Pokémon Mandibuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Rotom-W. Mold Breaker STAB EQ and a higher speed tier = not covered by warranty.
Hydro Pump and Will o Wisp both destroy Excadrill on the switch, but its presence also makes it less likely to use Volt Switch.

Still, 1 on 1, Excadrill loves Rotoms.

Taking in the last 3 posts it seems like the hazard clearer almost has to be Excadrill then. The built in Rotom-A check is tremendous, iron head is awesome against fairies, it's got the electric immunity, and mandibuzz cover's Excadrill's ground weakness and can usually absorb any fighting move and many fire moves. Thanks!

Yep, if you aren't using Mandibuzz herself to clean hazards, Excadrill is your best bet as a spinner. He can also act as check against Gengar (if you are using Physical Defensive Mandibuzz with investment and/or Assault Vest. Excadrill has obviously great type synergy with Mandibuzz, what with Rock / Electric resistance / immunity. Excadrill is just great atm so yeah, it seems solid.
The one problem I have is the lack of some resists (especially Fighting one). Some mons, like Lucario or Garchomp, are just pain in the ass for them, so you'll need something like Landorus-T (another Ice / Water weakness, slow), Gliscor (same), Gourgheist (which I find a bit lacking) or something else obviously (I'll have to try the mummy). To keep it clear, I find it limits a bit my flexibility when it comes to team-building.
But that doesn't mean that those two are just great and they are far from being set-up fodders (Excadrill has, well, a gargantuan attack while no one wants to set-up on a mon with Whirlwind AND Foul Play AND Taunt AND Knock off AND U-Turn. Come on).

Yep, if you aren't using Mandibuzz herself to clean hazards, Excadrill is your best bet as a spinner. He can also act as check against Gengar (if you are using Physical Defensive Mandibuzz with investment and/or Assault Vest.
I really don't think Assault Vest is the best idea for a mon that already has good enough defenses and really enjoys Roost and Leftovers.

Ghost types work very well with Mandibuzz to not only taking care of the Fighting types she takes neutrally (although she does usually does handle them pretty well) but lure in Ghost and Dark attacks that Mandabuzz loves. Trevenant especially is helpful not only to take care of Mandibuzz's Electric weakness, but to force even more switches through Leech Seed and/or Curse; granted, both are weak to Ice, but Trevenant's bulk and judicious use of Harvest Sitrus Berry means non-STAB Ice Beams aren't nearly as threatening as they look.

As some one who has used mandibuzz for a while, do not let it get burned. remember that status affects foul play damage and you will become fairly useless against sweepers who swords dance on you and laugh at your pitiful damage.

besides that it doesn't have many counters besides +2 mega lucario. Close combat OHKO's it with +2. (and obviously, special attackers but you have a core right?)

I've been using a physically defensive Mandibuzz to great success. It has tanked things like a +2 Mega Scizor Bullet Punch, and has killed it with Foul Play. Mandibuzz is extremely bulky!

Here's the set I'm using:
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 4 Atk / 40 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog

I think Mega Venusaur/Mandibuzz work as a pretty good defense core. Mega Venusaur has spectacular defensive stats and doesn't care about ice/fire, blocks poison from things like Gliscor that are faster than Mandibuzz, resist electric, and most importantly walls fairies that aren't Mega Gardevoir (most commonly Azumarill). Mandibuzz covers Venusaur's psychic weakness (though it probably needs to be specially defensive to take on some special attackers). There's probably a couple pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan or Lum berry Sword Dance Garchomp/some of the Mega's that would scare both of them, but you do have 4 other pokemon you can use.

Last edited:
I think Mega Venusaur/Mandibuzz work as a pretty good defense core. Mega Venusaur has spectacular defensive stats and doesn't care about ice/fire, blocks poison from things like Gliscor that are faster than Mandibuzz, resist electric, and most importantly walls fairies that aren't Mega Gardevoir (most commonly Azumarill). Mandibuzz covers Venusaur's psychic weakness (though it probably needs to be specially defensive to take on some special attackers). There's probably a couple pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan or Sword Dance Garchomp/some of the Mega's that would scare both of them, but you do have 4 other pokemon you can use.
Apparently rocky helmet ferrothorn is popular now for stuff like mega kanga. Ferrothorn takes the rock/electric/fairy and honestly couldn't care for ice beam, btw. Mega Venusaur takes the fighting. You are doubling up on the grass, though.

Apparently rocky helmet ferrothorn is popular now for stuff like mega kanga. Ferrothorn takes the rock/electric/fairy and honestly couldn't care for ice beam, btw. Mega Venusaur takes the fighting. You are doubling up on the grass, though.
Mega Venasuar isnt weak to fire and ice, and Ferrothorn covers bug and flying. It's actually a pretty solid grass tag team.

Mandibuzz Leftovers
Overcoat
Impish, 252 HP 252 Def 4 SDef
Moveset:
Roost
Foul Play
Whirlwind
Defog

Has been my MVP on every match of Showdown I've played so far. But is it a good idea to put on Knock Off instead of Defog? Defog rarely comes in handy.

Mandibuzz Leftovers
Overcoat
Impish, 252 HP 252 Def 4 SDef
Moveset:
Roost
Foul Play
Whirlwind
Defog

Has been my MVP on every match of Showdown I've played so far. But is it a good idea to put on Knock Off instead of Defog? Defog rarely comes in handy.
It depends on your needs. If you have someone other than Mandi that's weak to rocks, then you keep the Defog. My Mandi keeps rocks off the field and lets my Talonflame sweep easier. Otherwise, get Knock Off. Another suggestion from me is to give some speed investment. I always lol so hard when I outspeed the opponent's Mandi with my own Mandi and Taunt it.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been using a physically defensive Mandibuzz to great success. It has tanked things like a +2 Mega Scizor Bullet Punch, and has killed it with Foul Play. Mandibuzz is extremely bulky!

Here's the set I'm using:
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 4 Atk / 40 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog
Using max HP is preferred, because you have the same physical bulk and a bit more special bulk. You should put a few Spe EVs more to outspeed min Speed Rotom-W and remove the Atk EVs.

Using max HP is preferred, because you have the same physical bulk and a bit more special bulk. You should put a few Spe EVs more to outspeed min Speed Rotom-W and remove the Atk EVs.
Yeah, Showdown was being a derp and put 4 in attack. I'll put those in speed. Should I take some out from Defense and put them in HP?

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 44 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog

If you're using any kind of defensive set, (with the exception of sub numbers and other random things) you always want to max HP before doing anything else, since it gives you more bulk overall instead of more bulk on one side. Min speed rotom-w has 208 speed, you probably want to beat that too. Max HP, get enough speed to hit 209, and dump the rest into whichever defensive stat you want.

If you're using any kind of defensive set, (with the exception of sub numbers and other random things) you always want to max HP before doing anything else, since it gives you more bulk overall instead of more bulk on one side. Min speed rotom-w has 208 speed, you probably want to beat that too. Max HP, get enough speed to hit 209, and dump the rest into whichever defensive stat you want.
Thanks for your help. Does this look good?

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 202 Def / 252 HP / 56 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Thanks for your help. Does this look good?

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 202 Def / 252 HP / 56 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog
Well first of all, you know you could just take a look at my analysis and find your answer there!

As for the EVs, 202 Def isn't divisible by 4 so that's wasting points. Mandibuzz also wants to run 248 HP EVs, because with 252 EVs your HP is divisible by both 8 and 4, which increases Burn, Poison, and most importantly, SR damage. 52 Speed is all you need to beat defensive Rotom, so that's why I list 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe. Then with those moves you'll have my Anti-hazards set.

Well first of all, you know you could just take a look at my analysis and find your answer there!

As for the EVs, 202 Def isn't divisible by 4 so that's wasting points. Mandibuzz also wants to run 248 HP EVs, because with 252 EVs your HP is divisible by both 8 and 4, which increases Burn, Poison, and most importantly, SR damage. 52 Speed is all you need to beat defensive Rotom, so that's why I list 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe. Then with those moves you'll have my Anti-hazards set.
Thanks a lot for your help. I realized I goofed out on the EV's. I'll look forward to trying these EV's after exams.

This is probably a really large gimmick but...........NASTY PLOT

Overcoat
Life orb/ Expert belt
Max HP,MAX SPATK, 4Sdef
Nasty Plot
Hurricane
Dark Pulse
Heat Wave(After pokebank)/ HP ice/HP fire(Pre pokebank)

Not the biggest movepool, but it works. Also use a modest nature

I was thinking that mandi had the bulk to set up a few Nasty plots and go from there. Ambipom and Persian(lol) made it work, why not mandi?

I am running this set and it's working wonders for me !

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Bold
Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 4 ATK

Swagger
Foul Play
Knock Off
Roost

I am running this set and it's working wonders for me !

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Bold
Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 4 ATK

Swagger
Foul Play
Knock Off
Roost
I'd make the EVs 252 HP, 204 Defense and 52 Speed so that you can outspeed Rotom. And I'd give it an Impish nature. Other than that, it's good.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, if you want a speedy mandi. I personally run 248 HP / 252+ Def/ 8 SpD. I find outspeeding Rotom redundant if you're not running anything that can actually threaten it; aka Toxic. Unless you want to Roost on the Volt Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)