ORAS OU Mega-Gardevoir Tailwind Offense (1700 ELO)

Mega-Gardevoir Tailwind Offense

Hey how's it going guys? With ORAS coming to an end, I wanted to build a fun team that really "spices" up the ORAS OU Ladder. I wanted to use something unique while retaining viability of standard OU teams. This team satisfies both needs very well.

Teambuilding Process:
  • I started with two strong wall-breakers that take advantage of Tailwind.
  • Next, I added a Steel/Fighting check with Tailwind support.
  • Ferrothorn provides rocks while checking Steel/Water types.
  • Weavile adds speed and priority while dealing with most threats.
  • Latios because, hits hard, hazard removal, and speed.
The Team:

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Mega-Gardevoir is a fantastic wall-breaker and stall destroyer. Mega-Gardevoir breaks through most bulky pokemon that are not Steel types. Having a Modest nature allows me to do extra damage while still outspeeding Jolly Breloom and Bisharp, Jolly Dragonite, and Jolly Mega-Gyarados. Mega-Gardevoir also outspeeds every Pokemon in the OU meta with a Tailwind up (even Scarf Weavile lol). STAB attacks with Focus Blast as Fighting coverage. Taunt is nice for Chansey, Clefable, stallbreaker Mew, and stopping hazards/support moves.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Tyranitar has great offensive and defensive synergy with Mega-Gardevoir. Pursuit trapping threats such as Lati@s and Jirachi helps Mega-Gardevoir wall-break more freely. Choice Band Tyranitar also breaks through and OHKOs or 2HKOs relatively bulky OU Pokemon such as Amoongus, Clefable, Chansey, Heatran, Slowbro, and Zapdos. With a Tailwind up, Tyranitar outspeeds the entire OU meta that isn't Choice Scarf. Defensively, Tyranitar's 4x weakness to Fighting is checked by Mega-Gardevoir's 4x resistance to Fighting. Sand Stream helps vs. Mega-Charizard-Y and/or rain sweeping teams, while providing a little bit of chip damage from Sandstorm. STAB attacks with Superpower to catch other Tyranitars, Heatran, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Tailwind

Zapdos is arguably the most important Pokemon on this team. Zapdos is my main counter to Mega-Scizor and other scary Steel types that Mega-Gardevoir and Tyranitar do not appreciate. Zapdos is also a good check to Talonflame. Static is a wonderful ability for U-Turn happy players and makes your opponent think twice before clicking Close Combat freely. Potentially getting a para on the Static is beneficial for Mega-Gardevoir and Tyranitar. Volt Switch is great initiative vs. Balance, and Heat Wave to punish Mega-Scizor/Ferrothorn. Roost for reliable recovery on top of Leftovers. Tailwind to sweep late-game with one of the two threats above. 16 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and Breloom.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is another defensive backbone on the team. Ferrothorn provides my team with hazards and a reliable Fairy, Dragon, and Steel resist. Ferrothorn is great vs. opposing Hippowdon, Scarf Jirachi (Without Fire Punch), Lati@s, and Azumarill. Ferrothorn also walls Amoongus' Spore and STAB attacks, just be weary of HP Fire. Gyro Ball comes in handy vs. much faster Pokemon and can do quite a bit of damage. Power Whip is nice against Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Manaphy coming in on the switch.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Weavile provides the team with much needed speed and priority. Weavile is great at getting rid of quick threats such as Tornadus-Therian, Scarf Landorus-Therian, Lati@s, Life Orb Starmie, Scarf Tyranitar, and Mega-Pidgeot. Weavile is very good at late game sweeping. Chip damage is key for Weavile's late game sweeps. STAB attacks and Low Kick to cover opposing Tyranitar, Heatran, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Kyurem-Black, Magnezone, and Terrakion. Banded Tyranitar and Life Orb Weavile are usually too much Dark for an average team to handle (especially teams without a Dark resist.)

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Defog

Latios is a great filler for the team. Latios gives me my Dragon type to complete my Dragon, Steel, Fairy core and adds more speed to the team. Levitate allows me to avoid damage from Ground type attacks. Latios is a great check to Mega-Charizard-Y, which otherwise could be problematic to the team. Defog is my form of hazard removal on the team. Draco Meteor hits very hard with a Life Orb and Surf is to catch or pick off weakened Heatran, Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Hippowdon. Recover keeps Latios in battle longer, allowing it to handle Rotom-Wash's multiple pivots much better. Latios is probably the best Scald switch-in on the team.

Threatlist:
  • Volcarona is a huge problem with Quiver Dance. Get rocks up and DO NOT allow it to set up. Revenge kill if you have to.
  • Bisharp is a problem if it gets a free switch-in on Ferrothorn, Latios, or Tyranitar locked into anything but Superpower. Don't let it set up two SDs or Sucker Punch will be a problem.
  • Speed Boost Baton Passing teams are scary. Tailwind can help in some situations, but sometimes you just gotta click that "X" lol.
  • Clefable is just straight up broken. Calm Mind, Magic Guard can be annoying.
Copy of Team:
http://pastebin.com/JudmS4A1

Proof of Peak/The Team in Action:

Overview:
This a really fun team to ladder with while ORAS is coming to a close. Make sure to let me know what you think of the team and/or anything that can be tweaked. Thanks guys! :)

-Rezilient

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Honestly I dislike building a team around Tailwind, as 3 turns is really too little to have much effect. Don't get me wrong, I do find your team cool.

Baton Pass is actually not a threat at all since Gardevoir actually 6-0s it. Trace means that you can always outspeed Scolipede (by tracing Speed boost - just don't mega it too early). The most common BP team has 0 switch-ins to this monster and even if some mons can take a hit they actually can't do anything back.

However, your team is unfortunately really Steel weak.

Here are some suggestions:

Heatran > Ferrothorn

I honestly don't really see the point of Ferrothorn in your team. Although it's meant to check Water types, it doesn't actually do the job due to a lack of recovery which results in greater susceptibility to burns. This doesn't really matter though, since you have Latios in your team to check Waters. On the other hand, Heatran is honestly a better Steel check as many Steels tend to have a way around Ferrothorn. Heatran checks the important ones which can threaten your team though, which includes Bisharp and the fatter Steels since you have your Fire STAB and decent Speed. This thing also beats non-HP Ground Volcarona and Clefable, which is cool.

SD > Low Kick
You might want to consider this to back up your DarkSpam core. It might seem like a weird option since Weavile is so frail and wouldn't usually get to SD up without fainting. The thing with SD Weavile though, is that it SDs on forced switches. +2 Weavile is actually amazing and it could easily weaken your opponent's team for the tailwind "sweep" to take place.

Here are the sets:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Honestly I dislike building a team around Tailwind, as 3 turns is really too little to have much effect. Don't get me wrong, I do find your team cool.

Baton Pass is actually not a threat at all since Gardevoir actually 6-0s it. Trace means that you can always outspeed Scolipede (by tracing Speed boost - just don't mega it too early). The most common BP team has 0 switch-ins to this monster and even if some mons can take a hit they actually can't do anything back.

However, your team is unfortunately really Steel weak.

Here are some suggestions:

Heatran > Ferrothorn

I honestly don't really see the point of Ferrothorn in your team. Although it's meant to check Water types, it doesn't actually do the job due to a lack of recovery which results in greater susceptibility to burns. This doesn't really matter though, since you have Latios in your team to check Waters. On the other hand, Heatran is honestly a better Steel check as many Steels tend to have a way around Ferrothorn. Heatran checks the important ones which can threaten your team though, which includes Bisharp and the fatter Steels since you have your Fire STAB and decent Speed. This thing also beats non-HP Ground Volcarona and Clefable, which is cool.

SD > Low Kick
You might want to consider this to back up your DarkSpam core. It might seem like a weird option since Weavile is so frail and wouldn't usually get to SD up without fainting. The thing with SD Weavile though, is that it SDs on forced switches. +2 Weavile is actually amazing and it could easily weaken your opponent's team for the tailwind "sweep" to take place.

Here are the sets:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n
Hey man, thanks for the tips! I really agree with the Heatran > Ferrothorn now. Although since I have Taunt on Mega-Gardevoir already, do I really need Taunt on Heatran as well? or should I use something else?

here are my minor changes after sd on weavile and tran >ferro
tbolt > surf/roost/defog on lati to beat bd azumarill
cm > taunt on mgarde: you would like to sweep with garde in tailwind
consider pressure > pickpocket on weavile in case u get a bad item. Pressure is deemed useless.

here are my minor changes after sd on weavile and tran >ferro
tbolt > surf/roost/defog on lati to beat bd azumarill
cm > taunt on mgarde: you would like to sweep with garde in tailwind
consider pressure > pickpocket on weavile in case u get a bad item. Pressure is deemed useless.
thanks man, I'll definitely look into it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)