VGC Make it Rain! Make it Rain on that Ho-Oh!

Hi everybody and welcome to my new RMT!

This time I'm trying to receive suggestion about a Rain Team!

I decided to build this team because I've founded a Ludicolo I've breeded I think one year ago and I wanted to use it in a vgc team! Actually I don't even remember for what purpose did I breed the Ludicola... but never mind.

P.S. Ho-oh has nothing to do with the team... I used only because it can remember the word of that song lol

Kerorin (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 20 SpA / 108 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Scald
- Icy Wind

The Rain setter. I've decide to give him to Damp Rock so is more difficult to stall out the rain turns. Scald as major stab attacking move and Icy Wind for speedcontrolling. Helping Hand to support the partner. I've tried Encore over Helping Hand but I think it is to slow to use Encore as I like.

Mr. Sombrero (Ludicolo) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

A bulky set for Ludicolo with a pretty standard moveset: Fake Out to block an enemy's pokemon, scald as main stab move, Ice Beam and Gigadrain for coverage. I choose to run Giga Drain and not Energy Ball for the recovery.

Saphira (Kingdra) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 HP / 228 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Rain Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall

The anti-weather of the team. It change the weather putting it back to rainy. It works really well especially vs Megazard Y: it put the rain over the sun blocking Megazard on the Solarbeam charging turn. Outrage and Waterfall are the main stab moves. As item I decided to use the Lum Berry to prevent annoying status. I decided to use it physical because I don't like the idea of having three water special attacker in the same team.

Gundam (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

As my Mega I decided to use Metagross because I think it work very well with the rain reducing one of his weaknesses. The set is really simple: Iron Head and Zen Headbutt as stab moves + Ice Punch for coverage.

Ener (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 68 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

I'm not sure about his ev spread, but I really like the moveset. I decide to don't use protect to have bot Thunder wave and Taunt. Taunt to avoid trick roomer and redirecter, Thunder Wave for speedcontroll, Thunderbolt as stab moves and HA Ice for coverage.

Ranger (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

I use it principally as scarecrow for the Intimidators and as Sylveon's Killer. The set is pretty standard.

Hoping to receive some good advice and way to improve my team!

bye!

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hey dude, nice team, I'm gonna go through each pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:
Politoed: Honestly nothing i would change, i'm assuming that you know what the EV spread does so i'm not gonna question it lol
Ludicolo: Yeah looks fine too tbh
Kingdra: Alright here's where we run into some trouble lol. While physical kingdra is cool in singles, it honestly isn't the best in VGC considering intimidate spam are still a thing also it's special movepool is so much better. Outrage is cool and all but it's not that great since it doesn't allow you to choose your target. I suggest changing the moveset to Muddy Water, Draco Meteor, Protect, Hydro Pump. Muddy Water cause double target, Draco cause it hits super hard and STAB, protect cause protect, and Hydro Pump cause it hits super hard in the rain (can be better than muddy water at times since its damage won't be split plus higher base power) and for when you need to single target cause of wide guard and whatnot. Dragon Pulse is also another option for when you don't want the sp atk drop but honestly hydro pump is a lot better. Again, assuming you know what the spread does however its honestly the best to give max sp atk to kingdra since its damage output is pretty low even in rain (and since you don't have a power boosting item as the item).
Metagross: Looks fine tbh, ice punch coverage imo isn't really needed. I feel like Bullet Punch will be better for that slot
Thundurus: Also looks fine tbh, imo instead of timid, you should use calm nature
Bisharp: Bisharp is cool and all but tbh you're much better off with a fighting type here like Conkeldurr. You've got Metagross already to cover for Sylveon and your team isn't even that effected by Intimidaters in the first place (and also the most common ones are weak to rain anyways IE Landorus T) The reason i suggested conkeldurr is because it can make your trick room matchup easier and also because Ferrothorn walls like all of your team (the only mon that can really hit it neutrally is like ice beam from ludi and Ice Punch from Metagross but those won't even do that much). Something like Flame Orb Conkeldurr with Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Protect/Wide Guard, Knock Off will work tbh.

Other than that dude your team looks great :) Hope i helped and good luck with it!

But if I remove Rain Dance from Kingdra, it lose all the motivation that made me choose her.

I'm thinking about put Talonflame or Terrakion over Bisharp but I'm not sure witch one.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Rain dance is a waste of a moveslot since most games you play won't even last more than 8 turns, also terrakion is better for Ferro tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)