Man, RU is Rough

Lately I've been trying a lot of the new tier, RU, and frankly, the tier is an absolute mess right now. There are SO many things that are broken that it's not even funny. Nevertheless, I'm giving it a go, and I've crafted a fairly successful bulky offensive team that I'm going to share with you all now.

The Team:

A closer look...

Alakazam (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

I haven't seen Alakazam used much in this tier and I don't know why, because frankly, he's a beast. I have him in the lead position here, but he very rarely leads simply because Yanmega leads are all over the place and this Alakazam does not enjoy facing those very much. This set is pure gold, in my opinion. Regular Calm Mind sets are destroyed badly by Honchkrow and Sharpedo, but this SubCM set allows me to beat both of those. Honchkrow LOVES to come in on Alakazam, but with a Sub up I'm free to smash it with a Focus Blast, whereas if I didn't have Sub he would be free to destroy me with a Sucker Punch. Focus Blast isn't a KO on most Honch's without any Calm Minds, but it's never a bad thing to get some damage on a Honchkrow. I'm using Psyshock over Psychic so I can beat CM Cresselias that want to Calm Mind along side me. It also helps against Quiver Dancers, because for some reason I still outspeed some of them after a dance. (Moral of the story: Alakazam is super fast). Obviously, the main problem for this set is in probably the most common Pokemon in the tier: Yanmega....which is why the rest of my team works to counter it pretty efficiently. Synchronize also comes in handy quite a bit. Since Alakazam dies extremely quick anyway, I'm usually not afraid to switch into a Toxic so I can hurt the Toxic user quite a bit as well (usually stuff like Blastoise get hit with this).

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I used to have Throh here, but this Rhyperior set is superior and works better for the team by being bulkier, giving me Stealth Rock, and providing an electric immunity. This set isn't really designed to sweep, but be a monstrous tank and phazer. Rhyperior does absurd damage with his dual STABs, and his bulkiness and ability makes him extremely difficult to kill. Dragon Tail is a great move here that phazes and does plenty of damage, and Stealth Rock helps my team out a TON by getting damage on things like Moltres, Honchkrow, and Yanmega.

Honchkrow (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Insomnia
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Screw those mixed Life Orb Honchkrows or whatever...this is the best set. Choice Band Brave Birds tear basically everything in this tier to shreds besides things like Steelix or Regirock (and that's why we have Superpower here, folks). Sucker Punch is the main draw of this set, though, allowing me to smack sweepers extremely hard. Most people predict it and play annoying mind games with me, and since Sucker Punch has such a small amount of PP, I have to often play conservatively with my Sucker Punches. However, when it really matters, I manage to get insane KOs with this guy. I prefer Night Slash in the last slot so I can have a solid dark move for when Sucker Punch is too risky of a choice. I seem to get hit with Knock Off quite often with this guy too and it's always nice to have options after the Knock Off.

Lilligant (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This is personally my favorite Quiver Dancer in the tier. This slot has been a lot of things, ranging from Meganium to Yanmega to Venomoth, but I've been most satisfied with this little lady. After a couple Quiver Dances it's extremely hard to stop, and the Sleep Powder always helps out a lot. The most questionable choice perhaps about this set is my decision to use Hidden Power Rock over the commonly used HP Fire. Well, my logic here is that the most common types in the tier are Bug and Flying. Using HP Fire hits one of those super effectively, but using Rock hits them both, so why would I use HP Fire? Sure, I lose the ability to beat Eviolite Ferroseed, but the rest of my team has no problems with that, so it seems like Rock is the best choice. Plus, there have been plenty of times where I've maimed a Moltres or Honchkrow with HP Rock, which is something that HP Fire would not be able to do. Giga Drain is a nice STAB move with great recovery and is my most powerful option.

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Toxic

This is my boy right here. His bulk is almost mind-numbing in the face of special attackers and the like. This guy WALLS Yanmega, which is something not many things in this tier can say. (The only Pokemon that are more efficient are Munchlax and perhaps Electrode since it can be immune to most of Mega's attacks with the right set, and neither of them can really do anything, while Entei is universally useful). Most people run Sleep Talk over Toxic, but frankly Entei is bulky enough to survive the two Rest turns, and Toxic has given me more use than simply being able to attack through sleep could give. Roar is here as another phazing move that can be used instead of Throh's Circle Throw. Lava Plume is awesome, burning all kinds of things and basically screwing them over the rest of the match. So, essentially, this is a dual-status tank. And it's great at what it does.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

The cool dude right here. Blastoise helps me in so many ways, giving me phazing, spinning, and he even acts as a very officiant tank, absorbing all kinds of physical abuse and pounding back. He also helps by disrupting rain teams with his Rain Dish (I'm not positive if it's released or not...I think it is. Oh well). Rapid Spinners are very necessary in this tier, because toxic spikes and spikes are all over the place. The only other spinner I would consider is Claydol, who could be useful with this ground typing, but I just feel like Blastoise is better (he even completes a Fire-Water-Grass core!). Roar helps out a lot, even though it's the third phazing move on this team (what? I like messing with people!). Scald's burn chance helps TONS and is the coolest thing on this set imo.

Threats
- This guy does tons of damage, especially when using Specs. Those Thunders are godly, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Replacing Blastoise with Claydol wouldn't help, because these things always have Bug Buzz too. Help?

- This stupid bundle of crap. I hate it, and I always will.

And that's it, folks. Lemme know what you think! And if you're trying to get into this RU metagame, this is a decent team to get you started, so let me know how stuff goes!

Importable:

Alakazam (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Honchkrow (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Insomnia
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Lilligant (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Toxic

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Galvantula gives you problems? It's a solid 'mon, but depending on what HP it's running (and if it has Specs) your Rhyperior should wall it or force the switch.

All Galvantula use Energy Ball. It OHKO's everything on my team but Entei with the right move, but even he can't take multiple Thunders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)