XY OU Mega Tyranitar Team!

Would you use this team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everyone reading this! This my first OU RMT (I did a few UU RMTs on a different account) i have done, and i cant wait to here your replies. I first developed this team around Mega Ttar as i never see him being used but yet his stats were so godly, so i decided to take a shot. I am the kinda guy who builds 100 teams, and scraps them all immediately after. But this team caught my eye the very first time i ever used it- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-157994546. Literally the first time i ever used that team. So far on the ladder i am nearing the 1500s (not much time to ladder as i am a varsity football player and A student, so priorities come first. I highly suggest anyone to try out this team as it is maybe the funnest teams i have ever built

First off we began with Mega Ttar obviously. I gave him a spread that after 1 DD, he would outspeed timid Greninja by 1 point. Then i maxed out his attack with a small Hp investment. He WAS the designated setup and sweep Pokemon, but he now is mainly a pivot to Tflame and sets up and takes a few mons down before his own doom.

Next, we needed a wallcore to cover Ttar's 7 weaknesses. I first picked out Amoonguss as it is the best counter to Azumarill excluding Mega Ven and eats up water, grass, fighting, and fairy attackers. i made him my special wall, and gave him the standard set of spore sludge bomb and giga drain. Knowing, that yes Ferro is a common switch in to Amoonguss (because of the obv spore), i gave him HP Fire, knowing there were no better moves to give him.

The second part of the wallcore need to take fire, steel, psychic, ice, and ground hits. Slowbro takes 4/5 no problemo. Throw in the rocky helmet, with slack off, and wow, what a wall. He has the common spread, and is running scald, psychic and fire blast with slack off. FB obviously for incoming ferros or zones. I have debated though running ice beam on one of the slots as he is my main counter to Garchomp. +, Throw in that that is a regenerator core, and its just to perfect to work but yet it does.

Finally, to round out the core, i need someone to remove hazards as i dont want a sticky web or rocks holding back my teams offensive potential. I decided on Scizor as he has recovery, can get rid of rocks, and hits like a tank. I gave him LO to increase his already hard hits, and its perfect. I run max hp and attack to take hits and hit hard, with an adamant nature. BP and Bug Bite are the 2 offensive moves.

Now as i looked over my first 4, i noticed one thing, it was slow. Aside from the DD Ttar, we had no speed in a very fast meta. i also saw nothing wanted to take an EQ on my team, so i added a flying type. #ScrewTalonflame. i chose BANDED RECKLESS Staraptor (and no he isnt adamant :]). This thing isnt a glass cannon, it is a glass NUKE. He has become the star of the show. StarScream, here, 2HKOs essentially the entire meta. The bulkiest thing can come out, and he will severely dent. Double edge just kills so many things. And for those of you thinking, meet Heatran, ferro, zone, any of those dudes, your 1 prediction and a CC away from dying. U-turn is also there for initiative, but seldom used.

Finally, as i looked over the team for the final spot, i saw i had no true relevant Special Attacker. All my "sweepers" were physical. I chose Clefable, as wynaut? I really liked the CM softboiled set, but saw it got walled to easy. i thought about LO Magic guard, but decided on specs and WOAH! No one expects it. i originally ran moonblast, flamethrower, tbolt and ice beam. But as i started laddering i still had no surefire way of stopping incoming Heatrans, unless i over predicted. so i scrapped Tbolt as it didnt do too much for me and slapped on HP Ground, which does i believe a clean 56-66% on specially defensive Heatran.

So here is the final and current product:
mega_tyranitar_by_nganlamsong-d6qnywu.png

Mega Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
"Godzilla"
Sandstream
48 Hp, 252 Att, 208 Spe
Jolly
Dragon Dance
Crunch
Stone Edge
EQ

Mega Ttar is who we thought he was, a stud. Despite 7 weaknesses, if he gets a DD up, he can and will sweep your team. And its pretty easy to setup actually. Even a garchomps EQ cant OHKO it. With just enough bulk he can setup and sweep as it has crazy high attack, and good coverage in his moves. He dents a good part of the meta, and his main rival is Gliscor and Ferro, in which he would prefer to have previously disposed of.

amoonguss.png

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
"Mr. Shank"
Regenerator
252 Hp 252 Spd 4 Spe
Calm 0 Att Ivs
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
HP Fire
Spore

Amoonguss walls my personal assumption of the best pokemon in the current Meta, Azumarill, easy mode. Even a bellied one, can eat a hit and spore. He is a great pivot and has saved me many times when people think they can just switch into Tflame or ferro no problem (Spore, HP Fire). He is bulky and in a regenerator core like this he will eventually recover all his Hp. He also is a great counter to Rotom-W as WoW doesnt mean too too much to him and tbolt and hydro do chump damage.

1759176-lorelei_slowbro.png

Slowbro @ Slowbroite (Jk, Jk, Jk, Rocky Helmet)
"wut"
Regenerator
252 Hp 252 Def 4 Spa
Bold 0 Att Ivs
Scald
Fire Blast/Ice Beam
Psychic/Ice Beam
Slack Off

Slowbro and Amoonguss are perfect together like Lifting Weights and drinking chocolate milk. They had amazing synergy, and slowbro walls a great part of the meta game. While i did wish he hit a bit harder, no one could better fill his role. Slack off is great whenever a Tflame u-turns on him, takes rocky helmet, as i recover hp. Anything he cant wall, Amoonguss can, so its a great wallcore.

scizor_painting_by_kaptainteemo-d5irs55.jpg

Scizor @ LO
"Red Bull"
Technician
252 Hp 252 Att 4 Def
Adamant
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Roost
Defog

Scizor is a great pokemon, plain and simple. He can serve many roles on many different teams, and this is no exception. On this team, he gets rid of hazards and puts on offensive pressure with priority. Certain hazards, such as web and rocks annoy my team so he can get rid of those. He also easily handles fairies. Bug Bite also hits hard. Worst part of scizor is coming into defog and getting trapped by 'Zone. Overall tho, he is a key cog to this team.

staraptor__s_brave_bird_by_brignan-d4f5pz0.jpg

Staraptor @ Choice Band
"StarScream"
Reckless
252 Att 252 Jolly 4 Def
Jolly
Brave Bird
Double Edge
U-turn
Close Combat

StarScream is the star of the team. He just hits so so hard i dont know how else to describe it but say, he is a GLASS NUKE, not a glass cannon. He has good coverage, and hits anything hard. The toughest thing about Raptor is it is so frail that a priority moves does him in after the KO Recoil. But dont let that stop you from using the best bird in the meta. Yeah, screw Talonlame. Can Talonlame 1 shot ttar? no, can raptor? Heck yeah he can, CC Baby. but truly, the safest move to use is double edge unless ghost is around. Dont doubt him, people, dont...

clefable-charity-auction.jpeg

Clefable @ Choice Specs
"I'm a Fable"
Magic Guard
252 Hp 252 Spa 4 Def
Modest 0 Att
Moonblast
HP Ground
Ice Beam
Flamethrower

Clefable is the wildcard of this team. To be honest, i need a special attacker and something that didnt care to be statused. Because honestly, i dont want my walls taking anymore residual damage than they have to. So Clef is perfect. I first ran the CM set but was disappointed by it and now look where he is. I often lead off with clef because for people expecting a CM (Stealth rocks Lando and Ferro) mainly, they both die, instantly. Plus, Clef is perfect with its vast movepool. Oh Garchomp you are locked into outrage? Thats cute. Really, really cute. Catch this Moonblast.

Overall, i believe this is an extremely solid, fun, balanced, and extremely competitive team. I encourage anyone and everyone to use it, and i really would like suggestions and comments on the team individually and as a whole. Thanks for your time.

Hey there. I think you have a cool looking team here. Regenerator cores are super annoying and can be great for wearing your opponent down through switching since you regain HP each time you switch. However, one thing I do notice is your team's massive weakness to Mega Gardevoir.

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 271-319 (68.7 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 414-488 (95.8 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Scizor can switch in twice, but after that you're out of luck. This is especially true if you BP and hit another mon, bringing your HP down by another 10%. You have Roost, but you'd need an opportunity to use it or you'd need a good prediction to avoid taking further damage.

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 135-159 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 385-455 (138.9 - 164.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To help with this weakness I'd suggest adding a specially defensive Heatran in the last slot instead of Clefable. It resists Mega Gard's common moves and can lay down Stealth Rocks as well. Rocks would be extremely helpful in wearing your opponent's mons down as they switch to try to damage your core. I suggest Earth Power since it can surprise and 2HKO other Heatran at almost no cost to you (no risking a burn on T-tar to switch it in for an EQ). 8 Speed helps barely creep opposing Heatran if need be since they rarely even run 4 Speed.

0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 224-268 (58 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Protect

Now, unfortunately, the lack of a special hitter leaves you a bit more vulnerable to physical walls such as Gliscor and Landorus-T. However, running Ice Punch instead of Crunch on T-Tar can help eliminate these mons as well as Dragon types like Dragonite without needing to risk Stone Edge.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 300-356 (78.5 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 204-240 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 252-300 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

(First calc assumes you had a DD up prior to Lando switch in). Even at -1, you still 2HKO Landorus if you predict the switch. And if you have a DD and rocks up you have a 37.5% chance to OHKO it on the spot. Gliscor can't take a +1 Ice Punch and definitely can't take 2 +0 hits. Eliminating these bulky mons could also help open the door for Staraptor to clean up late game with powerful neutral hits.

Crunch doesn't cover much other than Latios and Latias, who, with Ice Punch, are potentially OHKO'd and definitely 2HKO'd respectively.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 236-278 (78.1 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 214-252 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

I hope these suggestions help. Test your team out some more and post the results if you need any further suggestions or advice. Happy battling.

Thanks, appreciate it but... truly i think clef is just fine and mega gard dies to raptor and dd ttar. If i have to sack i do, i know how to play around it. But ill think bout it

I agree that Raptor massive damage to Mega Gard (OHKO's with Double Edge/BB even at -1), but Staraptor is not faster than Mega Gard. If you lose the speed tie Raptor is gone and you're down a heavy hitter for nothing. Beyond Scizor, it basically gets a kill every time it switches in since nothing you have is outright faster than it and it 2HKO's all your mons at worst.

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor: 342-403 (109.9 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 258-306 (75.6 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 246-291 (62.4 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefable is a great surprise lure for defensive threats, but it leaves your team so wide open defensively. It is your team though, and if you really want to run offensive Clefable, at least slap a Life Orb on it. Specs does a bit more damage, but being able to switch moves and still not take damage on each attack is great.

You can run U-turn instead of Bug Bite so Scizor doesn't get trapped by Zone. You can also try out an spread of 248 HP / 44+ Atk / 216 SDef on Scizor. 44+ Attack is still a guaranteed OHKO on Mega Gardevoir while Hyper Voice only 4HKOs.
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 288-338 (103.9 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
44+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 330-390 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 216 SpD Mega Scizor: 92-108 (26.8 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 216 SpD Scizor: 106-126 (30.9 - 36.7%) -- 67.7% chance to 3HKO

I do agree with Trifabulous though, if you run offensive Clefable, might as well use Life Orb. You don't take recoil from it thanks to Magic Guard anyways.

EDIT: I calcd for Mega Scizor my bad lol. MGard still needs to roll high to 3HKO while BP still OHKOs. It's worth noting that going with a Careful Nature will turn Hyper Voice into 4HKO with BP still OHKOing.

Last edited:
Heatran doesn't work in place of Clefable because Gardevoir always carries focus blast/HP ground.
Instead, to remedy this, I would change Staraptor to a scarf, and give it final gambit. That way it takes down skarmory 1v1, and also helps by getting rid of annoying walls. Also replace Clefable's set with this one, Clefable needs the ability to change moves or else Heatran will switch in on moon blast and wall you. Also Clefable needs recovery or else it will be born down by common weak attacks.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Heatran doesn't work in place of Clefable because Gardevoir always carries focus blast/HP ground.
Instead, to remedy this, I would change Staraptor to a scarf, and give it final gambit. That way it takes down skarmory 1v1, and also helps by getting rid of annoying walls. Also replace Clefable's set with this one, Clefable needs the ability to change moves or else Heatran will switch in on moon blast and wall you. Also Clefable needs recovery or else it will be born down by common weak attacks.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
You are completely right. I overlooked Focus Blast as a coverage move. My mistake. In that case I agree with the Staraptor set. It still OHKO's Mega Gard and will always outspeed.

NotBruceWayne has a good Scizor set too that fits your team's needs better than the generic Choice Band spread. Thought these changes patch up your weakness to Mega Gard, I still think you should change Clefable, at least to a CM booster. A Life Orb tank just doesn't do that well since it's so slow and can't recover. Also, Ice Punch on Mega T-tar covers better than Crunch and can quickly remove some physically defensive threats from your opponent's team.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey Reckless Raptor, I'm here to help you out with your team. I think you've got some good ideas going on within this team but it could probably use a bit more direction. You've shown that Mega-Ttar is the star of the show here so I think you could do a better job helping him achieve his end goal of getting a sweep late game. The first change I would make is to run Ice Punch > Earthquake. With Aegislash out of the meta there's really no need for EQ on Mega-Ttar and Ice Punch is gonna help you get past Lando-T and Gliscor much easier. Tyranitar also has a hard time setting up against stall by itself. Skarmory for example is going to be able to Whirlwind and Roost back damage all day against Ttar, Staraptor and Scizor while switching out into Chansey against your other mons only to receive a Wish later. For these reasons I think changing Staraptor to SD + Taunt Talonflame is going to help a ton when facing stall teams and pokes like Mew which is always annoying for teams with a lot of physical threats.
Here's the set:

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 200 HP / 246 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Now that your team has some more focus the only other weakness I really see is against setup sweepers such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Char-X, Mega Ttar etc. I think your last slot of Clefable is the most replaceable so I would use Sand Rush Excadrill in that spot to help revenge things such as Char-X, Mega Pinsir, Mega Ttar while Sand is up. It also gives you a secondary sweeping option once Mega-Ttar goes down to continue the sweep.

Here's the set (there are other variations you can use but this is one I like which also fits pretty well on this team):

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Lastly I would optimize your Slowbro set to be able to take on Mega-Gyarados who could still potentially be a problem if played correctly. This is also going to help you out against opposing fast mons in general.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot

Thunder Wave is pretty obvious in that it is going to keep Gyara and mons like Char-x from being able to boost their speed too much. Grass Knot allows you to defeat Substitute variants of Mega Gyarados which would otherwise be able to destroy Slowbro.

That's all the changes I have. Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

For now, i am sticking with the same team and going to ladder as i high as i can reach, but i have very limited time, passed up 1500s now, and these are 2 recent games i have had that show how well the team meshes together.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-163491175

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-163523632 (This battle was againest someone i challenged in the OU room, and in which after i beat him i found his rating to be 1752 and a W/L of 574/326/1 and my W/L is currently 31/12

Heya, reckless staraptor, I came across your team and just wanted to point out a few things:

First I just wanted to say hell yeah staraptor is awesome and kicks serious ass with a choice band, but the fact that you only have one priority user in scizor means you might find it hard to revenge kill some threats that resist his bullet punch and can OHKO, like Mega Manectric. Have you considered trying him with a choice scarf? Reckless Brave bird/Double edge are still forces to be reckoned with even without the +1 attack.

I also absolutely love Mega T-tar and I think the dragon dance version can be really damaging if used correctly. However while using him i personally found out that sometimes Fire Punch > Crunch as it gives you the ability to OHKO ferrothorn at +1 and bitchy scizors who think they can wall you/scare you off and slow U-turn on your ass. FYI Bullet punch only does about 50% anyway.

Also, the offensive clefable looks like it has great surprise factor and firepower but maybe considering replacing the specs with a life orb, as it will still hit considerably hard, won't be locked in a single move and won't even get recoil damage thanks to magic guard.

Just to get the idea,

252+ SpA Choice Specs Clefable Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 628-740 (164.3 - 193.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Ferrothorn: 420-496 (119.3 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Clefable Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 248-292 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs

252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 546-645 (142.9 - 168.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Ferrothorn: 364-432 (103.4 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 213-255 (55.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see the notable KOs are still achieved in the same number of hits, and the difference between the power of your attacks (130% vs 150%) is probably worth being allowed to switch moves.

This is all I can think of right now, the team looks promising and good luck with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)