ORAS OU Mega Garchomp sand team

hello, everyone! This is my first ever time posting in these forums, so please don't shoot me down if I don't do this exactly how I should.

Anyways, I'm incredibly bad at team building, so I require the help of others who have been doing it for a while. I started this team knowing that I wanted Mega Garchomp and Tyrannitar with a VoltTurn core or two, because that's fun. So, here's the whole importable team:

Miyagi (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Scizor is meant to be part of the VoltTurn core, pretty much just U-turning out into the other parts of the core for chip damage, or if I feel like I can get a kill or sweep with him. Knock off can be annoying to the opponent, especially with his strong attack and Choice Band. Bullet punch for STAB hits, taking out Fairies so Garchomp has less to worry about, Superpower for the likes of Ferrothorn or any other Pokemon that could wall Scizor.

Sharkeisha (Garchomp-Mega) (F) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
Garchomp is the main Pokémon of the team. IMO, a very underrated wall breaker/sweeper, with Sand Force, Swords Dance, hard hitting moves and a high attack stat, she's cleaned up teams and crumbled walls. And then Fire Blast for physical walls that can't be broken down, and when there's no sand.

Haunted Laundry (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
Rotom-Wash, another third of the VoltTurn core, is always a nice poke to have. Choice specs let it do more than just some chip damage with Volt Switch, and Trick to swap items with a physical Pokémon or setup sweepers. And adding the max speed with a Timid nature lets it hit as fast as it can, being another nice sweeper.

Zodgilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Earthquake
Tyrannitar gives sand, for Garchomp and Excadrill while also using it for the special defense boost. Choice Scarf lets him out speed enemies that could potentially OHKO or severely injure him. His attack EVs and hard hitting abilities get him far, being able to sweep himself, and then Fire Blast, because being walled by Ferrothorn really is not fun, and being able to OHKO makes it fun.

Sonic Screwdriver (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
Excadrill is the spinner/hazard setter for the team, and also acts as ANOTHER sweeper, hitting threats that the rest of the team would have a harder time dealing with. And Air Balloon lets him come in on Heatran or other EQ users, or scare them out, and Iron Head and EQ for STAB.

Man bird (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Taunt
And finally, Tornadus-Therian, the last of the VoltTurn core. With Regenerator, he can come in on stealth rocks, U-turn or hit hard, and swap out, healing some of the damage from SR. With Taunt, he can stop opposing hazards or status alignments, Hurricane as a strong STAB hit with the risk of missing and Heat Wave for coverage. And lastly, max EVs in Sp. Atk and Speed allow him to get his hardest Hurricanes or Heat Waves off, and fast U-turns.

So that's the team. Open to suggestions/constructive criticisms (obviously) and tips when it comes to team building in general.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by a moderator:

Creat0r

Banned deucer.
Hey :) nice Mega Garchomp team. I noticed the team is very weak to offensive and Bulky Waters such as Keldeo, Manaphy, and Rotom. Charizard Y is also an issue, even if Scarf Tyranitar can check it, with the right predicting it will still get a kill everytime it comes in. To help with both these problems I would change Latios>Scizor so that you can switch into waters and Zard Y alike. Having Roost on Latios will help it be kept in play longer. Since you have Rapid Spin on Excadrill you are free to run a 4th move that's not defog which can be Hidden Power Fire so that you can hit Ferrothorn and Scizor.

A Defensive Rotom-Wash, is more practical on the team, since you can burn threats like azumarill and other attackers while being able to be very annoying with Pain Split. I would run this over Trick since you won't be needing a choice specs anymore. This set should be used:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I noticed Excadrill is the offensive Stealth Rocker on the team. Tyranitar would benefit more from having rocks due to its extreme bulk and good typing. Running Chople Berry on Tyranitar makes it so that you have a reliable Mega Alakazam chrck , and so you won't die to focus blasts while getting rocks up, or even killing said focus blaster. The new set on Tyranitar can be scene here:
Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Pursuit helps you trap psychixs like Latios and Latias, while Ice beam hits Gliscor and Garchomp Mega. Since you now have Stealth rocks on Tyranitar you can run Swords Dance/Rock Slide in the empty slot. Swords dance is for immediate wall breaking power, while rock slide hits things like Talonflame, and Charizard Y. Don't forget Garchomp is missing EV's, and should be 252 ATM 252 Speed 4Spa with a Naive nature. Also don't forget to set ATM IVS in special attackers to 0.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Roost
(Over Scizor)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance/Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

I hope this rate helped, good luck with the team. :D

Last edited:
I'm currently in a hurry so I won't go into much detail...

1) Try not to run too many Choiced Pokemon. When all is said and done your team can be taken advantage of fairly easily.
2) I suggest you add the following Pokemon into your sand based team:
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Oopse, I accidently created a better team for you. Enjoy ;)

PS: Always try to save Excadrill for last, and try to keep sandstorm active for as long as you can. Especially during the final stages of a match.

Defensive steels such as ferrothorn and Skarmory are a pain to Sand teams. But Magnezone sorts that out via trapping them [thanks to its ability] and HP Fire.

Tyranitar sets up hazards and traps psychic types for you to KO.

Slowbro performs better in a sand storm thanks to its regenerator ability.
Clefable makes a great core when paired with Slowbro and it doesn't care for Weaviles assault either. Clefable is your main weavile counter.

Threaten Pokemon:
1) Gengar (but Excadrill eats it alive once sandstorm's up, so there's that)
2) Serperior (Thankfully, it's rarely seen, but even you can rely on fast steel attacks via Excadrill and Magnezone)
...I can't think of any real counters...

Well, I guess that's it. See you later when I get back :)

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just tested out the team light suggested with no luck. Maybe I'm just getting counters, maybe just my low rating, and people have uncommon Pokemon down here. And creat0r, thanks for pointing out the missing EVs on Garchomp, showdown likes to delete my EV spreads. One thing in particular about the team light suggested that I found, is the lack of momentum. Having Magnezone was nice, the super fast volt switch helped a lot. I was hoping to keep Scizor, but there were too many physical attackers. Maybe a different team built around Scizor? But that'll be for another RMT, I suppose.

Hahaha that's okay. To be honest, I was a little tempted to replace Mega Garchomp as it tends to perform rather quite poorly on Sandteams.
The team I suggested came from a Mega Metagross I created a long time ago, with the exception of Clefable who was I replaced by Toxic-Sub Gliscor.
However, I was advised recently by someone about changing too much when suggesting a sample team for other players to use...

Oh and one last thing; about the team, I forgot to mention it earlier but it was suppose to be a sample team i.e. you try it out, and make edits along the way. So you're on the right track. All you need to do now is replace Mega Garchomp with Mega Scizor.

Lizrdspheerxx I'm sorry if this comes across as a little condescending, but could you add a few replays in your RMT? When helping others with their RMT, the more information you know about them and how they battle, they better your/our advice will be :)

So for example, it seems the sample team I created wasn't as great as I thought. However, I don't mean to sound rude or arrogant, but I'm not sure if that was because of your skill or my awful planning xD Do you know what I mean?

In any case, I took your reply on board, so I immediately went over to showdown to test the team out for myself. Here's the result (I'm Trainer Red, I record 3 battles in a row):
First Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-351693954
Second Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-351698091
Third Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-351700715

PS: Either way you're still 100% right, the team has room for improvement. But it's a sample / test team, you're not suppose to just take it and assume it's very strong (which I'm sure you did not). The only reason I won was because those players weren't very tough i.e. they were GXE score of 40-50+...My GXE is 80+

Either way, Sample teams are there for you to learn how it's built and then add some changes to them as you battle (which I'm sure you can easily do). But over all, it seems decent IMO ^^

Last edited:
Man, I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to the teams I'm matched up against. But I'm probably either not that good, or my playstyle is so different than others. That may also mean I'm bad lol but hmmm, if I swapped out Garchomp for Scizor, would that be too much of a fire weakness?

Man, I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to the teams I'm matched up against. But I'm probably either not that good, or my playstyle is so different than others. That may also mean I'm bad lol but hmmm, if I swapped out Garchomp for Scizor, would that be too much of a fire weakness?
LOL Not at all, however replacing Mega Garchomp with Mega Scizor does sound like a plan. I mean not only does it have great defenses but it can easily boost its physical attack stat via Sword Dance. You could try this set:

Mega Scizor

Speaking of Fire-Weakness, you already have both a Clefable with Flamethrower and a Magnezone with HP Fire, so you should fine ^^

Last edited:
Ehy man :)
I really like the Sand Teams but I think that are things to improve. For example Stealth Rock on Sand Rush Excadrill is really bad, because because his role in the team is to Revegekill/Letegame Sweeper or second win-con. For this reason my suggest is to try Defensive Tyranitar that in this team is the best option because is longevity, also you can try Chople Berry, because Gengar and Alakazam are annoying but since this is a Sand Based team Smooth Rock is really good option. Also other suggest is to try Ice Beam because lure Defensive Landorus and Garchomp that are the main check for Excadrill and Garchomp.
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Also this is a Sand Team and I think that Swords Dance Excadrill is the best option because gives you a second win-con that is many important in your team.
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Sword Dance
- Rapid Spin

Also Keldeo is really weakness for this team, because Excadrill don't kill it, your only swich-in is Tornadus-T but is Life Orb, for this reason my suggest is to try Amoongus>Scizor. Amoongus gives you a good check for fairy and Keldeo, also is really well in Sand Teams because allows you against many weakness also gives you a Sleep Move that helps the garchomp and Excadrill sweep.
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire

Also Venusaur is annoying and Charizard is very weakness for this team, for this reason I think that Latios>Tornadus-T Latios is really good check for this pokemon, also you can try Calm Mind that gives you a really good Stallbreaker that is important in this team. You can try Thunderbolt to helps against Bulky Water that disturbing the Garchomp sweep, also Latios gives you a second check for keldeo that is annoying because Amoongus hae the burn.
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
-Thunderbolt/Calm Mind
- Roost

A last suggest is to try Keldeo>Rotom the dark spam is really annoying for this team, also Bisharp win really easily after Sword Dance. I think that Specs is the best option because allows you against Stall that are really annoying, but Scarf is viable option because allows you against Lopunny and Alakazam (If you don't use Chople Berry on Tyra that helps against Alakazam). Hidden Power Electric also is really good because allows you against Azummarill.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs/ Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Summary of the changes:
  • Keldeo>Rotom-W
  • Latios>Tornadus-T
  • Amoongus>Scizor
  • The set on Excadrill
  • The set on Tyranitar
Team Complete:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs/ Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
-Thunderbolt/Calm Mind
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Sword Dance
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Hope help you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)