Mega Zard-Y team

Hello everyone, I am used to making stall teams and I'm normally not the best with offensive teams but this team so far has been my most successful offensive one (peaked around 1675). I got a lot of help from Valentine's mega zard-y thread and if you haven't already checked that out you definetly should:) well here is the team -

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam

This is the pretty much standard Zard-Y set. It's the standard because it is great at what it does and is incredibly powerful. I have flamethrower over fire blast because I HATE missing. Solarbeam hits waters hard and focus blast is great for predicted heatran/ttar switches (if it doesn't miss, 70% accuracy yeah right, more like 12%). This is my first time using Zard-Y and while the meta game has changed to the point where almost every team has a counter/check for it, it is still a very effective Pokemon and S ranked for a reason.

Bisharp (F) @ BlackGlasses
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Another first time pokemon for me. Bisharp works great with charizard by being able to pursuit trap the lati twins which wall charizard. I am running adamant max attack to maximize my damage output and max speed because I don't like being outsped. Sucker punch also adds some priority to the team.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Latios is IMO the best offensive defogger (and one of my all time favorite Pokemon) its attacks hit many things incredibly hard and thanks to psyshock it can hit on both the physical and special sides of the spectrum. I have the derbolt as my coverage move because it seems to be the most useful move I have tried in that slot.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Good ol' Scarfchomp. The revenge killer of the team, he can reliably stop otherwise dangerous Pokemon at like mega zard-x, dragonite, haxorus, mega zard-y, lati@s, heatran, etc. He also serves as a fast hazard setting lead (although tbh I don't usually use him to set up hazards because I will usually end up defogging them away anyways) but scarfchomp is a great revenge killer and definitely a dangerous Pokemon.

Keldeo (Keldeo-R) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

I have never used keldeo before, mainly due to the fact that it looks like a my little pony, but as much as I hate to admit it, this thing WRECKS stuff! Specs hydro pump is incredibly powerful (although it always seems to miss when I need it to hit even though my opponent ts never miss hydro pumps) scald is a more reliable STAB and the burn chance is nice. Secret sword is great for hitting the blobs, ttar, and bisharp and HP flying is helpful for things like chestnaught, breloom, and mega venu.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Thundurus is an amazing Pokemon, his ability to reliably stop setup sweepers with priority t-wave, bar dragonite (CURSE YOU E-SPEED AND YOUR +2 PRIORITY!) Is great, and priority taunt is great against stall teams. Thunderbolt is a very powerful STAB and HP ice is great against dragonite, gliscor, and lando. Not much else to say, thundi is just an great addition to this team.

Well there is the team, any suggestions on how to improve will be highly appreciated. I haven't found any Pokemon that really challenge this team yet, but if you can think of one please let me know and help me find a way to fix that weakness:)

Last edited:
Hey acam333. Very nice team you have here.

One thing I noticed is that if you run into BellyJet Azumarill that he might cause problems.

This is especially true if he comes in on Keldeo and is locked into Hydro Pump, which as you mentioned is both a gift (its wrecking power) and a curse (shitty accuracy syndrome).

One thing I might suggest is HP Grass > HP Flying as HP Grass effectively 2HKOs Azumarill and thus, making his Belly Drum useless.

You might think that this weakens your ability to take down Mega Venusaur, but Char-Y's Flamethrower under the Sun is more than powerful enough to 2HKO a fully invested Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur.

Another thing I would suggest is HP Fighting > Thunderbolt. As you mentioned in your comments about Bisharp, Pursuit Trapping a Lati Twin is one of the most effective ways to handle them. With that being said, HP Fighting allows you to OHKO opposing Bisharp who might be trying to fish for the fee +2 compliments of Defog.

Azumarills in general might give Latios some comp, but Psyshock can still reliably 2HKO him, so there's that to fall back on.

Hope these suggestions were helpful and good luck with your battles.

Keldeo

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Charizard-Y

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latios

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 207-243 (51.2 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 458-541 (164.1 - 193.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hey acam333. Very nice team you have here.

One thing I noticed is that if you run into BellyJet Azumarill that he might cause problems.

This is especially true if he comes in on Keldeo and is locked into Hydro Pump, which as you mentioned is both a gift (its wrecking power) and a curse (shitty accuracy syndrome).

One thing I might suggest is HP Grass > HP Flying as HP Grass effectively 2HKOs Azumarill and thus, making his Belly Drum useless.

You might think that this weakens your ability to take down Mega Venusaur, but Char-Y's Flamethrower under the Sun is more than powerful enough to 2HKO a fully invested Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur.

Another thing I would suggest is HP Fighting > Thunderbolt. As you mentioned in your comments about Bisharp, Pursuit Trapping a Lati Twin is one of the most effective ways to handle them. With that being said, HP Fighting allows you to OHKO opposing Bisharp who might be trying to fish for the fee +2 compliments of Defog.

Azumarills in general might give Latios some comp, but Psyshock can still reliably 2HKO him, so there's that to fall back on.

Hope these suggestions were helpful and good luck with your battles.

Keldeo

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Charizard-Y

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latios

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 207-243 (51.2 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 458-541 (164.1 - 193.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be trying those out because they seem like they could help a lot:)

Here are just a few suggestions :D
You should run Earthquake over Focus Miss.
Why?
Because it's a more reliable way of killing Heatran.(I don't think Focus Miss OHKOs him anyway)
P.S:Change nature to Hasty
You have a Defogger a Stealth Rocker...
That is just not teamwork.Instead run Dragon Claw or Fire Blast on Garchomp instead of rocks.
That's it.

Here are just a few suggestions :D
You should run Earthquake over Focus Miss.
Why?
Because it's a more reliable way of killing Heatran.(I don't think Focus Miss OHKOs him anyway)
P.S:Change nature to Hasty
You have a Defogger a Stealth Rocker...
That is just not teamwork.Instead run Dragon Claw or Fire Blast on Garchomp instead of rocks.
That's it.
Focus blast is mainly for tyranitar as I have multiple ways to take care of heatran anyways, I have tried earthquake before and I just didn't like it as much. I have tried fire blast and dragon claw on garchomp but it hasn't worked as well and even if you have a defogger you should still always have some kind of hazards. Thanks for the advice anyways though.

One suggestion I can think of is Deoxys D over either Thundurus or Garchomp. Would give you a more reliable method of setting up hazards.

Set would look like this:

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Or considering you have pretty much a hyper offence team, Suicide lead Deoxys S could also work:

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Fire Punch/Superpower

Worth trying anyway

In my opinion you need a rapid spinner like excadrill, but be carefull, because if you want to add excadrill, remove the bisharp (two pokemons with x2 fire weakness.

In my opinion you need a rapid spinner like excadrill, but be carefull, because if you want to add excadrill, remove the bisharp (two pokemons with x2 fire weakness.
I already have a defogger....why would I need a rapid spinner?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey,

This team is already really solid (it's pretty much the standard Zard Y build at this point), but there are a few suggestions I can make that should help to improve it, if ever-so-slightly. First, your team does have Bisharp for the Latis, but at the same time, it doesn't really enjoy taking a LO Draco and then playing Pursuit Sucker Punch mind games. Your team could also use another check to Greninja, since neither Thundurus nor Scarf Garchomp is a very good option for that. With that said, I think it would be best to use Assault Vest over Black Glasses on Bisharp. Sure the drop in power might be somewhat noticeable, but in exchange you can switch into Latios and Latias much more easily, and you can actually take on Greninja 1v1. Second, this is a matter of preference, but I'm not crazy about Taunt on Thundurus. The only thing I can think of it doing is stopping Deo leads, but Deo-D is starting to run Mental herb and Deo-S has a chance to be offensive, so going for Taunt on it is not that smart. I would instead run Knock Off, but Nasty Plot or Focus Blast are also both good options to run. Knock Off will make it easier for you to lure and take out Chansey though.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

In that case,Swords Dance>Knock off.
I've tried swords dance on here and it just doesn't work as well with this team. I am not trying to use bisharp as a sweeper and all his moves are necessary for different purposes (pursuit - pursuit trapping things/knock off - spammable move that does a good amount of damage to nearly everything and can be used to surprise opponents who set up expecting sucker punch/sucker punch - priority against faster threats/iron head - wrecks fairies) if I make any changes to bisharp it will be using assault vest over blackglasses like Halcyon. suggested.

Last edited:
Okay, I said I'd rate this team at one point, so here goes. Normally I don't rate teams, but I've experimented with Charizard Y for quite a while. A few issues are notable here:

1. Your team NEEDS Hippowdon or Tyranitar. They both have Sand Stream, so Bisharp's Special Defense will increase when in sandstorm, but also will eliminate the sun so Keldeo's water-type attacks do more damage to enemies. There's nothing worse than Keldeo being your last Pokemon, and the sun being up. Sandstorm also wrecks opposing weather teams.

2. Your team is possibly TOO offensive. It's also wrecked by Dragonite (Choice Band) everything but Bisharp is cleanly OHKO'd by Outrage - and Bisharp gets OHKO'd by Earthquake. Azumarill, Charizard X, and Greninja are other threats to the team. So, I'd recommend replacing Thundurus with Clefable or Sylveon - Sylveon brings immediate power and has cleric capabilities, but Clefable is slightly bulkier and gets two great abilities in Magic Guard and Unaware. Basically, you need more defensive Pokemon to fall back on. Here are the sets I'd recommend.

Clefable @ Leftovers - Bold Nature (Unaware)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy / Heal Bell

Sylveon @ Leftovers - Bold Nature (Pixilate)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. Attack / 252 Defense
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

3. You need sand. Hippowdon or Tyranitar should do. They'd have to replace Garchomp, however. Here are possible sets. They're also another wall to fall back on.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers - Impish/Careful Nature (Sand Stream)
EVs (if Impish): 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Defense
EVs (if Careful): 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Whirlwind / Toxic

That's all from me. Good luck on your team!

Okay, I said I'd rate this team at one point, so here goes. Normally I don't rate teams, but I've experimented with Charizard Y for quite a while. A few issues are notable here:

1. Your team NEEDS Hippowdon or Tyranitar. They both have Sand Stream, so Bisharp's Special Defense will increase when in sandstorm, but also will eliminate the sun so Keldeo's water-type attacks do more damage to enemies. There's nothing worse than Keldeo being your last Pokemon, and the sun being up. Sandstorm also wrecks opposing weather teams.

2. Your team is possibly TOO offensive. It's also wrecked by Dragonite (Choice Band) everything but Bisharp is cleanly OHKO'd by Outrage - and Bisharp gets OHKO'd by Earthquake. Azumarill, Charizard X, and Greninja are other threats to the team. So, I'd recommend replacing Thundurus with Clefable or Sylveon - Sylveon brings immediate power and has cleric capabilities, but Clefable is slightly bulkier and gets two great abilities in Magic Guard and Unaware. Basically, you need more defensive Pokemon to fall back on. Here are the sets I'd recommend.

Clefable @ Leftovers - Bold Nature (Unaware)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy / Heal Bell

Sylveon @ Leftovers - Bold Nature (Pixilate)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. Attack / 252 Defense
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

3. You need sand. Hippowdon or Tyranitar should do. They'd have to replace Garchomp, however. Here are possible sets. They're also another wall to fall back on.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers - Impish/Careful Nature (Sand Stream)
EVs (if Impish): 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Defense
EVs (if Careful): 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Whirlwind / Toxic

That's all from me. Good luck on your team!
Thanks for the rate, I have tried both hippowdon and tyranitar and as useful as always having the 5 turns of sun is when I switch in zard, the revenge killing and late game sweeping of garchomo is just overall more useful in my experience, and also only rock types get the special defense boost in sand if I remember correctly. Also this team is hyper offensive and relies a lot on keeping offensive momentum going and defensive Pokemon don't work as well on this team from what I have tried, and thundurus's prankster t-wave and taunt just seem too useful to replace, I will try out both clefable and sylveon anyways to see if the do help on a different account because I have not used them specifically on this team before. Once again thanks for the rate:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)