Megas For All V2 (Induction Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I have a few questions regarding some Megas(mostly their abilities):

Will Soundproof Azumarill be really viable? Its normal main gimmick is Huge Power. It seems to be a more defensive Mega, but it doesn't have reliable recovery at all.

Will Bulletproof Golem and Carracosta be viable? Bulletproof is an underwhelming ability, and while Empoleon, Ferrothorn and Cloyster can be viable because of their own reasons, these two NU Pokemon need something better IMO.

Will Analytic Hitmonchan be viable with 61 speed?

Will Luvdisc be viable with 43/90/90 defenses when Meganium has 80/135/135 defenses and the same ability? Luvdisc was given Parting Shot and has almost twice as much speed as Meganium, but is it enough for it to compete against a much better defensive option with Leech Seed?

Will Soundproof Azumarill be really viable? Its normal main gimmick is Huge Power. It seems to be a more defensive Mega, but it doesn't have reliable recovery at all.

Will Bulletproof Golem and Carracosta be viable? Bulletproof is an underwhelming ability, and while Empoleon, Ferrothorn and Cloyster can be viable because of their own reasons, these two NU Pokemon need something better IMO.

Will Luvdisc be viable with 43/90/90 defenses when Meganium has 80/135/135 defenses and the same ability? Luvdisc was given Parting Shot and has almost twice as much speed as Meganium, but is it enough for it to compete against a much better defensive option with Leech Seed?
Luvdisc is basically never gonna be viable unless we go to extremes to make it such.

I thought it was reduce by 25%, not to 25%? If I'm incorrect, then I'd suggest nerfing it. I don't feel entirely comfortable completely changing something for simplicity reason - people voted for Hibernate Ursaring, we should try our best to make that work first.

Well your example was a 4x weakness coming off of a 150 Base attack. Instant -4 attack is insane. I don't feel like pulling up the stats for whimsicott right now, but to give you an idea:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo X: 288-339 (81.3 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-4 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo X: 96-114 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

edit: Ik mewtwo X is the worst comparison ever, but I'm just trying to illustrate the damage reduction. It's more than fur coat.

1. Sure. The effects are vastly different, but I don't see anything wrong regarding situations where they aren't.
2. Because they're completely different. It's not like pollinate vs. prankster; the only thing they have in common is activation on sleeping.
3. It's a tricky game. We can't be arrogant enough to assume we can predict how viable everything is gonna be in a pet mod adding an enormous amount of content. On the other hand, skipping this stage would leave us twiddling our thumbs waiting for the code whilst being stared down by blatantly OP shit.
4. See above.
5. Holy crap, remove fire punch. Didn't realize it was added.
Yeah it's reduce to 25%. What about making it 50% instead?

You could argue the same for Cotton Guard Furfrou, which takes ridiculously low amounts of damage from physical attacks, and that's a Pokémon that changes its own stats. We can all agree that raising your own stats is more viable than lowering the opponent's, and I haven't seen many Cotton Guard Furfrou (or Cotton Guard at all) in any of the standard or other metagames that I play. Sure, Trickster would force a bunch of switches, but so do would Yawn and any other status-lowering move of less potency.

So do you think I should start a poll/voting phase for a) Removing Fire Punch from Haxorus and b) Changing Mega Cryogonal's Clear Ice to Ice Age?

We'll address those later. We're currently reviewing particular newly-created abilities.

You could argue the same for Cotton Guard Furfrou, which takes ridiculously low amounts of damage from physical attacks, and that's a Pokémon that changes its own stats. We can all agree that raising your own stats is more viable than lowering the opponent's, and I haven't seen many Cotton Guard Furfrou (or Cotton Guard at all) in any of the standard or other metagames that I play. Sure, Trickster would force a bunch of switches, but so do would Yawn and any other status-lowering move of less potency.

So do you think I should start a poll/voting phase for a) Removing Fire Punch from Haxorus and b) Changing Mega Cryogonal's Clear Ice to Ice Age?

We'll address those later. We're currently reviewing particular newly-created abilities.
I think starting a vote for those two plus also possibly on trickster, and the remaking the Wormadams (since the discussion for that in particular has come to a conclusion.)

I know this is a bit old, but with regards to Judoka and the weights of each Mega, every official Mega increases in weight. We can just apply a simple XX% or +100, but they wouldn't all stay the same.

I know this is a bit old, but with regards to Judoka and the weights of each Mega, every official Mega increases in weight. We can just apply a simple XX% or +100, but they wouldn't all stay the same.
In regards to this, the average weight gain across the 30 megas in XY (Mega Lati@s are included) in 14.7%. Interestingly enough only one pokemon loses mass (Mega Mewtwo Y who loses 76.6 % of its weight) and only three pokemon have a weight gain significantly over 30% (Houndoom with 44.1%, Charizard X with 55, and Mawile with 104%)

Okay, so we'll add another slate set of Pokémon for which we will host submission and voting phases. simsims2800 , your statement still stands.

Please submit new Megas for the Wormadam trio, but try to keep them as close as possible to their current Megas. Same or similar stat spread with different abilities is one way to do it; same or similar abilities with new different stat spread is another. Either way, keep some of the creative design of the original winners.

Additionally, please vote on Haxorus' moves and Mega Cryogonal's abilities here: http://strawpoll.me/2935740
I will check the results in about 24 hours.

Mega Wormadam-Grass
Type: Bug/Grass -> Bug/Grass
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Forest Armour (All damage from Special Moves are halved)
New Moves: Bug Buzz, Recover

HP: 60 -> 60
Atk: 59 -> 59 (+0)
Def: 89 ->115 (+26)
SpA: 79 -> 115 (+36)
SpD: 105 ->145 (+40)
Spe: 36 ->30 (-6)
BST: 424 -> 524

So I kept the same stat spread and changed the ability to make it the ultimate special wall! Kept bug buzz from the original mega and added recover for longevity.

Mega Wormadam-Sandy
Type: Bug/Grass -> Bug/Ground
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Sandy Armour (All damage from Physical Moves are halved)
New Moves: X-Scissor, Recover

Atk: 79 -> 115 (+36)
Def: 105 ->145 (+40)
SpA: 59 -> 59 (+0)
SpD: 89 ->115 (+26)

So I kept the same stat spread and changed the ability to make it the ultimate Physical wall! Changed bug buzz from the original mega to X-scissor so it has about the same usefulness as bug buzz for Plantdam and added recover for longevity.

Mega Wormadam-Trash
Type: Bug/Grass -> Bug/Steel
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Trashy Armour (All damage is reduced by 25%)
New Moves: Stockpile, Recover

Atk: 69 -> 92 (+23)
Def: 95 ->125 (+30)
SpA: 69 -> 92 (+23)
SpD: 95 ->125 (+30)

So I kept the same stat spread and changed the ability to make it the ultimate Mixed wall! Kept Stockpile from the original mega and added recover for longevity.

Last edited:
Polls would be fine. :-]

That's because:
a) Furfrou has no offensive presence
b) has terrible typing
c) is still vulnerable to special attacks

If your worried about whimsicott being too weak, add synthesis to its move pool or something.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Wormadam-Grass
Type: Bug/Grass -> Bug/Grass
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Compost Collect (Raises the user's Defense stat by one stage, at the end of each turn in battle. Immunity to Grass.)
New Moves: Bug Buzz, Stockpile, Synthesis

Atk: 59 -> 59 (+0)
Def: 85 ->111 (+26)

I think giving it a Defense Speed Boost type of ability might make it viable. It already has an alright Special Defense, and Stockpile and Synthesis make it an even better wall.
It gets Bug Buzz, Stockpile and Synthesis because it is a bug/plant thing that stockpiles on plants.

Wormadam-Ground
Type: Bug/Ground -> Bug/Ground
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Dirt Collect (Raises the user's Special Defense stat by one stage, at the end of each turn in battle. Immunity to Ground.)
New Moves: Megahorn, Stockpile, Recover

SpD: 85 ->111 (+26)

I think giving it a Special Defense Speed Boost type of ability might make it viable. It already has an alright Defense, and Stockpile and Recovery make it an even better wall.
It gets Stockpile and Recover because it stockpiles and recovers dirt. It gets Megahorn because:

Mega Wormadam-Steel
Type: Bug/Steel -> Bug/Steel
Abilities: Anticipation/Overcoat -> Scrap Collect (Raises the user's Defense and Special Defense stat by one stage, at the end of each 2 turns in battle. Immunity to Steel.)
New Moves: Sticky Web, Stockpile, Recover

I think giving it a Defense AND Special Defense Speed Boost type of ability might make it viable. A viable set would most certainly have Protect and/or Substitute to abuse this ability, since it takes twice as much turns to activate compared to Speed Boost and variants. It is a nice support with Sticky Web as well.
It gets Sticky Web, Stockpile and Synthesis because it is a bagworm thing that stockpiles and recovers trash.

Last edited:
Sabreholo your Wormadam-Steel has mistakes in stats. Just letting you know so you can fix them
before we vote.

Anyways, I know this ability is probably too complicated, so if you want me to delete the post just say the word, nightsitter.
Type: Bug/Grass (Same)
Abilities: Anticipation (Overcoat) -> Mold Setter (Ignores opponents offensive abilities; it is a defensive Mold Breaker:
Adaptability, Mold Breaker and Teravolt/Turboblaze(both abilities would be negated), Huge Power, Pure Power, all -ates, Analytic, Dark Aura, Fairy Aura, Hustle, Iron Fist, Mega Launcher, Overgrow, Torrent, Blaze, Parental Bond, Reckless, Rivalry, Sand Force, Sheer Force, Sniper, Strong Jaw, Swarm, Technician, Tinted Lens, and Tough Claws; Accumulation, Amplifier, Awakened Power, Benthic, Combo Artist, Corrosion, Dream Fulfillment (the damage part), Doppler, Judoka, Petrified, Precision, Scavenger, Storm Force, Swordsman, Unadaptable, and Valiant.

New Moves: Bug Buzz, Stockpile, Synthesis

Atk: 59 -> 59
Def: 85 ->115 (+30)
Spe: 36 -> 30 (-6)

It now has an incredible niche as a specially defensive pokemon that can easily wall pokemon like Mega Gardevoir and can do fairly well against Porygon-Z. It can heal, set up its defenses and stall its opponents out.

Type: Bug/Ground (Same)
Abilities: Anticipation (Overcoat) -> Mold Setter (Ignores opponents offensive abilities:
Adaptability, Mold Breaker and Teravolt/Turboblaze(both abilities would be negated), Huge Power, Pure Power, all -ates, Analytic, Dark Aura, Fairy Aura, Hustle, Iron Fist, Mega Launcher, Overgrow, Torrent, Blaze, Parental Bond, Reckless, Rivalry, Sand Force, Sheer Force, Sniper, Strong Jaw, Swarm, Technician, Tinted Lens, and Tough Claws; Accumulation, Amplifier, Awakened Power, Benthic, Combo Artist, Corrosion, Dream Fulfillment (the damage part), Doppler, Judoka, Petrified, Precision, Scavenger, Storm Force, Swordsman, Unadaptable, and Valiant.

New Moves: Recover, Stockpile, Megahorn

SpD: 85 ->115 (+30)

It now has an incredible niche in being a physically defensive mon that can easily block pokemon like Mega Medicham and Bisharp. It also has a tiny offensive presence with megahorn and earthquake off of a 115 attack stat. It sadly cannot block azumarill as effectively as it could if it was a different typing. It still blocks it as it only has 50 attack with no Huge/Pure Power boost, but the super effective moves hurt.

Type: Bug/Steel (Same)
Abilities: Anticipation (Overcoat) -> Mold Setter (Ignores opponents offensive abilities:

New Moves: Stockpile, Bug Buzz, Recover

This ability gives it a niche that makes it able to block pokemon like Azumarill and Gardevoir and other popular OU mons. This specific mon is mixed defensively and offensively, letting it run nearly any EVs it wants, although defensive ones would probably be better. It has a good typing with only one weakness in fire type.

Last edited:
Type: Bug/Grass
Ability: Anticipation/Overcoat>>>Forage(If this pokemon is hit by a steel, grass, ground, or bug type attack instead of taking damage it raises all of its 5 core stats 1 stage and heals 1/4th of its HP)
Stats: 60/59/85/79/105/36>>>60/59/125/119/145/16
Movepool: +Sticky Web +Toxic Spikes +Recover

Type: Bug/Ground
Ability: Anticipation/Overcoat>>>Forage(If this pokemon is hit by a steel, grass, ground, or bug type attack instead of taking damage it raises all of its 5 core stats 1 stage and heals 1/4th of its HP)
Stats: 60/79/105/59/85/36>>>60/119/145/59/125/16
Movepool: +Sticky Web +Spikes +Recover

Type: Bug/Steel
Stats: 60/69/95/69/95/36>>>60/69/155/69/155/16
Movepool: +Sticky Web +Stealth Rock +Recover

Basically the ability is a spinoff of the abilities of the original wormadam-mega's abilities except viable.
The stats are: +40 to each of its 3 highest stats, -20 speed. Trash only has 2 highest stats so it got +60 in both of those and -20 speed.

Cryogonal gets Ice Age and Haxorus loses Fire Punch. Thanks for your votes.

I will extend the submission period for Wormadam in case some are sitting on ideas. Try to avoid making overly-complex abilities (a few submissions contain these).

Wormadam Trash
Bug/Steel

Ability:
Scrap Heap: When hit by a Steel type move, Defence and Special Defense are raised one stage.

+Metal Burst, Recover, Stockpile

Wormadam Sandy
Bug/Ground

Ability:
Dirtpile: When hit by a Ground type move, Special Defense is raised two stages.

+Stealth Rock, Recover, Stockpile

Wormadam Plant
Bug/Grass

Ability:
Compost: When hit by a Grass type move, Defense is raised two stages.

+Sticky Web, Recover, Stockpile

Stats and typing remain the same as originals, but their abilities do different things now.

Mega Wormadam (Plant Cloak)

Bug/Grass ----> Bug/Grass

Anticipation/Overcoat ----> Germinate (User's Normal-type moves become Grass-type and deal 30% more damage)

60/59/85/79/105/36 ----> 60/59/115/125/145/20 (+0/+0/+30/+46/+40/-16)

New Moves: Bug Buzz, Hyper Voice, Recover

Mega Wormadam takes on a bulky offense role with Germinate, getting a powerful Grass-type move in Hyper Voice with no drawbacks. Its bulk lets it survive several hits, while Recover lets it heal back up again. The stat spread is the exact same with slightly less speed and slightly more Special Attack.

Mega Wormadam (Sandy Cloak)

Bug/Ground ----> Bug/Ground

Anticipation/Overcoat ----> Excavate (User's Normal-type moves become Ground-type and deal 30% more damage)

60/79/105/59/85/36 ----> 60/125/145/59/115/24 (+0/+46/+40/+0/+30/-16)

Mega Wormadam takes on a bulky offense role with Excavate, getting a powerful Ground-type move in Return with no drawbacks. Its bulk lets it survive several hits, while Recover lets it heal back up again. The stat spread is the exact same with slightly less speed and slightly more Attack.

Mega Wormadam (Trash Cloak)

Bug/Grass ----> Bug/Steel

Anticipation/Overcoat ----> Metallate (User's Normal-type moves become Steel-type and deal 30% more damage)

60/69/95/69/95/36 ----> 60/97/125/97/125/24 (+0/+26/+30/+26/+30/-16)

Wormadam takes on a bulky offense role with Metallate, getting powerful Steel-type moves with Hyper Voice and Return, both which have no drawbacks. Its bulk lets it survive several hits, while Recover lets it heal back up again. The stat spread remains exactly the same but with slightly less speed and a bit more Attack and Special Attack.

While I'm on the topic of -ate abilities, could we change the name of Ignate to an actual word? All the other -ate abilities are actual words. I was thinking maybe immolate could work, because it means to kill or offer as a sacrifice, especially by burning.

Also, Sabreholo, the someone, and Deathly ♛The King, Wormadam Plant Form's Defense and Wormadam Sandy Form's Special Defense are actually 85, not 89 :P.

Last edited:
All typings remain the same. All get the ability Scarecrow upon Mega Evolution. Basically they just get much scarier. I like this ability because it helps the one with the worst typing the most (removing 4x weakness), helps the one with the middling typing the most middling amount (removing 2x weakness) and helps the one with the best typing the least (removing neutrality). Stats remain the same as the already-submitted winners except for the pointless speed drop. They all get Heal Order (bug type recovery), flavorful bug-type status move, and flavorful secondary-type status move (Metal Burst is physical, but whatever)
New Moves: Heal Order, Sticky Web, Leech Seed
Atk: 59 -> 59
Def: 85 -> 115 (+30)
SpA: 79 -> 109 (+30)
SpD: 105 -> 145 (+40)
Spe: 36 -> 36
New Moves: Heal Order, Infestation, Spikes
Atk: 79 -> 109 (+30)
SpD: 85 ->115 (+30)
New Moves: Heal Order, Defend Order, Metal Burst
Atk: 69 -> 84 (+15)
Def: 95 -> 130 (+35)
SpA: 69 -> 84 (+15)
SpD: 95 -> 130 (+35)

PLEASE LOOK AT ALL SEVEN SUBMISSIONS FOR THE WORMADAM TRIO, AND PM ME YOUR FAVORITE THREE SETS IN PREFERENTIAL ORDER.

Welp, we only got a few votes, but it looks like my set won (see above post). I'll add them to the spreadsheet.

We still need to address the following abilities before moving on:

Hibernate+Sweet Dreams: How about Hibernate makes the user take 50% less damage instead of 75%?
Raider+Tempest: Still don't like these. I say we simply reslate the two Pokémon.
Scavenger: A 100% boost would make it a hell of a lot more viable without making it broken. Keep in mind how underwhelming its attack stat is without an item.
Soulless: Probably a little uncompetitive, but I can't think of anything else that would make Shedinja viable. UNLESS it gets an ability called "Hazardous Remains" (or something along those lines) that sets up full layers of every hazard on the opposing team's side when it faints.
Trickster: Lol this is not a good ability. Whimsicott still wouldn't make it out of RU with this. I would recommend reslating.

Welp, we only got a few votes, but it looks like my set won (see above post). I'll add them to the spreadsheet.

We still need to address the following abilities before moving on:

Hibernate+Sweet Dreams: How about Hibernate makes the user take 50% less damage instead of 75%?
Raider+Tempest: Still don't like these. I say we simply reslate the two Pokémon.
Agree on Raider/Tempest, but fully stand by Hibernate. 75% was chosen for a very specific reason: sleep is an awful status, and Rest/Talk is only viable with a drastic benefit, especially given Ursa's lack of resists. It only has two more moves with this strategy, and needs both for coverage (even then, it's limited). Bulk Up could be chosen, but unlike Suicune, Ursa has no awesome single-move attack option, let alone a STAB one. I'm strongly in favor of Hibernate staying as-is.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Aww. Those abilities seemed cool to use.
Scavenger: A 100% boost would make it a hell of a lot more viable without making it broken. Keep in mind how underwhelming its attack stat is without an item.
How about give all of its physical moves a 25% or 50% recovery of the damage dealt plus the current 50% attack boost? It would completely fit since vultures eat the abandoned corpses and it would make it a lot more bulkier, similar to the original Mandibuzz.
Soulless: Probably a little uncompetitive, but I can't think of anything else that would make Shedinja viable. UNLESS it gets an ability called "Hazardous Remains" (or something along those lines) that sets up full layers of every hazard on the opposing team's side when it faints.
The current ability makes it a poor man's Banette. We should reslate it IMO.
Trickster: Lol this is not a good ability. Whimsicott still wouldn't make it out of RU with this.
What if Trickster inverted the effects of held items? Along with its current effect maybe? I don't know if that would be too complex, but it would be very viable.

Trickster: Lol this is not a good ability. Whimsicott still wouldn't make it out of RU with this. I would recommend reslating.
I'm gonna stay adamant about this. You wanna make whimsicott more viable, give it a better stat distribution, or give it some good moves to its movepool. Trickster is not a flawed concept and is actually a very powerful ability. You're stuck in a mindset of "Stat drops = not viable" which is a hasty generalization fallacy, get more proof than a 4x Super Effective attack.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I'm gonna stay adamant about this. You wanna make whimsicott more viable, give it a better stat distribution, or give it some good moves to its movepool. Trickster is not a flawed concept and is actually a very powerful ability. You're stuck in a mindset of "Stat drops = not viable" which is a hasty generalization fallacy, get more proof than a 4x Super Effective attack.
Not sure if this is really relevant here, but isn't Sticky Web viable? It doesn't waste a turn every time it lowers the opponent's speed, but it is viable.

Not sure if this is really relevant here, but isn't Sticky Web viable? It doesn't waste a turn every time it lowers the opponent's speed, but it is viable.
While I appreciate you trying to help, that's not really relevant as it can't be removed by just switching out (which is what the argument against stat drops hinges on.)

What could Whimsicott do in return, though? Subseed? Deal a little bit of damage with its STAB attacks? It doesn't have nearly enough moveslots to let it run everything it would want, and even then, it'd just be another subseeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)