SM OU Mega Houndoom OU (Fun team)

Mega Houndoom recently got released on Showdown. I've been looking for a faster fire type, and the best mon I came up with was Delphox. This team is built around a Zygarde x Houndoom core with Volt-Turn and TSpikes. While Mega Houndoom doesn't have the best movepool, I created a team that I believe accommodates Mega Houndoom the best.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Houndoom is the basis of the team. Its fast powerful with decent STABs, and mediocre movepool. Sludge Bomb keeps fairy types from switching in, and hits Tangrowth if you don't want to miss. Any +2 move for this mon punches a hole or allows it to sweep. The biggest problem is that Greninja outspeeds it and ohko's it.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Glare

While this also loses to Gren, Zygarde is a great partner to Houndoom.This thing takes nice hits, and has a move that only has few resists. Pretty standard Band set with Glare to cripple switch ins. Extreme Speed picks off things that Houndoom doesn't take. Not much to say about this.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

I wanted to develop a Volt turn core to minimize checks to Zygarde and Houndoom. I decided to go with Magnezone to eat fairy, electric, and ice hits at the same time, trap steel types and damage teams. Health stats has the potential to keep Greninja from 2hko'ing it.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Haze

This is my true SpDef wall for my team. This is the best thing I have for Gren and Fairies. I also needed Hazard Removal and TSpikes to ensure damage rolls.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Tangrowth is my main Defensive wall. I decided to go with a standard Rocky Helmet. Knock Off to rid items of potential Choice items that hurt my team (leftovers too i guess). Earthquake on the off chance Heatran switches in on it.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I needed speed control, a rocker, and a sweeper. At first, I was going to use a dual dance set with rockium Z, but I found it too gimmicky for my team. The only abnormal thing about this set is Stealth Rock because I wanted rocks over Knock Off.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Glare

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Haze

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Threats:
-Fast Psychic types like Alakazam run through my team if rocks are on my side.
-There aren't any Protean Gren counter if Tentacruel gets chipped.
-Specs Keldeo isn't too much of a problem, but is very annoying.
-Tapu Lele isn't that bad with the combination of Houndoom and Tentacruel.
-Tapu Fini is a problem if it isn't chipped enough.

Conclusion: This is a really fun team, but don't expect it to go too far. Mega Houndoom definitely has its limits, but can easily threaten the entire OU meta. There are many changes that can be made with this team such as Jolly Zygarde and Lando, and HP Grass Houndoom, but theses worked the best for me. Leave other suggestions or spread changes if I missed anything. Thank you.

Team admirable. Problems though. Has trouble vs. much of metagame, team fluency lacking.

Goal of team, use Houndoom to eliminate all enemies after Houndoom checks/counters are dead. To achieve goal, team must be able to do so.

Notes:
  • No
    . Goal of team, win with Houndoom. Magnezone used when team has heavy trouble vs. Steel-types. Houndoom, no trouble vs. Steel-types. Magnezone unneeded.
  • can easily kill entire team. Higher SpA than Dialga, can easily kill Magnezone and Tangrowth. Water Shuriken stops Landorus-T. Tentacruel handles enemy OK, but can't heal self. Must find way to stop Greninja-Ash.
  • can easily kill entire team. Greninja with Protean ability, high damage vs. everyone. Only Landorus-T can attempt retaliation.
  • can Rock Polish on Scarf Landorus-T. Is chance to heavily damage team.
Fixes:
  • loadout change. Assault Vest required. Tangrowth uses Assault Vest, can withstand Tapu Koko, Zygarde, Greninja-Ash. Can also survive Manaphy +3 Ice Beam. Helps Houndoom, stops Water/Ground-types. Can outlast, provides a lot of protection, Houndoom lives longer.
  • Change
    to
    . Celesteela fights Tapu Lele and Fairies better. Steel/Flying better than Steel/Electric, better resistances. Harder for enemy Landorus-T to finish you. Helps Houndoom, stops Fairies. Weakens, makes sweep easier.
Optional:
  • Change
    to
    . Easier to fight teams with tough walls (Chansey, Quagsire, Skarmory). Easier to fight Greninja-Ash with Ice Beam.
Greninja is still problem, as is enemy Landorus-T. If they get away with things, means big trouble. If you control their activity, should be OK.

EDIT: Forgot importables.
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpD / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Defog
- Taunt

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)