SM OU Mega Pidgeot Dayview Team!

Greetings all! this is Mr. Excaliburn with a mega-pidgeot team. This team i did test on the ladder for only a little bit cause of how much time I had. Also, this is my first thread post so if it looks crappy then I apologize. In this thread I will talk about the team I built for mega pidgeot and explain why they're on the team. Please leave feedback and message me to let me know if it could use some tweaking or if I used anything out of context. Without further or do, lets get into it!

The first mon to talk about is obviously the Bird Jesus himself, Mega Pidgeot!

Bird Jesus (Pidgeot) (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Ah yes the bird jesus himself mega pidgeot! This bird is blessed with the ability No Guard, so its doesn't have to worry about missing hurricane at all. And with base 135 spa and base 121 speed its able to hit hard and outspeed most mons. The problem with mega pidgeot is that other mons like tornadus-therian outclass it due to it achieving the same goals, but without having to waste a mega slot. Also, mega pidgeot's movepool is decent, but it could use some more coverage such as focus blast. Anyways, in this team, Mega-Pidgeot utilizes hurricane along with its no guard ability to hit foes hard and hopefully leave them confused. Heat wave is to tech against steels and ice mons that like to switch in or counter mega pidgeot. U-turn for momentum and roost for recovery.

Pretty simple so far? the problem is that mega pidgeot loses to mons that would potentially or exactly outspeed it like lando-t, weavile, tapu koko, greninja and special walls like chansey. For that, we have to go downstairs to our basement and wash up all of our problems. Of course, I'm talking about good ol' Rotom-Wash

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom wash pretty much covers most of mega pidgeot's problems. It has levitate, its typing makes it resistant to ice and neutral to rock and electric, and its a pivot which makes this a volturn core. Lefties for the slight recovery, its stats is to add on to its bulk so its able to sponge up physical attacks and the 20spd is for tanking dracos for latioas at full health and hurricanes from tornadus therian at full health. Volt switch is for momentum and when predicted to be used by your opp, you can switch it up and either go for will-o-wisp to burn them, or hydro pump for stab power against grounds and fires. Pain split for more recovery options and chip damage against mons at full health. The problem with rotom-wash is its recovery options. Even though it has lefties and pain split, when it comes to tanking hits, rotom-wash is usually left as a sack mon depending on the damage. Taking too much damage leaves you to wonder if you want to switch out risking your opp will predict or to just sack it and try to go for a revenge kill. But in any terms, the point of rotom-wash is to be a counter to ice and ground mons that come in since mega pidgeot doesnt like those mons at all

So far we have two mons that really support each other, but theres still something missing. Someone that can setup rocks, is able to reliable tank hits and has somewhat reliable recovery. Ah yes, Our favorite thorny friend Ferrothorn!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Yes ferrothorn, another wall to add to our collection. Ferrothorn is a great wall with the ability to utilize hazards such as stealth rocks and spikes. Iron barbs to punish physical attackers. Its stats to make it more bulky and sponge attacks from both ends. Lefties for the slight recovery. Stealth rock for hazards, Leech Seed for more recovery options, Gyro ball because ferrothorn is one of the slowest mons in OU so this move + 0 speed IV = maximum power! and power whip for water mons + stab move. Ferrothron covers the issue of having to just rely on rotom wash to tank moves. You have an extra option and something that is able to get your hazards up so you can start applying pressure to your opp.

The team is looking normal so far right? The problem with ferrothorn is that it may slowdown your momentum and its easy to tech against. Most people will have a fighting move for it (ex: tyranitar w/ Superpower) or will have a fire mon to go in and handle it. The thing is, you want to use ferrothron as a fire mon lure. Because when that fire mon comes in, Its gonna learn how to duggy :) Of course we all know Dugtrio is the 4th mon in this team!

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Ah yes, the main man that survived the suspect and is back on the streets trappin and teaching everyone how to duggy :). Dugtrio with and exceptional amount of speed is able to trap and kill off mons like tyranitar, heatran, marowak,Mega-Metagross, etc. Its stats are pretty self explanatory. Earthquake is necessary cause its stab and does a plethora of damage to foes that are trapped. Reversal is utilized at its full potential when duggy is on focus sash hp. Screech is to help weaking defensive mons like chansey, hippo, tapu fini, etc. Memento is to get rid of boosted mons stats. Mainly used after you used your focus sash (sometimes it depends on the situation)

So we got are defensive mons and our trapper, but the team is heavily weak to one thing though. It's charizard Y. It absolutely takes a huge garbodor crap on our team with no remorse. But recently, I met with the champion of sinnoh and after I defeated her, she lended me her nice and powerful garchomp :)

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Cynthia definitely didn't let me down when she gave me this nice and powerful garchomp :). Garchomp is our scarfer for the team. base 102 spe + scarf, its able to fulfill its job by outspeed mons like mmeta, tapu koko, zard y, mega pinsir, and other for a revenge kill. The stat spread is pretty self-explanatory. Earthquake for stab. Outrage for stab (please dont outrage when your opp has a fairy switchin :( it doesnt make garchomp a happy camper) Stone edge for flying foes such as zard y, mega pinsir and tornadus-therian. Poison Jab is our secret tech. I might get a lot of backlash for using it, but this is mainly for bulu and lele switchins. We all know bulu hits like a truck, so itll be hard to find something to switchin to on this team. Revenge killing the bulu isnt the problem, its dealing with the fact that on this team, you have to sack a mon or revenge kill it. Same with lele. Poison jab can easily OHKO or 2HKO these mons with a good prediction.

252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 312-368 (110.6 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With that we need one more mon on the team. I dont think people will like it, but we have to go with the best frog in the world, Greninja.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Greninja is basically the backup plan of the team. If you're having any trouble with killing off something, greninja is mainly your guy. Now I just couldnt debate whether I wanted to use greninja-ash or just normal greninja, but normal greninja seemed like a good fit. Protean ability gives all the moves it uses a stab boost. Life orb to boost its attacks. its stat spread is self-explanatory. Ice beam for ground and flying foes. Gunk shot for fairy threats like tapu fini. Hydro Pump for water stab (might be changed) and hp fire for ferrothorn, scizor and skarmory. There's literally no downsides to running greninja at the moment so yeah :)

And this concludes my team for mega pidgeot! Hopefully you guys like it. If you feel some things need to change or didn't like it, please comment below, or message me and tell me what I could do to make the team better!

Thank you!

Hi, so this is a pretty decent build you have going on here, but I have a few suggestions that could potentially make it better.

So first off you should run Work Up > U-turn on Mega Pidgeot. Reason being, you don’t have any wincon, which in this sense means a Pokemon that can win the battle. The closest you have to that is Scarf Chomp, but it can’t really do its job since your team also lacks any real wallbreaking presence. Work Up Pidgeot is the first step in the right direction since it gives you a pretty good way of really pressuring stall and balance teams (which your team really couldn’t do). I think the dedicated stallbreaker set is really situational and inherently makes you weaker to other builds without Heat Wave to round off your coverage, so I really feel that Heat Wave / Hurricane / Work Up / Roost is your best shot at really utilizing Pidgeot for it’s strengths. You also have Dugtrio for removing Chansey which is Pidgeot’s biggest annoyance on stall.

Speaking of Dugtrio, since you don’t have any hazard removal Choice Band > Focus Sash would be a better option since you still 2HKO Chansey after a bit of prior damage which will be coming from Spikes (explained later). Most of your mons are too valuable to implement hazard removal or the options really slow down the dynamics of the team. A moveset of Earthquake / Stone Edge / Sucker Punch / Memento should be run.

Greninja is a nice pick but I think you should run Spikes > Ice Beam. Spikes is really good with this type of build since it makes Garchomp’s and Mega Pidgeot’s job a lot easier against bulkier teams as well as punish offensive builds lacking hazard removal. I don’t think that the loss of Ice Beam is too monumental since Hydro Pump is pretty necessary to ensure you can setup hazards against Meg Sab, but it’s definitely an option for more reliable STAB.

>

On a side note, I also felt like a different Scarfer like Nihilego would be better since their STAB wouldn't make you a liability at times and Toxapex is pretty annoying for this team because it can be EV'ed to avoid the 2HKO from Pidgeot without a boost and Garchomp just can't break it. Terrakion can't do this either but Nihilego could with lucky double Thunder hits and its useful for handling Grasses (mainly Tangrowth) a lot better. It also switches in on Zard Y a few times with it's monstrous bulk, otherwise you just be ravaged by it since Chomp isn't switching in more than once. HP Ice seems to be a nice last slot option since you really don't want to give Zygarde and Landorus-T anymore chances to easily setup. Finally, it also cleans up a lot better due to Beast Boost and is another (albeit very frail) flying resist for another barrier against mega pinsir.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So overall, you should play your cards by getting up hazards as soon as possible then bait in mega pidgeot's grounded checks (ttar, heatran, chansey) so you can remove them with dugtrio. if dugtrio is still alive use it to trap slower weakened threats so you pick them off. be use to use memento if you need it. afterwards, you can go to town with mega pidgeot with nihilego as a backup cleaner and revenge killer in general. rotom-w is used as a pivot throughout the match on to get in what you need to get into play.

Hope these changes help, and enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)