ORAS UU Mega Aerodactyl Hazard Stack Offence

This is a team I build about a week ago because I wanted to test out Mega Aerodactyl. The strategy I implicated was hazard stack offence as this compliments Mega Aerodactyl very well. My ranking after after a few days of battling is 1434 (started at 1000) and I have a record of 34-10. I don't ladder often so I am very proud of how this team has come together.

The Team

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Aerodactyl is the focal point of this team. His speed is unparalled in this tier, barring a few choice scarfers and his attack allows him to blow through teams mid to late game. EdgeQuake gives Aero some very nice coverage on a lot of big threats. Aerial Ace provides an accurate attack that deals massive damage to anything that is weak to Flying. Pursuit is there to trap any Ghost types wandering around.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Toxicroak is a key player on this team thanks to Sucker Punch and his Dry Skin ability. My go to Fairy killer, Toxicroak allows easy switch ins to obvious Water type attacks which would inflict massive damage onto Aero. Gunk Shot guarantees a 1HKO on every Fairy I can think of even max HP max Defense Sylveon. I chose Low Kick over Drain Punch because I found it more reliable.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swampert here is a special one. Not special as in special wall as he is my physical wall, but his set is only half standard. Swampert is my Stealth Rock setter as well as my Scalder, stopping almost all physical attackers in their tracks. Swampert is my ideal switch in for most Fire attacks and opposing Mega Aerodactyls. Toxic is there for inflicting status on opposing walls or potential set up sweepers as I found it more useful than Roar for this team in particular. Hidden Power [Grass] is there for other Swampert and Quagsire as this team struggles to deal with them very well. I did not find myself using Earthquake as much as I thought I would so I substituted it out.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Oh Hydreigon, you beautiful monster. Hydreigon is mainly used for breaking down the opponents walls and dropping Draco Meteors on the opponents whole team. I can't tell you how many time people switch out predicting another move and all I do is click Draco Meteor and get a free kill. Fire Blast is for Forretress and other Pokemon weak to Fire.

Forretress @ Red Card
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Heavy Slam

Forretress is pretty standard here. The only notable changes are its ability and item. Overcoat allows Forretress to absorb almost any status, keeping Aerodactyl safe from Whimsicott's Stun Spore. The Red Card is used to force out Belly Drum Slurpuff as this team struggles to deal with it if hazards are not on the field. Heavy Slam was chosen over Gyro Ball as it dealt more damage to bigger threats and Fairies.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch

Lucario is such a great Pokemon in this tier. Multiple games have been won by being able to get a SD off and sweeping entire teams with +2 Extreme Speed. Close Combat offers great STAB and destroys Mega Aggron. Ice Punch helps in some cases but I may go for Bullet Punch for STAB Priority.

Let me know what you think of this team and what I can do to improve it! I will continue laddering and hopefully make it into the top 500! Thanks guys!

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
yo yo dude, so I read over your rmt and I can get where you are coming from with some your personal optimizations on your team. But here are a few things I would recommend to get past the fairy issues you have been having.

So the first thing you can do is make a slight change to your hydreigon set with Iron Tail>Superpower this makes it so slurpuff cant setup on your dreigon If you don't miss HUE, You've got two fighting types one being toxicroak so I believe empoleon and blissey are manageable without the Superpower. Iron tail also kills specs sylveon after rocks while also doing serious dmg to the cleric set.
0 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 278-328 (83.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast

• Next Lucario normally runs adamant when running Bullet Punch>Ice Punch otherwise it would appreciate moves such as earthquake, crunch, or even iron tail with a jolly nature to allow it an important speed tier over entei for example. with these two changes you can find your fairy weakness a lot less apparent.

If you make these two changes you can swap your forretress set to a more optimal:
Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Heavy Slam

• allowing you to tank hyper voices from sylveon better as well as offering it some passive recovery for your team.

as for your pert weakness there isnt much I can really do without making "major" changes to your team so you should maybe keep the hp grass I guess but I feel like you'll still have some problems so maybe Roar>toxic but you did say you appreciated non roar so thats up to you but you do seem like you'd have troubles versus gyrados without the roar but thats on you.

cool team dude hope you my words help you out.

Last edited:
Hey friend. team looks scary from team preview. Killintime seems to have said very good points. There are some glaring synergy issues however that he didn't point out.
  • Fighting STAB isn't that nice to switch into - scarf mienshao gives you nightmares. Conkeldurr gives you worse nightmares. Special Lucario with vacuum wave is pretty much a guaranteed win vs you.
  • Fire STAB isn't that nice to switch into - this isn't as bad an issue because most Hyper offense struggles with this. In particular Entei can give you a bad time. Swampert switches in 3 times if you're being conservative with it. However, it doesn't like the burn at all
I have some gripes about your set choices also.
  • Run roost on LO Hydreigon- Hydreigon is naturally bulky, make use of its bulk by using it for the entire game. Using roost also allows Hydreigon to be a scald switch in. Now you have no more Swampert weakness as no human is trying to 1v1 a Hydreigon with a defensive Swampert. It also patches up the Chandelure weakness nicely.
  • Run a better move than HP Grass on Swampert - Scald does everything that HP grass does, plus 30% burn chance. Using ice beam or a utility like roar seems like a much better choice.
It seems like a fun team regardless. I hope you have fun playing UU.

Hmm, I don't rate teams frequently, but your team has some things that you may change.

Major Changes:

So, your team is looking very well overall, but I can't see why you have both Lucario and Toxicroak on a team. If you are struggling with Bulky Waters, I suggest you to use Nasty Plot Celebi over Toxicroak. Celebi is giving you a hard check to all the Water-Types in the tier, and it can pressure non-Scarfed Hydreigon too, what is huge for your team. You are still going to defeat Defensive Sylveon 1v1, but you are going to defeat Pokémon like Swampert with much more ease. Celebi is going to pressure most of the Fighting-Types in the tier too. Pokémon like Conkeldurr and Cobalion are very common actually and they can pressure your team very well if you ar not playing well, forcing you to sack Swampert to try to hit it with Mega Aerodactyl.

Celebi @ Leftovers​
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
Another huge threat to your team is Sylveon, sure. You have nothing that can resist two Hyper Voices. That's why I think that you should use Leftovers Specially Defensive Forretress instead of your set. Sp. Def Forry resists two Hyper Voices from Sylveon, what is giving you a chance to OHKO it with Heavy Slam or gain momentum with Volt Switch. You are still going to wall Mega Aerodactyl, but you can wall stuff like Kyurem, Sylveon and Celebi with more effectiveness right now. Red Card is absolutely non sense, and you have Lucario, so you don't really need to use it.

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Heavy Slam
Minor Changes:

I'll use Iron Tail over Superpower in Hydreigon as you are going to hit Sylveon very hard with it. Use a Naive Nature to switch in Sacred Fire from Entei without be crushed. You can use Roost over Fire Blast too, since it's a cool option to expand Hydreigon's longevity.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Iron Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Roost
Use Bullet Punch over Ice Punch in Lucario. Since Salamence is gone, there's no reason to use it anymore as you can hit Fairies much harder with a Steel-Type STAB.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch
Hidden Power Grass Swampert is not viable. It is going to hit opponent's Swampert, but Earthquake is a much better move since you are going to hit Steel- and Fire-Types with less difficulties. Use Roar over Toxic too. Gyarados is always around and this is very bad for you, as your team is easily 6-0ed by it's most common variant, but this is not going to happen if you are using Roar.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar
Importable with the changes:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Heavy Slam

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Iron Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Roost

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Good luck with your ladder run man! n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)