Mangoose: The Massacre

Hello RU players, I'm back from the dead with a new team for the new ORAS generation. What got me into creating this team is to show an example of a physical Normal-type that can perform way better than the infamous Ambipom, and so I searched for some ideas and eventually decided to create an offensive team aimed to make the most of the underrated Zangoose. So far, this team has been scoring me well in the matches I've played, but I'd like to see if there is anything that can make my team even better than it is right now.

Team Preview

The Roles

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Only cowards use Fake Out + Last Resort. Real men use Toxic Orb Facade and Quick Attack. Anyways, Zangoose serves as the main focus of this team. This thing is such a powerful wallbreaker that unless your name is Mega Steeliix, Rhyperior, Cresselia, Registeel, Tangrowth, Cobalion, Doublade, or Cofagrigus, you aren't taking a Toxic Boost Facade. Knock Off is a great move that Zangoose has access to, so Cresselia, Doublade and Cofagrigus will have to think twice before switching into Zangoose. Close Combat rounds off the coverage and smacks Steels and Rhyperior. Quick Attack also lets Zangoose have a secondary role as a revenge killer and can late-game clean once the opponent is significantly weakened. I run a Jolly nature because speed tying with Meloetta can be crucial.

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Grass Knot

Of course, Zangoose's base 90 Speed means that it gets outsped by musketeers, and it doesn't like a Mach Punch from Hitmonlee either. This is where Delphox comes into play to revenge kill these threats. In addition, it also removes the bulky Steels so that Zangoose doesn't have to drop its defenses with Close Combat and can just spam Facade all it wants. The reason why I chose Delphox was a Mach Punch resistance so that Hitmonlee can't just wipe out my team with little effort. Grass Knot is such a good move, as Zangoose appreciates Rhyperior and Alomomola removed. HP Water may seem weird, but hitting Houndoom switch-ins is quite nice.

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Typical suicide lead. Crustle provides all of the hazard support that Zangoose absolutely loves, turning 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. With a Custap Berry, I can make sure that Crustle gets at least 1 hazard up. Earthquake is here mainly to strike any Qwilfish that think they can Taunt Crustle. Once Crustle has set up all of its hazards, it can be sacked later on to ensure a safe switch-in of its teammates.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Seeing as Zangoose wears itself down with toxic poison, hazards will only reduce its lifespan by a chunk. This is where Hitmonlee comes in to spin them away. This thing carries a nice Sucker Punch resistance as well, allowing it to revenge kill Houndoom. Knock Off is there because it what makes Hitmonlee such an effective spinner in RU, so ghosts that expect a spin or a Fighting STAB will feel the pain. Hitmonchan doesn't even get Knock Off, take that, overused boxer!

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

None of my team members are really that bulky, so trying to switch them into attacks is very risky. Eelektross is added to the team to reduce the risks of switching in, with its slow Volt Switch providing the team with a way to switch in without taking a dent. Eelektross serves as the team's pivot this way, and it also provides the team with a way of dealing with Fletchinder and Electric-types. Flamethrower and Giga Drain are coverage to nail any Facade resists while Knock Off just makes it even more of a burden for ghosts.

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

Just in case things go out wrong, Durant acts as a secondary win condition. This slot used to belong to Feraligatr before it got banned. This thing hits like a truck even unboosted, allowing it to pluck off threats if needed. Once this thing uses Hone Claws, if your checks have been significantly weakened, good luck trying to take out this thing. Not even Cobalion is safe from this thing because Superpower can just leave a mark on it.

Some Options I'm considering:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Unless your Fighting-type has Knock Off or SE STAB, it's not breaking this thing. Tyrantrum is forced to run EQ, and Doublade can also deter a Rapid Spin.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, this looks like a pretty solid team at first glance. However, i do have some suggestions on how you could improve it!

Looking at this team, there were three things in particular that i noticed

1) You lack a solid switch in to Fighting-type moves, If a decently strong Fighting-type such as Hitmonlee, Emboar, Medicham, Cobalion, Virizion, or Sawk is able to get into the game, they can do quite a bit of damage to your entire team. Delphox, your only resistance to Fighting-type moves, is weak to Stealth Rock and quite frail on the physical side, making it unfit to take repeated assaults over the course of the game (in Hitmonlee's case, it actually OHKOs Delphox after SR with High Jump Kick lol). Choice Scarf Medicham and Emboar are especially problematic, as they outspeed your entire team outside of Delphox, have enough power to ensure that Delphox can only switch in on them once at most whether Stealth Rock is up or not (Medicham actually survives scarf Delphox's Fire Blast after Stealth Rock too, and at least has a chance to survive it after SR+a layer of Spikes, although it can be picked off by priority from there) and can easily run through the rest of your team prediction free. Choice Scarf Hitmonlee can do the same thing as these two to a lesser extent, but its neutrality to Mach Punch and low physical bulk make it easier to take out via priority.

2) You also lack a solid switch in to Tyrantrum, who can simply pick up a free KO whenever it's able to get into the game (and it's not like it lacks opportunities to do so, it can get in on both Choice Locked Delphox and Eelektross quite easily at the very least.) The only resistance you have to Head Smash is Hitmonlee, who is of course *way* too frail to take even a single one safely. Dragon Dance/Rock Polish varients can even threaten to sweep you if one of Hitmonlee or Delphox is down, as it takes both Hitmonlee's Mach Punch and Scarf Delphox's Grass Knot to actually take out T-rex from full HP.

3) You're using a Spikestacking offense team without a spinblocker. This can be quite annoying imo, especially considering you seem to rely on hazards quite a bit and that Crustle often won't last long enough to reset removed entry hazards in most games. This can of course be fended off with offensive presence given how hard your team hits, but all of Kabutops, Hitmonlee, and Hitmontop can *still* find a few opportunities to pull off a Rapid Spin against your team.

Because of this, i'd suggest that you give Swords Dance Doublade a try over Durant

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Doublade still serves the same role that Durant does as a secondary win condition, while doing a pretty good job of patching up a few of your team's problems as well. Doublade's Steel/Ghost typing and incredible physical bulk make it an exceptionally good answer to both Tyrantrum and *most* of the Fighting-types that would give your team trouble, patching your team up against these threats quite effectively. Additionally, Doublade is capable of effectively spinblocking thanks to these two same attributes, making it significantly easier to keep your hazards on the opposing side of the field. Scarf Emboar can still be annoying but at the very least adding Swords Dance Doublade gives you another priority user to help chip away at it, while also heavily encouraging it to wear itself out with Flare Blitz and punishing it for doing anything except that. Overall, i feel like Doublade would fit your team quite well, and i feel like at least giving it a try is definitely worth a shot.

Hope i helped!

EDIT: You might also want to consider using Psychic>Psyshock on Delphox in my opinion, it hits harder in general and allows Delphox to OHKO defensive Qwilfish (believe it or not, Psyshock can't do this lol) and do severe damage to Tyrantrum without being locked into Grass Knot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)