Marvel v Capcom 3 discussion

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Get hyped! The gaming event of (the first two months of) the year is almost upon us! We are currently looking at a release date of Feb 15th for the US, and Feb 17-18th for EU and AU.

The Roster:

Marvel: Captain America, Deadpool, Dr. Doom, Dormammu, Hulk, Iron Man, Magneto, M.O.D.O.K, Phoenix (Jean Grey), Sentinel, She-Hulk, Spiderman, Storm, Super Skrull, Taskmaster, Thor, Wolverine and X-23 (with Shuma Gorath being DLC).

Capcom: Amaterasu, Akuma, Arthur, Chris Redfield, Chun Li, Dante, Felicia, Mike Haggar, Hsien-Ko, Morrigan, Nathan "Rad" Spencer, Ryu, Trish, Tron Bonne, Viewtiful Joe, C. Viper, Wesker, Zero (with Jill Valentine being DLC).
People who play MvC3 on Smogon (Forum username - Gamer Tag)

Steelicks - D Grease (Xbox)
makiri - superwing (Xbox)
Rodan. - mabw95 (Xbox)
TaiCrunch - Colt45Lando (Xbox)
mzenken - NGE KrazyTiger (Xbox)
Philip7086 - Philip7086 (Xbox)
moot - Blalocks (Xbox)
Veedrock - Veedrock (Xbox)
Huy - batpig519 (Xbox)

Kristoph - Thiediev (PSN)
CaptainKishimoto - CaptainKishimoto (PSN)
Eiganjo - JimmyMcWeaksauce (PSN)
PK Gaming - Goodstyle_7 (PSN)
Wikey - X2F0Y (PSN)
hobby - hobby3790 (PSN)
Sk - BradonHeat (PSN)
UPPERDECKER - nosison (PSN)

Personally I'm really amped for this game! My team so far is going to be Wolverine, Tron Bonne and Amaterasu (I only use characters I like, not really a competitive player or anything...)

What characters do you like or not like the look of? Who do you want in the final roster? Discuss away!

Way excited for this, probably gonna become my main fighting game since Blazblue isn't popular enough to sustain any sort of offline scene in the sad little midwest. =(

I've never played a Vs. game so I'll probably play around with all of the characters a lot, but Trish, Morrigan and Magneto look interesting. If Phoenix Wright becomes downloadable though, that's an instant main, guaranteed.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm at the odd balance in fighting games where I look online for strategies but don't practice enough to actually execute combos well, which allows me to win against casual players a good amount of the time without them getting frustrated, heh.

As for characters I look forward to using, I've always used Ryu and Wolvy and MvC games for fun, just 'cause I like the characters, but if Phoenix Wright comes out (or the whisperings of Franziska that I've been hearing) I'll definitely want to use them.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Plenty of Street Fighter characters? Not compared to MvC2 they don't. They are sadly lacking in X-Men as well.

This game was a must-buy for me as soon as Dante was announced, as Devil May Cry is one of my favourite series (alongside Fire Emblem). Not sure who else I might use yet, but I'm leaning towards Amaterasu and Zero.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
soooo... will this game also revolve around infinites? lol

also, was I the only one expecting Phoenix Wright when "Phoenix" was confirmed by Capcom?

edit: obsessed, you're thinking Street Fighter

soooo... will this game also revolve around infinites? lol

also, was I the only one expecting Phoenix Wright when "Phoenix" was confirmed by Capcom?

edit: obsessed, you're thinkign Street Fighter
I know that is Street Fighter 4, but I'd be willing to bet a small amount of money that they do the same thing with MVC3.

And yeah, I was hoping for Phoenix Wright. My guess is they couldn't think of a moveset for him. :(

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OBJECTION

HOLD IT

NOT SO FAST

I could think of tons of them for this guy...

Cool that Wesker is going to be in here. How he plays will be interesting. No Cyclops though? :(

OBJECTION

HOLD IT

NOT SO FAST

I could think of tons of them for this guy...
Ok so what would those three attacks actually do? Phoenix doesn't have any superhuman powers. Though with the magatama he could possibly use chains or something.

Maya could have been a character really easily. Just have her possessed by any one of the characters. It could either be random, or controlled by the player. Basically a copycat fighter.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DittoFighter

Type 1 or Type 3 preferably.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Uhm, I don't think Arthur had a lot of "material" to work from the game alone. Yeah, ok, he threw stuff and maybe slashed a few times but... that's it. It's a pretty old game. And it worked for him.

Ok so what would those three attacks actually do? Phoenix doesn't have any superhuman powers. Though with the magatama he could possibly use chains or something.
I was thinking sound based attacks, and how awesome would it be if the opposing player was HIT with the "Objection!" word bubble? Considering Deadpool hits you with his health bar and they so readily showed off that fact, I could totally see them do that.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm still wondering what team I shoulds be going with.
Since I played TvC i'm not going with zero, such a cheesy character :P
and most likely Frank West being ditched I need a replacement for him :P

Was thinking about a team of Spencer (if his assist is as good as Tekkaman's in TvC im up for him, I was thinking I might try Viper as well, even though I suck with her in SF4 XD and along with that, I don't know, MODOK shows a lot of promise, maybe Deadpool, I'll see it in a month or so when the game releases :P

Super Skrull looks really solid in this game. Sure, he'll be spammy as shit, but the full screen command grab + Thing hands + Inferno hypercombo looks soooo sweet. I'll probably mess around with him, Deadpool, Captain America, Zero, Wesker, Spider-Man, and Akuma (whose presence in the game has been "leaked" in the list of achievements but not yet confirmed).

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Akuma (whose presence in the game has been "leaked" in the list of achievements but not yet confirmed).
Akuma was also leaked in a screenshot of a review that was accidentally posted early. the review was hastily taken down but of course all it takes is a few seconds and its all over the internet

Archieved review can be seen here

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would have liked to see Silver Surfer, considering they included someone as obscure as Dormamu @_@

From what I have heard the major problem with Silver Surfer was not popularity or anything of the such, just that his surfboard was too awkward to properly incorporate or something like that. Not entirely sure if this is the truth, but it does sound somewhat plausible if you think about it.

There probably would have been more people with the same reaction as this, but Capcom deconfirmed Phoenix Wright a while ago, I don't think they gave a reason for it. While this is not solid proof (they have said at one point or another no more Shotos and no more Darkstalkers and yet it looks like we will end up with Akuma and Hsien-ko), it was at least enough to make Phoenix Wright the less likely option.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Except for Nemesis, if there were Characters that I would have liked in MvC2 it's because they didn't exist yet. Except for Phoenix Wright and Frank West, MvC3 has all the characters I ever asked for, plus Haggar and Phoenix who I really should have asked for.

And I hate the roster.

MvC2 was not the best fighting game ever made. Hell, I wasn't even good at it. But it grew out of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, my favorite comic mythos and my favorite video game mythos. Add some good characters from Marvel and DC, and hell, it had a big enough roster that I certainly need to like all of them anyway, and you've got the greatest cast in a fighting game ever.

The combination of characters I mained in MvC2 was vast, and only Wolverine has returned so far. This is not counting Not Jill, who along with Chris is a pathetic attempt to make RE5 more culturally relevant when they should have had original Jill and RE4 Leon. To put that into perspective, there are as many Resident Evil characters from ONE game, as there are Street Fighter characters from 2 different SF games. But then again, I'm not sure I want to dignify Spencer with even a mention.

On the Marvel side, why Storm and no Cyclops? Ok, most rational question out of the way, no Gambit and Psylocke makes me want to cry. Why do we have an original character from X-Men Evolution?

I'd complain about there being no Mega Man, but I'm really skeptical of that.

Then there were characters who I had no prior attachment to, but were just fun and awesome to play. Jin, Strider, and Hayato. I guess the games they come from are just not cool enough anymore. Unlike Bionic Commando.

I can't say I'll be picking up MvC3 but this is one of the funniest ways to stop rage-quitting I've ever seen (and it might actually work, too).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)