ORAS OU Mega Lopunny + Volcarona Team

Before I start I'd like to apologize I'm relatively new to ORAS metagame, I played some X/Y metagame though, and I think my team's alright. Testing this team it seems that its been doing alright, although I recently realized that my Volcarona had 252 Attack EVs for some reason so he kept dying easily and I had no clue why and that was actually really bad.. Anyhow I appreciate any help/pointers because I'm a noob

THE TEAM

The bunny

Fast physical sweeper

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Happiness: 255
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Mega Lopunny is the main Pokemon I wanted in the team for my Mega slot just because I love its playstyle and I love having it as a reliable and fast sweeper with very little setup necessary. With I-Punch it has great coverage letting it man up against Lando, and even though Weavile has Ice shard+crash he's not something I want to switch in if it isn't for revenge killing because he just dies to everything, and Lopunny has the option to Fake out+Ice punch mons that she normally couldn't, making her more reliable. The rest of the moves and ability/EVs are pretty standard, her fighting+normal moves with fake out letting her 2HKO most mons.

Special Sweeper

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

Went for the Bulky Volcarona set just because I have faith in a Quiver Dance+Fiery dance/Bug Buzz doing a good amount of damage, and I want to make sure that it's able to set up no matter what, as well as being survivable enough to stay in for multiple quiver dances and take out multiple pokemon. My Heatran is also really offensive, so its not like I have two bulky fire types on my team. Its role is obviously a special sweeper, which is needed because I have a lot of physical damage on my team, as well as Fire/Bug being good typing for getting rid of things like Bisharp/Sabeleye Really standard bulky Volcarona set Roost is super helpful if he has a hard time with any Pokemon, so he can recover from rocks or anything that brings it low.

EDIT: Switched Roost with Giga drain and Fiery Dance with Fire Blast (Ty)

Hazard Remover

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar
- Scald

My really reliable defogger as well as being able to roar sweepers that have set up. I picked this pokemon mainly to defog and setup for Volcarona, as well as being able to toxic/scald while staying alive. Its typing makes it a really useful switchin for Talonflame and even sometimes RW. Its moveset is again standard, defog to make it a hazard remover, toxic for bulky pokemon who can't cure it, scald to force certain pokemon to switch out at the risk of getting their switchins burned. Roar is a more unique move and its really useful for certain sweepers setting up, namely Volcarona or Zard X/Y, even Talonflame. Made it bulky so it doesn't get instantly taken out by Focus Blast or RW, because defog is super important for my Volcarona.

Revenge Killer

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

This pokemon compliments my team really well because it adds type coverage that I really need but lack, like poison type moves, dark type, and if I can't bring in my Mega Lopunny it has priority and powerful ice moves. Its role on the team is a Revenge Killer, and with some fodders on my team like Empoleon and sometimes Heatran, or when a scary sweeper sets up and takes out a mon (Like Azumarill or Gardevoir possibly) he can stop it from getting out of control. Really good pokemon for ORAS right now because he outspeeds a lot of threatening pokemon and has great attack with Life Orb and base 120 Attack. I opted for poison jab over other options just because I have no other poison on my team and it suits his role as a useful revenge killed for a variety of pokemon. Really useful for M-Gardevoir and a sort of low Azumarill, who previously would have eaten Weavile for dinner.

Offensive Hazard Setter

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

I picked this because he both counters Hazard Setters weak to fire like Ferrothorn/Forretress, gets off a fast Taunt, and has access to a steel cannon with a nice base 130 SpA, spooking M-Altaria as well as other fairy types. With air balloon he has a near-guaranteed Stealth Rocks (With the exception of a specially offensive Rotom W or Keldeo (possibly something else)), and Stealth rocks+Fakeout is a lot of free damage for Lopunny. For moveset I got Stealth rocks as a hazard, Flash Cannon and Fire blast as powerful offensive moves letting it man up, and Taunt because it outspeeds a lot of Hazard Setters or gimicky pokemon that want to Trick Room. All of its EVs are in SpA and Spe to outspeed and deal some respectable damage to any hazard setters/leads.

Tank

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

I actually had a Diggersby in this slot and realized that A. I had almost no answer to Rotom W or switchins for water type pokemon and B. I lacked any good Tank or bulky pokemon that can both take hits and deal them reliably. Chesnaught is actually super sustainable thanks to its access to Drain Punch + Leech Seed, as well as Leftovers. I have Woodhammer and Adamant in order to hit a Rotom W (or most water types) hard and allow it to fend for itself, as well as Spikes to help out Mega Lopunny/Volcarona sweeping with that extra damage, especially when forcing switchouts with Lopunny's fakeout or Weavile for revenge.

Threat list:
The first thing on here is Unaware Clefable who I don't really have a good answer to, I'll add the rest later.
-Emotion fighting types

That's my team for now, I think that I shouldn't really have Chesnaught and Empoleon on the same team really, and my team got a bit weird after I switched out Diggersby, so good pokemon to add/remove are appreciated. I think my coverage overall is alright, but I might need some more offense.
Again I'm a noob sorry if anything I said is incorrect, I worked really hard to find good Pokemon for each role and finding checks/counters for threatening pokemon. Testing this team its been doing ok although I've had a lot of trouble setting up/sweeping with Volcarona. I'm sure it can be better.

Last edited:
that volc set is not great in my option first of all fire blast is always prefered over fire blast and giga drain is beter over roost also hidden power ground is much beter than bug buzz i know it may sound strange but it works out so much beter in this meta

If you are going to use a Volc set (as you should use Volc, it's pretty good right now), I'd run a Quiver Dance and 3 attacks set with enough speed to creep Landorus-T at +1. 184 Speed EVs and a Timid nature gets you to 310 speed, which outruns max speed Jolly Landorus-T (309 speed). As far as attacks go, Fire Blast and Giga Drain are basically mandatory. In the last slot, I'd go with Bug Buzz. Lati@s walls a decent portion of your team, so sweeping through them is a plus. Weavile can revenge / check them, but it also doesn't want to eat a Draco Meteor so another option to get by them is nice. I'd run Earth Power on Heatran over Flash Cannon in order to beat other non-Air Balloon Heatran (all of whom wall the Volc set I suggested). I'd also swap out Empoleon for Starmie. Gives you a second Keldeo check, and it also fits better with the Spike stacking Balanced approach you have going. You don't want to get to Rocks and 1 to 2 layers of Spikes only to Defog them away.

Where did you get the Chesnaught spread? Fast Naught is an OK spread, but primarily thrives in UU as a fast Taunter. In OU it's better off investing more heavily in defenses, in order to properly check and counter physical threats like Bisharp and Mega Gyarados. I'd also run Spiky Shield over Wood Hammer, because Spiky Shield is very low risk, high reward move.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

If you are going to use a Volc set (as you should use Volc, it's pretty good right now), I'd run a Quiver Dance and 3 attacks set with enough speed to creep Landorus-T at +1. 184 Speed EVs and a Timid nature gets you to 310 speed, which outruns max speed Jolly Landorus-T (309 speed). As far as attacks go, Fire Blast and Giga Drain are basically mandatory. In the last slot, I'd go with Bug Buzz. Lati@s walls a decent portion of your team, so sweeping through them is a plus. Weavile can revenge / check them, but it also doesn't want to eat a Draco Meteor so another option to get by them is nice. I'd run Earth Power on Heatran over Flash Cannon in order to beat other non-Air Balloon Heatran (all of whom wall the Volc set I suggested). I'd also swap out Empoleon for Starmie. Gives you a second Keldeo check, and it also fits better with the Spike stacking Balanced approach you have going. You don't want to get to Rocks and 1 to 2 layers of Spikes only to Defog them away.

Where did you get the Chesnaught spread? Fast Naught is an OK spread, but primarily thrives in UU as a fast Taunter. In OU it's better off investing more heavily in defenses, in order to properly check and counter physical threats like Bisharp and Mega Gyarados. I'd also run Spiky Shield over Wood Hammer, because Spiky Shield is very low risk, high reward move.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
I would run 56 speed in ches to outspeed max speed neutral azu

I would run 56 speed in ches to outspeed max speed neutral azu
Can't do jack back if running mono-Fighting coverage like I suggested. You'd probably want to go Lopunny Fake Out then to Starmie for Psyshock or something along those lines. Or lure with Weavile, PJab and then finish with Fake Out or something.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Thanks for all the sets and fixing, I have no clue why my Chesnaught set was like that, it was actually a tank set. I also didn't notice the defog thing, pretty dumb of me. I'll change all of those ty, although Idk if my fairy coverage is good enough considering flash cannon was my M-Altaria check and my only steel move, but I'll try this anyways.

Thanks for all the sets and fixing, I have no clue why my Chesnaught set was like that, it was actually a tank set. I also didn't notice the defog thing, pretty dumb of me. I'll change all of those ty, although Idk if my fairy coverage is good enough considering flash cannon was my M-Altaria check and my only steel move, but I'll try this anyways.
You could keep Flash Cannon, just be wary that a lot of Mega Altaria these days are of the three attacks variety (and thus carry EQ). Air Balloon works once, but you could also get bopped by Fairy STAB on the switch and then the balloon's gone. Overall it's a very small change and you can really do whatever in that slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)