Doubles Mawile

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
approved by Mizuhime

QC approvals: [Audiosurfer, Mizuhime, Darkmalice]
GP checks: [Muk, Ender]

Overview
########

Known for its monstrous power, Mega Mawile storms into this generation with an already decent base 105 Attack stat, which, when coupled with its ability, Huge Power, makes it the strongest Pokemon in the game. However, power isn't the only thing it has. Its two STAB attacks, Play Rough and Iron Head, offer it strong neutral coverage against a large portion of the tier, and its Sucker Punch makes even faster threats fall. It has nine resistances, two immunities, and a useful ability in Intimidate that will soften physical blows before Mawile Mega Evolves, increasing its overall bulk. Due to its low Speed, it works very well in Trick Room, but because of its powerful Sucker Punch, Mega Mawile also works well outside of it. Unfortunately, it is threatened by the many Ground- and Fire-type attacks in Doubles, and despite its raw power, it is often unable to muscle past the Fire- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It also has terrible stats prior to Mega Evolution, making it vulnerable as it switches in or before it Mega Evolves. However, Mega Mawile is still a very powerful Pokemon that can easily rip unprepared teams apart and that must always be accounted for while teambuilding.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Play Rough
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Iron Head / Substitute / Swords Dance
move 4: Protect
ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
item: Mawilite
evs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 40 Def / 36 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Brave

Moves
========

Play Rough is a powerful, decently accurate STAB attack which decimates Dragon-, Fighting-, and Dark-types, while maintaining strong neutral coverage otherwise. Sucker Punch picks off weakened Pokemon that might be faster (or slower in Trick Room). Iron Head is a perfectly accurate secondary STAB attack that hits Fairy-, Rock-, and Ice-types hard. Substitute can also be used in this slot to take advantage of openings and protect Mega Mawile from chip damage and status attacks. Swords Dance can be used instead to give Mega Mawile a means of boosting its already high Attack stat to the point where it can easily cut through opposing teams with Play Rough and Sucker Punch. Protect should be used in the last slot because it shields Mawile from damage while still allowing its partner to attack, making it a very useful move in Doubles.

Set Details
========

Mawilite is the obvious item to allow Mawile to Mega Evolve into the much more powerful and viable Mega Mawile. Mawile's HP is maximized so it can tank as many attacks as possible. 40 EVs are put into Defense to allow it to survive Life Orb Garchomp's Earthquake and -1 Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz after spread reduction. 36 EVs are put into Special Defense so it can survive Heatran's Heat Wave after spread reduction and Choice Specs Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. The rest of the EVs and the Brave nature make Mega Mawile as powerful as possible. Speed is minimized with an IV of 0 and a Brave nature to make Mega Mawile as fast as possible under Trick Room. A faster spread of 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Spe EVs with a Speed IV of 31 and an Adamant nature can be used to outspeed Pokemon such as 0 Spe Tyranitar and Scrafty outside of Trick Room. Intimidate should be used as the initial ability to allow Mawile to soften the opponent's blows while it Mega Evolves. Hyper Cutter can also be used so that Mega Mawile will ignore the effect of opposing Intimidate, but Intimidate is generally the better option, as it provides Mega Mawile with more bulk, and Mega Mawile can usually still deal solid amounts of damage, even after a single Attack drop.

Usage Tips
========

With this set, Mega Mawile aims to remove Pokemon that threaten its team. There are two ways to play with Mawile. The first is conservatively, waiting before Mega Evolving it and switching it in and out frequently by utilizing its resistances and immunities, such that its initial ability, Intimidate, can be utilized as much as possible. Then, once the opposing team is thoroughly weakened, Mawile can Mega Evolve and proceed to use its humongous power to deal heavy blows. The other way to play with Mawile is to save it for a late-game sweep, which is the only time Hyper Cutter should ever be used. A Mawile using this playstyle is reliant on team support, as it relies a lot on Trick Room and requires that its typical checks and counters are taken care of; however, this Mawile can easily sweep when played correctly. For both playstyles, it is always helpful to get Trick Room up, as it greatly boosts Mega Mawile's offensive presence, turning it into a bulky, powerful, and fast threat in just one turn. Because of its power, it is extremely difficult to switch into Mega Mawile, as even Intimidate users will take a lot of damage when hit by a neutral attack. This can be taken advantage of, as Mega Mawile can bait physical walls and weaken them or even muscle past them with Swords Dance. It's very helpful to remove Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp users early so there is nothing to obstruct Mawile's sweep. While using Mawile, timing Protect well is important, because Mawile will often be double targeted. However, don't use Protect too much under Trick Room, as it will waste the Trick Room turn.

Team Options
========

This set works best with Trick Room support, so Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, Chandelure, and Jellicent make great partners. These Pokemon also all have pretty good synergy with Mawile. Cresselia can switch into Ground-type moves, and Chandelure and Jellicent easily sponge Fire-type attacks. Wide Guard support is also useful because the most common Ground- and Fire-type moves, Heat Wave and Earthquake, are spread attacks and can be blocked by it. Hitmontop is a great partner, as it is able to provide Wide Guard support, Intimidate to form a dual Intimidate core, Fake Out to buy Mawile turns to set up, powerful Close Combats to knock down Steel-types, and Feint to break opposing Protect so Mawile doesn't waste valuable Trick Room turns. Thunder Wave and other forms of Speed control also support Mawile well. Thundurus is a potential teammate that can spread Thunder Wave quickly and reliably for Mawile while it takes care of Rock- and Ice-types in return. Rotom-W can support Mawile with both Thunder Wave and Electroweb as well as counter Ground- and Fire-types while Mawile beats Grass-types and weakens physical attackers for it. Keldeo can offer Icy Wind and check Ground- and Fire-types while Mega Mawile takes on Fairy-types. Other bulkier Water-types such as Gyarados and Suicune are good partners because they easily counter Ground- and Fire-type attacks while baiting Grass-types for Mawile to set up on. Rain teams are a good environment for Mawile as well. Dragon-types are often immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily sponge Fire-type attacks, while Mega Mawile can cover their Dragon-, Ice-, and Fairy-type weaknesses.

Other Options
########

Knock Off can be used as a more reliable Dark-type attack to hit Steel- and Fire-types neutrally and powerfully. Fire Fang is an option for hitting Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor super effectively. Brick Break can be used to hit Steel-types immune to Fire Fang, such as Heatran, while Rock Slide and Stone Edge can be used to hit Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y. Ice Punch can be useful for Landorus-T, a common switch-in to Mawile. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from using non-damaging moves such as Trick Room or Will-O-Wisp. Misty Terrain can be used to support both Mawile and its teammates, making Mawile immune to status. Outside of these, Mawile has a small usable movepool without many other options. Any other options that are used should be substituted into the third slot, as the first two attacks are too valuable to give up.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Steel-types can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks due to their resistance to both of its STAB moves. Heatran is the best Mega Mawile counter, as it 4x resists both of its STAB attacks and can KO it with Heat Wave. Excadrill is also a fine counter, as it can also OHKO Mega Mawile with Earthquake. Ferrothorn can beat Mawile one-on-one by wearing it down with Leech Seed and Iron Barbs. Scizor can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks and use it as setup bait. However, Scizor must watch out for Fire Fang, Heatran is weak to Brick Break, and Ferrothorn and Excadrill are susceptible to both. Fire-types, like Steel-types resist Mawile's STAB attacks and are similarly great at countering Mega Mawile. Mega Charizard Y can easily OHKO Mawile with any STAB attack. Rotom-H is bulky enough to shrug off multiple Sucker Punches and can burn Mawile with Will-O-Wisp or OHKO it with Overheat.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp or Intimidate such as Rotom-W and Landorus-T are good checks to Mawile. Landorus-T can also hit Mega Mawile hard with a super effective STAB Earthquake, though it just misses the OHKO. Keep in mind that a burn will only cancel out Huge Power, so Mawile's attacks will still hit with the force of base 105 Attack. Because of this, even these bulky Pokemon should only be switching in on resisted hits. Faster users of Substitute can play around Sucker Punch and set up for free.

**Miscellaneous**: Defiant users such as Bisharp can take advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability, grab an Attack boost, and hit back very powerfully. Bisharp can deal a huge chunk of damage with a +1 Life Orb Iron Head, and it doesn't mind sponging an Iron Head or Sucker Punch in return. However, it has to be careful, as Mega Mawile can OHKO it with Play Rough, while Bisharp cannot OHKO in return, even at +1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, this is written and ready for QC.

Ultimathunder was missing some things, so I added them myself. Willing to hear multiple opinions before marking this done and sending off to GP so hit me up if you see something out of order

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Knock Off is pretty baller on Mawile and probably deserves a mention somewhere. It smacks Heatran on the switch and does major damage to Cresselia that it can't exactly shrug off (especially when you remove its Sitrus Berry!). It's also fucking Knock Off. You pretty much can't have a battle where it doesn't have some use.

180+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 240-284 (54 - 63.9%)
Considering nobody uses max/max Bold Cress this is awesome.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Ok I mentioned Knock Off in Moves but I didn't slash it in because no QC approval on the subject.

Tbh I think it can stay where I put it; Sucker Punch is way too important to give up for a chance to dent Heatran / Cress, and slot 3 is too full. Some things are best left for partners, no?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
It has a lot of bulk as well, nine resistances and two immunities, and a useful ability in Intimidate that will soften physical blows before Mawile Mega Evolves.
It doesn't have a lot of bulk, only good bulk. It's more that it's awesome typing combined with Intimidate boosts it from "good" to "great." It isn't that great otherwise - it takes a chunk from Electric-type and Water-type attacks for example

Due to its low Speed, it works very well in Trick Room, but works well out of it also.
I know what you mean, but how this is worded is misleading as it suggests that mawile works well outside of TR due to its low speed. It needs to be worded better.

I'd like a mention that despite its raw power, it can be walled by Steel-types and Fire-types as they resist both its STABs

Also, end the Overview without something like despite its flaws it's still excellent or somthing like that, as Mawile is a very good Pokemon.

Set comments
Mention that Play Rough has strong neutral coverage

One of the key factors of Iron Head is that its a 100% accurate STAB, unlike Play Rough, but with nearly the same power. I would mention this

Hyper Cutter can also be used so that Mega Mawile will ignore the effect of opposing Intimidate.
I'd add something afterwards like though Intimidate is generally more useful afterwards. Mawile still hits hard even at -1, and it really does enjoy Intimidate

Usage tips
This was well written. Few nitpicks

he first is conservatively, waiting before Mega Evolving it and switching it in and out frequently, such that its initial ability, Intimidate, can be utilized as much as possible.
You can add that you switch it in and out by utilising its resists and immunities

The other way to play with Mawile is to save it for a late game sweep, in which case Hyper Cutter is probably the better ability
I'd change the latter part to state that Hyper Cutter should only be considered on a Mawile designed for a late game sweep. I disagree with stating hyper Cutter is the better ability - it's arguable. I could argue that Intimidate lets Mawile take a hit better to help it stay alive for a late game sweep and that you should be aiming to eliminate or weaken your opponent's Intimidate users before starting a sweep. You could argue that Hyper Cutter very helpful against a weakened Landoge to keep it within Sucker Punch range, but I could also argue that switching in Mawile after a KO with Intimidate lets it comfortable sponge an EQ and potentially OHKO back (I've done it before)
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Mega Mawile: 152-182 (50 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I feel there's no clear answer as to Hyper cutter or Intimidate is better late game, but throughout the whole game, Intimidate is clearly better.

For both playstyles, it is always important to get Trick Room up,
very helpful but not always important. It can been used on many non-TR teams with great success.

Team options

When mentioning Rotom-W, also mention that ROtom-W checks Fire-types. I'd also mention Dragons with an immunity to EQ as they can switch into Ground- and Fire-type attacks (Latios and Hydrieogn for example), and in return, Mawile can switch into Dragon-type, Ice-type, and Fairy-type attacks aimed at the Dragons.

OO
I feel that Fire Fang and Brick Break could be more fleshed out so that a better comparison is drawn between the two, as both are meant for Steel-types

Ok I mentioned Knock Off in Moves but I didn't slash it in because no QC approval on the subject.

Tbh I think it can stay where I put it; Sucker Punch is way too important to give up for a chance to dent Heatran / Cress, and slot 3 is too full. Some things are best left for partners, no?
OO Knock Off

If I were to use it, I would actually use it in slot 3 as none of those moves are needed but Play Rough, Sucker Punch and Protect are mandatory. Knock Off is useful as an option for resists against Play Rough and when priority isn't needed, but it's not set worthy.

Add Taunt and Misty Terrain. They were missed in Ultimathunder's write-up.
nollan said:
  • Taunt can shut down Will-O-Wisp and opposing speed control, which is always nice, while guaranteeing Sucker Punch will land apart from a switch
  • Ice Punch is situational, but it allows you to rip apart Landorus-T, which is a fairly common switch in to Mawile
  • Misty Terrain works like Safeguard for Grounded Pokemon which allows Mawile to avoid burns, and it also weakens Dragon-type attacks which is nice if your team has a lot of trouble with those
I feel it's worth mentioning that OO options should usually go in slot 3 as the other 3 moves are too good to pass up.

Checks nd counters

Most commonly Steel-types and Fire-types beat Mega Mawile 1v1 and this should be mentioned. Then go on to talk about specific Steel-types and Fire types - it'll flow better. Specifc steel-types like Excadrill with your reasons, also mention Ferrothorn due to Iron Barbs and using Mawile as Leech Seed set up bait and Scizor for setting up SD against it. Then Fire-types (Mega Zard Y, Rotom-H). Also mention at the end that Steel-tyes have to beware a potential Fire Fang or Brick Break, and Fire-types a potentail Rock SLide or Stone Edge

Stress that Heatran is the #1 counter. Not only due to its dual STAB resists, but it sets up SUbstitute on Mawile avoiding Sucker Punch in the process.
Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate users such as Rotom-W and Landorus-T are good switch-ins to Mawile.
-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 204-240 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

They're not really good switch ins as they take lots of damage from Play Rough (Rotom-W especailly, it's nearly OHKOed!). Rather, Rotom-W can switch in as long as it avoids Play Rough, and Landoge should not really be taking a hit when coming in.

Also add a separate tag for Defiant, as it gets a boost from Initimidate. Bisharp can deal a lot of damage to Mawile with a Defiant boost, though it won't OHKO and Mawile oHKoes back with Play Rough

Once this is all done, I can gives this the last QC approval

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In Set details, say that Mega Mawile isn't too hindered by an Attakc drop as opposed to not minding the Attack drop. I mislead you when I said it still hits hard at -1 - it does, but it doesn't like Intimidate either. What I was trying to say is that even though it doesn't like it, it still has good power at -1.

In counteres

However, all of these Pokemon must watch out for Brick Break and/or Fire Fang.
Heatran doesn't fear Fire Fang, Scizor doesn't fear Brick Break

Remove Gyarados in counters. It's encompassed under Intimidate users, and it's lone sentence suggests it's a better answer than Landorus-T. If you want to replace it with something, you can mention that Landorus-T does hit it super-effectively with EQ coming close to a OHKO, dealing over 75% damage minimum.

You need to mention that Bisharp is OHKOed by Play Rough and whilst Iron Head does deal a large chunk of damage it doesn't OHKO

After all this

QC 3/3

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
One more thing

Change **Attack Control** to **Intimidate and Burns** - the general consensus is that Attack control sounds lame

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
O, nice team electro buddy, I think you should try this set as well:

Iron Head
Swords Dance
Knock off/sucker punch
Protect

Play Rough is used for Dark, dragon and fighting pokemons, however iron head ohko's everything, sucker punch can be used to kill Talonflame, however knock off can be used to kill heatran, not letting other's go into subsitute or get us paralyzed, burned etc, It's a good move used by mawile in OU too, sucker punch is used more though, both of them are good, swords dance is one of mawile's most important move, protect can help to against fire, ground pokemons, you can protect with mawile then sucker punch the next turn, knock off and sucker punch have their own roles, so try using both of them, sweet team and good luck with it. :]

Darkmalice

Level 3
O, nice team electro buddy, I think you should try this set as well:

Iron Head
Swords Dance
Knock off/sucker punch
Protect

Play Rough is used for Dark, dragon and fighting pokemons, however iron head ohko's everything, sucker punch can be used to kill Talonflame, however knock off can be used to kill heatran, not letting other's go into subsitute or get us paralyzed, burned etc, It's a good move used by mawile in OU too, sucker punch is used more though, both of them are good, swords dance is one of mawile's most important move, protect can help to against fire, ground pokemons, you can protect with mawile then sucker punch the next turn, knock off and sucker punch have their own roles, so try using both of them, sweet team and good luck with it. :]
This is past the QC stage, after which we're very reluctant to add new things to the analysis.

Besides, with your set, everything that you've mentioned is either mentioned on the analysis already e.g. Protect, Knock Off (in Other Options) or is incorrect e.g. killing Heatran with Knock Off, who will beat you regardless. Play Rough does more damage than Iron Head against more things, and is a better STAB than Iron Head due to its better coverage and power, and iron Head most certainly doesn't kill everything. Swords Dance pairs better with Play Rough.

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
This is past the QC stage, after which we're very reluctant to add new things to the analysis.

Besides, with your set, everything that you've mentioned is either mentioned on the analysis already e.g. Protect, Knock Off (in Other Options) or is incorrect e.g. killing Heatran with Knock Off, who will beat you regardless. Play Rough does more damage than Iron Head against more things, and is a better STAB than Iron Head due to its better coverage and power, and iron Head most certainly doesn't kill everything. Swords Dance pairs better with Play Rough.
I agree with you, but i have never seen any pokemon survive iron head.

lol

add/change
remove
comments

Electrolyte

I didn't change much of this (if any), but you sort of use Mawile and Mega Mawile interchangeably. Personally, I'd just refer to it as Mawile unless I was specifically talking about it Mega Evolving. I also recommend looking up the difference between a check and a counter lol (unless it's different in doubles or something).

Overview
########

Known for its monstrous power, Mega Mawile storms into the new generation with an already decent base 105 Attack stat, which, when coupled with its ability, Huge Power, makes it the strongest Pokemon in the game. Power isn't the only thing it has, either. Its two STAB attacks, Play Rough and Iron Head, offer it strong neutral coverage against a large portion of the tier, and its access to priority Sucker Punch makes even faster threats fall. It has nine resistances, two immunities, and a useful ability in Intimidate that will soften physical blows before Mawile Mega Evolves, increasing its overall bulk. Due to its low Speed, it works very well in Trick Room, but because of its powerful priority Sucker Punch, Mega Mawile works well outside of it also. Unfortunately, it is threatened by the many Ground- and Fire-type attacks in Doubles, and despite its raw power, it is often unable to muscle past the Fire- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It also has terrible stats prior to Mega Evolution, making it susceptible (to what?) as it switches in or before it Mega Evolves. However, Mega Mawile is still a very powerful Pokemon that can easily rip unprepared teams apart and that must always be accounted for while teambuilding.

Bulky Attacker
########

Moves
========

Play Rough is a powerful, decently accurate STAB attack which decimates Dragon-, Fighting-, and Dark-types and has strong neutral coverage otherwise. Sucker Punch picks off weakened Pokemon that might be faster (or slower in Trick Room). Iron Head is a perfectly accurate secondary STAB attack that hits other Fairy-, Rock-, and Ice-types hard. Substitute can also be used in this slot to take advantage of openings and protect Mega Mawile from chip damage and status attacks. Swords Dance can be used instead to give Mega Mawile a means of boosting its already high Attack stat to the point where it can easily just cut through opposing teams with Play Rough and Sucker Punch. For the last slot, Protect should be used. It is a very useful move in Doubles, as it lets Mawile's partner attack while moves targeting Mawile will fail.

Set Details
========

Mawilite is the obvious item to allow Mawile to Mega Evolve into the much more powerful and viable Mega Mawile. Mawile's HP is maximized so it can tank as many attacks as possible. 40 EVs are put into Defense to allow it to survive Life Orb Garchomp's Earthquake and -1 Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz after spread reduction. 36 EVs are put into Special Defense so it can survive Heatran's Heat Wave after spread reduction and Choice Specs Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. The rest of the EVs and the Brave nature make Mega Mawile as powerful as possible. Speed is minimized with an IV of 0 and a Brave nature to make Mega Mawile as fast as possible under Trick Room. A faster spread of 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Spe EVs with a Speed IV of 31 and an Adamant nature can be used to outspeed Pokemon such as 0 Spe Tyranitar and Scrafty outside of Trick Room. Intimidate should be used as the initial ability to allow Mawile to soften the opponent's blows while it Mega Evolves. Hyper Cutter can also be used so that Mega Mawile will ignore the effect of opposing Intimidate, but Intimidate is generally the better option as it provides Mega Mawile with more bulk, and Mega Mawile can usually still deal solid amounts of damage even after a single Attack drop.

Usage Tips
========

With this set, Mega Mawile aims to remove Pokemon that threaten its team. There are two ways to play with Mawile. The first is conservatively, waiting before Mega Evolving it and switching it in and out frequently by utilizing its resistances and immunities, such that its initial ability, Intimidate, can be utilized as much as possible. Then, once the opposing team is thoroughly weakened, Mawile can Mega Evolve and proceed to use its humongous power to deal heavy blows. The other way to play with Mawile is to save it for a late-game sweep, which is the only time Hyper Cutter should ever be used. A Mawile using this playstyle is reliant on team support, as it relies a lot on Trick Room and requires that its typical checks and counters are taken care of, but when played correctly it can also easily sweep. For both playstyles, it is always helpful to get Trick Room up, as it greatly boosts Mega Mawile's offensive presence, turning it into a bulky, powerful, and fast threat in just one turn. Because of its power, it is extremely difficult to switch into Mega Mawile, as even Intimidate users will take a lot of damage when hit by a neutral attack. This should be taken advantage of, (AC) as Mega Mawile can bait in physical walls and weaken them or even muscle past them with Swords Dance. It's very helpful to remove Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp users and opponents early so there is nothing to obstruct Mawile's sweep. While using Mawile, timing Protect well is important, because Mawile will often be double targeted. However, don't use Protect too much under Trick Room, as it will waste the Trick Room turn.

Team Options
========

This set works best with Trick Room support, so Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, Chandelure, and Jellicent make great partners. These Pokemon all have pretty good synergy with Mawile as well. Cresselia can switch into Ground-type moves, and Chandelure and Jellicent easily sponge Fire-type attacks. Wide Guard support is also useful, because the most common Ground- and Fire-type moves, Heat Wave and Earthquake, are spread attacks and can be blocked by the move. Hitmontop is a great partner, able to provide Wide Guard, Intimidate to form a dual Intimidate core, Fake Out to buy Mawile turns to set up, powerful Close Combats to knock down Steel-types, and Feint to break opposing Protect so Mawile doesn't waste valuable Trick Room turns. Thunder Wave and other forms of Speed control also support Mawile well. Thundurus is a potential teammate that can spread Thunder Wave quickly and reliably for Mawile while it takes care of Rock- and Ice-types in return. Rotom-W can support Mawile with both Thunder Wave and Electroweb as well as counter Ground- and Fire-types while Mawile beats Grass-types and weakens physical attackers for it. Keldeo can offer Icy Wind and check Ground- and Fire-types while Mega Mawile takes on Fairy-types. Other bulkier Water-types and rain teams in general such as Gyarados and Suicune are good partners because they easily counter Ground- and Fire-type attacks while baiting in Grass-types for Mawile to set up on. Rain teams in general are a good environment for Mawile as well. Dragon-types are often immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily sponge Fire-type attacks, while Mega Mawile can cover their Dragon-, Ice-, and Fairy-type weaknesses.

Other Options
########

Knock Off can be used as a more reliable Dark-type attack to hit Steel- and Fire-types neutrally and powerfully. Fire Fang is an option for hitting Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor super effectively. Brick Break can be used to hit Steel-types immune to Fire Fang, such as Heatran, while Rock Slide and Stone Edge can be used to hit Fire-types like Mega Charizard Y. Ice Punch can be useful for Landorus-T, a common switch-in to Mawile. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from using non-damaging moves like Trick Room or Will-O-Wisp. Misty Terrain can be used to support both Mawile and its teammates, making Mawile immune to status. Outside of these, Mawile has a small usable (spelling is up to you) movepool without many other options. Any other options that are used should be substituted into the third slot, as the first two attacks are too valuable to give up.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Steel-types can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks due to their resistance to both of its STAB moves. Heatran is the best Mega Mawile counter, as it 4x resists both of its STAB attacks and can easily OHKO it with Heat Wave (don't the SpD EVs on the set stop Heatran's Heat Wave from OHKOing?). Excadrill is also a fine counter, as it too can OHKO Mega Mawile with Earthquake. Ferrothorn can beat Mawile one-on-one by wearing it down with Leech Seed and Iron Barbs. Scizor can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks and use it as setup bait. However, Scizor must watch out for Fire Fang, Heatran is weak to Brick Break, and Ferrothorn and Excadrill are susceptible to both. Fire-types, like Steel-types, resist Mawile's STAB attacks and are great at countering Mega Mawile as well. Mega Charizard Y can easily OHKO Mawile with any STAB attack. Rotom-H is bulky enough to shrug off multiple Sucker Punches and can burn Mawile with Will-O-Wisp or OHKO it with Overheat.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp or Intimidate users such as Rotom-W and Landorus-T are good checks to Mawile. Landorus-T can also hit Mega Mawile hard with a super effective STAB Earthquake, just missing the OHKO but coming very close. Keep in mind that a burn will only cancel out Huge Power, so Mawile's attacks will still hit with the force of a base 105 Attack. Because of this, even these bulky Pokemon should only be switching in on resisted hits. Faster users of Substitute can play around Sucker Punch and set up for free. (you may want to give this its own section)

**Defiant**: Defiant users such as Bisharp can take advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability, grab an Attack boost, and hit back very powerfully. Bisharp can deal a huge chunk of damage with a +1 Life Orb Iron Head, and it doesn't mind sponging an Iron Head or Sucker Punch in return. However, it has to be careful, as Mega Mawile can OHKO it with Play Rough, while Bisharp cannot OHKO with anything in return, even at +1.[/quote]

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
2/2

Good to go! Nice work.

Overview
########

Known for its monstrous power, Mega Mawile storms into this the new generation with an already decent base 105 Attack stat, which, when coupled with its ability, Huge Power, makes it the strongest Pokemon in the game. However, [comma] Power isn't the only thing it has [removed ,] either. Its two STAB attacks, Play Rough and Iron Head, offer it strong neutral coverage against a large portion of the tier, and its Sucker Punch makes even faster threats fall. It has nine resistances, two immunities, and a useful ability in Intimidate that will soften physical blows before Mawile Mega Evolves, increasing its overall bulk. Due to its low Speed, it works very well in Trick Room, but because of its powerful Sucker Punch, Mega Mawile also works well outside of it also. Unfortunately, it is threatened by the many Ground- and Fire-type attacks in Doubles, and despite its raw power, it is often unable to muscle past the Fire- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It also has terrible stats prior to Mega Evolution, making it vulnerable as it switches in or before it Mega Evolves. However, Mega Mawile is still a very powerful Pokemon that can easily rip unprepared teams apart and that must always be accounted for while teambuilding.

Bulky Attacker
########

Moves
========

Play Rough is a powerful, decently accurate STAB attack which decimates Dragon-, Fighting-, and Dark-types,[comma] while maintaining and has strong neutral coverage otherwise. Sucker Punch picks off weakened Pokemon that might be faster (or slower in Trick Room). Iron Head is a perfectly accurate secondary STAB attack that hits Fairy-, Rock-, and Ice-types hard. Substitute can also be used in this slot to take advantage of openings and protect Mega Mawile from chip damage and status attacks. Swords Dance can be used instead to give Mega Mawile a means of boosting its already high Attack stat to the point where it can easily cut through opposing teams with Play Rough and Sucker Punch. For the last slot, Protect should be used. Protect should be used in the last slot because It is a very useful move in Doubles, as it shields Mawile from damage while still allowing lets Mawile's its partner to attack, [comma] while moves targeting Mawile will fail making it a very useful move in Doubles.

Set Details
========

Mawilite is the obvious item to allow Mawile to Mega Evolve into the much more powerful and viable Mega Mawile. Mawile's HP is maximized so it can tank as many attacks as possible. 40 EVs are put into Defense to allow it to survive Life Orb Garchomp's Earthquake and -1 Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz after spread reduction. 36 EVs are put into Special Defense so it can survive Heatran's Heat Wave after spread reduction and Choice Specs Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. The rest of the EVs and the Brave nature make Mega Mawile as powerful as possible. Speed is minimized with an IV of 0 and a Brave nature to make Mega Mawile as fast as possible under Trick Room. A faster spread of 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Spe EVs with a Speed IV of 31 and an Adamant nature can be used to outspeed Pokemon such as 0 Spe Tyranitar and Scrafty outside of Trick Room. Intimidate should be used as the initial ability to allow Mawile to soften the opponent's blows while it Mega Evolves. Hyper Cutter can also be used so that Mega Mawile will ignore the effect of opposing Intimidate, but Intimidate is generally the better option, [comma] as it provides Mega Mawile with more bulk, and Mega Mawile can usually still deal solid amounts of damage, [comma] even after a single Attack drop.

Usage Tips
========

With this set, Mega Mawile aims to remove Pokemon that threaten its team. There are two ways to play with Mawile. The first is conservatively, waiting before Mega Evolving it and switching it in and out frequently by utilizing its resistances and immunities, such that its initial ability, Intimidate, can be utilized as much as possible. Then, once the opposing team is thoroughly weakened, Mawile can Mega Evolve and proceed to use its humongous power to deal heavy blows. The other way to play with Mawile is to save it for a late-game sweep, which is the only time Hyper Cutter should ever be used. A Mawile using this playstyle is reliant on team support, as it relies a lot on Trick Room and requires that its typical checks and counters are taken care of; [, to ;] however, this Mawile can easily sweep when played correctly but when played correctly it can also easily sweep. For both playstyles, it is always helpful to get Trick Room up, as it greatly boosts Mega Mawile's offensive presence, turning it into a bulky, powerful, and fast threat in just one turn. Because of its power, it is extremely difficult to switch into Mega Mawile, as even Intimidate users will take a lot of damage when hit by a neutral attack. This should can be taken advantage of, as Mega Mawile can bait in physical walls and weaken them or even muscle past them with Swords Dance. It's very helpful to remove Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp users early so there is nothing to obstruct Mawile's sweep. While using Mawile, timing Protect well is important, because Mawile will often be double targeted. However, don't use Protect too much under Trick Room, as it will waste the Trick Room turn.

Team Options
========

This set works best with Trick Room support, so Trick Room setters such as Cresselia, Chandelure, and Jellicent make great partners. These Pokemon also all have pretty good synergy with Mawile as well. Cresselia can switch into Ground-type moves, and Chandelure and Jellicent easily sponge Fire-type attacks. Wide Guard support is also useful [removed ,] because the most common Ground- and Fire-type moves, Heat Wave and Earthquake, are spread attacks and can be blocked by it the move. Hitmontop is a great partner, as it is able to provide Wide Guard support, Intimidate to form a dual Intimidate core, Fake Out to buy Mawile turns to set up, unleash powerful Close Combats to knock down Steel-types, and Feint to break opposing Protect so Mawile doesn't waste valuable Trick Room turns. [I found this sentence confusing because some moves are used as verbs while others are used as nouns, so I changed it as best I could. If you can find a more efficient way to clarify it, go for it] Thunder Wave and other forms of Speed control also support Mawile well. Thundurus is a potential teammate that can spread Thunder Wave quickly and reliably for Mawile while it takes care of Rock- and Ice-types in return. Rotom-W can support Mawile with both Thunder Wave and Electroweb as well as counter Ground- and Fire-types while Mawile beats Grass-types and weakens physical attackers for it. Keldeo can offer Icy Wind and check Ground- and Fire-types while Mega Mawile takes on Fairy-types. Other bulkier Water-types such as Gyarados and Suicune are good partners because they easily counter Ground- and Fire-type attacks while baiting in Grass-types for Mawile to set up on. Rain teams in general are a good environment for Mawile as well. Dragon-types are often immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily sponge Fire-type attacks, while Mega Mawile can cover their Dragon-, Ice-, and Fairy-type weaknesses.

Other Options
########

Knock Off can be used as a more reliable Dark-type attack to hit Steel- and Fire-types neutrally and powerfully. Fire Fang is an option for hitting Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor super effectively. Brick Break can be used to hit Steel-types immune to Fire Fang, such as Heatran, while Rock Slide and Stone Edge can be used to hit Fire-types such as like Mega Charizard Y. Ice Punch can be useful for Landorus-T, a common switch-in to Mawile. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from using non-damaging moves such as like Trick Room or Will-O-Wisp. Misty Terrain can be used to support both Mawile and its teammates, making Mawile immune to status. Outside of these, Mawile has a small usable movepool without many other options. [Not really necessary, but if you're really attached to this sentence, you can keep it] Any other options that are used should be substituted into the third slot, as the first two attacks are too valuable to give up.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Steel-types can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks due to their resistance to both of its STAB moves. Heatran is the best Mega Mawile counter, as it 4x resists both of its STAB attacks and can KO it with Heat Wave. Excadrill is also a fine counter, as it too can also OHKO Mega Mawile with Earthquake. Ferrothorn can beat Mawile one-on-one by wearing it down with Leech Seed and Iron Barbs. Scizor can shrug off Mega Mawile's attacks and use it as setup bait. However, Scizor must watch out for Fire Fang, Heatran is weak to Brick Break, and Ferrothorn and Excadrill are susceptible to both. Fire-types, like Steel-types, resist Mawile's STAB attacks and are similarly great at countering Mega Mawile as well. Mega Charizard Y can easily OHKO Mawile with any STAB attack. Rotom-H is bulky enough to shrug off multiple Sucker Punches and can burn Mawile with Will-O-Wisp or OHKO it with Overheat.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp or Intimidate such as Rotom-W and Landorus-T are good checks to Mawile. Landorus-T can also hit Mega Mawile hard with a super effective STAB Earthquake, though it just misses the OHKO just missing the OHKO but coming very close. Keep in mind that a burn will only cancel out Huge Power, so Mawile's attacks will still hit with the force of base 105 Attack. Because of this, even these bulky Pokemon should only be switching in on resisted hits. Faster users of Substitute can play around Sucker Punch and set up for free.

**Defiant**: Defiant users such as Bisharp can take advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability, grab an Attack boost, and hit back very powerfully. Bisharp can deal a huge chunk of damage with a +1 Life Orb Iron Head, and it doesn't mind sponging an Iron Head or Sucker Punch in return. However, it has to be careful, as Mega Mawile can OHKO it with Play Rough, while Bisharp cannot OHKO with anything in return, even at +1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)