SM OU Mega Gyarados Sticky Webs

Hello. I am back for my third team showcase, and this time I am showing a new hyper sticky webs hyper offense team. Before I start, I just wanna say that I am not good at pokemon and my teambuilding skills are mediocre at best.
The Team
gyarados-mega.png
smeargle.png
bisharp.png
thundurus-t.gif
salamence.png
excadrill.png

So when I first thought about building a new team, from before I even put a pokemon, I thought that I should have at least a soft check to greninja. This is because greninja is a super huge threat in the metagame right now and a lot of my teams are very weak to it. I also usually like to build my teams around a mega, most of the time offensive, so mega gyarados came to mind. After I made the set, I realized that sticky webs would go great with mega gyarados, so I put smeargle on the team. This is where the main idea for the team came from. Now that I decided what team archetype I would use, webs, I could make the rest of my team. Bisharp fit perfectly on this team for the reason that it fits on other webs teams. It benefits greatly from the other team being slowed down and it can set up and sweep, while also having priority just in case. It also works decently well against tapu koko, which a lot of my teams also struggle against, but it does not counter it. For the next one, I got inspiration from other, more established, sticky webs teams. Normally people run tornadus on sticky webs teams, but I don't really understand why people do that when they can just use tornadus therian. This thing hits incredibly hard and has a decent speed which is good with webs, because then it can outspeed choice scarfers. This hits really hard and has a lot of good coverage. Now the next pokemon I decided to put on is a pokemon that I have not really used a lot and is a big threat, salamence. This can sweep entier teams if given the right set up. It can also eliminate threats on your opponents team very easily, which can allow your other pokemon to clean up. So after I had these five, I realized that I should have hazard removal and a choice scarfer. The obvious choice here is excadrill. Scarf excadrill is very good because it can cleanup and outspeed threats, and can check tapu koko. It was a perfect addition to the team.

Individual Sets

gyarados-mega.png

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Gyarados is really underutilized, and I think it is really good. Sacrificing some speed investment for bulk is fine because of webs. One dragon dance can make this thing a MONSTER. It has pretty good coverage with earthquake waterfall and crunch, and can hit most of the meta. Also, being a soft check to greninja, like I mentioned before, is really nice.

smeargle.png

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magic Coat
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

This is super duper standard. You put something to sleep, you get up webs, you might magic coat just to stop something, and you get up rocks. There is literally nothing else to this at all.

bisharp.png

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Also very standard. With one swords dance, this sweeps everything. The ability to have priority in sucker punch is really good and knock off is good for just getting off items and chipping at stall teams. Bisharp can just sweep if it has up a swords dance. It is also good against metagross, arguably the best pokemon in ou.

thundurus-t.gif

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

This thing hits INCREDIBLY hard. It benefits so much from webs. I don't understand why people run tornadus I on webs, when this thing just loses a little bit of speed, but there's webs so who cares, and hits way harder. Thunderbolt hits even resisted things really hard, focus blast hits magnezone and ferrorthorn, sludge wave destroys all of the tapus, and hidden power ice OHKO's lando T. This thing is so good and sweeps whole teams. The fact that it has a ground and electric immunity is really good to.

salamence.png

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Dragon Claw

Salamence can sweep entrire teams with one dragon dance, and flyinium z allows it to hit stuff randomly really hard with decent coverage. Moxie, along with decent bulk, can make this a huge threat. If you get one dragon dance, this can win the whole game. The coverage can hit most things decently hard. Nothing to special about this. I just fell like this is underrated and a really good threat. Also the fact that it is a ground immunity is great.

excadrill.png

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

This is really good because late game earthquake can just clean up, rock slide can just kill volcarona straight up, and iron head hits the tapu's very hard. Very standard, nothing special about this, just very good in case you somehow don't get your webs up. But this is a really good pokemon to round out the team.

Threats To The Team:
mega medicham.gif

Mega medicham is a huge threat to every team, including this one. The fact that this has webs, though, is really good, so I can outspeed and kill it, due to its ridiculously frail stats. Bisharp is also really good for this.

I can't really find any other threats that come to mind, but there is definitely other ones so please comment below what threats you could think of.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope that this team gets popular, because I am very proud of this one in particular.

Exportable Data: https://pastebin.com/VYQie5g5

I'm in no way an expert at Smogon OU, but if you're using Sticky Webs, wouldn't the Scarf on Excadrill be unnecessary? There might be some extremely fast Pokemon like Mega Beedrill that can outspeed even with Sticky Webs, (I didn't calc it though so don't quote me on that) but for the most part I think you should be fine without the scarf. Otherwise this seems like a good team, using a lot of Pokemon that have good potential but not enough speed.

I'm in no way an expert at Smogon OU, but if you're using Sticky Webs, wouldn't the Scarf on Excadrill be unnecessary? There might be some extremely fast Pokemon like Mega Beedrill that can outspeed even with Sticky Webs, (I didn't calc it though so don't quote me on that) but for the most part I think you should be fine without the scarf. Otherwise this seems like a good team, using a lot of Pokemon that have good potential but not enough speed.
sometimes you cant get up webs for some reason or there are levitate/ flyihng types

True, but that could apply to all of the Pokemon on the team. Excadrill won't be the answer to everything in that situation.
Just having a scarfer on any team i think is really valuable in general, and excadrill is especially good with how prevalent ground is this gen and the ability to hit levitate mons with eq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)