-Swords Dance
-Curse
-Encore
-Synthesis
-Leech Seed
-Light Screen
-Reflect

Pros:
-Decent support move pool, decent defensive Typing and solid stats for lower tiers.
-Has Swords Dance and a decently buffed physical move pool.
-It's the only Mega Pokémon in the Dex

Cons:
-It's Meganium
-Its stats are not good enough for for higher tiers.
-It lost both Toxic and Aromatherapy while it also doesn't have any consistent, real Special coverage

Terastal Potential:
It has decent flexibility, and the best ones will change depending on the tier it's being used in. Water, Fairy, Poison and Steel are solid options that cover Meganium's many weaknesses, while Fighting strengthens Body Press.
-Grass, Ground, Dark are all options for SD sets, along with Rock or Fire with Tera Blast.

Now, I'm not going to sugarcoat this. Meganium is probably going to be bad in OU. And UU. And RU. And NU. And maybe PU. This sucks as it's my favorite Pokémon and I desperately want it to be good. However, the buffs to its move pool might make it okay in the lowest tiers, and with Body Press + Encore I'm going to try it in OU as a Tusk/Gambit check. I think this might be the best Meganium's looked for low tiers since Gen 4 and I'm looking forward to using it down there.
Honestly, I'm hoping for a new Ability in a patch, maybe Regenerator, but something like Flower Veil would be better than either of the Abilities Meganium has now. It's really the last thing my baby needs to be good in low tiers. Also while I'm coping, please GF give it Sleep Powder

Potential Sets:
Utility:
Meganium @ Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow / Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
Bold/Impish Nature
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Encore / Synthesis
-Knock Off / Giga Drain

Duel Screens is traditionally some of Meganium's best support for HO teams looking for a bulky Grass Type, so next to none. However it did gain Encore, potentially giving its teammates free entry, or it can use Synthesis to live longer on more standard offense teams looking for Screens Support. Knock Off is great for removing items like Leftovers and Boots to soften up opposing teams, while Giga Drain provides a little extra sustain. SpDef is probably also good.

Defensive:
Meganium @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow / Leaf Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def/ 8 SpDef
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Fighting
Bold/Impish Nature
-Knock Off
-Giga Drain / Body Press / Body Slam / Dragon Tail
-Synthesis
-Encore / Dragon Tail

Basic bulky Meganium unfortunately lost both Toxic and Aromatherapy, two staples of this set. However, with the new moves gained Meganium give it borderline 4MSS. Knock Off helps Meganium not be useless, even against teams that have good checks to Grass Types, removing Boots from Flying Types and forcing progress. Giga Drain gives Meganium a way to threaten Water and Ground Types. Body Press gives it decent Fighting coverage while taking advantage of the defensive investment, while Body Slam gives a decent chance to paralyze. Both Encore and Dragon Tail provide a solid option to end opponent's sweeps before they can finish, whether by locking them into one move or by forcing them out.
Can do the same for SpDef but change EVs and Nature to SpDef ones.

Swords Dance:
Meganium @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Grass / Ground / Dark
Jolly / Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Petal Blizzard / Trailblaze
-Earthquake
-Knock Off

SD Meganium is one of the Pokémon of all time in higher tiers, but with its buffed coverage this generation Meganium can now hit Flying Types in a way that matters. Its solid bulk and decent speed lets Meganium set up in the lower power levels it will most certainly be in this gen. However if you fell down several flights of stairs as a child like I did, you might want to use this guy in OU. Jolly lets you outspeed Max Speed Heatran and OHKO it with Earthquake if you use this fine fellow.

SD Tera Blast
Meganium @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Fire / Rock
Jolly / Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Petal Blizzard / Trailblaze
-Tera Blast
-Knock Off / Earthquake

Tera Blast gives SD Meganium a better way to hit things that otherwise check it, such as +2 Tera Blast Fire 2hkoing Corviknight, while TB Rock gives it a way to hit most other Flying Types. Tera Fire also give the benefit of removing the risk of being burnt.

Other Options:
A Sub+Ingrain+Curse set with Lefties might be good with the right Tera and good timing, while a surprise Specs set might be ok. However, like Meganium, these are probably bad.

Last edited:
Best starter :blobthumbsup: (in-game). Bulky set (which is the one that has more chances to do something in OU), needs 16 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Kingambit and Azumarill. Body Press + Encore can check Kingambit pretty well, especially with the right Tera (Dark can actually be an option for stronger Knock Offs, Fight is an overall a worse defensive type):

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 169-199 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Def Meganium Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 272-324 (79.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As someone whose more of a lower tier player, I think this thing might not even be THAT bad down there even. A lot of the NFEs that outclassed it in prior gens no longer exist, its main competition being Bellossom I guess, who has more threat power with Strength Sap and QD, but Meganium has Knock Off and better physical bulk.

That being said, probably little use outside of PU/ZU when it inevitably drops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)