LC Mantyke

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Hilomilo / Nineage / Corporal Levi
GP: Rakan / Eyan

[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as an excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves—Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, though Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes get KOed by coverage moves on a Pokemon it can usually set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Mantyke struggles to switch in repeatedly. Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can rarely switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and Hydro Pump is weak without the boost from rain. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]
name: Eye of the Storm (Rain Dance)
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb / Eviolite
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
ivs: 9 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move, and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash, and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb recoil. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many damage benchmarks such as a guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be used in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to optimize Mantyke's defenses with Eviolite and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more setup opportunities, as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the Speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a setup opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and unboosted Snivy, Fighting-types like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or setup opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for many of its KOs.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke, as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable entry hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOs, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side. Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's high Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOs. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost both Mantyke and its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean, and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke, and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain, and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear being 2HKOed by Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize Sturdy to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon such as Chinchou and Mareanie can take most moves that Mantyke can throw at them and stop its sweep completely. Though they have to be careful of taking a Hidden Power, some Water-types like Mareanie and Slowpoke can significantly wear Mantyke down through recoil and stall out its rain by spamming their recovery move, as they are only barely 2HKOed by Hidden Power.

**Powerful Priority**: While Mantyke resists Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, other forms of priority such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch and Doduo's Quick Attack can significantly threaten it and potentially stop its sweep.

**Very Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Munchlax and Ferroseed can take any one hit Mantyke hits them with even in rain and threaten a KO with minimal prior damage or cripple Mantyke with a status move like Thunder Wave.

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* I don't think you need to mention its lack of coverage outside of its STAB attacks, since their coverage is fantastic. If you really feel like this is necessary, just say that it leaves Mantyke reliant on rather weak moves in Hidden Power Grass or Ground to hit Chinchou, though I think removing it is best.
* Thunder Punch on Timburr isn't very relevant, so change it to a more realistic example, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Thunder Punch from Magby.
* Talk about Mantyke's physical frailty here and say that it prevents it from reliably setting up at times.
* I think it's also important to say here that Mantyke is rather reliant on rain to be up, as it will be slow and lack power behind its Water-type STAB attacks without its favorite weather up.

Set
Looks good

Moves
* Don't mention Dragon-types in your Air Slash line, none are relevant enough to warrant mentions and dragons aren't usually thought of as targets of when you're using Air Slash anyway.
* I'm not really convinced that Helioptile deserves a mention when you talk about things hit by Hidden Power Ground. In using the move, one won't be using it for the purpose of hitting Helioptile, rather Chinchou or Mareanie. I think because of this that your Helio mention shouldn't be there, it just doesn't feel at all relevant enough to me.
* I think Surf should be added here. Say that its better accuracy and decent power makes it a more reliable option over Hydro Pump, but that Mantyke needs as much power behind its attacks as possible, which means the accuracy drop is usually worth it.

Set Details
* Your line regarding the possibility of a Timid nature is a little vague. Does Mantyke outpace Vullaby and Scraggy outside of rain or in rain when both are boosted? Elaborate a little.

Usage Tips
* In your Sucker Punch line, I'd also add that Mantyke should be wary of Zigzagoon as well when attempting a sweep, since after some prior damage it'll die to Extreme Speed.

Team Options
Looks great!

Other Options
* This looks great as well, I'd just remove Surf mentions since as said before, I think it's decent enough to justify a mention in moves.

Checks and Counters
* I think that in your Electric-types section, you should mention that Magnemite's Sturdy ability allows it to tank a hit unless chip damage has been done, and in return OHKO Mantyke with super effective STAB attacks.
* I feel like a little more can be added here, as there are a few other examples of threats that impede Mantyke's sweep. A section on especially bulky Pokemon should probably be added, with Slowpoke, Munchlax, and Ferroseed as examples (all can tank at least one hit and threaten to KO or status Mantyke in return). I also think Sturdy users deserve a section, as all relevant Pokemon that use the ability have the tools to tank a hit and use one of their attacks to likely KO Mantyke in return.

Implement these changes, and give yourself 1/3.
Super solid work! Now go check Treecko ;)

Xayah

San Bwanna
Overview
* I don't think you need to mention its lack of coverage outside of its STAB attacks, since their coverage is fantastic. If you really feel like this is necessary, just say that it leaves Mantyke reliant on rather weak moves in Hidden Power Grass or Ground to hit Chinchou, though I think removing it is best.
* Thunder Punch on Timburr isn't very relevant, so change it to a more realistic example, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Thunder Punch from Magby.
* Talk about Mantyke's physical frailty here and say that it prevents it from reliably setting up at times.
* I think it's also important to say here that Mantyke is rather reliant on rain to be up, as it will be slow and lack power behind its Water-type STAB attacks without its favorite weather up.

Set
Looks good

Moves
* Don't mention Dragon-types in your Air Slash line, none are relevant enough to warrant mentions and dragons aren't usually thought of as targets of when you're using Air Slash anyway.
* I'm not really convinced that Helioptile deserves a mention when you talk about things hit by Hidden Power Ground. In using the move, one won't be using it for the purpose of hitting Helioptile, rather Chinchou or Mareanie. I think because of this that your Helio mention shouldn't be there, it just doesn't feel at all relevant enough to me.
* I think Surf should be added here. Say that its better accuracy and decent power makes it a more reliable option over Hydro Pump, but that Mantyke needs as much power behind its attacks as possible, which means the accuracy drop is usually worth it.

Set Details
* Your line regarding the possibility of a Timid nature is a little vague. Does Mantyke outpace Vullaby and Scraggy outside of rain or in rain when both are boosted? Elaborate a little.

Usage Tips
* In your Sucker Punch line, I'd also add that Mantyke should be wary of Zigzagoon as well when attempting a sweep, since after some prior damage it'll die to Extreme Speed.

Team Options
Looks great!

Other Options
* This looks great as well, I'd just remove Surf mentions since as said before, I think it's decent enough to justify a mention in moves.

Checks and Counters
* I think that in your Electric-types section, you should mention that Magnemite's Sturdy ability allows it to tank a hit unless chip damage has been done, and in return OHKO Mantyke with super effective STAB attacks.
* I feel like a little more can be added here, as there are a few other examples of threats that impede Mantyke's sweep. A section on especially bulky Pokemon should probably be added, with Slowpoke, Munchlax, and Ferroseed as examples (all can tank at least one hit and threaten to KO or status Mantyke in return). I also think Sturdy users deserve a section, as all relevant Pokemon that use the ability have the tools to tank a hit and use one of their attacks to likely KO Mantyke in return.

Implement these changes, and give yourself 1/3.
Super solid work! Now go check Treecko ;)
Thanks for the check, implemented.

Are you sure you want me to check Sceptile?

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET] This is objectively the worst set name I've ever seen

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Specify that the rolls you give are with LO (I assume they are)
Set Details
========
  • Move IVs to the front of this paragraph for visibility
Usage Tips
========
  • Zigzagoon is a pretty bad example of a physical priority user since it isnt setting up against tyke and is piss weak without setting up (it only has a chance to 2HKO)
  • Talk about not overestimating Mantykes power, and using Knock Off and getting up hazards if possible before attempting to sweep
Team Options
========
  • good
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Id mention Damp Rock to prolong rain turns here
Checks and Counters
===================

I don't like Sturdy users here since they kinda check all sweepers by this logic. If you feel mantyke is especially vulnerable to them over another cleaner, you should be explaining why in this point, otherwise remove this.

Good job as usual, not much to add
2/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
[SET] This is objectively the worst set name I've ever seen

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Specify that the rolls you give are with LO (I assume they are)
Set Details
========
  • Move IVs to the front of this paragraph for visibility
Usage Tips
========
  • Zigzagoon is a pretty bad example of a physical priority user since it isnt setting up against tyke and is piss weak without setting up (it only has a chance to 2HKO)
  • Talk about not overestimating Mantykes power, and using Knock Off and getting up hazards if possible before attempting to sweep
Team Options
========
  • good
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Id mention Damp Rock to prolong rain turns here
Checks and Counters
===================

I don't like Sturdy users here since they kinda check all sweepers by this logic. If you feel mantyke is especially vulnerable to them over another cleaner, you should be explaining why in this point, otherwise remove this.

Good job as usual, not much to add
2/3
Implemented, will write up later. Also changed the set name slightly

Last edited:
amcheck
Overview
-Be sure, if mentioning Snivy, be sure to mention its an UNBOOSTED Snivy
+2 240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Mantyke: 22-27 (100 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27)
-I'd personally use Shellder as an example of an offensive Water-type over Staryu, as it can set up as well
-Mention it only has 4 turns to sweep, as one must be used to set Rain Dance up

Set
fine

Moves
-Buddy, Omanyte isn't a Grass-type oo
-Again, Omanyte resists Air Slash (Why can't you figure out Omanyte's type?)
-"However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred." This is weird as Hydro Pump can hit Electric-types not named Chinchou, and Mareanie is hit neutrally by Air Slash, just like Clamperl and Slowpoke. Maybe just say that since Electric types hit Mantyke quite hard, it is preferred to beat them, or something along those lines.

Set Details
amazing :)

Usage Tips
-"Lacking Thunder Punch" You should definitely mention Thunder Punch is incredibly rare.
-Gastly commonly carries Thunderbolt. Mention this and replace Timburr with Gastly in the next line, as Tbolt Gastly is much more common that Thunder Punch Timburr
-It may be better to mention only Sucker Punch users instead of physical priority in general, as in the Overview you mentioned Mantyke being able to absorb priority.

Team Options
-Add more examples of Chinchou checks and Fire-types.
-I think you should mention Sandshrew with Drilbur and Kabuto, as not only does it gives you the fabled "3 examples" and Sandshrew is quite cute!
-Just a suggestion, but you could add Corphish to list of Knock Off users, as it gives you 3 examples and lets you easily link sentences.

Other Options
-Add Surf to Scald line as it has more power than Scald without the burn chance, but it has less power than Hydro Pump with 100% accuracy.

Checks and Counters
-Mention Helioptile, however uncommon, can still stop Mantyke in its tracks if not running HP Ground.
-Specify "Very Bulky Pokemon" as "Very Specially Bulky Pokemon" as Munch isn't exceptional on the physically defensive side, and Mantyke doesn't run physical moves anyway.

Xayah

San Bwanna
amcheck
Overview
-Be sure, if mentioning Snivy, be sure to mention its an UNBOOSTED Snivy
+2 240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Mantyke: 22-27 (100 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27)
-I'd personally use Shellder as an example of an offensive Water-type over Staryu, as it can set up as well
-Mention it only has 4 turns to sweep, as one must be used to set Rain Dance up

Set
fine

Moves
-Buddy, Omanyte isn't a Grass-type oo
-Again, Omanyte resists Air Slash (Why can't you figure out Omanyte's type?)
-"However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred." This is weird as Hydro Pump can hit Electric-types not named Chinchou, and Mareanie is hit neutrally by Air Slash, just like Clamperl and Slowpoke. Maybe just say that since Electric types hit Mantyke quite hard, it is preferred to beat them, or something along those lines.

Set Details
amazing :)

Usage Tips
-"Lacking Thunder Punch" You should definitely mention Thunder Punch is incredibly rare.
-Gastly commonly carries Thunderbolt. Mention this and replace Timburr with Gastly in the next line, as Tbolt Gastly is much more common that Thunder Punch Timburr
-It may be better to mention only Sucker Punch users instead of physical priority in general, as in the Overview you mentioned Mantyke being able to absorb priority.

Team Options
-Add more examples of Chinchou checks and Fire-types.
-I think you should mention Sandshrew with Drilbur and Kabuto, as not only does it gives you the fabled "3 examples" and Sandshrew is quite cute!
-Just a suggestion, but you could add Corphish to list of Knock Off users, as it gives you 3 examples and lets you easily link sentences.

Other Options
-Add Surf to Scald line as it has more power than Scald without the burn chance, but it has less power than Hydro Pump with 100% accuracy.

Checks and Counters
-Mention Helioptile, however uncommon, can still stop Mantyke in its tracks if not running HP Ground.
-Specify "Very Bulky Pokemon" as "Very Specially Bulky Pokemon" as Munch isn't exceptional on the physically defensive side, and Mantyke doesn't run physical moves anyway.
Nice check, implemented most of it.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Moves:
"The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here 2HKO it."
Maybe reword this to "KO it after Air Slash", or add "as long as Chinchou's Berry Juice isn't activated"

Set Details:
Specify Adamant Scraggy.
Mention Berry Juice where you talk about Eviolite since it basically does the same thing by letting Mantyke better take advantage of its defensive typing, being weaker to Knock Off but caring less about Stealth Rock relative to Eviolite. Emphasize that Mantyke is extremely weak for an offensive Pokemon if not holding Life Orb. It doesn't even OHKO Tauntfoo with Air Slash

Usage Tips:
Mantyke shouldn't set up on Slowpoke as Slowpoke frequently runs Thunder Wave.

Other Options:
Mention that Hidden Power Fire lures Ferroseed but does pitiful damage in rain.

Checks and Counters:
For bulky Water-types, mention that the likes of Slowpoke and Mareanie can wear Mantyke down through Life Orb recoil by spamming recovery moves, as Hidden Power only barely 2HKOes them.

Very well done! QC 3/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
Moves:
"The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here 2HKO it."
Maybe reword this to "KO it after Air Slash", or add "as long as Chinchou's Berry Juice isn't activated"

Set Details:
Specify Adamant Scraggy.
Mention Berry Juice where you talk about Eviolite since it basically does the same thing by letting Mantyke better take advantage of its defensive typing, being weaker to Knock Off but caring less about Stealth Rock relative to Eviolite. Emphasize that Mantyke is extremely weak for an offensive Pokemon if not holding Life Orb. It doesn't even OHKO Tauntfoo with Air Slash

Usage Tips:
Mantyke shouldn't set up on Slowpoke as Slowpoke frequently runs Thunder Wave.

Other Options:
Mention that Hidden Power Fire lures Ferroseed but does pitiful damage in rain.

Checks and Counters:
For bulky Water-types, mention that the likes of Slowpoke and Mareanie can wear Mantyke down through Life Orb recoil by spamming recovery moves, as Hidden Power only barely 2HKOes them.

Very well done! QC 3/3
Thanks for the check, implemented. Moving to TDP's goons.

[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as an excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves, Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile, making it very difficult to switch into if set up. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, that's where Mantyke's positives end. Though Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a quite low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes go down to get KOed by (didn't get the meaning across well) unexpected coverage moves on a Pokemon it wants to set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock also means that Mantyke struggles to switch in without being significantly weakened. Mantyke's Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can almost never switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if its rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and even its Hydro Pump is pretty weak when unboosted. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types, (RC) like such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing Mantyke it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. However, the chance to miss can make it inconsistent. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus, both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb, super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder, which are 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost, are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin, super effectively, nearly always OHKOing it. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as other Electric-types like Magnemite, (RC) meaning so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass also hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the stronger Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

Only 9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many benchmarks for its damage, such as the guaranteed OHKO onto defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock and as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash into followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be ran to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point. Eviolite can be run in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs, such as the ones mentioned above. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up opportunities as it can allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its physical bulk will still be pitiful meaning it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the speed boost from rain and potentially clean in the late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up opportunity in order to clean once its checks, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Snivy or Gastly lacking Thunderbolt, Fighting-types like Mienfoo or Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage on your opponent's Pokemon like, (AC) especially Gastly, Ponyta, or and Staryu, as they it (Meaning the coverage) can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check or switch into (that's essentially the same thing) Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful. (RP) As such, so it is important that the Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed by Knock Off and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, (RC) as since Mantyke relies on them for a lot of its KOes.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergise well with Mantyke as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up. (RP), (AC) and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee can provide this. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, (RC) as since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both sides of hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side. (RP), (AC) and Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like the Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aformentioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's incredible Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb and bulk from Eviolite means that makes it's very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would misses out on many important KOes. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear being 2HKOed by Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize its Sturdy ability to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon such as the aformentioned Chinchou as well as Mareanie can take most moves that Mantyke can throws at them and stop its sweep completely. Though they have to be careful of taking a Hidden Power, some Water-types like Mareanie and Slowpoke can significantly wear Mantyke down through recoil and stall out its rain by spamming their recovery move, as they are only barely 2HKOed by Hidden Power.

**Powerful Priority**: While Mantyke resists Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, other forms of priority such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch and Doduo's Quick Attack can significantly threaten it and potentially stop its sweep.

**Very Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Munchlax and Ferroseed can take any one hit Mantyke hits them with even in rain and threaten a KO with minimal prior damage or cripple Mantyke with a status move like Thunder Wave.

Xayah

San Bwanna
[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as an excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves, Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile, making it very difficult to switch into if set up. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, that's where Mantyke's positives end. Though Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a quite low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes go down to get KOed by (didn't get the meaning across well) unexpected coverage moves on a Pokemon it wants to set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock also means that Mantyke struggles to switch in without being significantly weakened. Mantyke's Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can almost never switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if its rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and even its Hydro Pump is pretty weak when unboosted. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types, (RC) like such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing Mantyke it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. However, the chance to miss can make it inconsistent. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus, both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb, super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder, which are 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost, are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin, super effectively, nearly always OHKOing it. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as other Electric-types like Magnemite, (RC) meaning so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass also hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the stronger Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

Only 9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many benchmarks for its damage, such as the guaranteed OHKO onto defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock and as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash into followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be ran to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point. Eviolite can be run in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs, such as the ones mentioned above. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up opportunities as it can allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its physical bulk will still be pitiful meaning it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the speed boost from rain and potentially clean in the late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up opportunity in order to clean once its checks, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Snivy or Gastly lacking Thunderbolt, Fighting-types like Mienfoo or Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage on your opponent's Pokemon like, (AC) especially Gastly, Ponyta, or and Staryu, as they it (Meaning the coverage) can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check or switch into (that's essentially the same thing) Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful. (RP) As such, so it is important that the Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed by Knock Off and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, (RC) as since Mantyke relies on them for a lot of its KOes.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergise well with Mantyke as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up. (RP), (AC) and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee can provide this. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, (RC) as since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both sides of hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side. (RP), (AC) and Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like the Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aformentioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's incredible Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb and bulk from Eviolite means that makes it's very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would misses out on many important KOes. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear being 2HKOed by Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize its Sturdy ability to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon such as the aformentioned Chinchou as well as Mareanie can take most moves that Mantyke can throws at them and stop its sweep completely. Though they have to be careful of taking a Hidden Power, some Water-types like Mareanie and Slowpoke can significantly wear Mantyke down through recoil and stall out its rain by spamming their recovery move, as they are only barely 2HKOed by Hidden Power.

Thanks, implemented most of this. Tagging Rakan cause he said he'd check.

I tried to use a GP tool for the first time and was stupid since I attempted it at 2:30 am, and I refuse to manually edit the changes in again so here's an importable. You can input the two different versions here if you're unsure about using an importable.

[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as an excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves—Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, though Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a quite low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes get KOed by coverage moves on a Pokemon it can usually set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Mantyke struggles to switch in repeatedly. Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can rarely switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and Hydro Pump is weak without the boost from rain. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as other Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many benchmarks for its damage such as the guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be run in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up opportunities as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed, have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and Snivy, Fighting-types like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed by Knock Off and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for a lot of its KOes.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side, and Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's incredible Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOes. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear being 2HKOed by Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize Sturdy to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon such as Chinchou and Mareanie can take most moves that Mantyke can throw at them and stop its sweep completely. Though they have to be careful of taking a Hidden Power, some Water-types like Mareanie and Slowpoke can significantly wear Mantyke down through recoil and stall out its rain by spamming their recovery move, as they are only barely 2HKOed by Hidden Power.

GP 1/2

amcheck
[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as and excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves—Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, tThough Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a quite low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes get KOed by coverage moves on a Pokemon it can usually set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Mantyke struggles to switch in repeatedly. Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can rarely switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and Hydro Pump is weak without the boost from rain. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash damage. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as other Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb recoil. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many damage benchmarks for its damage such as thea guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Speed Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be runused in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up opportunities as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed, have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers, like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and unboosted Snivy,; Fighting-types, like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo,; Fire-types, like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge,; or Water-types, like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitifulow Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites have been removed from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed by Knock Off and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for a lotmany of its KOes.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side, and. Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's incrediblehigh Special Defense stat and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOes. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear beingis threatened by a 2HKOed by from Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize Sturdy to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

This is my first time trying this, not sure if I was right about the list of checks in usage tips. You used "in addition" three times to start a sentence in the opening paragraph. I removed some adjectives and adverbs like "incredible" because I didn't think they added anything. Let me know if you have any feedback and/or questions.

I was going to include a copy/paste here but apparently I'm not supposed to do that. My bad.

Xayah

San Bwanna
amcheck
[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as and excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves—Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, tThough Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a quite low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes get KOed by coverage moves on a Pokemon it can usually set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Mantyke struggles to switch in repeatedly. Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can rarely switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and Hydro Pump is weak without the boost from rain. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash damage. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as other Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb recoil. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many damage benchmarks for its damage such as thea guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Speed Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be runused in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up opportunities as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed, have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers, like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and unboosted Snivy,; Fighting-types, like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo,; Fire-types, like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge,; or Water-types, like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitifulow Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites have been removed from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed by Knock Off and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for a lotmany of its KOes.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side, and. Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's incrediblehigh Special Defense stat and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOes. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou and Magnemite can significantly threaten Mantyke with their 4x super effective STAB moves while resisting Air Slash. While most Electric-types have to fear a powerful Hydro Pump in the rain, Chinchou resists even that and can easily force out Mantyke. It does have to fear beingis threatened by a 2HKOed by from Hidden Power, however. Magnemite can utilize Sturdy to always prevent Mantyke from sweeping as long as it is at full HP. Choice Scarf Elekid is also notable, as it outspeeds Mantyke even in the rain and can easily OHKO it. Lastly, Helioptile, while extremely rare, resists Air Slash and is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin and can thus stop Mantyke in its tracks if it's not carrying Hidden Power Ground.

This is my first time trying this, not sure if I was right about the list of checks in usage tips. You used "in addition" three times to start a sentence in the opening paragraph. I removed some adjectives and adverbs like "incredible" because I didn't think they added anything. Let me know if you have any feedback and/or questions.

I was going to include a copy/paste here but apparently I'm not supposed to do that. My bad.
Thanks for the check, implemented some of it.

The major bit of advice I can give you is to not make as many subjective changes. You made quite a few edits that weren't necessary as my version simply has a different style of writing. The adjectives you mentioned are a good example of this; I always include these and while they are not needed, they add a bit of flavor to the analysis which makes it easier to read in my opinion. Overall good check, but keep that in mind (of course I am not a GP member, so don't take everything I say for granted).

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 2/2
add/corrections remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Mantyke's access to Rain Dance and Swift Swim as well as an excellent offensive typing allow it to function as a fairly effective late-game cleaner, especially since there are only two Pokemon in Little Cup that resist both of Mantyke's STAB moves—Chinchou and the very uncommon Helioptile. It also has a gargantuan base 120 Special Defense stat, allowing it to set up on certain special attackers like Gastly, unboosted Snivy, and Croagunk. In addition, Mantyke resists common forms of priority in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, which would otherwise be able to end its sweep prematurely. However, though Mantyke's Hydro Pump is very powerful when rain-boosted, its Air Slash is quite weak, especially coming off a low base 60 Special Attack stat. In addition, Mantyke's 4x weakness to Electric means it can sometimes get KOed by coverage moves on a Pokemon it can usually set up on, like Thunderbolt Gastly or Wild Charge Ponyta. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Mantyke struggles to switch in repeatedly. Its pitiful physical bulk only amplifies this, as it can rarely switch into or set up on any physical attacker. Mantyke struggles greatly if rain is not up, as it is quite slow without a Swift Swim boost and Hydro Pump is weak without the boost from rain. In addition, since rain only lasts 4 turns, Mantyke is very limited in the time it has to sweep. Lastly, Mantyke faces a lot of competition from other offensive Water-types such as Shellder, Carvanha, and Omanyte, though its incredible STAB coverage and great Special Defense give it a niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move, (ac) and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash, (ac) and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb recoil. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many damage benchmarks such as a guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be used in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers ("used to optimize Mantyke's defenses with Eviolite and raise its HP slightly" for clarity?) and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up setup opportunities, (ac) as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the Speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up setup opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed, (you didn't remove the comma) have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and unboosted Snivy, Fighting-types like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up setup opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for many of its KOes KOs.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, (rc) while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke, (ac) as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento support can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable entry hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes KOs, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side. Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's high Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOes KOs. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost both Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean, (ac) and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke, (ac) and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain, (ac) and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
(add line of space)

And yeah Infamy I agree with the writer that you should try getting more exposure on what subjective changes you need and need not make. As long as those adjectives you removed aren't excessive or anything of the like, it's usually okay to include them for the sake of emphasis. Removing them at times can be a pretty minor yet easily overlooked content change as well, such as "its coverage gives it a niche" vs "its incredible coverage gives it a niche"; the latter is more explicit in conveying what about the coverage gives the niche. Good luck with am checking :toast:

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
GP 2/2
add/corrections remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rain Dance doubles Mantyke's Speed stat thanks to Swift Swim and boosts the power of Hydro Pump, allowing it to clean late-game. Hydro Pump is Mantyke's main STAB move, (ac) and it is incredibly powerful when boosted by rain and Life Orb, OHKOing Vullaby after Stealth Rock as well as Pawniard. Air Slash is Mantyke's secondary STAB move and provides great neutral coverage along with Hydro Pump, as it hits Grass-types like Snivy and Foongus (both of which are OHKOed after a bit of prior damage if Mantyke is holding a Life Orb) super effectively, while Water-types like Staryu and Shellder (which are 2HKOed with a Life Orb boost) are hit neutrally. In addition, it hits Croagunk, which is immune to Hydro Pump thanks to Dry Skin. The last slot is used to hit Chinchou, which otherwise walls Mantyke; both options here KO it after Air Slash. Hidden Power Ground can be used to also hit Mareanie, which takes any of Mantyke's other moves well, as well as Electric-types like Magnemite so that Mantyke doesn't have to rely on the inaccurate Hydro Pump. Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types like Slowpoke and Clamperl, which are both 2HKOed after a Life Orb boost. However, this coverage overlaps with Air Slash, (ac) and Electric-types are more threatening to Mantyke than Water-types, so Hidden Power Ground is usually preferred. Surf is an option over Hydro Pump as a more reliable STAB move, but since Mantyke is already not very powerful, the higher Base Power of Hydro Pump is generally preferred.

Set Details
========

9 HP IVs are used in order to lower Mantyke's HP to 19, allowing it to only take 1 damage from Life Orb recoil. Maximum Special Attack investment with a Life Orb and a Modest nature allows Mantyke to hit many damage benchmarks such as a guaranteed OHKO on defensive Vullaby with Hydro Pump in the rain after Stealth Rock as well as having a good chance to KO Chinchou with Air Slash followed by Hidden Power. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed 18 Speed Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Gastly after Rain Dance. A Timid nature can be run to outspeed Pokemon such as Vullaby and Adamant Scraggy before a Swift Swim boost, as well as +2 Vullaby in the rain, but the drop in damage is generally not worth it. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to raise both by one point each. Eviolite can be used in order to patch up Mantyke's poor Defense and boost its Special Defense to incredible levels, giving it an easier time setting up Rain Dance, though it will miss out on certain KOs. If Eviolite is chosen, an alternative EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe should be used to hit Eviolite numbers ("used to optimize Mantyke's defenses with Eviolite and raise its HP slightly" for clarity?) and raise Mantyke's HP slightly. Berry Juice is another option to give Mantyke more set up setup opportunities, (ac) as it allows Mantyke to recover any HP it lost, including to Stealth Rock, but its pitiful physical bulk means that it will likely go down to any powerful hit. Mantyke should run 31 HP IVs if it doesn't run Life Orb. Swift Swim is the ability of choice in order to get the Speed boost from rain and potentially clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should be preserved until late-game, where it should look for a set up setup opportunity in order to clean once its checks like Chinchou and Ferroseed, (you didn't remove the comma) have been weakened or removed. It can potentially set up on certain special attackers like Gastly lacking Thunderbolt and unboosted Snivy, Fighting-types like Timburr lacking the very rare Thunder Punch and Mienfoo, Fire-types like Ponyta lacking Wild Charge, or Water-types like Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. Always make sure to scout for Electric-type coverage possessed by the foe, especially with Pokemon such as Gastly, Ponyta, and Staryu, as it can quickly put an end to Mantyke's sweep or set up setup opportunity. It is very important that Mantyke has enough turns of rain to clean up. If your opponent's team still has too many Pokemon remaining for Mantyke to clean in its limited time, it is often recommended to weaken them further before attempting a sweep, even if your opponent can't check Mantyke well anymore. Mantyke shouldn't try to sweep until Sucker Punch users like Pawniard have also been eliminated, as they can generally knock it out easily with only minimal prior damage due to Mantyke's pitiful Defense. Even with a boost from rain and Life Orb, Mantyke is not extremely powerful, so it is important that Eviolites from bulky foes like Spritzee and Slowpoke have been removed and that entry hazards have been set up on the opponent's side of the field, since Mantyke relies on them for many of its KOes KOs.

Team Options
========

The most important thing for Mantyke is that Pokemon that can check it, like Chinchou and Ferroseed, are removed or weakened. As such, Diglett is an excellent partner for this, as it can easily eliminate Chinchou if it comes in on a free switch, (rc) while also being able to eliminate the most common Sucker Punch user in Pawniard. Fire-types like Ponyta also synergize well with Mantyke, (ac) as they can threaten or eliminate Ferroseed, while Grass-types like Foongus can threaten and take out Chinchou. Memento
Thankssupport can give Mantyke an easier time setting up, and this can be provided by the aforementioned Diglett as well as Cottonee. Cottonee also functions as a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, most notably Chinchou. Reliable entry hazard control is also very important for Mantyke. On one hand, it needs Stealth Rock away from its side of the field, since it otherwise struggles to switch in. On the other hand, it relies on Stealth Rock being up on the opponent's side to secure important KOes KOs, such as the OHKO on defensive Vullaby. As such, Drilbur and Kabuto are good partners, as they provide both entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Staryu also functions well as a spinner, while Onix and Ferroseed can reliably get hazards up on the opponent's side. Onix can also use Taunt to prevent its foe from setting up Stealth Rock. Mantyke appreciates another Water-type in order to wear down its checks. The aforementioned Staryu and Kabuto work well to wear down Ferroseed and Chinchou, but Corphish and Carvanha are also good options. Knock Off support from Pokemon like Pawniard, Vullaby, and the aforementioned Corphish is appreciated, as they can allow Mantyke to sweep more easily by removing Eviolites from your opponent's Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set with RestTalk can be used to take advantage of Mantyke's high Special Defense and Water Absorb ability, but it suffers from a weakness to Stealth Rock and a very exploitable weakness to Electric, can be setup bait for many Pokemon, and has to rely on Sleep Talk rolls. Damp Rock is an option to give Mantyke more turns of rain in order to attempt a sweep, but the loss of power from Life Orb or bulk from Eviolite makes it very hard to set up and clean. Scald can be used as a more reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn, but the loss of power means that Mantyke would miss out on many important KOes KOs. Agility is an option over Rain Dance so that Mantyke is not reliant on rain turns, but it misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump that rain provides. Tailwind is another option to boost both Mantyke's Speed and also boosts its teammates' Speed, but Mantyke is still on a timer to clean, (ac) and it also misses out on the boost to Hydro Pump. Mantyke can use both Signal Beam and Ice Beam as coverage options, but the only notable Pokemon Signal Beam hits is Slowpoke, (ac) and Ice Beam completely overlaps with Hydro Pump and Air Slash. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is an option to take out Ferroseed, but it is very weak in the rain, (ac) and Mantyke usually prefers the ability to hit Chinchou hard.

Checks and Counters
===================
(add line of space)

Thanks for the check, implemented. This is now done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)