ORAS Ubers Mega Lucario, Primal Groudon and Yveltal are a core?

Good morning, or afternoon, or whatever it is for you when you're reading this.
This team is the result of me being bored of playing Monotype and nothing but Monotype for the past two months, and deciding to try something different. I wanted to make an offense team featuring Mega Lucario, because I loved playing with that thing in OU when XY were first released. There is no innovation from me in this team, as it uses sets and Pokemon combinations shamelessly ripped straight from this site's analyses and people's rates, but that's what such things are for, right? Let's just get to the team now, I don't know what else to say here.

The Process of Building the team
  1. As you saw above, I wanted to use Mega Lucario because its hits pack about as much force as a hundred-ton weight. So that was immediately added. The only provided set is a Swords Dance set, so I went with that.
  2. Things that resist both Fighting and Steel naturally pose a problem to the standard SD Mega Lucario, as do Will-o-wisp and Thunder Wave. The main Pokemon to resist both Fighting and Steel is Ho-oh, which is handily beaten by a Stone Edge Primal Groudon. Primal Groudon is also immune to both Will-o-wisp and Thunder Wave, which is a definite plus. The support set was my choice because it has Stealth Rock and can survive a +2 Geomancy Xerneas Focus Blast to Roar it out.
  3. With 2 Pokemon technically capable of defeating Xerneas, I was able to have my third lose to it 1-on-1. This third also needed to beat Ground-immune Dragon-types that trouble Primal Groudon - unless the Ground immunity is due to a Flying typing because then a quickie Stone Edge brings the Continent Pokemon out on top unless it misses (#StoneMiss amirite?). The only Dragon-types with Levitate that are likely to be seen in Ubers are the Eon twins, Latias and Latios, and their mega forms on occasion. They're partially Psychic-type. Yveltal is partially Dark-type, and also immune to Ground, which both Primal Groudon and Lucario are weak to. The Life Orb set maintains the offensive momentum of the team nicely, and Yveltal is not killing itself with LO recoil, thanks to Oblivion Wing.
  4. Bullet Punch and Sucker Punch are nice to have, but a Choice Scarfer is the overall best means of revenge killing. I decided upon Sky forme Shaymin, because it can also flinch things to death with Serene Grace Air Slash, outspeed +1 Mega Salamence, Seed Flare on Primal Kyogre, and use Healing Wish to give Lucario or Groudon (or my 6th) a second chance of life.
  5. Because Lucario is so frail, I continue to lack reliable answers to Fairies at this point. A second Scarfer - Genesect - can use lightning-fast STAB Iron Head to revenge unboosted Fairies, grab offensive momentum with U-turn, which also OHKOs Darkrai and any Mewtwo that is not Mega X, pick off any Dragon you'd care to name with Ice Beam, and go boom on a switch-in as a last resort.
  6. With 2 Stealth Rock weaknesses and something overly fond of U-turns, hazard control is absolutely vital. But I continue to lack it. Primal Groudon's lack of recovery also prevents it from being capable of checking Ho-oh over and over again like I'll probably need it to. These two problems have a single, shared solution. That solution is Water-type Arceus. Resisting Sacred Fire and neutral to Brave Bird, it also doesn't seem to mind paralysis that much. It can recover lost health with Recover, Defog away hazards with ease, cripple walls and some sweepers with Toxic, and drop Judgement on any Ground or Fire type not named Primal Groudon.
  7. After all this, and posting the team here, Minority Suspect pointed out my Darkrai, Mega Salamence and Ekiller weaknesses and I followed his recommendations.
  8. And then DropTheBass comes in with some amazing suggestions to make the team even better, which have also been followed. Unfortunately, the titular core has been compromised and I need the title of this topic changed now.
The sets in detail

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Tail
Presenting standard Swords Dance Mega Lucario. The objective is to sit in the back while the other Pokemon weaken or eliminate this Pokemon's counters, like Ho-oh, Aegislash and Pokemon that outspeed base 112 Jolly, then come in on either the death of a teammate or, ideally, a weak Dark-type move to activate Justified. Then Swords Dance on the turn of Mega Evolution, and use the boosts and Adaptability to rip apart everything that doesn't resist both your attacking types. Alternatively, if a boosted Geomancy Xerneas is below 50% HP, send Lucario in then and there to revenge with Bullet Punch on the Mega turn, then switch out - it can afford the Stealth Rock damage of 3.125%, after all.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Thunder Wave
Support Primal Groudon enters the battlefield with a fiery, desolate vengeance as the second Pokemon chosen for this team. The use of this Pokemon is to set up Stealth Rock in the first few turns, then either get out to something else or use Earthquake and Lava Plume to damage or remove the Pokemon sent to fight it. Thunder Wave allows it to check Geomancy Xerneas by reducing its Speed advantage, cripples predicted offensive switch-ins and allows a chance of a totally free switch to get Mega Lucario or something equally threatening in.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk​

Choice Scarf Zekrom replaces Yveltal to rain down high-power moves on the foe. Bolt Strike is an Electric STAB of incredible force, straight up OHKOing the threatening Darkrai and dealing significant damage to any Water-type you'd care to name - if it isn't part Ground-type. Outrage, while not as powerful as Kyurem-Black's, is still massive damage to anything not immune to it. Draco Meteor works as a big surprise hit on physical walls not resistant to it, such as non-Water-type support Arceus formes. Sleep Talk allows the Darkrai check, and it's reliable since Draco Meteor is the only attack not guaranteed to straight-up OHKO the master of nightmares after Stealth Rock damage.

Xerneas @ Expert Belt
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy​

Xerneas now acts as a lure, baiting such threats as Ho-oh and Steel Arceus to do significant damage to them - or just flat-out kill - with Rock Slide and Focus Blast. Moonblast, as STAB, is effectively required, and still deals a lot of damage with 252 SpA EVs, boosting nature and Fairy Aura. Aromatherapy might seem odd on an offensive set, but is greatly appreciated as the team's only status control option.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake​

Giratina. The sole resident and master of the Distortion World. A replacement to Genesect. It can defeat Extreme Killer lacking Ghost or Dark moves, due to type effectiveness (especially its Normal immunity). This allows it to beat Mega Lucario, also. It can revenge with Shadow Sneak. It can phaze with Dragon Tail. It can defeat grounded Steel- and Fire-types with Earthquake. Levitate means that the only hazard that affects it is Stealth Rock, allowing it to repeatedly Defog. This is further helped by its large amount of Defense EVs.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
The closest thing to a wall this team can claim is support Arceus-Water. Recover is an obvious mandate because otherwise this Pokemon - one whose role requires recovery - lacks it. Earth Power replaces Toxic because Toxic takes too long to work on Primal Groudon, but also leaves Arceus almost completely at the mercy of Lugia. Judgment can simply drop a 100BP Water-type hit on something, which provides decent damage but no more than that, due to the lack of investment. Ice Beam reduces the Mega Salamence weakness, and removes a redundancy (2 Defoggers? Come on.). It's also this set's only decent option against Lugia now that Toxic is gone.

General Strategy
In a completely ideal game, the lead is Groudon. It sets up Rocks turn 1, then works to eliminate the opposing lead. As soon as Rocks are up and one enemy Pokemon is down, Xerneas and Zekrom do as much damage as they can to the opposing team. If the opponent gets hazards, Defog with Giratina and start again with the damage to both sides. If anything dies, consider the identity of the killer. Either wall it with Arceus, cripple it with Groudon, or revenge it with either Zekrom, Bullet Punch, or Shadow Sneak. Eventually, the time will come to unleash Mega Lucario. Sacrifice something to get it in on a Pokemon it can force out, then Swords Dance. Sweep from there, type 'gg' in the chat, press 'Enter' and click the 'x' button.

Importable
Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Tail

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Thunder Wave

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Xerneas @ Expert Belt
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Lucario + Yveltal is a fine starting point for an offensive team, although I feel you need to do a better job of justifying Yveltal over Darkrai. Genesect is a pretty poor Pokemon in general, but you say you want additional pressure on Fairy-types, so why not just run U-turn over Heat Wave on Yveltal instead. The primary Pokemon that allows Fairies to come in on your team can now be used to get Mega Lucario into play more easily, and at the same time you have a new slot to cover other issues. In terms of structure, Scarf Shaymin-S also sticks out as something you may want to replace.

The build currently struggles much more against Extreme Killer Arceus than it should, as Arceus-Water doesn't really succeed in Toxic stalling it, and Bullet Punch from Mega Lucario doesn't do much damage (although you can Close Combat Adamant variants). The Pokemon that sort of want to be replaced such as Genesect and Shaymin-S are covering some big threats like Darkrai and P Ogre respectively, so when they get replaced they'll need to accommodate those needs. To start, a better way of handling EKiller should be added, and the only things that really fit for this build are Arceus-Ghost, Gira-O, and some other more obscure soft checks. I suggest going the Gira-O route as you gain another Ground-immunity, priority, a water resist, and a soft check against some other things, although you can explore the Arceus-Ghost option on your own (Latios + Arceus-Ghost most likely).

With Genesect replaced with Gira-O the team has Darkrai issues. Mega Diancie is not an option and Klefki is somewhat redundant with Mega Lucario so Scarf Xerneas over Shaymin-S is one of the choices that is able to fit. Running Scarf Xern does still let Ho-Oh in as Shaymin-S did, although you can try running Rock Slide if incoming Ho-Ohs become a nuisance. Foul Play on Yveltal over Sucker Punch helps a bit more against this and other problems. With Defog on Gira-O you have room for Ice Beam on Arceus-Water which fixes the challenges with Mega Salamence. I don't think Roar on your P Don is really a necessity as the team has Mega Lucario to revenge Xern, I would try Thunder Wave + Rock Slide or Dragon Tail or Lava Plume instead.

Summary:
- Change Genesect to Giratina-O with 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe / Adamant and Defog / Shadow Sneak / Dragon Tail / Earthquake
- Change Shaymin-S to Scarf Xerneas with 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe / Modest and Moonblast / Sleep Talk
- If Considering Rock Slide on Scarf Xern run a spread of 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe / Rash and pick another coverage move
- Change Heat Wave to U-turn on Yveltal
- Consider Foul Play over Sucker Punch on Yveltal
- Run Ice Beam over Defog on Arceus-Water
- Consider another move over Roar on P Don

Some restructure, but the principle of Mega Lucario + Yveltal + P Don is still there. Good luck with the changes.

Hi, I have some suggestions to improve your team :]

I understand that you wanted to build your team around M-Luc so I decided to stick with it. However, I would recommend a different Primal Groudon moveset of Earthquake > Precipice Blades, Lava Plume > Stone Edge and Thunder Wave > Dragon Tail. Being a defensive support pokemon, I think that the 100% accuracy of EQ is better than the extra power of PrecBlades which offensive variants would prefer. Stone Edge is really only to catch Ho-Oh which to be fair is a significant threat but I changed up the other pokemon a bit to make up for this weakness. Lava Plume is excellent in providing you with dual-STAB coverage and its useful burn chance is very helpful indeed especially versus Support Arceus formes or Lati@s that switch in. I would prefer Thunder Wave over Dragon Tail as this allows Primal Groudon to check Xerneas better, as it can stomach one +2 Moonblast and then T-wave to neuter Xerneas' blistering speed after the boost. Dragon Tail won't be able to accomplish the Xerneas check role that your team needs.

Every team needs an
Extremekiller check so the Giratina-O is fine here, no change needed. Waterceus is also great as a check to Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence and Primal Groudon, though not the best at individually checking the aforementioned threats, it's a fit-all-in-one pokemon so I think it should stay, but consider using Earth Power > Toxic to chip away at Primal Groudon since Toxic takes too long to rack up.

Seeing that your
Ho-Oh weakness is still apparent, since it puts a lot of burden on Waterceus to take multiple hard hits and your Waterceus can thus be easily overwhelmed, I suggest a different Xerneas set. A mixed attacking set with Moonblast/Rock Slide/Focus Blast/Aromatherapy with an Expert Belt is a cool lure for Ho-Oh which expect you to be the standard Geomancy or Scarf sets. Aromatherapy also provides cleric support which benefits your key players like M-Luc substantially.

With the change of set from Scarf to E-Belt lure on Xerneas,
Darkrai becomes a huge threat since it outspeeds the entire team and you auto lose one pokemon to sleep, although you do have Aromatherapy to somewhat mitigate that. I don't see Yveltal really pulling weight here as it looks more like a filler than anything with no real role, it's not a switch-in to Primal Groudon or Lati@s due to your offensive set. Thus I recommend Scarf Zekrom > Yveltal as it provides the scarf role that I took away from Xerneas, while acting as a check to Darkrai. A set of Bolt Strike/Outrage/Sleep Talk/Draco Meteor ensures that the Sleep Talked move always nails Darkrai (Bolt Strike OHKOs straight up, Outrage OHKOs after Stealth Rock damage and Draco OHKOs after a bit of chip damage). It's also a soft check to Ho-Oh in case you run out of options. While Zekrom's viability took a hit from the popularity of Primal Groudon, I think it still fits the role on your team pretty well.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Thunder Wave

EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Xerneas @ Expert Belt
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

tl;dr

Pdon: EQ, Plume and T-wave > PrecBlades, Edge and Dtail
Waterceus: Earth Power > Toxic
Xerneas: Ebelt lure set > Scarf
Scarf Zekrom > Yveltal

Hope you found the changes useful 〜(^∇^〜)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)