ORAS OU Maltesers

Hey guys, Nam here. I wanted to createa team around Mega-Altaria cause it seemed like an amazing pokemon to use, but overshadowed by the other Mega Dragon; Megamence. Maltaria has a great offensive typing with all around stats, w/ an 110 BST in Atk, Defense, SpAttack and 105SpDef.
Team:

I should've been a Thundercloud Mega Pokemon, but noooo...

Pokemon: Altaria --> Mega Altaria
Ability: Natural Cure > Pixilate
EVs: 252Atk / 252Speed /4 SpDef
Happiness: 0
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

The star of the team, Maltaria. I decided to go with a physically attacking set to make use of an amazing setup move, Dragon Dance, as it can boost speed and attack at the same time which is pretty useful. I went with Frustration so that Ditto's with max happiness will hardly be able to damage me. :P Then, i decided to go with Earthquake to get rid of pokemon like Heatran and not get damaged by Ferro's Iron Barbs and potential Rocky Helmet when going for Frustration if I didn't have EQ. I then went with roost for recovery as it'll be needed quite a bit. I chose Natural Cure > Cloud Nine on reg. Altaria cause Natural Cure will be more useful at times. I also put 4 EVs into SpDef instead of HP so that when I switch in Reg. Altaria into rocks, it'll only take 24%.

PAX ME SCIZOR

Pokemon: Skarmory
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed
Nature: Bold
- Stealth Rocks
- Counter
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Aah Skarm. My Stealth Rock Setter, my wall to a countless number of pokemon, and my wing condition setup ruiner. I went with SR cause it's so useful in this meta. <3 Then, I decided to go with Counter just to deal a ton of damage to whoever hits me. For example, if it's a Megamence w/ +1 atk and hit me with Frustration/Return/etc, it'd probably take a lot of damage or even faint to Skarm's Counter. I then went with Roost cause recovery is recovery and it keeps up sturdy most of the time. Finally, I decided to go with Whirlwind over Defog just so that it can prevent greedy people who try to setup too much from attempting to get rid of most of my team. :P I also went with Skarm because it pretty much walls all of Maltaria's weaknesses, > Steel is immune to poison, Steel resists fairy, Steel resists Steel and Ice is 1x effective against Skarm.

OmnomNAMnomnom fkin NOM.

Pokemon: Garchomp
Item: Choice Scarf (Used to be Lum Berry)
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 212 ATK / 44 SpAttack / 252 Speed
Nature: Naive
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
Garchomp, one of my fav. pokemon back in Gen 4 and 5 and is still one of my fav. <3 Garchomp's my cleaner and does it's job extremely well. I chose Garchomp over Banded T-Flame, Dragonite etc, because of the fact it has an incredible movepool and it's pretty good speed, allowing it to be able to use Choice Scarf really well. I went with Outrage because it does massive amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and since Dragon only has like 1 or 2 resists and 1 immunity, Outrage is amazing apart from the fact you get confused and trapped at the end. I went with Earthquake because that's the best STAB Move 'nuff said. Stone Edge to get rid of those pesky flying types and fire blast to take out ferrothorn + scizor, etc.

Friendship is Magic

Pokemon: Keldeo
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is a huge offensive presence to most teams and this guy is also one of my cleaners and a great way to start a game as well. With Hydro Pump + Specs + STAB, it does a ton of damage to pokemon who don't resist it and still does a decent amount to pokemon who resist it. Scald is there for accuracy, STAB and that burn chance. Burning a Pokemon is amazing because it halves the burned pokemon's attack stat which is pretty much always useful. Then, I went with Secret Sword cause it's accurate and it's great coverage + power + STAB. Then I chose Icy Wind over any Hidden Powers because if I can get an Icy Wind onto a latios or something and do 50 or so %, I can 2hko 'em the next turn if they decide to stay in, usually w/o taking any damage.

Be scared T-TAR! (plserino no scarferino ;-; )

Pokemon: Thundurus
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 ATK / 252 SpAttack / 252 Speed
Nature: Hasty
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- HP Ice

Mixed Thundurus is a monster in this meta. I first went with Thunerbolt as this guy's main attacking move as it is pretty strong w/ STAB and yeah. Then I went with Knock Off. With Knock Off's damage being increased up to 65 base damage, knocking off a pokemon w/ an item if it's not a MegaStone or something does 95 base damage, which is pretty good considering it's 100% accuracy. Then I decided to go with Superpower cause after Knock Off to a chansey, Superpower does quite a lot. And Superpower helps get rid of T-Tars who think they'll live a T-Bolt or sumin. Finally, I went with HP Ice for coverage and to get rid of them quad weak to ice pokemon. ^-^

Rawr, fear my Devil Form!

Pokemon: Porygon-Z
Ability: Adaptability
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 252HP / 252 SpA / 4SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fire

I honestly don't see why more people use this monstrous duck Pokemon. It's base 135 SpA is amazing with a decent 90 Base Speed. With Adaptability + Specs, Tri-Attack it can OHKO some things, and 2HKO things that don't resist it. I then went with Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and HP for Coverage. HP Fire because I don't have a fire type on my team, T-Bolt and Ice Beam are general coverage moves. Porygon-Z shouldn't be underestimated, it's a godly being.

Yeah, thanks for reading le post, hope you can improve my team someway! :D
~Namda

Mega Altaria is a cool Pokemon to use, but I suggest a few changes to the team.

I recommend changing Thundurus' EV spread to 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spe. This allows you to always OHKO Latios with Knock Off after Stealth Rock, which comes very handy, especially since Latios can be problematic for this team.

I do not think Skarmory is the best choice for a team so offensive in nature. Personally, given that your team is highly Talonflame weak, I would recommend switching your Skarmory for a Heatran. Without Heatran, Talonflame will run right over your team, which is not something that you want to have to deal with. Heatran also retains your access to Stealth Rock while still being able to keep up the offensive pressure.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Taunt

Choice Scarf Garchomp is almost completely outclassed by Choice Scarf Landorus-T, which provides momentum with U-turn, has Intimidate, and hits harder (The loss of speed is not that important at the moment, Scarf Landorus-T outspeeds most of what it needs outspeed). I suggest you change your Garchomp to a Landorus-T, as Choice Scarf Garchomp tends to squander momentum really quickly, due to how easy it is to beat.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Porygon-Z has the issue of not having the speed nor bulk to pull its weight in OU. As a result, it tends to die really quickly. Since you really need something that can handle Skarmory and Ferrothorn, I recommend changing your Porygon-Z to a Magnezone. Magnezone can trap Ferrothorn and Skarmory not carrying SHed Shell, allowing Mega Altaria to sweep without worrying about then.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Make those changes, and you should be good to go. Good luck![/HIDE]

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All of Alfafa's changes are very good so I don't have too much to add. Magnezone is particular would be a very welcome addition to your team since it traps Altaria checks. I would give it a Choice Scarf however, since that enables it to check Mega-Gardevoir who can force Altaria, Garchomp, Keldeo, or both of which you are very weak to decently, and Landorus-T with Knock Off lets you remove that pesky Shed Shell pretty much all Skarmorys carry nowadays.

I have some more advice you can follow :

- Given that one of your Pokemon is weak to rocks and another needs to Mega-Evolve to take neutral damage from them, I would fit Defog or Rapid Spin on something. As your team stands, Skarmory could work but can't really fit defog on its moveset. Latios could work as your defogger, since it enables you to beat Mega-Venusaur and acts as a secondary answer to YZard who also walls Altaria. However, you do end up with 3 Dragon types and an even greater weakness to Ice which isn't really something you want. I guess you could run it as your Scarfer, since it acts as a Greninja check/lure. Another thing you could do to deal with MVenu is run Hidden Power Flying on Thundurus : this enables you to lure it and make it no longer an issue.

- Jirachi is a decent option over Skarmory if you want a more consistent answer to Mega-Gardevoir. It also kinda deals with your Greninja weakness though Dark Pulse hurts, and is a good answer to Mega-Venusaur and beats Clefable, both of which you are weak to.

- Porygon-Z is pretty outclassed in OU due to its low speed and pretty poor main STAB. You already have a powerful special nuke in Keldeo, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to do on your team? I'd honestly remove it entirely and replace it by one of the Pokemon Alfafa and I suggested.

- Your team is mostly offensive so I don't think Skarmory really fits since it easily kills momentum for the rest of the team. It does provide you with a check to Sand which you are weak to, however, Rotom-W and Physically Defensive Landorus-T are able to do this to, while beating Talonflame which you are pretty weak too particularly the Jolly SD variant (Landorus-T is also able to set up Rocks)

I second the inclusion of Heatran, it has very good defensive and offensive synergy with Maltaria, the exception being Ground types. I agree with the suggested set also, however I would give consideration to Earth Power over taunt for opposing Heatran and to hit Pokemon like Zard X harder. Flash Cannon could also work to hit Fairies too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)