Making a Gimmick Sandstall Team Competitive

I recently decided I wanted to make an at least somewhat successful team revolving Red Card/Recycle Jirachi. As the title says, I know it's very gimmicky, but it's been surprisingly effective. To my surprise this team began winning roughly 60% of my battles, I'd say how high I laddered if not for Showdown's ladders being broken. But anyway here's the team:

Jirachi @ Red Card
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 32 Spd / 160 Def / 76 SDef
Impish Nature
- Recycle
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish

Jirachi basically functions as an unorthodox parashuffler with good resistances and the ability to do a decent amount of damage. Recycle is there to replace Red Card allowing for an odd method of phazing. Body Slam and Iron Head create the annoying paraflinch combo. Wish keeps Jirachi and the rest of the team alive as long as possible. The EV spread gives a lot of bulk and allows for large wish passes. The way I typically use this set is to first Paralyze the other poke if they aren't already. I then usually use Wish, if needed and due to not having Protect, use Iron Head to let Wish heal me. I'll then Recycle whenever I have an opportunity then repeat the process. Once threats with strong fire and ground attacks are eliminated, Jirachi can very easily stall out entire teams through the residual damage of hazards and sand as well as weaken and Paralyze teams enough for someone else to sweep.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

This was initially Hippowdon but I changed out because the team needed a little bit more punch. His main job is to get sand and SR up. After that he can help punch holes in my opponents team, as he hits fairly hard despite being a more defensive variant. The sets a standard mixed variant, Crunch being the main attack and and Ice Beam and Fire Blast being there for coverage. If I'm playing against a weather team, I protect him as much as possible as long as they have their weather user.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Considering I was building the team around a variant of phazing, I decided that spikes were necessary. Forretress was the perfect poke to use due to the fact he can clear my side of the field and help wall. This is again a fairly standard set. There's not much to explain about him, he sets up spikes, spins and walls, even more so when passed wishes.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Recover
- Ice Beam

When looking for my 4th poke it was obvious I need a spin blocked if I wish to have both SR and Spikes. Looking at my typing thus far I could use another fire resist, so Jellicent was a perfect fit. I opted for a specially defensive set, but I wanted to avoid Toxic/Will-o-Wisp because of Jirachi's paraflinch. At the moment I'm not sure of what to do with the last move.

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

I'm strongly considering replacing Mew. It does it's job well, but I feel like someone, such as Latias would do it better. I initially decided on Mew to amplify the surprise factor that Red Card Jirachi gives, as phazing Mew is very uncommon. If I do keep Mew in, Seismic Toss needs to be replaced because I never use it, and maybe switch out Dragon Tail for Roar.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I added Landorus with intentions of him coming in late game on a weakened and paralyzed team and sweeping but that hasn't worked much. I'm not completely sure of what it is but he needs to be replaced. As is now he's basically a standard rock polish set. Edgequake gives great coverage and HP Ice hits ground and ground types and can finish off flying types with 100% accuracy if Stone Edge doesn't finish them.

i would recommend

ttar: rocks -> pursuit
lets you trap stuff like starmie/latios/latias, and can also pick off weakened pokemon. pursuit ownz, put rocks on another pokemon

forretress: eq -> gyro or toxic spikes
gyro lets you revenge kill outraged dragons. toxic spikes is toxic spikes. stealth rock is also an option here if you can't fit it on anything else

jellicent: surf -> scald
burning stuff is nice, especially since the 30% chance really limits switchins (scizor/ttar pursuit are notable examples)
ice beam -> ghost ball
ghost ball hurts common switchins like celebi/starmie really bad

mew -> heatran or empoleon or skarmory (rocks+phaze+w.e)
there's no reason to use mew as a secondary phazer when other pokemon can do it better
resttalk shuffle gyrados or parashuffle dragonite might work here as well

landorus: life orb -> scarf, rock polish -> uturn
rock polish just isn't as good most of the time, even if you get lando set up he's not that hard to wall
alternately: landorus -> stoutland/terrakion/scizor or similar
stoutland sweeps weakened teams really easily with return and he's really good as a revenge killer

you'll still have problems with some pokemon like breloom, mixmence, mixdreigon, etc but hey who doesn't right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)