Mega-Evolution in doubles

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
THIS THREAD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

Mega-evolution in doubles is vastly different to singles, much like the battles themselves. What is viable in doubles which, while for the most part is similar to singles, can be entirely different just due to the sheer difference between the length of battles and how we battle.

The Fallen

Mega-gengar has suffered many blows in his transition between singles and doubles. No doubt his best set in the doubles metagame right now is Perish Song, as he can still trap and stall somewhat, removing two of your Pokemon for little cost. The problem, of course, is that with some doubles battles being 5-6 turns Perish Song takes far too long to take it's full effect (I learned this myself trying out a Perish Song Honchkrow) and by the time Perish Song activates Mega-Gengar has already been killed and you've switched out. Looking at other possible sets Mega-Gengar could run... nothing looking overly good. 170 SpAtk is fantabulous, but the 130 speed is actually a killer against the common trick room teams, and having no reliable spread move really hurts his viability for offensive sets. Mega-Gengar is popular as a Pokemon but soon people will realize that Mega-Gengar really cannot stand up to his standards in singles in the doubles environment.

Mega-Venusaur is actually rather popular in the XY singles metagame as a pretty great tank and looking at his stats it is easy to see why. 80/123/120 defenses are pretty fantastic and 100/122 offenses aren't too shabby either. It has a fairly good 80 base speed for doubles which lets it either check Trick Room teams or be speedy with support moves such as Tailwind. The chlorophyll ability also helps Mega-Venusaur take Heat Waves and Blizzards aimed at your team quite well, but while defensively Mega-Venusaur looks pretty up-to-scratch Grass/Poison is not a good offensive typing and actually, it's movepool isn't very good offensively either. Now, the typing is rather good defensively but let's have a look at it's movepool... it has... Light Screen I guess? Nah, Mega-Venusaur has some pretty good utility in actual fact - Safeguard, Light Screen, Aromatherapy, Knock Off and Sleep Powder really stand out to me as the best moves he has in his arsenal, and unfortunately the majority of other Grass-Type Pokemon can do this. Mega-Venusaur will struggle to find use on teams in the doubles metagame but I have no doubt in my mind he will find a niche in due course, just don't expect it to be as good as it is in singles.

The just-as-good-here-as-in-singles Pokemon

Honestly Mega-Gardevoir can be a serious threat, no joke. Dazzling Gleam, like I mentioned with Mega-Mawile, is a spread move and coming off of that 165 Special Attack stat is just fantastic. Her speed is 100 meaning that backed by Tailwind or really without she can be a seriously fast powerful Pokemon and her typing is actually pretty great making her.. well..not weak to any common moves in doubles. Like at all. The danger still lies in her ok-ish bulk, 68/65/135 is not terrible in terms of Special Defense but looking at physical defense that is scarily low for the doubles environment where Earthquakes and Rock Slide are absolutely everywhere Mega-Gardevoir is rather heavily reliant on team matchup. She is a threat to behold against several types of sun teams and can be a rather great thing to have against hail/blizzspam due to her high Special Defense and high Special Attack. Her typing gives her neutral coverage on a bunch of the tier, in fact I think only Dark and Steel resist both of her STABs and guess what? Focus Blast destroys them! This means that in doubles Mega-Gardevoir has the power to demolish a good majority of the tier in some way or another and has room to spare for Protect without having to give up on a type, this would make her quite suited to doubles however defensively her typing doesn't do her any favours. She's resistant to Fighting, Psychic and immune to Dragon but only Fighting is common out of those types, whereas she's weak to Ghost, Poison and Steel which are oddly common lately. She arguably took a dip from singles but with the right support Mega-Gardevoir is actually a pretty fantastic threat and something pretty much every team needs to prepare for.

What can I say about Mega-Kangaskhan that hasn't been said already? He's powerful, has perfect neutral coverage between two moves (practically, I guess Ghost Types with Levitate betray this rule but now that most Gengar are Mega now it's not as significant) and he finds use in doubles as well. All you need to do to make Mega-Kagnaskhan work in doubles is slap an Ammoonguss as a partner an get it to use Rage Powder a bunch of times while Kangaskhan proceeds to destroy the other team. You can also simply use Earthquake while your partner uses Protect and have the other team get at least one of their Pokemon to faint. Return is by far the thing that you want to use on Mega-Kangaskhan the most and really you can just use the singles set minus Power Up Punch plus Protect and proceed to wreak havoc. Honestly the most straight-forward and easiest Mega to use.

Mega-Alakazam can be rather good in doubles even though neither his stats nor movepool would seem to suggest so. It does get Dazzling Gleam for an un-STAB'd spread attack but most of the time you want to focus on removing the opponent's team one Pokemon at a time with Psychic or Focus Blast. I said for Mega-Kangaskhan that he is probably the most basic Mega there is but Mega-Alakazam gives him a run for his money in this respect. Was Alakazam really difficult last generation? Well that thing at least had Magic Guard, Mega-Alakazam is even more basic!

Mega-Mawile is a monster in singles and in doubles she is a monster too! She has one of the best typings in the game, only weak to Fire and Ground. However, both Heat Wave and and Earthquake are hilariously common in doubles, Mega-Mawile greatly appreciates Wide Guard support from the likes of

Vast improvement from singles to doubles

Mega-Charizard-Y, or for the purpose of this ChariYard, is absolutely incredible in the doubles format and arguably the best Mega in both this category and in general for doubles. The immediate sun lets it support it's team by switching in but, unlike Ninetails or (lol)Vulpix, the guy's not a deadweight, as in, he can do something! ChariYard has Heat Wave and SolarBeam and that's all he needs. The only issue I have with MegaYard is that he can't be paired with Mega-Houndoom since these two as Heat Wave spammers would completely demolish teams and teams alike ^^. ChariYard does kinda suffer from the Drought nerf in Singles, in Doubles this thing actually doesn't need more than those 5 turns most of the time. It is entirely dependent on the sun though so it does run a small risk of being stalled out but it is quite difficult to do so. ChariYard is going to be one of the up-most strongest power-houses of smogon doubles there is no doubt in my mind of this. Long live the king!

Mega-Scizor has some of the greatest things that you need on a good doubles Pokemon. Powerful priority, hard-hitting attacks outside of priority and support moves - all of which can fit on one set. To show you what I mean on my set I've been running Bullet Punch - priority - Bug Bite - hard hitting otherwise - and Light Screen - support. And obviously Protect. Strangely enough Mega-Scizor also has access to a couple of flying-type support moves as well in Defog and Tailwind. Defog sounds odd, but actually it can support moves such as Blizzard and let them destroy whereas Tailwind is fantastic to fit on
anything. This makes Mega-Scizor incredibly diverse and a dangerous threat. Unfortunately, Mega-Scizor is weak to the common Heat Wave and Mega-Charizard-Y but pick your fights and Protect against the rest of them and Mega-Scizor could be one of the most dangerous Pokemon on your team.

Loreal Sheep, or Mega-Ampharos, is terrible in singles due to her sheer pathetic speed, but here in doubles we say if you're slow all the power to you, we'll stick you with a Jellicent and you can wreck everything with powerful Thunders! This is exactly what I mean about Mega-Amphy, the thing is strong. Not as strong and Mega-Gengar or Mega-Alakazam but they are far frailer and get destroyed by Trick Room. Mega-Ampharos? She relishes it! Honestly the amount of megas who can really abuse Trick Room is disappointingly small, and by small I mean we have Mega-Ampharos, Mega-Mawile who sucks even in Trick Room, Mega-Aggron who again, loses Rock Head and only get STAB on Steel - a.k.a bad, and Mega-Abomasnow who wants to fill an entirely different niche. If you run Trick Room, run Mega-Ampharos, use this for 80% of Trick Room teams in the meta and it will be healthy. Discharge is another fantastic option for Loreal Sheep, if you can afford to use Protect on your partner Pokemon every other turn, of course. The main thing that I don't like is actually Mega-Ampharos doesn't get Draco Meteor. So many times I would have loved to use Draco Meteor with this thing but.. tutor move in Pokemon Z? :D

Any viable megas I haven't mentioned? Post them here! Post your thoughts on the ones I have posted about and if you think my summary is accurate! :)

Small e: Just seen Mawile is S-Rank in the viability ranks I guess that's a good place to start discussion since I don't see why she deserves a slot up there lol.

Last edited:
Mawile gets Intimidate, Sucker Punch and the highest attack in-game after MEvo. It can also be used in TR as you noted about Ampharos.

I feel like Manetric should definitely be on the list. It was already way more viable in doubles due to LRod and its MEvo gave it Intimidate. Also, Tyranitar and Abamosnow because obvious.

I think the biggest thing about these guys is competing for a slot. No doubt, they could all be A-ranked threats, but when you factor in giving up the option to use MegaKanga or ChariYard, then they seem less appealing.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh thanks youngjake93 I intend to make write-ups about every mega-Pokemon eventually but I have an essay due tomorrow so I decided to put in the major 9 that I could see discussion being positive with and I plan to do the rest later/next weekend.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Celever: this thread raises some valid points but I really feel it is quite inaccurate in certain places. Mega Mawile is seriously one of the best Trick Room sweepers thanks to its numerous resistances to priority moves (ESPECIALLY BRAVE BIRD); Thick Fat MegaSaur is actually a pretty huge threat;
[23:42] <@Mizuhime> mega kazam sucks everywhere
I'd just like to point out that this isn't a very accurate thread atm. Good idea for a thread though, the community can always pitch in!
also mawiles exist as males too

Ok, this thread has a lot of wrong stuff imo. :/

Mega Mawile is literally the hardest hitting Pokemon in the game. It can OHKO bulky Gyrados even after Intimidate, if that says anything. It is one of the best TR sweepers because it resists dark (Which a lot of TR users are weak to). It really bulky with its own Intimidate before M-Evolving and runs max HP so it can take a SE hit if need be. Not every Pokemon needs a spread move to succeed. And Sucker Punch.

Mega Alakazam sucks :/. You don't always know that you will trace a good ability.

Thick fat Vena is actually pretty good. :/

Also mention Fake Out on Kanghaskhan, it's one of its major pros.

Also list these;

Manetric - Fantastic abilities in Lightningrod and Intimidate after M-Evo.

Mega Gengar is pretty bad but does have Perish song niche against weaker players.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're talking about Mega Gardevoir, and it's post-pokebank, Hyper Voice is better than Dazzling Gleam in every way. With Pixilate it's noticeably stronger, bypasses substitutes and still has spread.

The Fallen

Mega-Mawile was hyped up a hell of a lot at the start of singles as "the best wallbreaker" and it's true, if you take the ability as a permanent addition to her attack stat Mega-Mawile would have the highest in the game. She has fantastic typing (Steel and Fairy together is fantastic) leaving her with only two weaknesses. I shouldn't have to say what is good about her any more so let's tell you what those weaknesses are: Fire and Ground. These are, I would say, the two most common types offensively in the doubles metagame with Rock and Fighting not too far behind. Heat Wave and Earthquake is absolutely everywhere and Mega-Mawile is weak to both of them... while she does get a STAB spread move, Dazzling Gleam, it works off of her far weaker Special Attack stat which is base 55 - seriously don't try that. I can really see Mega-Mawile falling into obscurity this generation.
This is so inaccurate I'm sure both of those heads on Mega Mawhile want to vomit in disgust. I've not played a lot of smogon doubles and have kept primarily to battle spot doubles, but I know there's significant overlap enough to justify my point. Mega Mawhile might have two bad weaknesses, but it has a glorious set of resistances and the amazing Intimidate before it goes mega (you don't need to mega immediately too, so it can be used throughout the game). It's slow, but if it actually hits something with Play Rough when it's not intimidated / burned, it's going to die. Fairy Coverage off of that freakish attack is hard as hell to take and priority like Sucker Punch makes a huge number of things uncomfortable. It can get burned, it can get Earthquaked, and it can get Flare Blitzed, but it's still a top tier threat.

Mega gengar is still very good in perish trapping. I run a subDisable protect shadow ball to stall out turns, take out ghosts (who are immune to being trapped), and even take out voltswitch/uturn if it hits a protect! I let my songer be som1 more reliable like SAP SIPPER AZUMARILL! Plus megagengar has a tiny bit of synergy with its fellow trapper gothitells, who can take incoming psychic moves on the switch or gengar can take an incoming bug move. Another reliable setter is Prankster murkrow. Why honchkrow? Sash?

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Abomasnow should definitely be mentioned in the improved mons' section. The ability to reactivate Hail, huge attacking stats when Mega and a pitiful speed stat means that it's a monster in Trick Room, when paired with a strong Trick Room setter your opponent loses a lot of mons. Being weak to Talonflame does suck, but alas, it's still a ton better in doubles than in singles (who even uses hail in singles lol)

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Mega Scizor has been working really well for me, Struggle Bug over Bug Bite is really helpful for spread + SpA lowering, and Technician gives it the power of STABed Rock Slide.

You say Alakazam is good when it's actually shitty and you say Mawile is shitty when it's good which i dont understand

Mega Scizor has been working really well for me, Struggle Bug over Bug Bite is really helpful for spread + SpA lowering, and Technician gives it the power of STABed Rock Slide.

You say Alakazam is good when it's actually shitty and you say Mawile is shitty when it's good which i dont understand
Sorry to nitpick, but note that Rock Slide does not get a Technician Boost

Abomasnow should definitely be mentioned in the improved mons' section. The ability to reactivate Hail, huge attacking stats when Mega and a pitiful speed stat means that it's a monster in Trick Room, when paired with a strong Trick Room setter your opponent loses a lot of mons. Being weak to Talonflame does suck, but alas, it's still a ton better in doubles than in singles (who even uses hail in singles lol)
Magic Guard Reuniclus x Mega Abomasnow. OTP. (Just realized that OTP looks like a Korean emoticon ala OTL of somebody mooning something)

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mega Mawile is a TR beast and he's going into my new TR team. Mega-Kangas is awesome as well, able to Fake Out anyone before mega evolution and then giving hell out with its extremly powerful Double Edge, but it lacks good spread moves. Gardevoir is a gem as it has a very powerful spread attacks, I will most likely use her in my Tailwind team.

But the real gem here is ChariYard. Drought on a good stats Pokémon with Heat Wave. Hell, my ErupTran team has suddenly become 100% better. While EQ owns Heatran, ChariYard is immune to it. Fearing of Rocks, Water, and Electric attacks? Worry not, for Cresselia is there, as well as being able to pair with other powerful allies such as support Klefki, or have Zapdos in your team to get that Thunder from Thundurus.

I played around with Mega Abomasnow for awhile when I was messing around with a weather (ice + water) team. (NOT a HailRoom team) My experiences were that MA was very hard to keep alive, defensively built but susceptible to OHKO from many sources, the most threatening being Talonflame's Brave Bird. All that said, it probably deserves to be in the risen because it's utter crap in Singles...but has the Ice spread advantage in Doubles...not to mention Trick Room makes it more viable and I was a fool to not limit it to a Trick Room team. The ability to do physical and special more or less equally is nice as well, just make sure not to bring it out first turn.

Personally I find Wood Hammer more useful for it than Grass Knot, but that's mainly due to the popularity of lightweight Politoed (edit: and Rotom-W!).

Also, Kangaskhan is not a "him" lol. She's like THE premier mother of all the mons...it's facepalmtastic to see her mistaken for a male. :P

Last edited:
I need help figuring out what moves/evs I should give to my mega lucario+gengar lead. Currently, I'm thinking:

Lucario @lucarionite
Jolly nature
Inner Focus->Adaptability
4 HP/ 252 att / 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake/rock slide/protect
-Blaze Kick/Extreme Speed/Ice Punch/protect

Gengar Expert Belt?
Timid Nature
Levitate
4 HP/252Spatk/252 Spe
-shadowball
-Psychic
-sludgewave/sludgebomb
-protect/thunderbolt

I chose these people as my lead because their goal is to...well smash at least 1 pkmn each on the opposing team for my waiting pkmn to secure the victory (lets not go there). So I checked who is the most reliable physical and special attacker, and I came across these 2, who apparently can both mega evolve. Now whats interesting is that they are fake-out proof (most of the time) and they form that unresisted ghost/fighting stab. Luc is running his 2 famous stabs, and EQ is there to form the SludgeQuake combo with gengar. Its there for fire types but then again, there is rock slide. The last move I just don't know what to run. Kick is for scizor, Espeed is for Talonflame, and ice punch would be the go to move but that is only post-pokebank, what do you think? As for gengar, I'm running psychic to dispose fighting and poison types. Sludgewave works because luc is immune to it, but sludgebomb is stronger and isn't blocked by wide gaurd. thunderbolt just adds even more coverage, nailing watertypes for some good damage. Ebelt or Fsash though? Are there any specific EVs that allow them to survive something significant?

Last edited:
Mega Mawile is ridiculously good with the right support. The new Wide guard mechanics essentially covers Mawiles ground weakness, leaving only fire attacks as the only option to OH-KO it (which even Talonflame may struggle to do with a -1). Prominent doubles pokemon from 5th gen like Chandelure get OH-KO'ed by Sucker punch. Klefki or Meowstic can put up safeguard to prevent burns/sleep.

Probably even scarier to deal with than Scizor.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey everybody, I can certainly appreciate the thought process that went in your selection. I suggest Crunch and Detect on the final slot of Lucario. With dual Crunch and Shadow Ball you can dispose most Ghost- and Psychic- Trick Room users with an exception of Eviolite Dusclops. Bullet Punch and Sludge Wave / Bomb would finish off Aromatisse. As for Gengar, it should be holding Life Orb, since its moves are rather low in base power; it'll miss out on lot of KOs without it. Sludge Wave's spread effect is nice, but beware that Gengar may not always be paired with Lucario. Stick with Protect on the final slot, as it's a clutch move that can buy Gengar some time without switching out.

Last edited:
whats the general opinion on charizard x.i know y is the favored one by a mile,but curious to sr if anyone is running x

whats the general opinion on charizard x.i know y is the favored one by a mile,but curious to sr if anyone is running x
I've actually used MegaZard X on more than one team and it's really good. Dragon/Fire has nearly perfect coverage (anything outside of Heatran and Azumarill), and with Tough Claws it can be crazy powerful. The change in typing is fun too, especially with everyone expecting MegaZard Y. You can mega-evolve at the right time and get rid of your Electric and Water weaknesses, or come in on an EQ before it mega evolves to avoid taking damage. It's also immune to burn, pretty fast and can become a terrifying sweeper with Dragon Dance.

Basically use it because it's a total boss.

Mega Pinsir isn't exactly fancy but its brute force is welcome, I've found. Immunity to Intimidate at the start is great and nailing Pokemon weak to flying is pretty excellent. Recently learned that Pinsir learns Feint, which could potentially be more interesting than Quick Attack in Doubles metas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)