XY OU Mega Venusaur based team

The team

Alright so first I’d like to start off by giving some background information on the team. I had decided I was going to make an OU team every day. It was shortly into development when I decided to base a team around mega venusaur. With only 3weakness after thick fat, and great defenses, venusaur as a mega is a major threat on the field, and can do large chunks of damage to just about anything neutrally damaged by it on the field.
@ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Venusaur is always my lead for the team. Rarely do I have to switch out first turn, and if it is a threat that I know I can live, I can sleep powder them, giving me time to synthesis, and possibly get some major damage in. the only downside to sleep is that I cant poison my opponent while their asleep, and with sludge bomb, those turns are some missed opportunities for chip damage. The grass typing on venusaur is great, because it is a perfect counter to breloom, with all its moves being resisted, and a OHKO with sludge bomb.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

While venusaur is great at taking physical hits, and some special hits too, I noticed there was going to be a problem with talonflame. Its bravebird is and extreme weakness, and even flare blitz can be a threat to it. I was lookingover my potions and I decicded to go with landorus T, mainly because of the intimidate ewhich will soften the blow from talnflame, as well as his great move pool. By running stonedge I am guaranteeing that I can OHKO talonflame, and with intimidate, walling physical attackers becomes a lot easier. With U-turn I can hit grass types incase greninja dies, which is always helpful considering that a slight breeze can kill greninja. Another really important thing is earthquake, as the rest of my team is walled by steel types, but landorus gets the job done with the steel types.

@ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
At this point I realized I need something to wall that is a special attacker. Rotom Wash is one of the best in OU at special walling, and although outclassed by clefable in special defense, rotom wash has decent physical defense, and a good movepool. Now there are two means of recovery for rotom wash, the more common being leftovers. I chose to go with a rest chesto set, as it can fully restore its HP, getting maximum usage of recovery. Being able to ground and rock types can really help with rotom wash. The Will o’ Wisp really helps with walling physical attacks, and chip damage always helps.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse

I added in greninja because of the dark typing, along with its great ability and movepool. Greninja cant switch in on a hit, unless I predict the psyshock from latios onto venusaur, but people often psyshock over draco meteor, making it a goos switch. Hitting a lot of types with STAB from protean, greninja can clean up well late game. It is not often in early game unless latios comes out.

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Belly Drum
- Brick Break

Azumarill, a third water type. I was wondering whether or not I should put it on the team just for that reason, but keep in mind that I can wall its 2 weaknesses with landorus and venusaur. That aside, azumarill has done great good for the team. Being able to switch in on dragons, bluff the fairy move and belly drum as they switch, azumarill is a force to be reckoned with. I chose brick break over play rough so that I could hit steel types that wall it. Poison is hit by water, but not steel, so I went with it, and it has helped, especially against ferro, which is one of the few things I outspeed. The belly drum sitrus berry combo results in me often getting the 4x attack boost.

@ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

I chose to do something I don’t normally do with garchomp; run a focus sash. A focus sash means that I can guarantee a swords dance, and with garchomps overwhelming speed, he can pack quite a punch. I have no stealth rocks purely because it is hyper

Too many water types I dislike. And I hate your sets. Sacarf garchomp use it done. Superpower not brick break. Volt switch is better not t-bolt. Greninja scald ice beam hp fire and dark pulse. Play rough not waterfall
lol can you post a single decent post instead of one-liner comments which doesn't even make sense half of the time? At least write some explanations on some of the changes and it would make a lot more sense to both the author of the thread as well as anyone else who reads this thread.

Hello! I can see that this team has some potential but it definitely can be improved as you are running some sub-optimal sets.

Firstly, your team lacks Stealth Rock, a very useful entry hazard especially when you have a mini volt-turn core going on as it can pressure the opponent to switch out and punish them by taking a bit of chip damage at a time. I also don't see the whole point of running SashSD Garchomp when you lack hazard control support and almost every team will try to get up Stealth Rock up as quickly as possible and this breaks Garchomp's Sash. I would change Garchomp to a Specially Defensive Heatran set. Heatran gives your team a very good Stealth Rocker, as well as a Talonflame check and also an answer to CM Clefable, a pokemon that would otherwise be extremely problematic to your team. Heatran also has amazing defensive synergy with Venusaur!

Secondly, your team lacks a dedicated lategame sweeper and win-condition. Your team lacks a Scarfer and the team's only form of priority comes from Bdrum Azumarill's Aqua Jet. Honestly Bdrum Azumarill isn't even that good in OU at the moment when almost offense team has a electric which prevents Azumarill from setting up Bdrum safely. I would change your current Landorus-T set to a Scarf set as this gives your team a solid scarfer which lets you revenge-kill threats such as Adamant Mega Charizard X.

Thirdly, Leftovers Greninja hits like a wet paper bag and really needs the power of Life Orb. Scald is also a really weak move and Hydro Pump is much better as it provides Greninja the power to plough through frailer teams. Your team also looks very weak to Ferrothorn, with only Heatran being able to do enough damage to it. I would recommend running Hidden Power [Fire] over Dark Pulse as Heatran deals with Mew just fine.

Fourthly, Volt Switch is much better on Rotom-W as this makes Rotom-W a solid defensive pivot and also forming a small Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T. Volt Switch is better than Thunderbolt as it allows you to scout for opposing switch-ins such as Ferrothorn and able to pivot out into a more appropriate answer for it. Thunderbolt does have the slight increase in power, but I don't think it is any more helpful than Volt Switch's utility.

Hope I helped with this team, and good luck with it!

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi buddy i see your team its good but i have few suggestion to make

1)Lando-T use it as scrafed so that it can outspeed many gr8 mons like greninja,Lati twin etc also its common so knock off can also knock of scrafed of opp lando-t while switching

2)leftover over chesto berry and pain split over rest on Rotom-wash also u can try volt switch over thunderbolt it will help u making offencive momentum.

3)Life orb Greninja its a very strong it can then OKHO many mons with his speed and spp att

4)Av azumaril will help u lot times also moveset will be play rought,superpower,waterfall,aqua jet or knock off

5)Try bisharp over garchop wch make help to finish the game by moveset of suckerpunch,knock off,sd,iron head cuz garchomp is lack off speed and bisharp can kill by suckerpunch
have fun with the team

You're team has great potential. I see a lot of things that could be changed to make your team great. praj.pran DracoNinja I'm going to go over a few things you both went over, so don't think I'm just re posting :)

So, first let's get into Venusaur, he's pretty much good but I'd drop sleep powder for HP fire. Sleep powder has a chance to miss and can be a big let down at times. HP Fire hits Scizor and Ferrothorn Hard. Mega Venuasaur doesn't out speed much, nor does it need to. I'd put the 16 extra EV's into Sp.Atk. RestoChesto Roton-W is in the past, I'd play a choice scarf set with trick. With this set you can out speed Pokemon and lock them into choice, but that's not all you can do. If you want to you can abuse the scarf if you have a great opportunity to do so. I'd also dump some EV's in Sp.Def(I'll leave the sets at the end.) Greninja needs a life orb, this is just mandatory in my eyes, I'd also replace Dark Pulse for HP Grass / U-turn. HP Grass hits Azumarill and Keldeo, and U-turn allows you to switch out and still do damage. Assault Vest Azumarill is the preferred set, Belly Drum is a move that can't always be safely used and can waste one of your move slots. I'd replace Brick break with Play Rough since it's his strongest STAB move, and I'd put in Knock Off / Super Power for Belly drum. Lastly I would play a standard Scarfchomp. Max Atk and speed, and Replace Outrage with Dragon Claw and SD with Fire Blast(Since SD won't be needed with the scarf). I'd also take in DracoNinja's Suggestion to switch out Heatran for Garchomp. Try and use all these suggestions and make something of your own, I hope this helped and good luck ^.^

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly
Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 58 Def / 198 SpD
Calm
Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Edit: All changes have been put in bold, forgot to do so last night.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)