ORAS OU Mega Blastoise OU challenge... please rate!!!

Okay so like Blastoise was my starter back at fire red so it is kind of my favourite pokemon but yeah I know that making a team with it in OU is not easy but anyway I tried and this team does work, although it might not look like it has a lot of potential but this team has proved quite useful to me.

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite

Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Dragon Pulse
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Blastoise, I built the team around him since thats the point of this team to check its viability. Blastoise is a strong special sweeper it is able to take care of a lot of threats like Mega Metagross, Mega Tyranitar even Talonflame. Its got Dark pulse for coverage its a great move that gets a mega launcher boost. Scald is for its STAB and its good to control physical attackers due to the burn chance and I put Dragon Pulse over Aura sphere to hit Mega Charizard X which is a problem for this team otherwise although Aura Sphere gets better coverage. Rapid Spin is self explanatory.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Stealth Rock

- Leech Seed

- Gyro Ball

- Power Whip

Next I picked Ferrothorn due to its ability to block Venusaur and its also my SR setter. Its also a good check to Azumarill. Gyro Ball is pretty much a mandatory move for Ferro, Leech seed is a support move that helps the next pokemon that switches in and power whip is for the STAB and hits quite hard. The EVs are the Smogon set cause they work fine.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Scald

- Wish

- Protect

- Haze

Next is vaporeon you might be surprised to see Haze in its moveset but Haze is the reason why Vaporeon was chosen over Sylveon because its good against Stall breaker pokemon like CM Keldeo, Tail glow Manaphy , CM Clefable, Reuniclus and that Stored Power Espeon( the Noobs think its cool, don't know why). Vaporeon's main role was the Haze support other wise it just burns stuff with Scald or stalls with wish protect, wish can also be passed on to others. The downside to using it is that Rotom-H has an easy time bringing momentum for the opponent due to having 2 water types.

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest

Trait: Sap Sipper

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd

- Sludge Bomb

- Draco Meteor

- Ice Beam

- Flamethrower

Sap Sipper Goodra at first was selected to counter Serperior but then it proved to be much more useful due to its excellent coverage. Draco Meteor for its absoloute power and can scare away the Latis. Sludge Bomb is to hit fairy types, this guy is surprisingly useful against BD Azumarill since it outspeeds it and kills with Sludge Bomb. Ice Beam is put to kill Gliscor which can be annoying and flamethrower to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor although I wouldn't recommend using this guy as a Scizor counter but if it comes to it. Assault vest boosts its already high Special defense making it an excellent Tank.

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Will-O-Wisp

- Recover

- Knock Off

- Taunt

Prankster Sableye is great, for some strange reason its used less when ORAS introduced Mega Sableye but non mega Sableye is also great. This guy is used to stop fighting types and also work as a Crocune counter. It's main role is to cripple physical attackers with WoW (its how I counter Scizor actually) and can taunt set up sweepers. Knock Off is self explanatory.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Seismic Toss

- Heal Bell

- Wish

- Protect

Lastly I have Chansey the ultimate wall. Its my main Cleric Healer with very powerful wishes. Honestly the Chansey set is self explanatory, Seismic toss is the only way it does any actual damage. Wish is to make sure my Sweepers keep coming back for more. Heall Bell to cure Status ailments and well thats it, its job is to wall like crazy.

So thats it for my team.

I'm not a serious Competitive battler I make bad predictions and stuff and my Internet connection is very bad so playing becomes difficult :(
So anyway you feel free to import and test it out if you want. And PLEASE RATE!!!!

IMPORTABLE( Don't know how to make the hide thing)

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite

Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd

- Dragon Pulse

- Scald

- Dark Pulse

- Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Stealth Rock

- Leech Seed

- Gyro Ball

- Power Whip

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Scald

- Wish

- Protect

- Haze

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest

Trait: Sap Sipper

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd

- Sludge Bomb

- Draco Meteor

- Ice Beam

- Flamethrower

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Will-O-Wisp

- Recover

- Knock Off

- Taunt

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Seismic Toss

- Heal Bell

- Wish

- Protect

Hey, few changes I would quickly recommend while I have the time.

Aura Sphere > Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse already covers Latias which would be your prime suspect targets for the move Dragon Pulse any way. Aura Sphere also gives you important Fighting coverage which your team does not present, giving you a wider variety of coverage on your team. Secondly, Baton Pass > Haze, your team has a lot of answers to the majority of a set up sweeper Vaporeon could face, like Ferrothorn can beat Gyarados and Chansey can handle most variants of Manaphy and also CM Sableye (arguable you can't do anything back, but you can pp stall it). It also gives your team a form of momentum which you lack, which is becoming an essential to have on most builds to prevent free switch ins. Finally, run Max HP > Max Special Defence, chansey can already take any special hit it so choose with ease, so the added investment isn't really needed. Running max defence also gives you the ability to better handle physical threats like talonflame, which will evidently kill themselves with recoil damage.

Hope you enjoyed my rate and were able to obtain something from it. Good luck in your future endeavours with your team!

Last edited:
Hi HeiDoe thank you so much for the rate :)))
About Aura Sphere>Dragon Pulse I agree but without Dragon Pulse Charizard X will 6-0 my team even with Dragon Pulse it poses a threat and especially if its carrying roost. Dragon Pulse is only against Charizard X I just have to carry it cause I can't have a pokemon which is not that uncommon to be able to sweep my team just like that. I used to have Aura Sphere but had to change it unfortunately.
About Baton Pass> Haze you might be right about that although in that case I'll bring back Sylveon as that will also handle CM Sableye issue,the only problem remaining that noobish stored power Espeon. Since I don't reach very high rank all the time due to my bad connection where I'll lose an important battle because my timer continues to drop and I lose major points, in the lower ladder this kind of thing like stored power Espeon, cosmic power Sigyliph etc. are used otherwise yeah Sylveon with baton pass is better.
Maybe when I reach high and get a better connection I'll switch Vaporeon to Sylveon lol.
When you say Max defense>Max Sp.defense do you mean I should put max Hp and max def because otherwise I do have Max defense with bold nature.

Again thankyou very much for the rate :))

When you say Max defense>Max Sp.defense do you mean I should put max Hp and max def because otherwise I do have Max defense with bold nature.

Again thankyou very much for the rate :))
Sorry for the mix up here, I changed and meant say Max HP > SpD. This just allows you to maximise your ability to take physical hits whilst still supporting your SpD stat. In all honesty though you could probably leave as is.

You are trying to use Vaporeon as a physical wall. This is fine and all, but you have two pokemon providing Wishpass support, but chansey does it better.

I would consider Ancientpower/Stone Edge heatran to replace Vaporeon. This would give you a solid way to beat Talonflame. I could see Victini or Entei working here as well, but this looks to be Semi-Stall, so I think Heatran may be better.

HeiDoe: Yeah thats what I thought you meant.

Rfyi110: Heatran sounds like a good plan I'll test it out, with an airballoon heatran I'll be able to check Mega Zard X and be able to run aura sphere on Mega Toise.

Thanks for your rates :))

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I like seeing Mega Blastoise getting some usage! This team can potentially get swept by Sub + Calm Mind Keldeo once Vaporeon is gone, and your team is rather slow, so most threats will be from pokemon that have 100+ speed. I know Vaporeon can stall around with Keldeo, but its risky because Vaporeon won't be able to do anything back. Besides Goodra and Blastoise, nothing can do major damage to Keldeo without potentially being KO'd, so to fix this I suggest Skarmory > Sableye, Rotom-W > Vaporeon, Clefable > Chansey. Sableye isn't bulky and can easily get 1HKO'd by a strong special attack like Draco Meteor. Skarmory is able to stop Azumarill(you can outspeed and hit them with Brave Bird), Mega Scizor, Garchomp (without Fire Blast), Lando-I, Lando-T, get rid of hazards, and phase opponents out with Whirlwind. Rotom-W is able to stop Keldeo and Talonflame (also a threat to your team), hit them both with a super effective volt switch, and provide momentum which makes switching in a whole lot easier for your team. Chansey is extremely bulky no doubt, but it can't do much back and Clefable can fill the same roll as a wish pass/cleric, and with Unaware, it can stop Latias, Latias, Garchomp, Keldeo, Crocune, Mandibuzz, and set up sweepers like Manaphy. It also provides a good fairy move in Moon Blast, and can easily get rid of Mega Sableye. If you add Skarmory, you can replace Rapid Spin on Blastoise with Aura Sphere/ Ice Beam. Aura Sphere lets you hit Magnezone (big threat after these changes), Bisharp, Ferrothorn and Tyranitar probably KO'ing them when you do. Ice Beam on the other hand can let you kill Thundurus or Zapdos on the switch in. After all of these changes, you'll still have some threats including Zard Y, Magnezone, Raikou, Mega Manectric. A special defensive Hippowdon is able to deal with all of these really well, unfortunately I'm not sure where to put it because I don't want to change your team too much. I hope these changes help ^_^

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet (very handy for physical attackers)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD (Running no speed lets you get the last volt switch to ensure a safe switch in)
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Last edited:
Hi TeamPokeBalls for your rate :)))

If I make all your changes my team will look like this

Blastoise, Ferrothorn, Rotom-w, Skarmory, Goodra, Clefable.

You said Skarmory>Sableye Skarmory can be useful in my team but if I have to put it then I think I'll use it instead of Ferrothorn and not Sableye because sableye is for fighting types and physical steel types especially Mega Gallade, Bisharp cores, also physical dragons. Skarmory can perform the same stuff Ferro does, the only downside is that Venusaur might stall it with sleep powder and leech seed :(

Skarmory can't stop Azumarill btw

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 129-153 (35.4 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 360-424 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

but I guess it can weaken it and then Rotom-W can take it out.

I agree about Rotom-W>Vaporeon as that can bring more momentum to the game and get more coverage + WoW support. And the sucky design is the only downside so I guess that's doable lol.

I don't get why Clefable>Chansey though it can hit Mega Sableye but other than that I guess its good against Fighting but its also bad against a lot of special sweepers.

I was actually thinking of getting a physical wall instead of either Sableye or Chansey, a rock type like Tyranitar to take out fire types in general.

But I will try out this team as you've suggested to see how it works on practice.

The problem I'm seeing here is having multiple steel types gives magnezone an advantage so I was thinking Amoongus>Ferrothorn or Venusaur.

Oh and Zard Ys and Raikous are handled easily by Goodra so Hippowdon is not needed.

Anyway thnx very much for your rate.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hi TeamPokeBalls for your rate :)))

If I make all your changes my team will look like this

You said Skarmory>Sableye Skarmory can be useful in my team but if I have to put it then I think I'll use it instead of Ferrothorn and not Sableye because sableye is for fighting types and physical steel types especially Mega Gallade, Bisharp cores, also physical dragons. Skarmory can perform the same stuff Ferro does, the only downside is that Venusaur might stall it with sleep powder and leech seed :(

Skarmory can't stop Azumarill btw

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 129-153 (35.4 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 360-424 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

but I guess it can weaken it and then Rotom-W can take it out.

I agree about Rotom-W>Vaporeon as that can bring more momentum to the game and get more coverage + WoW support. And the sucky design is the only downside so I guess that's doable lol.

I don't get why Clefable>Chansey though it can hit Mega Sableye but other than that I guess its good against Fighting but its also bad against a lot of special sweepers.

I was actually thinking of getting a physical wall instead of either Sableye or Chansey, a rock type like Tyranitar to take out fire types in general.

But I will try out this team as you've suggested to see how it works on practice.

The problem I'm seeing here is having multiple steel types gives magnezone an advantage so I was thinking Amoongus>Ferrothorn or Venusaur.

Oh and Zard Ys and Raikous are handled easily by Goodra so Hippowdon is not needed.

Anyway thnx very much for your rate.
Its Team PokePALS not PokeBalls

I forgot that you already had Ferrothorn, so I think that's where Special defensive Hippowdon can be placed, as he can solve the electric weakness, and the threats I mentioned in the previous post. I know you said Goodra can handle the threats Hippo can stop, but not having recovery can wear it down real easily, and I feel like he's more of a offensive pivot that can help by absorbing grass attacks. You'll definitely want Goodra to be healthy when you have to face Mega Venusaur, Serperior or Mega Sceptile and Hippowdon can lessen its burden. By running a special defensive set, Hippowdon will be able to stop electric types, and Sand Stream can help reduce the impact Charizard Y can have. Only downside is Blastoise and Goodra aren't completely fond of Sandstorm due to no recovery outside of Wish, but Rotom-W, Skarmory and Clefable can handle it. the Sandstorm is mainly for forcing Sun/Rain out, and Sand Force is the other option, but it does keep Charizard Y as a big threat.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 186-219 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon in Sun: 279-328 (66.4 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 160-190 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 190-225 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 148-175 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 80% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 153-181 (36.4 - 43%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream / Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Toxic (Stone Edge to kill Zard Y, or Toxic because he can be a really good toxic staller with his bulk)

Last edited:
Specially defensive Hippowdon sounds like a good plan but the thing is Goodra can't do shit to mega venusaur due to thick fat

252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO spatt gets reduced.
252+ SpA Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 102-120 (28 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
and venusaur
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 55-66 (14.4 - 17.3%) -- possible 6HKO
but it gets poisoned and it can use synthesis.
And the threat of Mega Zard X remains with Hippowdon unfortunately
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 372-438 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
and if its a Swords dance mega zard than even physical hippo gets it.
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 367-433 (87.3 - 103%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
although the kill chance is low it's still its a risk

Is there any 1 pokemon that can counter both Char X and Venu.

Oh and Sorry about misspelling your name.

Anyway Thnx for your rates they have been very helpful.

TPP

Head TD
Specially defensive Hippowdon sounds like a good plan but the thing is Goodra can't do shit to mega venusaur due to thick fat

252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO spatt gets reduced.
252+ SpA Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 102-120 (28 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
and venusaur
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 55-66 (14.4 - 17.3%) -- possible 6HKO
but it gets poisoned and it can use synthesis.
And the threat of Mega Zard X remains with Hippowdon unfortunately
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 372-438 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
and if its a Swords dance mega zard than even physical hippo gets it.
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 367-433 (87.3 - 103%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
although the kill chance is low it's still its a risk

Is there any 1 pokemon that can counter both Char X and Venu.

Oh and Sorry about misspelling your name.

Anyway Thnx for your rates they have been very helpful.
Its cool, honestly I don't think anything counters BOTH of them, because those 2 cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. Azumarill can resist Charizard-X
fire and dragon stabs, but it can't touch Mega Venusaur. I think Talonflame or Lando-I could potentially kill them both. Talonflame with Brave Bird, and Lando-I with Earth power and Psychic. Latios works too, because of Psyshock and Draco Meteor. Latios and Talonflame are probably the best options, and they give your team some much needed speed.

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 157-186 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 286-338 (78.5 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (its modest for max damage)

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 523-616 (157 - 184.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (always kills)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 218-257 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hi Team Pokepals :) after some thinking I've decided on six pokemon

Blastoise, Talonflame(For Venusaur), Skarmory(For Defog), Goodra( Tank), Quagsire(for zard x problem),Clefable(as you suggested)

I had to replace Rotom-w with Talonflame to deal with Venusaur but I lose the volt switch momentum :(. This team feels almost done....almost but their still are a few problems like 3 mons are weak to electric so Raikou will have an easy time overpowering me, Quagsire deals with most volt switchers like Raikou unless it has HP Grass or Grass knot.

This tem still feels incomplete for some reason any other changes I should consider?
Thnx again for the rate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)