Megas For All V2 (Induction Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that different than Mega Blastoise or Mega Heracross. It's also still weak to Stealth Rock and two other common types.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Snorlax is way too overpowered. There have been mentions of 84/118/141 being phenomenal and 109/114/129 being super, but 160/85/140 bulk completely destroys the competition. Switch into any special Pokemon and you're guaranteed to win. A RestTalk set is completely viable, especially with Toxic Spikes support.
This thing also has 140 Attack. Yes, you heard it right.
Also, it can trap Pokemon for teammates to switch in and force a switch, allowing easy set up (Scizor against... Uh... Slurpuff for example).
252+ SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Snorlax: 232-276 (44.2 - 52.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO - It survives this with possibly half of its HP. That's insane.
252+ SpA Mega Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Snorlax: 196-232 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Kyurem Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Snorlax: 135-159 (25.7 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO - Again, one of the Megas that was deemed overpowered is completely walled by MegaSnorlax.

A physically defensive set can take hits and possibly kill Assault Vest Conkeldurr. (Not sure why anyone would do this though...)
252 Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Snorlax: 206-246 (39.3 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mega Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 153-181 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO

Some other random calcs:
4 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Snorlax: 186-219 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Snorlax: 114-135 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- 1.5% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Snorlax: 102-121 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Mega Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 117-138 (22.3 - 26.3%) -- 11.3% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 190-224 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax in Sun: 195-231 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 180-213 (60.6 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 125-148 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 92.7% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Snorlax: 220-261 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (LOL)

...I kinda had fun with this.

I think Mega Blissey might be a lil overpowered, it has more physical bulk than suicune and could easily run a nasty calm mind, and unlike Suicune or MegaBro its special side is nigh-untouchable even without any CM boosts- lol, it could even run max spattk max+ def without any consequence. Unlike Suicune it has reliable recovery and unlike bro it has a way to get rid of status without resttalk. I suppose normal isn't exactly the best STAB out there, but I can still easily see this being overwhelming.

Also, I feel like Escavalier X is probably overpowered and a bit too unflavourful- like ok, it loses its shell and becomes speedy but I'm not sure why its losing its whole chivalrous knight thing to become dark. In terms of actual mechanics, Precision boosted pin missile coming off of base 165 attack? Considering an average of 3 hits that's 150bp, nevermind if it actually gets the 5 and would be counters are slammed with 250bp of pain. I mean, this is potentially 1hkoing CharY after rocks, it's 3hkoing spdef Heatran after rocks, even fully invested skarmory is losing 25% of its health and that's a 4x resist. Meanwhile it outspeeds half the meta and its bulk still isn't awful, this seems pretty clearly OP to me.

Not entirely sure where rock/fairy gigalith is coming from. Golurk X losing its ghost type doesn't make much sense either.

http://strawpoll.me/3115108

Let's get to voting! Strawpoll allowed me to create only 30 options, so I had to exclude Mega Snorlax (I don't think it's anywhere near broken anyways lol). It, along with whatever other Pokémon we suggest to vote on, will be included in the next strawpoll(s). I personally think that quite a few more Pokémon deserve consideration for excessive power or uncompetitiveness.

EDIT: PLEASE CONSIDER THAT OP COULD ALSO MEAN THAT MOVEPOOL ADDITIONS POWER UP THE BASE FORM TOO MUCH, OR YOU JUST THINK SOMETHING SMALL SHOULD BE REMOVED

I'm not going to really comment too much on the strawpoll since I've not actually PLAYED using any of the Megas touted as OP. We don't yet know how this metagame would function. I don't like just relying solely on theorymon. Especially with so many variables.

I am looking foweard to actually being able to play this metagame that has been created. I want to try out various MegaChan sets [Because I designed it to be flexiable with a viable Agility set to mix up from the slow Analytical tank]

Darmanitan Y, Porygon-Z, Marowak, Klinklang, Durant, Kyurem-N, Raichu, and Lanturn will be changed at some point in the future. Diggersby, Empoleon, Stunfisk, and Delibird will be included in the next strawpoll because they received more than 50% votes to change, but not the cutoff of 60%. Do not discuss potential changes to the listed Pokémon. Continue to submit paragraphs about Pokémon that you feel may be overpowered, for we aren't even halfway finished with this yet. I'll write up quite a few more this weekend when I finally have the time

Hmmmm. I wasn't aware of the changes that happened. Yet I'm surprised that someone actually put a much more balanced Mega Cinccino on this thread, probably after learning of my infamous set that won many months ago. But still, I find her new one good. Though Icicle Crash Mega Mantine? I find that move questionable in a few ways besides the multi hit perspective. I just checked Showdown. And the Tier ain't established yet. So, what's left to discuss here? Buffs and nerfs?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Hmmmm. I wasn't aware of the changes that happened. Yet I'm surprised that someone actually put a much more balanced Mega Cinccino on this thread, probably after learning of my infamous set that won many months ago. But still, I find her new one good. Though Icicle Crash Mega Mantine? I find that move questionable in a few ways besides the multi hit perspective. I just checked Showdown. And the Tier ain't established yet. So, what's left to discuss here? Buffs and nerfs?
Right now we are discussing which megae should be nerfed

Okay, I kinda expected a bigger response. Don't bother writing a lengthy paragraph as long as you have solid, concise justification.

Weezing should not acquire Slack Off, so hopefully we can change that.
Victini reaches absurd power and speed, and it also gains Calm Mind. Neither of those things should happen to anything with a movepool like his.
Phione gets both Slack Off and Unaware, a devastating combination with 80/125/125 bulk and a pure Water typing. Could be balanced, but it at least deserves a mention here.
Illumise has Bulk Up+Ignate+Extreme Speed. Probably balanced with a mediocre stat spread and awful Bug/Fire typing, but it reaches absurd priority power after a few boosts.
Celebi shouldn't have that kind of speed with that kind of power. Very similar to Victini here. Gardener could very well be the issue, but it's just so goddamn flavorful.

Please continue to contribute, everyone!

Okay, I kinda expected a bigger response. Don't bother writing a lengthy paragraph as long as you have solid, concise justification.

Weezing should not acquire Slack Off, so hopefully we can change that.
Victini reaches absurd power and speed, and it also gains Calm Mind. Neither of those things should happen to anything with a movepool like his.
Phione gets both Slack Off and Unaware, a devastating combination with 80/125/125 bulk and a pure Water typing. Could be balanced, but it at least deserves a mention here.
Illumise has Bulk Up+Ignate+Extreme Speed. Probably balanced with a mediocre stat spread and awful Bug/Fire typing, but it reaches absurd priority power after a few boosts.
Celebi shouldn't have that kind of speed with that kind of power. Very similar to Victini here. Gardener could very well be the issue, but it's just so goddamn flavorful.

Please continue to contribute, everyone!
It is actually rather difficult to break Phione; consider Mega Glalie, who has the exact same base stats but went offensive rather than defensive. Slack Off and Unaware is a rather potent combination, but outside of that what else is really distinguishing it from other bulky Megas?
I agree about Illumise. Either dropping Bulk Up or ExtremeSpeed could fix the issue, but not both.
Dropping Celebi's speed and moving some into Attack would be a fairly easy fix in this case. Don't need to buff its defenses, at least. Keeping Gardener for flavor reasons is also A-Ok in my book.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh wow I completely forgot to give my reasoning for some stuff, might as well do it now

Darmantian Y needs a different ability, Brute Force is beyond broken on this pokemon, I'm honestly not sure what ability we should give it, I think Vital Spirit could be both flavorful and balanced though

Porygon-Z should get a new abillity, Levitate might be good

Marowak should get an attack drop, as well as the removal of sucker punch. Right now its essentially a Mega Mawile on steroids, and I believe doing these things will fix it. A stat spread of 60/90/135/75/105/60 would be better for it

Klinklang should probably just lose some speed, because its wonderful speed tier is probably what makes it broken, a stat spread of 60/140/135/90/110/85 is more appropriate

Durant should lose access to Will-O-Wisp and Flare Blitz should be replaced with a weaker fire type move (I'm thinkng Fire Fang). Also, it should get a attack drop and maybe also a defense drop, maybe a stat spread of 58/144/122/63/68/129 would work

Kyurem-N needs both a speed and special attack drop, not sure on an exact stat spread, but 125/150/125/150/125/85 seems to be the most balanced and flavorful, also it might need a different abillity, maybe the classic Pressure

Raichu
needs to lose access to Extreme Speed, that is all.

I am clueless on how to nerf Lanturn.

As for what should be nerfed, here are a couple megas

If we were still in the XY metagame and not the ORAS metagame I wouldn't be saying this, but Mega Kecleon is broken. It's got a good speed boosting move, and thanks to ORAS it has a shitton of coverage, also it's attack stat is quite high so it can be a physical attacker, as well as it Special Defense and reliable recovery to make it a good special wall, although the latter isn't to much of a concern. I would recommend a Attack Drop

I'm ashamed to say this because I am the creator of this mega, but Mega Dusknoir is kinda broken, while it's not as broken as some other megas (Cough Cough Darmanitan Y, Cough Cough Lanturn, Cough Cough Kyurem-N) its still kinda broken, one of the best typings in the game, access to knock off, good bulk, and auto trick room are a bit of a concern. I would recommend the removal of its Dark Type and Knock Off

Last edited:
Arcanine should not get Baton Pass. It doesn't need 4 move additions and Baton Pass is the least necessary of them. Not much reason to keep it.
Armaldo seems a bit underwhelming with its poor typing, low Speed, and weakness to Stealth Rock and burn.
Avalugg's typing is pretty bad for it and Sturdy is a really bad for a Spinner like it.

Blissey's physical bulk makes it a bit overwhelming as a wall. 60 Defense doesn't seem like much, but with 255 HP, it extremely bulky especially with 145 SpD on the side. For example, using a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Calm:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 196-231 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 259-306 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 252-297 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 270-318 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 307-363 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 238-282 (33.3 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I mean, this is kind of insane and requires you to have a Fighting type ready or a Swords Dance user. It's not even passive or Taunt-bait because of that 115 base SpA.
Crawdaunt doesn't seem bulky enough to survive in the metagame. I'm honestly not too sure about it, but it needs to be looked into.
Cresselia might also be too bulky like Blissey, but at least it's typing isn't that great.

More to come hopefully.
EDIT: When I created Mega Raichu, I suggested to remove its Fairy typing if it became overpowered (but keep Pixilate). I still believe that this would be the best solution, as it keeps its niche without becoming overpowered.
EDIT2: Crossed out the underpowered megas. Will bring them up later when appropriate.

Also, are some thought, I think removing Extremespeed on Raichu would be a good solution as well if Raichu's too weak without the Fairy STAB.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Arcanine should not get Baton Pass. It doesn't need 4 move additions and Baton Pass is the least necessary of them. Not much reason to keep it.
Armaldo seems a bit underwhelming with its poor typing, low Speed, and weakness to Stealth Rock and burn.
Avalugg's typing is pretty bad for it and Sturdy is a really bad for a Spinner like it.
Blissey's physical bulk makes it a bit overwhelming as a wall. 60 Defense doesn't seem like much, but with 255 HP, it extremely bulky especially with 145 SpD on the side. For example, using a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Calm:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 196-231 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 259-306 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 252-297 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 270-318 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 307-363 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 238-282 (33.3 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I mean, this is kind of insane and requires you to have a Fighting type ready or a Swords Dance user. It's not even passive or Taunt-bait because of that 115 base SpA.
Crawdaunt doesn't seem bulky enough to survive in the metagame. I'm honestly not too sure about it, but it needs to be looked into.
Cresselia might also be too bulky like Blissey, but at least it's typing isn't that great.

More to come hopefully.
EDIT: When I created Mega Raichu, I suggested to remove its Fairy typing if it became overpowered (but keep Pixilate). I still believe that this would be the best solution, as it keeps its niche without becoming overpowered.
Where doing OP Megas not UP Megas

Just get rid of hyper voice and the added special coverage. It's balanced because it doesn't hit hard bar fakespeed, which any defensive fairy resist can switch into. The issue I see with Raichu is that it can run a special set/mixed to muscle through its would be checks.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would host it, if I had a custom client. If anyone can help me set one up I'll host it.
I don't know why it's needed, but according to the coder it is.

I'm desperately sorry about my inactivity recently; I've been hella busy with musical endeavors and a bunch of other personal stuff. Currently compiling fun new lists to examine! Hopefully I'll be more consistently active now

Last edited:
Anyway, sorry for double post, but the following list of 15 Pokemon will be included in the next strawpoll deciding whether or not we will change them. Start discussing them so we can see the reasoning for both sides.

Arcanine
Blissey
Celebi
Cresselia
Delibird
Diggersby
Dusknoir
Empoleon
Illumise
Kecleon
Phione
Snorlax
Stunfisk
Victini
Weezing

I personally agree that Baton Pass should be removed from Arcanine, but that it's not overpowered in any way. Blissey is pretty borderline, but I think I like it. Celebi is too stronk with that stat distribution and NP+auto terrain. Cresselia is also pretty bulky, but its ability is so useless when it already has reliable recovery that I think it just might be balanced. I'm hella uncomfortable with adding more Wonder Guarders, so Delibird is one of my least favorite on this list. On the fence about Diggersby, but I think now that Slack Off is gone from Dusknoir, he's a healthy addition to the metagame. Empoleon is too bulky for its typing and addition of Roost, but I'm fine with Illumise (maybe take away Bulk Up? Its typing is pretty shitty though). Kecleon should be okay. I'm leaning towards editing Phione's and Stunfisk's stats, but I love their designs. Victini's stats are too insane, and Weezing should not get Slack Off.

Snorlax, along with all the other trapping mons we designed, I think should be entirely reslated. The idea of introducing Megas with such an uncompetitive ability contradicts the point of creating a balanced, competitive metagame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)