ORAS UU Marines or Bust (Omastar HO)

"Hello. This is an RMT but I really made it to talk a little. I want to vent out some inner thoughts. Maybe I can get some feedback from you guys and you can tell me what you think. For the last month or two I have been participating in Marine PT, which is a work out session to get Marines prepped for boot camp. Working out with people is really fun to me for some reason. I don't know if I just like to show off or if I like the company or what, but I like to be around people when I work out. I'm a pretty fit guy. In fact, I'm scoring the top average in our work out categories at this Marine PT. Granted these things are made to get people into shape rather than people that are already in shape. At first, the recruiters would talk to me every work out and try to get me to sign up. I was stalling because I wasn't ready to commit to something so permanent. I just wanted to work out with the other guys until they kicked me out. One day they dragged me to their office and asked if I was going to sign up. I told in the most polite way I could that I wasn't going to right now. They still let me go to their work outs but now they are hinting at me to try to recruit more people for them. It hits me that if I'm so good at this Marine stuff, then maybe I should just sign up and reap the benefits. Boot camp would be no big deal, I would get the awesome title of "Marine" and everything that came with it, and I would get school paid for. What nags at the back of my mind is how this might change me."
Team Building Process
--------------------------------------

A few months back I made a 5 moxie pokemon team with lead Omastar that worked out pretty well for a fun team. Omastar has recently been added to the UU VR so I thought I would try some lead Omastar HO.

Next I wanted to prevent hazard removal or at least punish it. Doublade is there to prevent spin and to be a win condition that can take a stone edge from Mega Aero. Tornadus has Defiant for defog Empoleon or Salamence. It doubles are a momentum grabber.

Having a spinner of my own to take away sticky web and absorb t spikes was much desired. Tentacruel is one of the best offensive spinners in UU and a lot of people don't know about it. It works as a lure for Mamoswine so sceptile can have an easier time.

I wanted a cleaner that was fighting type . Heracross and its Moxie fit pretty well. I have been using heracross as a cleaner for quite a while so I may just be using it out of familiarity but either way, it puts in work.

I think I had Mega Swampert to star off on this 6th slot but I found that using acid spray tentacruel wasn't the best way to beat bulky waters. Granted, this last slot should probably be some sort of set up sweeper, but sceptiles immunity to electric type attacks and its offensive pressure fit too well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

"If I go into the Marines, there is a good chance I won't care for Pokemon or even video games anymore. I won't care if Cobalion gets S rank, I won't watch UU SPL and go crazy for teal6, I won't remember you guys and all you have done for me. Is that okay? To be honest, yes I think it is. This is just a game. Why should it mean so much to me or anyone else. I have spent hours upon hours on this little little little thing. This game should not consume so much of my time. It is overall not beneficial. I guess you can learn English or how to pose a convincing argument with Smogon, but its such a little thing. I realize how bad it is for me to keep playing so I must be addicted to continue doing this."

• Omastar is my suicide lead made to get up as much hazards as possible and die. I have max speed and Timid to out speed pokemon like Cobalion after weak armor activates. The rest is pretty self explanatory except for Haze. Haze prevent pokemon from setting up on my lead Omastar and sweeping the rest of my team. I originally had shell smash and I got swept twice in a row by DD Feraligatr and DD Gyarados. I realized that I needed some sort of temporary stop to those sweepers.
"This isn't all about me either. My dad recently took a job in a different state and he is going to be living by himself while sending money back home. My dad living away means that we (meaning my family) can't rely on him to fix the refrigerator or drive people around. My mom is expecting me to stick around and help her out which I have no problem doing, but I am really hoping for the say where I can leave and be an independent person. I'm sure a lot of people my age are wanting to do the same. Is it selfish for me to run away into the Marines when my family is in need? It must be. Then again, is it selfish to join the Marines either way. I don't want to join because I want to serve my country, I just want the benefits of being a Marine whether that's free college or an attitude adjustment. My recruiter says that everyone joins for selfish reasons but I don't think that makes it right."
  • Heracross is my cleaner of choice. It benefits greatly from suicide leads and cleaners up mid-late game quite easily with its powerful stabs and ability. A few notable perks of scarf Heracross is that it can out speed Mega Aero and Gyarardos after a DD. Stone edge it preferred over earthquake because stone edge is a fabulous cleaning option that is unexpected. It provides some nice defensive utility in being a dark resist.
"Another thing is that my mom has never wanted me to join the Marines or any branch of military for that matter. She had a dream that I would die if I was ever to join the military and she has proclaimed that it was a vision from God. I fully respect her relationship with God, but I don't think she can pull that card against me even if it was a legit 'vision from God.' With my dad leaving, she is now using that as another reason why I should not join. The funny thing is that I was talking to her about going on a missions trip this summer (which would last as long as Marine boot camp) and she was all for it. She didn't once preach about her need for me or what danger I would be in. That seems kind of hypocritical of her. My tolerance of what she says in reguards on this matter is quickly fading. She must be biased to be so blind and speak out against something she knows little of. I have nothing against my mom. She is so sacrificial towards me and the other siblings. I just wish she would understand that this might be something good for me"
  • Tornadus works really nice as a defiant attacker. For one, it comes in on Defog and wrecks everything with the power of +2 acrobatics. Two, it can't be intimidated by Gyarados and all those other cheeky intimidate users that think they cant force a switch. The 111 base speed tier is great. U-turn allows tornadus to grab momentum after taking a vacuum wave from infernape, or a wood hammer from chesnaught. Not many teams have a good flying resist which makes tornadus all the more threatening. It acts as a decent grass resist but is mainly on this team for the hazard removal punishing.
"One thing that is weird about me is that I don't care about dying. I see a valiant and courageous death as a far greater prize than a long life. This might be my naive, young, reckless mind feeding me false truths. I am confident in my after life and what comes next. I would love to give my life to save another. I feel that would be an awesome thing to brag about in heaven. So yeah, that is why I don't see much downfall if I were to join active service, but for my sake and the sake of those around me, I would join the reserves. People say that we are going to war so going into the reserves won't matter. That is fine with me. The only way I am going to get out on the battle field is if I am forced to. I long for an opportunity to prove myself. I often day dream in church about someone breaking in with a gun and I confront and stop the intruder. I also day dream at work of a robber coming in and I stop him. It is my desire to be the hero. Unfortunately, my mom knows this which makes her even more concerned about this decision."

• Tentacruel is my offensive spinner that doubles as a Mamoswine and Entei lure. I have Clear body over liquid ooze so that I can maintain my speed when webs are up, giving my the opportunity to spin them away. Hydro Pump in needed to get the kills I want since surf does not KO. Acid Spray is so deadly on fast Tentacruel. The fast follow up attack is unexpected and powerful. It works great with the rest of the team since it lures almost everything that the other pokemon have trouble with.
"Boot camp would be like a trip to Disney Land to me. I love a challenge and the physicality that comes with it. There are the bad things. For one, I don't want to cuss like a sailor. The people are have no care for what comes out of their mouths and how that may influence the people around them. I know that if I am in an environment where people are constantly throwing around F bombs, then I will probably join in. I have never been one to drink or smoke anything. I believe in a healthy life style in spirit and in body. I would rather not be around a crowd for so long that is doing something that I don't agree with. I don't want to be tempted. Other than the people there, boot camp is like a playground. I have no deadlines, no work, it's a vacation. Many don't see it that way, but I like to work out and push myself all the time."
  • Doublade gives the team some back up bulk as well as being a win condition. It also provides my team with some priority damage which saves this team from the likes of Alakazam. Its ghost typing blocks rapid spin for all the hazards I set up with Omastar. Everything else is standard and obvious. The team just a ghost and Doublade fit so well being a rock resist and having all that natural bulk.
"My church is a place I wouldn't like to leave. I am a youth leader there and I desire for the kids to grow up in a healthy manner. That does not all fall on me, but I would like to be part of that. Being part of something great that isn't myself feels really good. I am not the best christian. In fact, I hesitate in calling myself a christian due to my poor representation of it. But, I still believe what I believe and want others to benefit from that. I feel if I distant myself from the church for a few months, that I will miss out on blessing these kids in the way that I can. They look up to me. It is hard to leave people that like you... I talked about this in my good bye thread too. If I am looking to make a difference, then maybe it is right here and not in the Marines."
  • Mega Sceptile is my way to prevent volt switch as well as my scald switch in. The speed and power allows me to revenge kill the opposition and get my Heracross into a sweeping position. I don't normally use Timid nature, but on this offence, I found it quite hard to get the mega off without it. The electric immunity helps with my slight Zapdos weakness makes my opponent think twice about clicking the electric move on this team's various team mates.
"Can I have the benefits of being in the Marines without them? Well, I can't run away from life in such an appropriate way that the Marines offer. Then again, is it right for me to do this to run away? That seems like a weak reason to do anything. I don't want to be weak. The Marines offer a physically healthy life style. I love that, but I think I can get that right now without their influence. Getting free college is an opportunity I passed up in high school. I can get it again with the Marines. Maturity with the Marines is an awesome perk. I can do that on my own my growing up in the church and working at a job. Do I need the Marines? No. Do I want the Marines? Yes. Do I want the Marines for all the wrong reasons? Yes. Is that okay.... I HAVE NO IDEA! Its fine to be selfish in some areas of my life and my decisions making, but is it good for right now? Is this too selfish? These are things I need to think about. I'll keep working out with the Marines until they threaten to kick me out or something. At the end of the semester is when I should make my choice. I have three months to think, so I will. I hope God will just give me an answer so I can be freed of this decision. For now, I will wait."
Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Haze
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Tornadus
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Thanks to everyone and anyone that actually reads what I wrote. If you are interested in getting this team on wifi, then pm me and I can clone it for you. I wish you all a very nice day and a merry spring break. Peace out!

Last edited:
Hi

This isn't a rate but more of a response to your inner turmoil. I'm pretty sure you don't know me, but I'm currently taking classes in psychology with addresses topic such as this. I'm addressing each paragraph

1. Frankly, you should do what you want to do. Like you stated in the first paragraph, this is just a game. Not what you formulated your life into, but more of what formulated itself into your life. Pokemon, or just Smogon, shouldn't be the first thing that haunts you at the thought of becoming a Marine. Truth is these people on here aren't going to be the ones to drive you into the mysterious cycles of life in which you are bound to be thrust into whether you like it or not.

2. The issue with your mother seems eerily unhealthy as she should be encouraging you to pursue your dreams. Going by your profile I'm assuming you're 19. Don't you realize you're already an independent person? You have the right to leave home whenever you want and go out to be what you want to be. She can't force you stay there with her even if she's your mother. I understand she wants you to stay around and take care of the things your father took care of, but it frankly seems more like a personal problem if she wants you to drive around people when she can herself (I'm assuming) or get you to repair objects when call a repairman to fix the refrigerator. You get where I'm coming from? It seems she's stuck in a phase where she's not used to independence and has an unhealthy dependence upon others to meet her needs and wants. Oh and it's not selfish to go into the Marine to reap the benefits. You are putting your life on the line. If it's selfish for you to want to risk your own life for great benefits and know the opportunity cost, then it's selfish for her to restrain you from reaching your potential as a Marine.

3. And it seems like the philosophy I applied in the above paragraph reigns true. I'm be upset as well if she didn't want me to go off into the Marine, but would gladly send me off into a missions trip. There's obviously something fishy here. Has she ever told you what she wanted you to be? Or what she wanted to be if she hasn't reached that goal? I'm a Christian as well and I completely understand how parents react towards certain stimulus. I've had similar troubles as you, wanting to go places, but the proposition was rejected, but when something involving religion shows up they're all for it. I understand. Perhaps she wants you to do something that would seem pleasing in her eyes and the Lord's eyes. We each have a calling on this earth and if you believe you're meant to be an Marine then go for it.

4. I appreciate how willing you are to sacrifice yourself for others. Valiant indeed. However, I'm sure any parent would be worried about their child being reckless (keyword here) and frolicking with death. Oh and FYI, I hardly think bragging in Heaven will earn you any favor, as we are to be a humble people.

5. That's the struggle of striving to your dreams. You have to overcome obstacles and resist temptation to stay true to your belief of healthy body and spirit.

6. This is lovely. Do you not realize that being on the battlefield and waiting to protect the country is a blessing for the children of your church in disguise? I know, you'd miss the contact you'd have with them, but you're doing something only a small percentage of people strive to do and that's put their lives on the live everyday for the well-being of them. Anyone can be a role model and anyone can be a blessing to children. What you're wanting to do is go above and beyond the general expectation that people expect from common Christian and do something that benefits everyone.

7. You're not running. I can't stress this enough. You aren't running away, you're stepping into the future. This is the main issue many children our age experience. We don't want to let go of what is familiar and go into the depths of the unknown. It's frightening, but eventually those children you love blessing? They'll realize there more for them in the world than the church and only the church. They'll have dreams of being something more than a civilian. They'll want to be scholars, doctors, and police officers. It's up to you to realize that's there more for you as well, Paul (is that your real name?) Is it selfish of them to make a life for themselves? Then it's selfish for your dad to leave your mom to find a place to work and only burden you with the ability to be late providing for your future family. Do you want to succumb to a part-time job and live a life of obscurity and resist the temptation of being more?

So all in all, it's up to you. Would you rather go above and beyond the common expectation of the people around you or conform yourself to what everyone else would want? That's the question you must answer and then you'll be at peace. As you contemplate continue to pray and thank God for all he's brought you through and all he'll continue to do. If you ever need someone to talk to just shoot me a PM.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I just want to say that this was super inspirational for me. I'm not the kind of guy to sacrifice myself for the safety of other people, and the way you wrote made me feel so thankful for all the soldiers. Don't feel like you are running away. Don't feel like you are obligated to stay in Pokemon. I haven't known you for very long, but I do know this: You are a super nice and caring guy, and like Magic said, you are indirectly protecting everybody else. If you do decide to leave, I will support your decision, and I know for a fact that everyone else here will too. I've never cried about a book, movie, online story, or post. Until now. Follow your dreams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)