XY Doubles Mega Abomasnow Semi Trick Room Team

I've played Pokemon for a good long while now, but only competitively for the last year or so, and only ever in Singles OU or NU. This is my first Doubles team. I've played around with many different styles, but I kept coming back to one idea: Trick Room. I always loved the slow, incredibly bulky 'Mon, but full trick room teams never turned out well for me. When Mega Abomasnow was released, you can guess my excitement. This team uses Trick Room assault with M-Abomasnow and Slowking to destroy as much of the other team as possible, and it uses the other 4 'mon to pick up the pieces of the opposing team. It may seem gimmicky, but it actually is very effective and incredibly fun to play with. Now, albeit, my games are always bloodbaths, but it's tons of fun to play.
Mega_Abomasnow.png

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Energy Ball
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball

My pride and joy, Mega Abomasnow. He's a suicide lead, and a dang good one at that. I don't evolve him until the second turn, because I use protect the first turn, and should they use megazardY, I can re-admit hail to the field. Pretty much, spam blizzard, and anyone who presents a threat that didn't die from Blizzard, kill with the other moves. I have watched the best, most well-prepared teams fall apart under the unsought of cold.

slowking.jpg

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room

Abomasnow's partner in crime. Slowking is there to administer Trick Room, keep Abomasnow alive, and severely injure anything that doesn't die from Abomasnow's Blizzard. He is deliberately slower that Abomasnow so that he can weaken or destroy Abomasnow's checks or counters before he shoots a Blizzard.

talonflame.jpg

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Talonflame comes in after either Slowking or Abomasnow dies, and sacrifices himself to do massive damage to the other team. To be honest, I haven't used Roost or U-Turn at all, so any recommendations would be appreciated. The priority Brave Bird is fabulous under Trick Room, and he works well with the team I've assembled here.

shedinja.jpg

Shedinja @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Confuse Ray

A relatively new addition to the team, I chose Shedinja to spread burns throughout the opposing team. I didn't opt for toxic because the longevity provided to my team due to the attack drop with a burn in very nice. Everything else in his set is just for fun, and I haven't used anything else in it very much.

toxicroak.jpg

Toxicroak @ Air Balloon
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch

To put it simply, Toxicroak is an all-out attacker, to cover anything that Tyrantrum or Talonflame doesn't get. Fake Out is nice for that extra damage, and when paired with Bullet Punch, it ensures that he will get at least 2 clean hits on an opponent, provided the other doesn't attack him.

tyrantrum.jpg

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Yes, I know the 3 line explanation rule. No, I don't care, because this set is so self explanatory. He pretty much has the exact same role as Toxicroak.

Conclusion: Now, before you tear my team apart, I would prefer that you play with it awhile. It's very fun, but I understand if your a veteran or don't have the time. Thanks a ton, guys!

Okay first thing's first. I hate to break it to you, Shedinja is bad. You can talk about how "fun" he is, but I find winning games to be even more fun and shedinja does almost nothing. In addition, Hail forces you to use Safety Goggles, which means you can't run Focus sash, which makes him even worse. I think you should replace Shedinja with Rotom-H. Right now your team is really weak to sun, and Rotom-H fixes that problem nicely by resisting both Fire and Grass, and having access to powerful electric STABs to hit Mega Charizard Y. I'd use this set:

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SDef / 104 SpA
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Ice/Protect
Safety Goggles protect you from Rage Powder/Sleep Powder/Spore, and the EVs make sure that it's never 2HKO'd by Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast.

You'll also want to Change the Speed EVs IVs on Abomasnow and Tyrantrum to 0, and give them a -Speed nature. That will lower both of their speeds significantly, making them much more threatening under Trick Room. It also lets you put all of Tyrantrums Speed EVs into HP.

Replace Roost on Talonflame with Protect. Protect does much more than Roost for such a frail pokemon, allowing you to take out any checks with its partner while it's safe.

Change Slowking's moveset to Scald/Psyshock/Trick Room/Ice Beam or Blizzard or Heal Pulse, and change the item to Sitrus Berry or Life Orb. Slowking's STAB moves allow it to dish out a lot more damage, and you'd be surprised how powerful it is under Trick Room. Ice Beam/Blizzard can stay because it has great coverage. I personally greatly dislike Heal Pulse because if your teammate faints you actually heal the opponent, but if you really want to you can do that too.

Replace Shadow Ball on Abomasnow with Ice Shard. Priority Ice STAB is fantastic, hitting huge threats like Landorus-T and Garchomp before they get a chance to attack. Also, you really shouldn't be using Abomasnow as a suicide lead. It's got good enough bulk that as long as you keep it away from stuff like Talonflame, it can dish out tons of damage. Also, consider replacing Energy Ball with Giga Drain for longevity.

Replace Toxicroak's Air Balloon with Life Orb/Sitrus Berry/Black Sludge. Air Balloon is not as good as people seem to think. It's far too easy to pop it with a weak hit and then you get smashed with EQ. If you really, really, really want protection against Ground moves, use a Shuca Berry.

Of all my suggestions, there's one I must really insist on: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T USE SHEDINJA ON A HAIL TEAM. HailRoom is a very fun playstyle, and I wish you the best luck with the team!

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This team seems pretty good as your Pokémon want to protect mega-abomasnow as much as possible. However, I think there are suggestions that I have to make your team better.

Mega Abomasnow:

Your Abomasnow needs slight changes. Firstly, Shadow Ball does nothing for your team. A super-effective Shadow Ball does 180 damage to an enemy, and a regular STAB Blizzard does 165, which isn't really that much. Thus, you should use a better move that will help Abomasnow. Therefore, I recommend Ice Shard in replace of Shadow Ball. Ice Shard is a great move on Abomasnow because of the priority it gives. It allows him to quickly do some damage right before you die, or to do damage to finish off an enemy.

Next up, Giga Drain > Energy Ball. Giga Drain is a must have on Abomasnow because it allows him to stay at healthy health. Especially since mega Abomasnow is one of your most important Pokémon. Also, just change the 4 EVs in Special Defense to 4 EVs in Speed. This will allow you to out-speed other Mega Abomasnow without the risk of a speed tie. I would recommend:

Abomasnow: Abomasite
---->

Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spe
-Protect
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Ice Shard

Slowking:

Your Slowking is OK for an aggressive Slowking. However, most Slowkings are specially defensive with not that much investment in Special Attack. Heal Pulse and Trick Rooms are excellent moves to have in double battles. However, you do not have any STAB attacking moves. Ice Beam is good to have for type coverage, but you have to get rid of Flamethrower. It's hurting you more than it's helping you. Replace it with a STAB move like Scald or Psychic. They are both very good STAB moves on Slowking. I would recommend:

Slowking: Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe) / Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP, 36 SpA, 220 SpD
-Trick Room
-Scald
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Ice Beam

Talonflame:

Your Talonflame is fine. There's no need to change it. However, consider the move Protect because it can sometimes work better in double battles.

Shedinja:

PLEASE DON'T USE SHEDINJA ON A HAIL TEAM! Please. There's no point and there's a lot better walls on a rain team like Avalugg, Articuno, Clefable, and Fortress. Shedinja slows down your momentum. Anyway, if you want to keep it SO badly, you can still keep it:

Focus Sash > Safety Goggles. Focus Sash is the only good item on Shedinja because it allows him to not die immediately. Without Focus Sash, Shedinja is a waste of a Pokémon. Also, Confuse Ray and Sucker Punch aren't the most useful moves on Shedinja because with Shedinja, you try to status something with a burn and then proceed to be annoying. Therefore, Endure and Protect are better moves because it allows you to survive much longer and it takes a lot more time for the opponents to break your Focus Sash. I would recommend:

Shedinja: Focus Sash

Ability: Wonder Guard
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-Shadow Sneak
-Endure
-Protect
-Will-O-Wisp

Toxicroak:

Toxicroak isn't the greatest Pokémon to use on a semi-hail semi-trick room team. He is much better as a substitute set-up sweeper on a rain team. However, you need to replace Air Balloon on him. That is only good for a select few Pokémon like Excadrill and Klefki. Black Sludge is an amazing item for a poison type because of recovery and incase your opponent uses Trick. See, its always better to have 252 Speed EVs, but if he is a trick room sweeper that is one thing you will have to deal with. Furthermore, Bullet Punch is a good move on Toxicroak, but Sucker Punch (in my opinion) is a better alternative. Fake Out is a fine move, and Swords Dance and Drain Punch are perfect. Whenever I play Toxicroak, I always run:

Toxicroak: Black Sludge

Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Tyrantrum:

You mentioned Tyrantrum as your all-out-attacker and not a wall. Therefore, because of this, and just like Toxicroak, I don't think Tyrantrum is the best trick room sweeper. Crunch and Dragon Claw are fine. However, Earthquake is a great move, but you need that rock STAB. Also, Crunch does more damage then Earthquake because of Strong Jaw. So, Stone Edge is the better option here. Also, Fire Fang does virtually nothing to help you. Plus, you have good coverage from your other 3 moves. Therefore, Dragon Dance is a good move. Paired up with your max speed, you can make your Tyrantrum a huge threat to any team. I would also replace Choice Band with either Leftovers or Lum Berry because you are using Dragon Dance. I would recommend:

Tyrantrum:

Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge
-Crunch

Well, there's my rate. I don't do double battles, so I can't help with any alternative Pokémon. But I hoped my rate helped :toast:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)