SM OU Marowak-Venusaur Balance

So for the majority of this gen, I've just been making fun teams to make use of the new pokemon. I've always used them knowing full well they weren't teams that would get me very far on the ladder. But the time's come where I kind of want to put my effort into making a team that's competitive in the current meta. So I'll walk through my building process up until I get the end result, and hopefully we can iron out any issues the team has.

Teambuilding process:

To begin the team, I knew I wanted to use Marowak. Marowak has to be my favourite new mon this gen, and fits a role I've always wanted regular Marowak to be able to accomplish in lower tiers; a bulky pokemon that can easily switch into certain top tier threats while maintaining impressive offensive presence (although regular marowak wasn't really used for such). Marowak is incredibly anti-meta, like the amount of top tier pokemon you can switch into reliably is insane, Xard, Kartana barring night slash, Magearna, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, Pheromosa, Porygon z, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona.

I actually haven't used Greninja very much this gen, which is kind of surprising when I think about it because greninja is ridiculously powerful. Greninja's offensive typing makes it easily one of the best partners for Marowak in the entire game, only really having competition with Tapu Fini. Greninja gives the team more offensive presence, more speed and incredibly valuable priority.

The third addition to the team wasn't really a "hey let's look at what the team needs" and more of a "so Tapu Lele is a compulsory pokemon right now, so I may as well add it now rather than try to fit it in later" addition. Lele is in my oppinion the best pokemon in the tier. There's people who say Lele needs to be banned, and there's people who say it's perfectly fine, and I don't want to trigger anybody so I'll refrain from saying anything too oppinionated, but I just want to mention that choice scarf Tapu Lele is not only faster than choice specs greninja (obviously) but also hits harder than choice specs hydro pump. That coupled with it's coverage that 2hkos like literally every pokemon in the game (set and coverage depending) barring like Magearna or something.

This is where I find the team gets kind of interesting. Mega Venusaur is an amazing pair for Greninja and Marowak, as it can switch easily into Tapu Fini. One of the benefits of Tapu Fini being one of the best (if not THE best) bulky waters in the format is that Venusaur will get burned much, much less than it would have in ORAS. And on that note, I'm of the oppinion that Venusaur got an indirect buff this gen thanks to the burn nerf. Venusaur always had the problem in oras of basically always being burned, because it had to consistently switch into pokemon like rotom and keldeo. With burn only doing 6% now, Venusaur's survivability has increased dramatically (in my oppinion at least).

Rotom was added out of necessity. The team needed a solid Landorus and Garchomp switch in, and while having a flying resist is less mandatory as it was in oras, having a team that gets 6-0'd by Mega Pinsir isn't ideal in SUMO. It's also great for Gyarados as well, which I've seen a decent amount of. And in general, it's a great pivot into my hard hitting offensive core and can pivot on some key pokemon.

Skarmory patches up several holes for the team. Having Skarm as both my hazard removal and my hazard setter is ackward but not enough to make the team bad. Skarmory defogs on Landorus which is of coarse always a great thing for a hazard remover to say. It checks Invader Zam and Tapu Lele, but like Lele is rediculous. Specs 2hkos SpDef Skarmory with psycic and even without that it gets thunderbolt. But regardless, Skarm adds a lot to the team.

So that all being said, here's the finished product:

Wak on Wak off (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

I honestly don't remember where I saw this spread from, but it's not my original set. That being said, I've really enjoyed using this spread. Rest-talk wasn't the original moveset, but it's a neat thing that I find incredibly fun to use. It's ackward, since people always switch in Tapu Lele, and Marowak often switches into Tapu Koko, and bot pokemon block rest. But I can live with that. I've used flare blitz over wisp in the past, but honestly whenever I click an attack I generally just spam shadow bone. And having wisp offers utility to the team by being able to burn stuff like landorus.

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 270-320 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Marowak-Alola: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Marowak-Alola: 135-161 (41.7 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Marowak-Alola: 114-135 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-2 252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Marowak-Alola: 57-68 (17.6 - 21%) -- 86.4% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Naruto Sandpai (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

This is a fairly standard Greninja set, the common set being generally either u-turn or ice beam. U-turn seemed more helpful to the team to bring momentum into things like Lele and Marowak. Water shuriken gives the team priority which is fantastic to have. And Hydro+Pulse is just the most effective combination of stab.

Top Lel (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Modest scarf is something that some people think is ridiculous, and others say is very nice. Modest scarf psyshock 2hkos Chansey after rocks, and my team so far is fairly weak to stall so I thought the addition to be necessary. I'm at a crossroads coverage-wise, I like being able to shadow ball Metagross but I also appreciate being able to thunderbolt Celesteela. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the set should be overall.

Penusaur (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Specially defensive Venusaur deals with things like greninja, Tapu Koko, Serperior, Magearna, etc better. Earthquake is for heatran, as my switch ins are limited. Giga drain and sludge bomb are as we all know the most effective STAB combination for the set. And of coarse, synthesis increases the longevity of the mon.

Washed up mon (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic

Toxic may seem out of place, but Rotom being my best switch into mega Xard, I didn't want rotom to be set up fodder. Missing pain split sucks, but I didn't want to forego wisp and hydro+volt switch is non negotiable.

Not Celesteela (Skarmory) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost

The only downside about using Skarmory is that it means you aren't using Celesteela. But that aside, I needed hazard control. Specially defensive means I have a potential switch into Lele and Alakazam, but makes me a bit weaker to Mega Metagross. Iron head is the preferred STAB move to hit things like tyranitar and tapu lele for supper effective damage, and so i can take on alakazam without taking recoil. And Magnezone is too much of a presence to not run shed shell (IMO).

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514960300

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514950823

Threat list:

These dank megas:

Dark types:

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, it's nice to see that you are trying out a more balanced approach in the SM meta, despite bulky offense being the most prominent playstyle at the moment.
Looking at your team I see Marowak, Venusaur and Skarmory as your defensive backbone, which in theory cover a lot of common threats in the meta for each other. Rotom-W complements Fire/Water/Grass type presence and acts as the pivot, grabs momentum while bringing in the team's offsensive mons safely. Ash-Greninja and Tapu Lele are one of the best offensive Pokemon in the tier, but here is where I want to start, I have a few ideas on how to get the best out of your team.

(Sash)>

The first change I have in mind is Sash Dugtrio over Greninja.
Dugtrio provides enourmous support for your team's goals, which are winning with Venusaur with its bulk and longevity or sweeping with Tapu Lele. Duggi helps archieving those goals by trapping key defensive threats which are problematic to your team, for example Mega Metagross, AV Magearna, or Heatran. With Earthquake on Venusaur, you get the necessary damage on Metagross and Magearna, so that you can trap and eliminate them with Dugtrio. Elimination of these grounded Steels gives Tapu Lele a higher chance to sweep late game, and also removes the opponent's answers to Venusaur and Skamory. So what I did is removing one of your sweepers, Greninja, to make room for more support for your other sweeper which is Tapu Lele. Dugtrio is still very fast and a potent revenge killer or sweeper with its high speed tier and good base attack.
That's not the only thing it does for the team, Duggi can also deal with Charizard X. If it is at +1 after a DD, you have your Sash which allows you to Earthquake it, which brings it in range of Sucker Punch the next turn.
It also has the capability to trap Tyranitar as well as Bisharp and Weavile if your Sash is intact. These Dark-types threaten Marowak and Tapu Lele, if it's locked into the wrong move, so you can try to trap them with Duggi before they trap your mons. After their removal you can click Shadow Bone, as Ghost switchins are hard to fit on teams, and Psychic more freely.
With Stone Edge as the third move you can revenge Charizard-Y more easily and have at least some move to hit levitators and Flying-types.
With these moves Dugtrio covers all the threats you mentioned at the end of your rmt.
For the fourth move, I'll suggest Screech, because of its ability to weaken Chansey. You will face problems against stall with your current team, as you don't have a dedicated stallbreaker and Marowak can't touch Chansey with the current set. Screech lowers Chanseys defense by two stages, that way you can damage it severly after the drops. Removing Chansey will give Venusaur, Tapu Lele, and your other teammates a lot more room in the matchup against stall.
With Shed Shell Skarmory you now have more options, you can either hard switch into Duggi and eliminate AV Magnezone, which likes to come into Scarf Lele, or go Marowak, get Rocks or damage.
As for downsides to this change, there are not too many. You lose the strong priority move in Water Shuriken, but you can't use it in Psychic terrain late game with Lele as your second sweeper. Also, Greninja doesn't really offer any defensive support because of its frailty, and Dugtrio's role compression and support for this team exceeds what Greninja can offer to the team.

Next, I suggest to change your Marowak spread. You team needs more offensive pressure and the ability to dish out heavy damage to dent opposing teams. An Adamant nature with 184 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/68 Spe allows it to outspeed negative natured Celesteela and Hippowdown. With adamant Shadow Bone, you can pressure opposing teams a lot more, e.g. standard Tapu Fini gets 2HKOed, and Landorus can only switch in two or three times, and these two are one of the most prominent walls on bulky offense in SM OU. Fire Punch over Will-O-Wisp is a lot more useful here, since you want to be able to hit Steel types like Ferrothorn, which can otherwise set up Spikes, you can hit Chansey on Stall, and Celesteela and other Steels for super effective damage.
You should never really switch into the moves you mentioned in your calcs, you have other teammates to take those hits. The way you should use Marowak is to get it in on predicted electric attacks, e.g on Magearna or Tapu Koko. Then, if you like, with the help of Shed Shell Skarmory, or with Rotom's help. Rotom forces Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss in, so going for Volt Switch you will keep momentum and you can bring Marowak in safely. Afterwards you can proceed with dishing out damage with Shadow Bone or Fire Punch.
I'm not so happy with RestTalk on it, but if it's your favourite set, you can keep it.
If you are willing to change that, there is an other Route for your team.
Stealth Rock over Sleep Talk on Marowak frees you a moveslot on Skarmory. You can still keep Rest if you want, but that will probably only help you for longevity against stall, otherwise I suggest running Will-O-Wisp to cripple Landorus-T or Earthquake to hit Tyranitar and Toxapex on the switchin.

Because of the balanced nature of your team, you will make a lot of defensive switches, and the opponent can keep momentum through Volt Switch or U-Turn, e.g Tapu Koko, where you switch Venu, or Landorus and you switch Skarmory. In the long run, having no momentum will chip your team down due to hazards and damage from U-Turn and Volt Switch. To punish VoltTurn teams more, you should run Spikes on Skarmory.
Spikes also helps you wear down key defensive threats such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi. These are all switchins to Tapu Lele, so having Spikes on the field early and mid game will chip them down, when they swich in, that way Tapu Lele has better chances of sweeping late game. After getting the necessary damage on the checks and counters, you can defog the hazards away for Duggi's Sash which helps a lot latee game.

As for smaller moveset changes, I suggest running a 232 HP/180 Def/80 SpD/16 Spe with a Bold nature on Venu . The added physical bulk takes on Pheromosa, Landorus, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole and Charizard X better, while still doing well against special attacks from Ash and Protean Greninja, Charizard Y in Sun and Tapu Koko.

Rotom should run Pain Split over Toxic to help you pivot, keep momentum and bring in your threats throughout the whole game. You usually run Thunder Wave on Rotom for Charizard X, not Toxic, but now you have Duggi and added physical bulk on Venu to keep it in check, so it is not needed as much. The opponnent will probably use Defog on a Zard X team so your chances are good that the opponent will remove hazards before bringing it in, so the Sash on Duggi can be kept intact.

A Timid nature should be used to outspeed Pheromosa, +2 Magearna, Scarf Landorus and Excadrill, and to speedtie with other Tapu Lele. You should run HP Fire over Psyshock on Lele to beat Scizor late game in Psychic Terrain, or when predicting Steel types to come in. You can deal with Chansey with Marowak and Duggi better now. Focus Blast over Shadow Ball prevents you from getting trapped or doing no damage to Dark types and OHKOes or heavly damages them for Marowak, while being a good midground option against Steel-types.

Other threats:
Your team still weak to Specs Tapu Lele as you said, you can try to trap it with Dugtrio though, removing Psychics is important for Venusaur to win. Hoopa-U is also a threat to balance so you treat it the same way. Sub Coil Zygarde is really problematic, Lele can force it out, but you don't really want to take the damage. Venu also has defensive investment to take it on, but the Sub can only be broken with Modest max SpA, but you need the bulk on it so it's not worth it. You could run Whirlwind over Spikes on Skarmory to force it out, but then will leave Skarmory really passive and the team needs Spikes support to function optimally. If you think that your opponent will bring it in a tour game for example, you can give it a try. SD Rockium-Z Lando or Double Dance is also problematic, after an SD it will probably force you to sack a mon, so you need to be careful around it.
For Ash Greninja, you don't have a designated Dark switchin but Venusaur together with Rotom do well against it.
For Zard Y, you really have no switchins, but Venusaur can stall out the sun with Synthesis, still you generally don't want your PP wasted. Marowak OHKOes it 50% of the time with Shadow Bone, so it will force it out or kill it in a 1v1 situation, even if Marowak switched into Stealth Rock once.
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rest/Will-O-Wisp /Earthquake

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Earthquake

Careful Nature
- Spikes/Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Good luck and hmu if you have questions !

Edit: just found out Dugtrio is getting suspected. There is no non-Duggi meta yet, but if it happens to get banned in two weeks you can keep Ash-Greninja, but still change all the other stuff I mentioned. I'd personally use Protean Greninja here as your team needs a bit more breaking power, but I'll leave a comment here in your thread once the suspect test result is out.

Sup Dazzling Gleamstar, here is my rate of this team. I will break this rate down into the following categories: threats list and issues noticed, major and minor changes, and closing thoughts. With that said, let's get into some of the problems I noticed with your team initially. I am fairly new to rating on the forums so I apologize in advance if anything is off.

Threats List and Issues

• Major issues in red
  • Relatively minor issues in orange

General Inefficiency and Role Overlap:

The first thing I noticed when looking through your team is the fact that there are multiple Pokemon/sets which file similar, overlapping roles and essentially accomplish the same thing. The issue here is that having two pokemon that share the same purpose means that a team slot is essentially wasted on something whose role is redundant.

This is mainly seen here with Mega Venusaur and rest-talk Marowak. Mega Venusaur already hard checks many of the mons that this Marowak spread intends to check (offensive electric types, kartana, pheromosa, magearna, etc.), meaning that this spread really doesn't accomplish much and can be put to better use. This is also somewhat true with Rotom and Skarmory, as both serve the purpose of hard checking Metagross, Landorus, Salamence, Pinsir, and other offensive flying and ground types. While it can be argued that each of these mons helps to ease pressure of its partner, this skarmory can't afford to switch into the aforementioned physical attackers because it's this team's only reliable answer to tapu lele.

Finally, modest scarf Tapu Lele with psyshock is alright in theory to help break down stall, but is not only a lot less effective against those builds compared to a more standard twisted-spoon set, but sacrifices its ability to revenge kill mons on offense like scarf drill, Porygon-z after conversion, scarf landorus, etc. Overall, there is a lot of role overlap on this team, which makes certain threats over-accounted for (offensive electric types for instance) while failing to properly take into account other builds (psychic spam).

Charizard

As mentioned in the original threat list, Charizard in both forms is a significant challenge here. Charizard-X easily finds setup opportunities against Skarmory (especially since this variant lacks roost), Venusaur and Rotom-W. The only counterplay is to keep rocks up, click toxic on rotom-w (you are still forced to sack though to either let it kill itself or put it in range of water shuriken), and/or keep Greninja alive to revenge kill it. Similarly, zard-y easily comes in on skarmory, venusaur, and even lele locked into Moonblast (which you will be clicking a lot because it's the only way the team really revenge kills offensive dark types) and kills something.

Metagross+Tapu Lele (psychic spam)

Metagross+Tapu Lele heavily pressure Skarmory, and Skarmory really can't do too much back. I mean Metagross is hard for any team without a dedicated answer to deal with, but a check that can't actually force it out isn't a check at all. Metagross can stay in and fish for meteor mash boosts and literally destroy the rest of your team if Greninja is gone. This is also somewhat true with Lele, as all it needs to do is click HP Fire/thunderbolt and Skarmory is forced out and can no longer switch in. When these two are together, Skarmory just gets overwhelmed.

Nihilego

While Venusaur can take it on, scarfed Nihilego creams this team once Venusaur is weakened in any way. This is especially an issue seeing how the only form of speed control this team has is modest scarf lele.

Volcarona

Can come in easily on skarmory, and can situationally switch in on lele (if locked into moonblast) and Venusaur. At +1 it essentially runs through this team if it has HP Ground/if marowak is weakened.

Stall

Modest scarf lele works okay in theory to lure in and cripple Chansey, but this is completely reliant on prediction and can be played around fairly easily by the opponent. In addition, this lele is susceptible to being trapped by Dugtrio, so the opponent can just sack something to bring in Dugtrio to revenge kill your only 'answer' to fat teams (keep in mind that this is looking at Dugtrio as of now, if it gets banned then ignore that advice). Now we'll look at my recommendations.

Recommended Changes
1. Minor change: Tapu-Lele set change.
:
/
>

Looking at Tapu Lele, this change aims at improving the team's matchup against fatter teams, and does a much more effective job at crippling Chansey in particular, which can open up potential for Greninja to clean. The set I'm talking about runs either a twisted spoon or shed shell. The former allows Tapu Lele to 2HKO Chansey with Psyshock, while the latter allows for it to escape Dugtrio. In the event that Dugtrio is not banned, a shed shell is the preferred option, as this mon will be the team's main win condition against fat builds; therefore, keeping it healthy is critical. In terms of the moveset, running taunt over psychic is needed to prevent mons like Chansey (or any fat mon) from recovering, allowing you to weaken them to the point where another member of your team can pick them off. You also need HP Fire>Thunderbolt in order to still support the team by luring in and killing/heaving weakening Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, and Jirachi (this particularly helps Greninja clean, and also weakens fat steel types which wall Venusaur).

I will address the loss of speed control with another change. However, this set is more effective on your team because it is actually specialized in taking on fat teams whereas before the modest-scarf set was both ineffective at its revenge killing ability and its ability to take on stall. This set, therefore, specializing lele into a specific role instead of leaving it ineffective at the two roles it attempted to achieve before. Here's the set I recommend:

Top Lel (Tapu Lele) @ Twisted Spoon / Shed Shell
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt

2. Major change; replaced Rotom-W.
>
;

The loss of speed control really needs to be addressed. Rotom-W is nice to provide you with a blanket check to a plethora of physical attacking ground and flying types (mainly), but honestly you have a Skarmory anyways so aside from the momentum generated from volt-switch, Rotom-W really does not accomplish much on this team. Running a scarf Latios is really useful here to provide you with a check against both Charizard forms (you can switch into Zard-Y decently and can revenge kill +1 Zard-X). It also provides you with something to revenge kill scarfed Nihiligo, and in general gives you some speed control which improves this team's matchup vs. offence.

I picked Latios specifically because it forms a nice offensive core with Tapu Lele and appreciates Lele luring in and weakening bulky steel types with HP Fire. Together, Latios and lele heavily pressure similar checks, and Latios can clean pretty easily in most matchups because of the fact that either lele lures in and cripples checks with HP Fire, or the two overwhelm their checks. Draco Meteor and Psychic are mandatory here as STAB; draco meteor is preferred over dragon pulse to actually help latios fulfil the role as a revenge killer. Psychic is needed to have something to hit the Tapus on the switch, and to revenge kill Nihiligo after some prior damage. In the third moveslot, I recommend surf or defog. It provides a middle-ground option to hit Metagross and Scizor for respectable damage (HP fire isn't needed because lele already lures in the mons it intends to hit) while still having something to dent Tyranitar and Heatran. Defog is also an option to provide hazard control for Marowak in particular. In the 4th moveslot, I recommend Memento, as it creates setup opportunities for the mon that I will recommend next. Here's the set I recommend:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf / Defog
- Memento

3. Major change; replaced skarmory.
>
;

Memento on Latios is useful for this reason: I replaced Skarmory with Autotomize Celestella. Skarmory as a rocker and defogger isn't really efficient in any situation; furthermore, without roar, it is literal setup bait for the entire tier. Plus, your team didn't need hazard removal that badly, so either having poor or no removal is fine as your only rocks weak Pokemon is Marowak, and Marowak isn't really relied upon here too much to check offensive electric types due to Venusaur being here. The aim of this Celestella is to provide your team with a more reliable way to handle Metagross and Tapu Lele (and psychic spam in general) while having a win condition that directly benefits from the free turns Latios provides with memento. This mon also helps with the issues that you have against metagross, tapu lele and dark types (bisharp, weavile, tyranitar), as you can easily take a hit to setup and eliminate them thereafter (you do need good chip on Tyranitar though).

The set I recommend is standard: air slash, giga drain, fire blast and autotomize. I like giga drain over earthquake because Venusaur already lures heatran with earthquake so removing it with Celestella isn't essential, and being able to beat mons like Tapu Fini 1v1 with giga drain is more useful in my view. I also recommend running 252 speed with a timid nature instead of the standard spread; the extra 80 HP isn't too useful, but being able to outrun key mons like scarf lele, scarf lando, and pheromosa (not scarfed of course) is more valuable.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

4. Minor change: Marowak set change.

A rest-sleep talk Marowak can be useful on teams that desperately need something to handle electric types, but this team does not need to use this set at all seeing as how you are running Mega Venusaur. I recommend a set that utilizes stealth rocks seeing how we replaced out previous setter, Skarmory. I also recommend to change the EVs to allow Marowak to outrun most defensive Pokemon and actually fulfil its role as a physical wallbreaker rather than a specially defensive pivot (as this team does not require Marowak to be one). I recommend running max speed honestly to outrun base 70 speed Pokemon, and maximum attack with an adamant nature to wallbreak as effectively as possible. I'd still keep Will-O-Wisp, however, as Tyranitar is a threat to this team and being able to cripple it is important. Plus, this team handles Heatran fairly well (especially with Venusaur luring it) and shadow bone chunks it, so boomerang isn't needed. You can consider flare blitz here, but I don't like the idea of having poor hazard removal and recoil, but you can run it if you want to hit as hard as possible. Anyways, here is the set I recommend.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz.
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

5. Minor change: Venusaur's EV spread.

The standard Venusaur spread is better on this team because 80 special defence is more than sufficient to check the special attackers Venusaur checks (fini, koko, keldeo, kingdra, etc.). The added physical defence is important to handle mons like Tapu Bulu and Pheromosa better (particularly avoiding the 2HKO from Pheromosa), which is important seeing that you only really have Marowak to handle them, and Marowak gets worn down extremely easily. I like keeping earthquake because it removes heatran for Celestella and Tapu Lele. Also, while extremely situational, chlorophyll is the preferred pre-mega ability. Here's the set I recommend.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Closing Thoughts

That's it for changes! I feel that the team covers the original threats I noticed, is much more efficient, and has a better matchup versus the builds it previously struggled with (stall). I do still notice that Volcarona is an issue, so in a matchup vs. it, prioritize keeping rocks on the field and keeping Greninja alive to revenge kill it. Other counterplay includes sacking Latios with memento (you outrun at +1) and brining in Marowak to kill it off. However, against zard, you now have an effective check; against stall, you have stallbreaker lele; and against offensive dark types and psychic spam, you have Celestella which can setup on dark/psychic attackers. Anyways I hope this rate helps and enjoy the new team!

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Top Lel (Tapu Lele) @ Twisted Spoon
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt

Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf/Defog
- Memento

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Sup Dazzling Gleamstar, here is my rate of this team. I will break this rate down into the following categories: threats list and issues noticed, major and minor changes, and closing thoughts. With that said, let's get into some of the problems I noticed with your team initially. I am fairly new to rating on the forums so I apologize in advance if anything is off.

Threats List and Issues

• Major issues in red
  • Relatively minor issues in orange

General Inefficiency and Role Overlap:

The first thing I noticed when looking through your team is the fact that there are multiple Pokemon/sets which file similar, overlapping roles and essentially accomplish the same thing. The issue here is that having two pokemon that share the same purpose means that a team slot is essentially wasted on something whose role is redundant.

This is mainly seen here with Mega Venusaur and rest-talk Marowak. Mega Venusaur already hard checks many of the mons that this Marowak spread intends to check (offensive electric types, kartana, pheromosa, magearna, etc.), meaning that this spread really doesn't accomplish much and can be put to better use. This is also somewhat true with Rotom and Skarmory, as both serve the purpose of hard checking Metagross, Landorus, Salamence, Pinsir, and other offensive flying and ground types. While it can be argued that each of these mons helps to ease pressure of its partner, this skarmory can't afford to switch into the aforementioned physical attackers because it's this team's only reliable answer to tapu lele.

Finally, modest scarf Tapu Lele with psyshock is alright in theory to help break down stall, but is not only a lot less effective against those builds compared to a more standard twisted-spoon set, but sacrifices its ability to revenge kill mons on offense like scarf drill, Porygon-z after conversion, scarf landorus, etc. Overall, there is a lot of role overlap on this team, which makes certain threats over-accounted for (offensive electric types for instance) while failing to properly take into account other builds (psychic spam).

Charizard

As mentioned in the original threat list, Charizard in both forms is a significant challenge here. Charizard-X easily finds setup opportunities against Skarmory (especially since this variant lacks roost), Venusaur and Rotom-W. The only counterplay is to keep rocks up, click toxic on rotom-w (you are still forced to sack though to either let it kill itself or put it in range of water shuriken), and/or keep Greninja alive to revenge kill it. Similarly, zard-y easily comes in on skarmory, venusaur, and even lele locked into Moonblast (which you will be clicking a lot because it's the only way the team really revenge kills offensive dark types) and kills something.

Metagross+Tapu Lele (psychic spam)

Metagross+Tapu Lele heavily pressure Skarmory, and Skarmory really can't do too much back. I mean Metagross is hard for any team without a dedicated answer to deal with, but a check that can't actually force it out isn't a check at all. Metagross can stay in and fish for meteor mash boosts and literally destroy the rest of your team if Greninja is gone. This is also somewhat true with Lele, as all it needs to do is click HP Fire/thunderbolt and Skarmory is forced out and can no longer switch in. When these two are together, Skarmory just gets overwhelmed.

Nihilego

While Venusaur can take it on, scarfed Nihilego creams this team once Venusaur is weakened in any way. This is especially an issue seeing how the only form of speed control this team has is modest scarf lele.

Volcarona

Can come in easily on skarmory, and can situationally switch in on lele (if locked into moonblast) and Venusaur. At +1 it essentially runs through this team if it has HP Ground/if marowak is weakened.

Stall

Modest scarf lele works okay in theory to lure in and cripple Chansey, but this is completely reliant on prediction and can be played around fairly easily by the opponent. In addition, this lele is susceptible to being trapped by Dugtrio, so the opponent can just sack something to bring in Dugtrio to revenge kill your only 'answer' to fat teams (keep in mind that this is looking at Dugtrio as of now, if it gets banned then ignore that advice). Now we'll look at my recommendations.

Recommended Changes
1. Minor change: Tapu-Lele set change.
:
/
>

Looking at Tapu Lele, this change aims at improving the team's matchup against fatter teams, and does a much more effective job at crippling Chansey in particular, which can open up potential for Greninja to clean. The set I'm talking about runs either a twisted spoon or shed shell. The former allows Tapu Lele to 2HKO Chansey with Psyshock, while the latter allows for it to escape Dugtrio. In the event that Dugtrio is not banned, a shed shell is the preferred option, as this mon will be the team's main win condition against fat builds; therefore, keeping it healthy is critical. In terms of the moveset, running taunt over psychic is needed to prevent mons like Chansey (or any fat mon) from recovering, allowing you to weaken them to the point where another member of your team can pick them off. You also need HP Fire>Thunderbolt in order to still support the team by luring in and killing/heaving weakening Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, and Jirachi (this particularly helps Greninja clean, and also weakens fat steel types which wall Venusaur).

I will address the loss of speed control with another change. However, this set is more effective on your team because it is actually specialized in taking on fat teams whereas before the modest-scarf set was both ineffective at its revenge killing ability and its ability to take on stall. This set, therefore, specializing lele into a specific role instead of leaving it ineffective at the two roles it attempted to achieve before. Here's the set I recommend:

Top Lel (Tapu Lele) @ Twisted Spoon / Shed Shell
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt

2. Major change; replaced Rotom-W.
>
;

The loss of speed control really needs to be addressed. Rotom-W is nice to provide you with a blanket check to a plethora of physical attacking ground and flying types (mainly), but honestly you have a Skarmory anyways so aside from the momentum generated from volt-switch, Rotom-W really does not accomplish much on this team. Running a scarf Latios is really useful here to provide you with a check against both Charizard forms (you can switch into Zard-Y decently and can revenge kill +1 Zard-X). It also provides you with something to revenge kill scarfed Nihiligo, and in general gives you some speed control which improves this team's matchup vs. offence.

I picked Latios specifically because it forms a nice offensive core with Tapu Lele and appreciates Lele luring in and weakening bulky steel types with HP Fire. Together, Latios and lele heavily pressure similar checks, and Latios can clean pretty easily in most matchups because of the fact that either lele lures in and cripples checks with HP Fire, or the two overwhelm their checks. Draco Meteor and Psychic are mandatory here as STAB; draco meteor is preferred over dragon pulse to actually help latios fulfil the role as a revenge killer. Psychic is needed to have something to hit the Tapus on the switch, and to revenge kill Nihiligo after some prior damage. In the third moveslot, I recommend surf or defog. It provides a middle-ground option to hit Metagross and Scizor for respectable damage (HP fire isn't needed because lele already lures in the mons it intends to hit) while still having something to dent Tyranitar and Heatran. Defog is also an option to provide hazard control for Marowak in particular. In the 4th moveslot, I recommend Memento, as it creates setup opportunities for the mon that I will recommend next. Here's the set I recommend:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf / Defog
- Memento

3. Major change; replaced skarmory.
>
;

Memento on Latios is useful for this reason: I replaced Skarmory with Autotomize Celestella. Skarmory as a rocker and defogger isn't really efficient in any situation; furthermore, without roar, it is literal setup bait for the entire tier. Plus, your team didn't need hazard removal that badly, so either having poor or no removal is fine as your only rocks weak Pokemon is Marowak, and Marowak isn't really relied upon here too much to check offensive electric types due to Venusaur being here. The aim of this Celestella is to provide your team with a more reliable way to handle Metagross and Tapu Lele (and psychic spam in general) while having a win condition that directly benefits from the free turns Latios provides with memento. This mon also helps with the issues that you have against metagross, tapu lele and dark types (bisharp, weavile, tyranitar), as you can easily take a hit to setup and eliminate them thereafter (you do need good chip on Tyranitar though).

The set I recommend is standard: air slash, giga drain, fire blast and autotomize. I like giga drain over earthquake because Venusaur already lures heatran with earthquake so removing it with Celestella isn't essential, and being able to beat mons like Tapu Fini 1v1 with giga drain is more useful in my view. I also recommend running 252 speed with a timid nature instead of the standard spread; the extra 80 HP isn't too useful, but being able to outrun key mons like scarf lele, scarf lando, and pheromosa (not scarfed of course) is more valuable.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

4. Minor change: Marowak set change.

A rest-sleep talk Marowak can be useful on teams that desperately need something to handle electric types, but this team does not need to use this set at all seeing as how you are running Mega Venusaur. I recommend a set that utilizes stealth rocks seeing how we replaced out previous setter, Skarmory. I also recommend to change the EVs to allow Marowak to outrun most defensive Pokemon and actually fulfil its role as a physical wallbreaker rather than a specially defensive pivot (as this team does not require Marowak to be one). I recommend running max speed honestly to outrun base 70 speed Pokemon, and maximum attack with an adamant nature to wallbreak as effectively as possible. I'd still keep Will-O-Wisp, however, as Tyranitar is a threat to this team and being able to cripple it is important. Plus, this team handles Heatran fairly well (especially with Venusaur luring it) and shadow bone chunks it, so boomerang isn't needed. You can consider flare blitz here, but I don't like the idea of having poor hazard removal and recoil, but you can run it if you want to hit as hard as possible. Anyways, here is the set I recommend.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz.
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

5. Minor change: Venusaur's EV spread.

The standard Venusaur spread is better on this team because 80 special defence is more than sufficient to check the special attackers Venusaur checks (fini, koko, keldeo, kingdra, etc.). The added physical defence is important to handle mons like Tapu Bulu and Pheromosa better (particularly avoiding the 2HKO from Pheromosa), which is important seeing that you only really have Marowak to handle them, and Marowak gets worn down extremely easily. I like keeping earthquake because it removes heatran for Celestella and Tapu Lele. Also, while extremely situational, chlorophyll is the preferred pre-mega ability. Here's the set I recommend.

Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Closing Thoughts

That's it for changes! I feel that the team covers the original threats I noticed, is much more efficient, and has a better matchup versus the builds it previously struggled with (stall). I do still notice that Volcarona is an issue, so in a matchup vs. it, prioritize keeping rocks on the field and keeping Greninja alive to revenge kill it. Other counterplay includes sacking Latios with memento (you outrun at +1) and brining in Marowak to kill it off. However, against zard, you now have an effective check; against stall, you have stallbreaker lele; and against offensive dark types and psychic spam, you have Celestella which can setup on dark/psychic attackers. Anyways I hope this rate helps and enjoy the new team!

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Top Lel (Tapu Lele) @ Twisted Spoon
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt

Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf/Defog
- Memento

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
Oh shoot I'm so sorry I haven't responded, I just hadn't noticed people commented on this. I read all the responses and they are all fantastic. Thanks you guys for all your time and ideas. I'm planning to hit the ladder with the updated team in the next few days

Hey man, it's nice to see that you are trying out a more balanced approach in the SM meta, despite bulky offense being the most prominent playstyle at the moment.
Looking at your team I see Marowak, Venusaur and Skarmory as your defensive backbone, which in theory cover a lot of common threats in the meta for each other. Rotom-W complements Fire/Water/Grass type presence and acts as the pivot, grabs momentum while bringing in the team's offsensive mons safely. Ash-Greninja and Tapu Lele are one of the best offensive Pokemon in the tier, but here is where I want to start, I have a few ideas on how to get the best out of your team.

(Sash)>

The first change I have in mind is Sash Dugtrio over Greninja.
Dugtrio provides enourmous support for your team's goals, which are winning with Venusaur with its bulk and longevity or sweeping with Tapu Lele. Duggi helps archieving those goals by trapping key defensive threats which are problematic to your team, for example Mega Metagross, AV Magearna, or Heatran. With Earthquake on Venusaur, you get the necessary damage on Metagross and Magearna, so that you can trap and eliminate them with Dugtrio. Elimination of these grounded Steels gives Tapu Lele a higher chance to sweep late game, and also removes the opponent's answers to Venusaur and Skamory. So what I did is removing one of your sweepers, Greninja, to make room for more support for your other sweeper which is Tapu Lele. Dugtrio is still very fast and a potent revenge killer or sweeper with its high speed tier and good base attack.
That's not the only thing it does for the team, Duggi can also deal with Charizard X. If it is at +1 after a DD, you have your Sash which allows you to Earthquake it, which brings it in range of Sucker Punch the next turn.
It also has the capability to trap Tyranitar as well as Bisharp and Weavile if your Sash is intact. These Dark-types threaten Marowak and Tapu Lele, if it's locked into the wrong move, so you can try to trap them with Duggi before they trap your mons. After their removal you can click Shadow Bone, as Ghost switchins are hard to fit on teams, and Psychic more freely.
With Stone Edge as the third move you can revenge Charizard-Y more easily and have at least some move to hit levitators and Flying-types.
With these moves Dugtrio covers all the threats you mentioned at the end of your rmt.
For the fourth move, I'll suggest Screech, because of its ability to weaken Chansey. You will face problems against stall with your current team, as you don't have a dedicated stallbreaker and Marowak can't touch Chansey with the current set. Screech lowers Chanseys defense by two stages, that way you can damage it severly after the drops. Removing Chansey will give Venusaur, Tapu Lele, and your other teammates a lot more room in the matchup against stall.
With Shed Shell Skarmory you now have more options, you can either hard switch into Duggi and eliminate AV Magnezone, which likes to come into Scarf Lele, or go Marowak, get Rocks or damage.
As for downsides to this change, there are not too many. You lose the strong priority move in Water Shuriken, but you can't use it in Psychic terrain late game with Lele as your second sweeper. Also, Greninja doesn't really offer any defensive support because of its frailty, and Dugtrio's role compression and support for this team exceeds what Greninja can offer to the team.

Next, I suggest to change your Marowak spread. You team needs more offensive pressure and the ability to dish out heavy damage to dent opposing teams. An Adamant nature with 184 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/68 Spe allows it to outspeed negative natured Celesteela and Hippowdown. With adamant Shadow Bone, you can pressure opposing teams a lot more, e.g. standard Tapu Fini gets 2HKOed, and Landorus can only switch in two or three times, and these two are one of the most prominent walls on bulky offense in SM OU. Fire Punch over Will-O-Wisp is a lot more useful here, since you want to be able to hit Steel types like Ferrothorn, which can otherwise set up Spikes, you can hit Chansey on Stall, and Celesteela and other Steels for super effective damage.
You should never really switch into the moves you mentioned in your calcs, you have other teammates to take those hits. The way you should use Marowak is to get it in on predicted electric attacks, e.g on Magearna or Tapu Koko. Then, if you like, with the help of Shed Shell Skarmory, or with Rotom's help. Rotom forces Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss in, so going for Volt Switch you will keep momentum and you can bring Marowak in safely. Afterwards you can proceed with dishing out damage with Shadow Bone or Fire Punch.
I'm not so happy with RestTalk on it, but if it's your favourite set, you can keep it.
If you are willing to change that, there is an other Route for your team.
Stealth Rock over Sleep Talk on Marowak frees you a moveslot on Skarmory. You can still keep Rest if you want, but that will probably only help you for longevity against stall, otherwise I suggest running Will-O-Wisp to cripple Landorus-T or Earthquake to hit Tyranitar and Toxapex on the switchin.

Because of the balanced nature of your team, you will make a lot of defensive switches, and the opponent can keep momentum through Volt Switch or U-Turn, e.g Tapu Koko, where you switch Venu, or Landorus and you switch Skarmory. In the long run, having no momentum will chip your team down due to hazards and damage from U-Turn and Volt Switch. To punish VoltTurn teams more, you should run Spikes on Skarmory.
Spikes also helps you wear down key defensive threats such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi. These are all switchins to Tapu Lele, so having Spikes on the field early and mid game will chip them down, when they swich in, that way Tapu Lele has better chances of sweeping late game. After getting the necessary damage on the checks and counters, you can defog the hazards away for Duggi's Sash which helps a lot latee game.

As for smaller moveset changes, I suggest running a 232 HP/180 Def/80 SpD/16 Spe with a Bold nature on Venu . The added physical bulk takes on Pheromosa, Landorus, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole and Charizard X better, while still doing well against special attacks from Ash and Protean Greninja, Charizard Y in Sun and Tapu Koko.

Rotom should run Pain Split over Toxic to help you pivot, keep momentum and bring in your threats throughout the whole game. You usually run Thunder Wave on Rotom for Charizard X, not Toxic, but now you have Duggi and added physical bulk on Venu to keep it in check, so it is not needed as much. The opponnent will probably use Defog on a Zard X team so your chances are good that the opponent will remove hazards before bringing it in, so the Sash on Duggi can be kept intact.

A Timid nature should be used to outspeed Pheromosa, +2 Magearna, Scarf Landorus and Excadrill, and to speedtie with other Tapu Lele. You should run HP Fire over Psyshock on Lele to beat Scizor late game in Psychic Terrain, or when predicting Steel types to come in. You can deal with Chansey with Marowak and Duggi better now. Focus Blast over Shadow Ball prevents you from getting trapped or doing no damage to Dark types and OHKOes or heavly damages them for Marowak, while being a good midground option against Steel-types.

Other threats:
Your team still weak to Specs Tapu Lele as you said, you can try to trap it with Dugtrio though, removing Psychics is important for Venusaur to win. Hoopa-U is also a threat to balance so you treat it the same way. Sub Coil Zygarde is really problematic, Lele can force it out, but you don't really want to take the damage. Venu also has defensive investment to take it on, but the Sub can only be broken with Modest max SpA, but you need the bulk on it so it's not worth it. You could run Whirlwind over Spikes on Skarmory to force it out, but then will leave Skarmory really passive and the team needs Spikes support to function optimally. If you think that your opponent will bring it in a tour game for example, you can give it a try. SD Rockium-Z Lando or Double Dance is also problematic, after an SD it will probably force you to sack a mon, so you need to be careful around it.
For Ash Greninja, you don't have a designated Dark switchin but Venusaur together with Rotom do well against it.
For Zard Y, you really have no switchins, but Venusaur can stall out the sun with Synthesis, still you generally don't want your PP wasted. Marowak OHKOes it 50% of the time with Shadow Bone, so it will force it out or kill it in a 1v1 situation, even if Marowak switched into Stealth Rock once.
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rest/Will-O-Wisp /Earthquake

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Earthquake

Careful Nature
- Spikes/Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Good luck and hmu if you have questions !

Edit: just found out Dugtrio is getting suspected. There is no non-Duggi meta yet, but if it happens to get banned in two weeks you can keep Ash-Greninja, but still change all the other stuff I mentioned. I'd personally use Protean Greninja here as your team needs a bit more breaking power, but I'll leave a comment here in your thread once the suspect test result is out.
Oh shoot I'm so sorry I haven't responded, I just hadn't noticed people commented on this. I read all the responses and they are all fantastic. Thanks you guys for all your time and ideas. I'm planning to hit the ladder with the updated team in the next few days

No problem! If you have any issues, questions or concerns feel free to hit up my wall!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)