Mandibuzz

[OVERVIEW]

With its excellent typing and 110 / 105 / 95 defensive stats, Mandibuzz is a sturdy wall and utility Pokemon that provides answers to many common threats to balance and stall teams. Mandibuzz's bulk allows it to serve as either a physical or a special wall; its Dark / Flying typing allows it to counter the likes of Chandelure, Shaymin, and Krookodile, though it also comes with a heavily hindering weakness to Stealth Rock. Mandibuzz's useful movepool includes reliable recovery in Roost, a solid STAB move in Foul Play, pivoting ability in U-turn, and good utility in moves such as Knock Off and Taunt. Its Speed, while low enough to generate momentum with a slow U-turn, is higher than that of most other defensive Pokemon, allowing Mandibuzz to act not only as a wall but also a decent stallbreaker with Taunt, Knock Off, and Roost. Additionally, Mandibuzz is a reliable Defog user with a favorable matchup against many common Stealth Rock users, such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Nidoqueen, depending on its spread.

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Taunt / Toxic
move 4: Defog / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Overcoat
nature: Careful
evs: 240 HP / 216 SpD / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides Mandibuzz with a reliable source of recovery and temporarily removes its Flying typing, allowing it to stall against foes such as slower variants of Nidoqueen and Mega Blastoise. Mandibuzz can use Knock Off to weaken special attackers such as Nidoqueen and Shaymin by removing their Life Orb and to remove Leftovers from defensive Pokemon such as Suicune and Florges. Taunt further allows Mandibuzz to wear down foes by preventing recovery of health, infliction of status, boosting, and setup of entry hazards. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards from both sides of the field. Toxic can be used to help further in wearing down defensive Pokemon after their Leftovers has been removed and puts offensive Pokemon such as Feraligatr on a timer. Foul Play can be used instead of Knock Off as a useful way to deal big damage to physical threats, but this compromises Mandibuzz's ability to deal with the aforementioned special attackers.

Set Details
========

52 Speed EVs let Mandibuzz outspeed uninvested Suicune, Gligar, and Cresselia so that Mandibuzz can use Taunt or Knock Off before they move, as well as defensive Rotom formes so that Mandibuzz can Roost before they use Volt Switch. 240 HP EVs maximize Mandibuzz's overall bulk while retaining a favorable number to switch into Stealth Rock. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, which, paired with a Careful nature, lets Mandibuzz easily take on special attackers such as Chandelure, Hydreigon, and Shaymin and even comfortably tank Florges's Moonblasts. Overcoat is Mandibuzz's most useful ability, negating Sleep Powder and Spore as well as the rare hail damage. Leftovers gives Mandibuzz passive recovery, easing switches into Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz fits best on balanced teams that appreciate entry hazard clearing or the wearing down of passive Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Mandibuzz can find many opportunities to switch in due to its excellent bulk and typing. With Taunt, Mandibuzz can defeat many setup sweepers such as Calm Mind Suicune and Reuniclus one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowking, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, provide a physically defensive backbone and help to deal with the Fighting-types that give specially defensive Mandibuzz trouble. Florges also provides a sturdy Fighting resistance as well as cleric support, which will often be useful for healing a burn from one of the many Scalds Mandibuzz will take, and it also offers a check to threats like Mega Ampharos and Kyurem. Nidoqueen and Dragalge both have great synergy with Mandibuzz because they can check Fighting-, Electric-, and Fairy-types and set Toxic Spikes to aid Mandibuzz in wearing teams down.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 2: Foul Play
move 4: Defog / Toxic / Brave Bird
nature: Impish
evs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Mandibuzz to stay in against Pokemon such as Rhyperior by temporarily removing its Flying typing. Foul Play does significant damage to physical attackers such as Entei and Mega Aerodactyl and deters setup from the likes of Slurpuff and Feraligatr. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from recovering their health, setting entry hazards, and inflicting status, which aids Mandibuzz in wearing its foes down. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards set by the likes of Krookodile and Mega Aggron. Toxic is an option to wear down defensive Pokemon and put sweepers on a timer, while Brave Bird can also be used for a harder hit on Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

With the given investment in Speed, Mandibuzz can outspeed uninvested Suicune, Cresselia, and Gligar to Taunt them before they set up or recover health, as well as uninvested Rotom formes to avoid a super effective Volt Switch by using Roost first. The remaining EVs with an Impish nature maximize Mandibuzz's physical bulk to easily deal with Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Doublade. Leftovers is used for passive recovery, reducing Mandibuzz's reliance on Roost. Overcoat is the most useful ability Mandibuzz has and allows it to ignore the effects of Sleep Powder, Spore, and hail.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Mandibuzz fits well on balanced and stall teams that need entry hazard control and a reliable answer to many physical attackers. With its great bulk and typing, Mandibuzz can find several opportunities to switch in and do its job. It should switch into Stealth Rock setters that it has a good matchup against on the turn that they set up Stealth Rock, in order to avoid additional damage. Thanks to Taunt and its decent Speed, Mandibuzz can prevent the recovery of the likes of Snorlax and Umbreon. Mandibuzz should be wary of burns inflicted by Scald, as they reduce Foul Play's damage output.

Team Options
========

Mandibuzz should be paired with special walls such as Florges, which can reliably take on the likes of Hydreigon and Kyurem. If Mandibuzz is the team's entry hazard clearer, it needs a reliable, long-lasting setter of Stealth Rock that can outlast the opposing Stealth Rock user as a teammate; examples are Mega Aggron and Blissey. Blissey also provides cleric support, which is valued, as Mandibuzz is heavily crippled by burn and poison. If Mandibuzz does not run Defog, it should be paired with a hazard remover such as Forretress or Empoleon. Toxic Spikes users such as Qwilfish, Nidoqueen, and Dragalge have good type synergy with Mandibuzz and, in conjunction with Taunt and Knock Off, can quickly wear out opposing teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mandibuzz has access to U-turn and can make great use of the slow momentum it brings, if it can find the room in its moveset. With it, Mandibuzz can pivot out of incoming Kyurem, Cobalion, and other common counters that would otherwise get a free turn. Whirlwind can be used to phaze setup sweepers, but Taunt is more reliable at stopping the likes of CurseLax and Calm Mind Reuniclus and prevents Wish altogether. Brave Bird is a possibility to hit Fighting-types and Whimsicott super effectively. Rocky Helmet is an option on the physically defensive set to punish physical attackers, especially U-turn users, but without Leftovers recovery, Mandibuzz is pressured to use Roost more frequently.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: When Taunted, Mandibuzz can be worn down or beaten by many Pokemon that it would normally beat, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. Taunt also prevents Mandibuzz from removing entry hazards.

**Status**: Scald burns will severely hinder Mandibuzz, especially because it will often have its Leftovers removed by Knock Off. Toxic prevents it from staying in for extended periods of time.

**Electric-, Rock-, and Ice-types**: Pokemon with a type advantage against Mandibuzz, such as Mega Ampharos, Mega Aerodactyl, and Kyurem, can normally easily come in and threaten it with their STAB moves.

**Cobalion and Lucario**: Due to their typing and ability, Cobalion and Lucario use Mandibuzz as complete setup fodder.

**Wallbreakers**: Depending on its EV spread, Mandibuzz can get overwhelmed by the likes of Work Up Pidgeot and Choice Band Entei.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Not QC but...

I would love to see a Moves mention of U-turn as it is a really good move, allowing Mandibuzz to pivot even better than it already can lol. Knock Off + U-turn is really good move synergy too. Also I am wondering why the speed on the SpD set as I usually only run enough to outspeed 16 Speed Cune (which is 60 Speed EVs), but maybe that is because this is heavily a WIP, lol. I also feel that Nasty Plot should get an OO mention as Mandibuzz can have fun setting that up and also can boost its Speed via Weak Armor (Need to test this set tbh lol). Whirlwind should also get an OO mention (maybe even a Moves mention) as it is nice to allow Mandibuzz to phaze out mons that try and set up; however, most attackers will just attack Mandibuzz. Lastly, maybe Rocky Helmet can get a Set Details mention as Mandibuzz has reliable recovery and Rocky Helmet means it can punish U-turn users (although it is still weak to Volt Switch). Other than that, solid start dodmen. Good job! :)

Yes U-turn and Whirlwind will both go in other options. Not Nasty Plot though, Mandibuzz is a strictly defensive Pokemon. Thanks! Also the speed on SpDef is to outspeed min speed Roserade but this is subject to change. I might give Rocky Helmet a mention in OO but nothing more than that. Thanks!

Reactions: nv

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC (obviously) so just some thoughts but I would probably mention clerics in Team Options for the Physically Defensive set considering Mandibuzz is beaten by status, and you did mention clerics in the first set. In Usage Tips of both sets I would give examples of Pokemon Mandibuzz walls. I would expand on Overcoat in the second set similar to how you expanded it on the first set. I would mention physical walls as team options for the first set, seeing as how it is Specially Defensive, while you did give it a slight mention in bulky Psychic-types, I feel the main TO should be physical walls with bulky Psychic-types getting a mention in there; i.e "Physically defensive Pokemon, especially Psychic-types". I would mention in C&C that Scald renders Mandibuzz setup bait, as it cuts Foul Play damage in half. You mentioned Mandibuzz fits best on balanced teams for the first set so you should probably mention what team it fits onto best on the second as well. This is quite niche but you could mention in Moves about how Roost allows Mandibuzz to beat slower Pokemon that target it's Flying-type weaknesses, i.e Rhyperior only 2HKOes but Mandibuzz can beat it since it Roosts first and removes the Flying-type that Rhyperior needed to beat it. Good analysis either way.

Yeah cleric support + the balanced teams thing is something I forgot to transfer over initially, did that. Already gave examples of things Mandibuzz walls in Set Details of each set. I'd rather keep Psychic types separate seeing as they offer a different type of support than, say Florges. "Physical walls" is a bit too general for a Team Options line for my liking, and either way I already summarized the physical walls that synergize with/complement Mandibuzz the best (though if you can think of any other specific walls that I didn't think of and list, I'd be happy to put them down). I mentioned Scald in Usage Tips of the PDef set with regards to the Foul Play thing. The Roost thing is a good idea, added that too. Thanks!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In C&C wouldn't it make sense to mention pokemon with offensive / defensive type advantage? Stuff like Maerodactyl, Mampharos, and the likes

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah C&C needs stuff like Mega Aero and Mega Amph that can switch in on Mandibuzz relatively easily and threaten it. Also if 84 Speed EVs is the standard for the special set in order to outspeed Rose, there's no problem with having that many EVs on the physical set is there? Unless the 40 extra Defense EVs accomplish something significant of course. Brave Bird might be worth a mention in Moves for the special set too, just for the sake of consistency.

Otherwise this looks great, QC 2/3

I actually decided to just take off that extra speed on the SpDef cause it helps you a lot against LO Hydreigon and Nidoqueen. Outspeeding a relatively uncommon set isn't really worth losing the bulk, so it's just for base 85s now. Thanks, gonna write this up this weekend!

This is written up and ready for its final check. I feel like the intro could be expanded more but I ran out of ideas D:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You should probably fix the spacing between each section since some of it is messed up. To expand the Overview a bit you could add in examples of the common Stealth Rock users Mandibuzz has a favourable matchup against at the end there. But honestly that's about the extent I could probably expand it lol, since everything that needed to be said about Mandibuzz there has pretty much been said, although perhaps you could mention how it's not only a good wall but also a decent stallbreaker due to its Speed tier and Taunt.

dod edit: good shit, added those

Last edited by a moderator:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
  • Mention slow U-turn as an added benefit, as it is able to safely absorb many hits and dish out the appropriate wallbreaker/counter to clean up a Pokemon
  • In the first sentence, I think it'd be just fine if you went into more detail and discuss the nature of its bulk, aka mention the stat distribution and mention that it can serve as both a physical and special wall.
  • I would specifically mention its Speed stat as one of the more interesting components of Mandibuzz, as it's just fast enough to break stall with game changing taunts/toxics, and just slow enough to capitalize on slow pivots.
Set:
  • You should do Knock Off / Foul Play in the specially defensive set, it's always very very useful regardless of whether it's specially defensive or defensive.
  • In defensive set, I would replace the second mention of Toxic and add U-turn there, and remove Brave Bird. Brave Bird should only be mentioned in OO.

OO / C&C:
  • I would stress in OO that U-turn is a very viable move, being one of two slow u-turners in the tier (Gligar and Mandibuzz), and give more example than just Kyurem, as it can capitalize on almost anything that tries to switch in, including extremely common counters such as Cobalion and Lucario.
3/3 after these changes are done.

actually one more thing, and I'll let you decide on this one: maybe HP should be 240 and speed should be 52 in order to outspeed defensive Rotom-H sets as well?

OK I think I got all of that. The one thing I disagree with is slashing Foul Play with Knock Off in the specially defensive set for reasons I stated in Moves, but I added a mention of Foul Play in Moves. I also left Brave Bird as a mention in the physically defensive set and left Toxic since I believe it's better than U-turn, but removed Brave Bird from the specially defensive set because I agree it doesn't make much sense there. Thanks for the speed EV suggestion, put that in there as well.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks great, GP will rip up that taunt CC though, you're using the dependant clause before the independent ;)

3/3 :)

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Oh you also still have 248 hp Evs listed in set details, and you didn't mention rotom h for the speed creeping.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nice job :)
[OVERVIEW]With its excellent typing and 110 /105 / 95 defensive stats, Mandibuzz is a sturdy wall and utility Pokemon that provides answers to many common threats to for balance and stall teams. Mandibuzz's bulk allows it to serve as either a physical or special wall; its Dark / Flying typing allows Mandibuzz it to counter the likes of Chandelure, Shaymin, and Krookodile, though it also comes with a heavily hindering weakness to Stealth Rock. Mandibuzz's useful movepool includes reliable recovery in Roost, a solid STAB move in Foul Play, pivoting ability in U-turn, and good utility in moves such as Knock Off and Taunt. It'(remove hyphen)s Speed, while low enough to generate slow momentum with a slow U-turn, is higher than that of most other defensive Pokemon, allowing Mandibuzz to not only act as not only a wall, (RC) but also a decent stallbreaker with Taunt, Knock Off, and Roost. Additionally, Mandibuzz is a reliable Defog user with a favorable matchup against many common Stealth Rock users, such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Nidoqueen, depending on its spread.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides Mandibuzz with a reliable source of recovery and temporarily removes its Flying-(remove hyphen)typing, allowing it to stall against foes such as slower variants of Nidoqueen and Mega Blastoise. Mandibuzz can use Knock Off to weaken special attackers such as Nidoqueen and Shaymin by removing their Life Orbs and also to remove Leftovers from defensive Pokemon such as Suicune and Florges. Taunt further allows Mandibuzz to wear down foes by preventing recovery of health, infliction of status, boosting, and setup of entry hazards. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards from both sides of the field. Toxic can be used to help further in wearing down defensive Pokemon after their Leftovers have has been removed, (RC) and puts offensive Pokemon such as Feraligatr on a timer. Foul Play can be used instead of Knock Off as a useful way to deal big damage to physical threats, but this compromises Mandibuzz's ability to deal with the aforementioned special attackers.

Set Details
========

52 Speed EVs let Mandibuzz outspeed uninvested Suicune, Gligar, and Cresselia, (AC) so that Mandibuzz can Taunt or Knock Off before they move, as well as defensive Rotom formes, (AC) so that Mandibuzz can Roost before they use Volt Switch. 240 HP EVs maximize Mandibuzz's overall bulk while retaining a favorable number to switch into Stealth Rocks. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, which, paired with a Careful nature, let Mandibuzz easily take on special attackers such as Chandelure, Hydreigon, and Shaymin, and even comfortably tank Florges's Moonblasts. Overcoat is Mandibuzz's most useful ability, negating Sleep Powder and Spore as well as the rare hail damage. Leftovers gives Mandibuzz passive recovery, easing switches into Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz fits best on balanced teams that appreciate hazard clearing or the wearing down of passive Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Mandibuzz can find many opportunities to switch in, (AC) due to its excellent bulk and typing. With Taunt, Mandibuzz can defeat many setup sweepers such as Calm Mind Suicune and Reuniclus one-(add hyphen)on-(add hyphen)one.

Team Options
========

Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowking, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, provide a physically defensive backbone and help to deal with the Fighting-types that give specially defensive Mandibuzz trouble. Florges also provides a sturdy Fighting resistance as well as cleric support, which will often be useful for healing a burn from one of the many Scalds Mandibuzz will take, and it also offers a check to threats like Mega Ampharos and Kyurem. Nidoqueen and Dragalge both have great synergy with Mandibuzz since because they can check Fighting-, Electric-, and Fairy-types and set Toxic Spikes to aid Mandibuzz in wearing teams down.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides Mandibuzz with reliable recovery and allows Mandibuzz to stay in against Pokemon such as Rhyperior by temporarily removing Mandibuzz's Flying typing. Foul Play does significant damage to physical attackers such as Entei and Mega Aerodactyl and deters setup from the likes of Slurpuff and Feraligatr. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from recovering their health, setting entry hazards, and inflicting status, which aids Mandibuzz in wearing its foes down. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards set by the likes of Krookodile and Mega Aggron. Toxic is an option to wear down defensive Pokemon and put sweepers on a timer, while Brave Bird can also be used for a harder hit on Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

With the given investment in Speed, Mandibuzz can outspeed uninvested Suicune, Cresselia, and Gligar to Taunt them before they set up or recover health, (AC) as well as uninvested Rotom formes to avoid a super effective Volt Switch by using Roost first. The remaining EVs with an Impish nature maximize Mandibuzz's physical bulk to easily deal with Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Doublade. Leftovers are is used as for passive recovery, reducing Mandibuzz's reliance on Roost. Overcoat is the most useful ability Mandibuzz has and allows it to ignore the effects of Sleep Powder, Spore, and hail.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Mandibuzz fits well on balance and stall teams that need hazard support and a reliable answer to many physical attackers. With its great bulk and typing, Mandibuzz can find several opportunities to switch in and do its job. It should switch into Stealth Rock setters that it has a good matchup against on the turn that they set up Stealth Rock, (AC) in order to avoid additional damage. With Thanks to (just to not repeat "With" in the beginning of a sentence) Taunt and its decent Speed, Mandibuzz can prevent the recovery of the likes of Snorlax and Umbreon. Mandibuzz should be wary of burns inflicted by Scald, since as they reduce Foul Play's damage output.

Team Options
========

Mandibuzz should be paired with special walls such as Florges, which can reliably take on the likes of Hydreigon and Kyurem. If Mandibuzz is the team's hazard clearer, (AC) it needs (add space) a reliable, long-lasting setter of Stealth Rock as a teammate to that can outlast the opposing Stealth Rock user as a teammate if Mandibuzz is the team's hazard clearer; examples are Mega Aggron and Blissey. Blissey also provides cleric support, which is valued, (AC) as Mandibuzz is heavily crippled by burn and poison. If Mandibuzz does not run Defog, it should be paired with another hazard remover such as Forretress or Empoleon. Toxic Spikes users such as Qwilfish, Nidoqueen, and Dragalge have good type synergy with Mandibuzz and, in conjunction with Taunt and Knock Off, can quickly wear out opposing teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mandibuzz has access to U-turn and can make great use of the slow momentum it brings, (AC) if it can find the room in its moveset. With it, Mandibuzz can pivot out of incoming Kyurem and Cobalion, (AC) common counters such as Kyurem and Cobalion that would otherwise get a free turn. Whirlwind can be used to phaze setup sweepers, but Taunt is more reliable at stopping the likes of CurseLax and Calm Mind Reuniclus while and also does the job of preventing Wish altogether. Brave Bird is a possibility to hit Fighting-types and Whimsicott super effectively. Rocky Helmet is an option on the physically defensive set to punish physical attacks, especially U-turn, but without Leftovers recovery, Mandibuzz is pressured to Roost more frequently.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: When Taunted, (AC) Mandibuzz can be worn down or beaten by allows many Pokemon that Mandibuzz it would normally beat, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile, to wear it down or beat it instead,. (AP) Taunt also and prevents Mandibuzz from removing hazards

**Status** Scald burns will severely hinder Mandibuzz, especially since because it will often have its Leftovers removed by Knock Off. Toxic prevents it from staying in for extended periods of time.

**Electric-, Rock-, and Ice-types** Pokemon with a type advantage on against Mandibuzz, such as Mega Ampharos, Mega Aerodactyl, and Kyurem, can normally easily come in and threaten it with their STAB moves.

**Cobalion and Lucario** Due to their typing and ability, Cobalion and Lucario use Mandibuzz as complete setup fodder.

**Wallbreakers** Depending on its EV spread, Mandibuzz can get overwhelmed by the likes of Work Up Pidgeot and Choice Band Entei.
GP 1/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

With its excellent typing and 110 / 105 / 95 (add spaces around slashes) defensive stats, Mandibuzz is a sturdy wall and utility Pokemon that provides answers to many common threats to balance and stall teams. Mandibuzz's bulk allows it to serve as either a physical or a special wall; its Dark / Flying typing allows it to counter the likes of Chandelure, Shaymin, and Krookodile, though it also comes with a heavily hindering weakness to Stealth Rock. Mandibuzz's useful movepool includes reliable recovery in Roost, a solid STAB move in Foul Play, pivoting ability in U-turn, and good utility in moves such as Knock Off and Taunt. It's Its Speed, while low enough to generate momentum with a slow U-turn, is higher than that of most other defensive Pokemon, allowing Mandibuzz to act not only as a wall but also a decent stallbreaker with Taunt, Knock Off, and Roost. Additionally, Mandibuzz is a reliable Defog user with a favorable matchup against many common Stealth Rock users, such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Nidoqueen, depending on its spread.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides Mandibuzz with a reliable source of recovery and temporarily removes its Flying typing, allowing it to stall against foes such as slower variants of Nidoqueen and Mega Blastoise. Mandibuzz can use Knock Off to weaken special attackers such as Nidoqueen and Shaymin by removing their Life Orb and also to remove Leftovers from defensive Pokemon such as Suicune and Florges. Taunt further allows Mandibuzz to wear down foes by preventing recovery of health, infliction of status, boosting, and setup of entry hazards. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards from both sides of the field. Toxic can be used to help further in wearing down defensive Pokemon after their Leftovers has been removed and puts offensive Pokemon such as Feraligatr on a timer. Foul Play can be used instead of Knock Off as a useful way to deal big damage to physical threats, but this compromises Mandibuzz's ability to deal with the aforementioned special attackers.

Set Details
========

52 Speed EVs let Mandibuzz outspeed uninvested Suicune, Gligar, and Cresselia (RC) so that Mandibuzz can use Taunt or Knock Off before they move, as well as defensive Rotom formes (RC) so that Mandibuzz can Roost before they use Volt Switch. 240 HP EVs maximize Mandibuzz's overall bulk while retaining a favorable number to switch into Stealth Rock. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, which, paired with a Careful nature, lets Mandibuzz easily take on special attackers such as Chandelure, Hydreigon, and Shaymin (RC) and even comfortably tank Florges's Moonblasts. Overcoat is Mandibuzz's most useful ability, negating Sleep Powder and Spore as well as the rare hail damage. Leftovers gives Mandibuzz passive recovery, easing switches into Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz fits best on balanced teams that appreciate entry hazard clearing or the wearing down of passive Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Mandibuzz can find many opportunities to switch in (RC) due to its excellent bulk and typing. With Taunt, Mandibuzz can defeat many setup sweepers such as Calm Mind Suicune and Reuniclus one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowking, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, provide a physically defensive backbone and help to deal with the Fighting-types that give specially defensive Mandibuzz trouble. Florges also provides a sturdy Fighting resistance as well as cleric support, which will often be useful for healing a burn from one of the many Scalds Mandibuzz will take, and it also offers a check to threats like Mega Ampharos and Kyurem. Nidoqueen and Dragalge both have great synergy with Mandibuzz because they can check Fighting-, Electric-, and Fairy-types and set Toxic Spikes to aid Mandibuzz in wearing teams down.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Mandibuzz to stay in against Pokemon such as Rhyperior by temporarily removing Mandibuzz's its Flying typing. Foul Play does significant damage to physical attackers such as Entei and Mega Aerodactyl and deters setup from the likes of Slurpuff and Feraligatr. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from recovering their health, setting entry hazards, and inflicting status, which aids Mandibuzz in wearing its foes down. Defog lets Mandibuzz clear entry hazards set by the likes of Krookodile and Mega Aggron. Toxic is an option to wear down defensive Pokemon and put sweepers on a timer, while Brave Bird can also be used for a harder hit on Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

With the given investment in Speed, Mandibuzz can outspeed uninvested Suicune, Cresselia, and Gligar to Taunt them before they set up or recover health, as well as uninvested Rotom formes to avoid a super effective Volt Switch by using Roost first. The remaining EVs with an Impish nature maximize Mandibuzz's physical bulk to easily deal with Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mega Swampert, and Doublade. Leftovers is used for passive recovery, reducing Mandibuzz's reliance on Roost. Overcoat is the most useful ability Mandibuzz has and allows it to ignore the effects of Sleep Powder, Spore, and hail.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Mandibuzz fits well on balanced and stall teams that need entry hazard support control (less ambiguous) and a reliable answer to many physical attackers. With its great bulk and typing, Mandibuzz can find several opportunities to switch in and do its job. It should switch into Stealth Rock setters that it has a good matchup against on the turn that they set up Stealth Rock, in order to avoid additional damage. Thanks to Taunt and its decent Speed, Mandibuzz can prevent the recovery of the likes of Snorlax and Umbreon. Mandibuzz should be wary of burns inflicted by Scald, as they reduce Foul Play's damage output.

Team Options
========

Mandibuzz should be paired with special walls such as Florges, which can reliably take on the likes of Hydreigon and Kyurem. If Mandibuzz is the team's entry hazard clearer, it needs a reliable, long-lasting setter of Stealth Rock that can outlast the opposing Stealth Rock user as a teammate; examples are Mega Aggron and Blissey. Blissey also provides cleric support, which is valued, as Mandibuzz is heavily crippled by burn and poison. If Mandibuzz does not run Defog, it should be paired with a hazard remover such as Forretress or Empoleon. Toxic Spikes users such as Qwilfish, Nidoqueen, and Dragalge have good type synergy with Mandibuzz and, in conjunction with Taunt and Knock Off, can quickly wear out opposing teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mandibuzz has access to U-turn and can make great use of the slow momentum it brings, if it can find the room in its moveset. With it, Mandibuzz can pivot out of incoming Kyurem, Cobalion, and other common counters that would otherwise get a free turn. Whirlwind can be used to phaze setup sweepers, but Taunt is more reliable at stopping the likes of CurseLax and Calm Mind Reuniclus and also does the job of preventing prevents Wish altogether. Brave Bird is a possibility to hit Fighting-types and Whimsicott super effectively. Rocky Helmet is an option on the physically defensive set to punish physical attacks, especially U-turn users, but without Leftovers recovery, Mandibuzz is pressured to use Roost more frequently.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: When Taunted, Mandibuzz can be worn down or beaten by many Pokemon that it would normally beat, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. Taunt also prevents Mandibuzz from removing entry hazards.

**Status**: (add colons throughout) Scald burns will severely hinder Mandibuzz, especially because it will often have its Leftovers removed by Knock Off. Toxic prevents it from staying in for extended periods of time.

**Electric-, Rock-, and Ice-types**: Pokemon with a type advantage against Mandibuzz, such as Mega Ampharos, Mega Aerodactyl, and Kyurem, can normally easily come in and threaten it with their STAB moves.

**Cobalion and Lucario**: Due to their typing and ability, Cobalion and Lucario use Mandibuzz as complete setup fodder.

**Wallbreakers**: Depending on its EV spread, Mandibuzz can get overwhelmed by the likes of Work Up Pidgeot and Choice Band Entei.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)