inducing moves for teammates. It has a decent typing, though it does have a 4x weakness to Ground-types. Magneton has average Defenses, both physically and specially, but those are a bit let down by a mediocre HP stat. It has a small movepool with very limited options, aside from that, which allows it to only fill out a single role effectively. Magneton is also easily beaten by specially defensive Pokemon, though it is capable of switching out of them with Volt Switch, except against Ground-types. It is also rather item-reliant, as without its item,(RC)it will be left weak with missing out on outspeeding and KOing several threats it will be unable to outspeed and KO several threats.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is a good move that allows Magneton to keep up momentum as well as it and allows it to switch out of Pokemon that threaten it, except against Ground-types as they are immune to the move. Thunderbolt has superior power does more damage than Volt Switch, which allows it to hit slightly harder in some situations. Flash Cannon is another good STAB attack that hits Ground-types that are immune to the former two attacks. Hidden Power Fire is really useful to hit Steel-types once they're trapped, and hits Ferrothorn and Scizor, most notably.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is the reason why to use Magneton over Magnezone, as it allows it to outspeed Greninja and Talonflame, as well as it outspeeds Starmie, Dragonite after a Dragon Dance, and speedties Mega-Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. Magnet Pull traps Steel-types, meaning Magneton can take care of them after, this helps it to fill out its role exceptionally well. Max Special Attack ensure Magneton hits as hard as possible, and the max Speed EVs along with a Timid nature help Magneton to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 115 or higher.

Usage Tips
========

You should be using Volt Switch most of the time in order to gain momentum, however, you should play carefully with it; you Magneton cannot risk a Ground-type switching in and forcing you it to switch in order to remain healthy. When a Steel-type is on the field, switch into Magneton in order to trap it and eventually beat it. Don't if your opponent is However, this will not work against an Excadrill or Heatran, because the former one can OHKO with Earthquake and the latter can take any hit and strike back with a Fire-type STAB. Magneton can also be used to clean up with Volt Switch once the opponent has been brought down to low health. sorry if i'm wrong here, but did you move thunderbolt for the last part?

Team Options
========

Other U-turn users or Volt Switch users such as Landorus-Therian and Rotom-Wash make good partners, as they'll be able to keep up the momentum for the team. Pokemon that beat up Ground-types, such as Greninja, Azumarill and Venusaur are really useful too,(RC) since Magneton has a hard time against those types of Pokemon them. Furthermore, Pokemon that take advantage of the fact that Magneton is capable of beating up Steel-types, such as Latios, Gyarados, Greninja, Altaria, and Beedrill that can clean up after are good partners too. And last, but not least Finally, physical wallbreakers that get rid of special walls that hinder Magneton while doing its job, such as Bisharp and Azumarill, also make great partners.

Other Options
########

Analytic can be used for superior power, but that disallows it to trap Steel-types, which means that it fulfills its job way worse but this will leave Magneton unable to trap Steel-types it's meant to counter. Sturdy is also a possibility to prevent OHKOes, yet it cannot trap Steel-types, once again. Eviolite is an option, but that'd waste Magneton's niche as a Choice Scarf trapper and the mediocre HP is another reason to not use it. Hidden Power Ice is another option that helps to hit Dragon-types better, but HP Fire is better in most situations because it struggles against Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn otherwise. Explosion is also an option that can bring in a setup sweeper safely in after use, though it lacks good power because of its underaverage low 60 base Attack. Substitute can prevent Magneton from getting revenge(space)killed after it beats up a Steel-type, but it cannot really miss out on other attacks.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp and Swampert, are immune to Volt Switch and Thunderbolt and then can OHKO Magneton with one of their STAB attacks,.(RC)(AP)However, yet the former two cannot reliably switch into Flash Cannon.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Manectric-Mega Mega-Manectric, Magnezone and Thundurus are capable of tanking any hit, as they resist the former 3 attacks and can usually take a Hidden Power Fire, and can continue by beating it or in Thundurus's case, set up on it.

**Specially defensive walls**: Specially defensive walls, such as Cresselia and Heatran, can take any of Magneton's attacks and set up on it. The latter is capable of straight KOing OHKOing Magneton with a Fire-type Attack.

**Super effective priority**: As Magneton is a bit frail because of its low HP stat, Super effective priority,(RC) such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Breloom can easily beat Magneton because it is frail with it's low HP stat.

I think it is worth specifying that Magneton, with its scarf in hand, just barely fails to outrun positive max investment base 130s at level 100, just for the sake of specifying its limits.. however if it is battling at level 50(PSS normal rules) it actually outruns said 130s by 1 point if it opts to use Hidden Power Ice(which imo is a viable alternative to HP Fire to be able to hit +1 Dragonite hard or OHKO after rocks) but fails to outrun them if it uses HP Fire.

I think it is worth specifying that Magneton, with its scarf in hand, just barely fails to outrun positive max investment base 130s at level 100, just for the sake of specifying its limits.. however if it is battling at level 50(PSS normal rules) it actually outruns said 130s by 1 point if it opts to use Hidden Power Ice(which imo is a viable alternative to HP Fire to be able to hit +1 Dragonite hard or OHKO after rocks) but fails to outrun them if it uses HP Fire.
there aren't any Pokemon with a base Speed stat of 130 in OU/BL, the highest is Talonflame which is actually outran with an Adamant nature, so I'm not adding that in, I think. Thanks for the advice though.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment
Overview
########

Magneton is mostly outclassed by its evolution as it has superior offensive and defensive power, but its niche lies in its higher Speed thatwhich allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Greninja and Jolly Talonflame when attachequipped towith a Choice Scarf. Even though its evolution has better Special Attack, Magneton still has a very good Special Attack that allows it to hit quite hard. It has a good ability in Magnet Pull, which allows Magneton to trap and beat Steel-types. MagnetonIt can use Volt Switch that helps it to keep up momentum for teams. Another niche of Magneton is the fact that it is immune to paralysis; quite a and poison(Steel typing allows it poison-immunity. That's always nice. I don't know though, so you don't have to add that.); this is very useful niche tha,(AC) as it means that Magneton can absorb paralysis-inducing movestatus for teammates. It has a decent typing, though it does have a 4x weakness to Ground-type attacks. Magneton has average Ddefenses, both physically and specially, but those are a bit let down by a mediocre HP stat. It has a small movepool with very limited options, aside from that, which allows it to only fill out a single role effectively. Magneton is also easily beaten by specially defensive Pokemon, though it is capable of switching out of them with Volt Switch, except against Ground-types. It is also rather item-reliant, as without its item, it will be leftoo sloweak with missing out on outspeeding and KOing several threats.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is a good move that allows Magneton to keep up momentum as well as it allows it to switch out of Pokemon that threaten it, except against Ground-types as they are immune to the move. Thunderbolt has superior power thano Volt Switch, which allows it to hit slightly harder in some situations(Higher Base Power, it will always hit harder.). Flash Cannon is another good STAB attack that hits Ground-types that are immune to the former two attacks. Hidden Power Fire is really useful to hit Steel-types once they're trapped, and hits Ferrothorn and Scizor, most notably.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is the reason why to use Magneton over Magnezone, as it allows it to outspeed Greninja and Talonflame, as well as it outspeeds Starmie, and Dragonite after a Dragon Dance, and ss well as Speed ties Mega- Gyarados(No hyphen) after a Dragon Dance. Magnet Pull traps Steel-types, meaning Magneton can take care of them after, this helps it to fill out its role exceptionally well. Max Special Attack investment ensures Magneton hits as hard as possible, and the max Speed EVsinvestment along with a Timid nature help Magneton to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 115 or higher.

Usage Tips
========

You should be usingUse Volt Switch most of the time in order to gain momentum,;(semicolon) however, you should play carefully with it; you cannot risk a Ground-type switching in and forcing you to switch in order to remain healthy. When a Steel-type is on the field, switch into Magneton in order to trap it and eventually beat it. Don't switch in if your opponent is an Excadrill or Heatran, because the former one can OHKO with Earthquake and the latter can take any hit and strike back with a Fire-type STAB attack. Magneton can also be used to clean up with Volt Switch once the opponent has been brought down to low health.

Team Options
========

Other U-turn users or Volt Switch users such as Landorus-Therian and Rotom-Wash make good partners, as they'll be able to keep up the momentum for the team. Pokemon that beat up Ground-types, such as Greninja, Azumarill,(AC) and Venusaur are really useful too, asince Magneton has a hard time against those types of Pokemon. Furthermore, Pokemon that take advantage of the fact that Magneton is capable of beating up Steel-types, such as Latios, Gyarados, Greninja, Altaria, and Mega Beedrill that can clean up after are good partners too. And last, but not least, physical wallbreakers that get rid of special walls that hinder Magneton while doing its job, such as Bisharp and Azumarill, also make great partners.

Other Options
########

Analytic can be used for superior power, but that disallowstops it from being able to trap Steel-types, which means that it fulfillloses its job way worsniche. Sturdy is also a possibility to prevent OHKOes, yetbut again,(AC) it cannot trap Steel-types, once again. Eviolite is an option, but that'd waste Magneton's niche as a Choice Scarf trapper and theits mediocre HP limits another reason to not use itits effectiveness. Hidden Power Ice is another option that helps to hit Dragon-types better, but Hidden Power Fire is better in most situations because itMagneton struggles against Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn otherwise. Explosion is also an option that can bring in setup sweeper safely in after use, though it lacks good power because of its underaverageMagneton's lacking 60 base Attack. Substitute can prevent Magneton from gettbeing revenge killed(Two words) after it beats upKOes a Steel-type, but it cannot really miss out on other attacks.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp,(AC) and Swampert, are immune to Volt Switch and Thunderbolt and can OHKO Magneton with one of their STAB attacks, yetalthough the former two cannot reliably switch into Flash Cannon.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Mega Manectric-Mega, Magnezone,(AC) and Thundurus are capable of tanking any hit, as they resist the former 3Magenton's Electric- and Steel-type STAB attacks and can usually take a Hidden Power Fire, and can continue by beating it or in Thundurus's case, set up on it.

**Specially defensive walls**: Specially defensive walls, such as Cresselia and Heatran, can take any of Magneton's attacks and set up on it. The latter is capable of straight KOing Magneton with a Fire-type Attack.

**Super effective priority**: As Magneton is a bit frail because of its low HP stat, super effective priority, such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Breloom can easily beat Magneton.
GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:
In Progress of adding the above GP check.

EDIT: Implemented! Ready for the 2nd check.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

Magneton is mostly outclassed by its evolution, (AC) as it Magnezone has superior offensive and defensive power, but its Magneton's niche lies in its higher Speed, (AC) which allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Timid Greninja and Jolly Talonflame when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Even though its evolution has better Special Attack, (RC) Magneton still has a very good Special Attack that allows it to hit quite hard. It has a good ability in Magnet Pull, which allows Magneton to trap and beat Steel-types. It can use Volt Switch that helps it to help keep up momentum for teams. Another niche of Magneton is the fact that it is immune to paralysis and poison;, (semi -> comma) which allows it to this is a very useful niche, as it means Magneton can absorb these sorts of status for teammates. It has a decent Electric / Steel typing, though it does have a 4x weakness to Ground-type attacks. Magneton has average defenses, but those are a bit let down by a mediocre HP stat. It has a small movepool with very limited options, aside from that, (RC) which allows it to only fill out a single role effectively. Magneton is also easily beaten by specially defensive Pokemon, though it is capable of switching out of them against all Pokemon but Ground-types with Volt Switchs, (RC) except against Ground-types. It is also rather item-reliant, as without its item, it will be too slow to outspeed several threats.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is a good move that allows Magneton to keep up momentum as well as switch out of Pokemon that threaten it, except against Ground-types. Thunderbolt has superior power to Volt Switch, which allows it to hit slightly harder. Flash Cannon is another good STAB attack that hits Ground-types that which are immune to the former two attacks. Hidden Power Fire is really useful to hit Steel-types, (AC) most notably Ferrothorn and Scizor, (AC) once they're trapped, (RC) and hits Ferrothorn and Scizor, (RC) most notably.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is the reason why to use Magneton over Magnezone, as it allows it Magneton to outspeed Greninja, Talonflame, Starmie, and Dragonite after a Dragon Dance, (RC) as well as Speed tie Mega Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. Magnet Pull traps Steel-types, meaning Magneton can take care of them. Max Special Attack investment ensures that Magneton hits as hard as possible, and the max Speed investment along with a Timid nature help Magneton outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 115 or higher.

Usage Tips
========

Use Volt Switch most of the time in order to gain momentum; however, you should play carefully with it; you cannot risk a Ground-type switching in and forcing you to switch in order to remain healthy. When a Steel-type is on the field, switch into Magneton in order to trap it and eventually beat it. Don't switch in if your opponent is on an Excadrill or Heatran, because the former one can OHKO with Earthquake and the latter can take any hit and strike back with a Fire-type STAB attack. Magneton can also be used to clean up with Volt Switch once the opponent foe has been brought down to low health.

Team Options
========

Other U-turn users or Volt Switch users such as Landorus-T and Rotom-W make for good partners, as they'll be able to keep up the momentum for the team. Pokemon that beat up Ground-types, such as Greninja, Azumarill, and Venusaur, (AC) are really useful too, as Magneton has a hard time against Ground-types those types of Pokemon. Furthermore, Pokemon that take advantage of the fact that Magneton is capable of beating up Steel-types, such as Latios, Gyarados, Greninja, Mega Altaria, and Mega Beedrill, (AC) and that can clean up after are good partners too. And last, but not least, physical wallbreakers that get rid of special walls that hinder Magneton while doing its job, such as Bisharp and Azumarill, also make for great partners.

Other Options
########

Analytic can be used for superior power, but that stops it Magneton from being able to trap Steel-types, which means that it loses its niche. Sturdy is also a possibility to prevent Magneton from being OHKOed OHKOes, but again, it cannot trap Steel-types. Eviolite is an option, but that'd waste Magneton's niche as a Choice Scarf trapper and its mediocre HP limits its effectiveness. Hidden Power Ice is another option that helps to hit Dragon-types better, but Hidden Power Fire is better in most situations because Magneton would struggle against Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn otherwise. Explosion is also an option that can bring in setup sweeper safely in after use, though it lacks good power because of Magneton's lacking base 60 base Attack. Substitute can prevent Magneton from being revenge killed after it KOes a Steel-type, but it cannot really miss out on other attacks.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, and Swampert, are immune to Volt Switch and Thunderbolt and can OHKO Magneton with one of their STAB attacks, although the former two cannot reliably switch into Flash Cannon.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Mega Manectric, Magnezone, and Thundurus are capable of tanking any hit, as they resist Magneton's Electric- and Steel-type STAB attacks, (AC) and can usually take a Hidden Power Fire, (RC) and can continue by beating it Magnezone or, (AC) in Thundurus's case, set up on it.

**Specially defensive walls**: Specially defensive walls, such as Cresselia and Heatran, can take any of Magneton's attacks and set up on it. The latter is capable of straight KOing Magneton with a Fire-type attack.

**Super effective priority**: As Magneton is a bit frail because of its low HP stat, super effective priority, such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Breloom, (AC) can easily beat Magneton.

2/2

Last edited:
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Mega Manectric, Magnezone, and Thundurus are capable of tanking any hit, as they resist Magneton's Electric- and Steel-type STAB attacks and can usually take a Hidden Power Fire, and can continue by beating it or in Thundurus's case, set up on it.
Thundurus doesn't resist Electric-type moves because it's also a Flying-type pokemon, and is actually 2HKOed by Magneton's Thunderbolt:
252 SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 168-198 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Maybe you meant Thundurus-T?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)