Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

:pyroar:

1. DrPumpkinz
2. The Damned
3. chemicalmines (SV)
4. Gravity Monkey

:hoopa:

1. War Incarnate
2. okispokis
3. DrPumpkinz
4. BlueRay

:lapras:
1. The Damned
2. ItzaDelta & Vipotis
3. LordThemberchaud
4. Lysion

:carbink:
1. Gaboswampert
2. chemicalmines (SV)
3. The Damned
4. okispokis

ItzaDelta

formerly I-Deepblue-I
:pyroar: I made a furry joke on the original post for this..no, you can't see it.
1. okispokis
2. ItzaDelta (SV)
3. DrPumpkinz
4. chemicalmines
5. The Damned

"Hoopa Loops!"
1. DrPumpkinz (Can you blame me? It's so fun..)
2. BlueRay
3. War Incarnate
4. okispokis
5. L0rd Fernado

"It is said the Loch Ness Monster causes all cameras to record at their lowest possible resolution."
1. ItzaDelta & Vipotis (SV)
2. Lysion
3. DrPumpkinz
4. Paulluxx
5. The Damned

"Hear me out...almost every Carbink submission was peak and I'll try to explain why."
1. EeveeGirl1380

Adapting a Pokemon that already shared so many traits in common with base Diancie to also have the same abilities in their mega formes while still having them function entirely differently?! Chef's kiss for me.

2. DrPumpkinz

Similar to last sub, it takes on Diancie's traits and creates something entirely different with it. In this case, it's a more hyper-offensive, "rush-down" version of Mega Diancie. Much less fancy, which is perfect.

3. Gaboswampert

Love your take at adapting Carbink's already existing niche in the lower tiers to a mega! Definitely nice to see this cool mix of a conventional wall and a hard-hitter.

4/5. The Damned/Chemical Mines

Are ties allowed? I don't know and this is a mostly inconsequential one. Anyways..
Both of these subs play out practically the same way, but I like them regardless. That communist Carbink fanfiction goes unbelievably hard by the way.
I think I prefer Chemical's stat spread more than The Damned's, but the latter introduced me to the Heal Bell ground-immune Mega-Carbink I didn't know I needed.

6. LordThemberchaud

Carbink and Serene Grace are a match made in heaven, i'm convinced. I don't mind that this is slow (I'd be horrified if it wasn't), as Diamond Storm gives Carbink a different rock STAB to abuse, and Serene Grace Moonblast is just insane.

7. okispokis

I love the idea! Mirror Armor is a very compelling ability that is sadly slapped onto a Pokemon that doesn't really care about its effect, but I think your mon has the right tools to abuse it! An Intimidate-punishing Trick Room setter is definitely nothing to scoff at! >:D

8. awaterbucketonlava

This is fun. Shell Smash is a bit unnecessary since it won't use it anyways, but it's cool giving a mon that's on the weaker side an insane ability. Hazard setting, CM sweeping, all these sound cool!

1. DrPumpkinz
2. The Damned
3. chemicalmines
4. okispokis

1. BlueRay
2. DrPumpkinz
3. okispokis
4. Lord Themberchaud

1. ItzaDelta & Vipotis
2. Lysion (SV)
3. Paulluxx
4. DrPumpkinz

1. okispokis
2. EeveeGirl1380
3. DrPumpkinz
4. The Damned

:Pyroar:
1. DrPumpkinz
2. The Damned
3. okispokis
4. chemicalmines
5. LordThemberchaud

6. Gravity Monkey
7. ItzaDelta
8. Gaboswampert
9. awaterbucketonlava

:Hoopa:
1. okispokis
2. BlueRay
3. DrPumpkinz
4. LordThemberchaud

5. Lysion
6. War Incarnate
7. Totally_Odette
8. Lord Fernado

:Lapras:
1. BlueRay
2. okispokis
3. DrPumpkinz
4. Lysion
5. The Damned

6. Paulluxx
7. LordThemberchaud
8. chemicalmines
9. ItzaDelta & Vipotis
10. Gaboswampert

:Carbink:
1. Turtlek
2. The Damned
3. DrPumpkinz
4. chemicalmines
5. okispokis

6. LordThemberchaud
7. EeveeGirl1380
8. Gaboswampert
9. awaterbucketonlava

LordThemberchaud
The Damned
Dr. Pumpkinz
Eeveegirl1380
chemicalmines

LordThemberchaud
Dr. Pumpkinz
The Damned
ItzaDelta and Vipotis
okispokis

BlueRay
Dr. Pumpkinz
LordThemberchaud
War Incarnate
Totally_Odette

The Damned
chemicalmines
LordThemberchaud
ItzaDelta
Gravity Monkey

:Lapras:
1. ItzaDelta + Vipotis
  • Lapras is a friend; while I tried to go for that angle with my Lapras, I think this one is the sub that does that angle the best. Misty Surge and Wish are pretty much the perfect combination of support flavor- wise, keeping its teammates free of status and topped off with meaty Wishes (both of which are also very handy for Lapras itself); I also like how Misty improves Lapras' match-up versus Dragon types, allowing it to tank Dragon hits as well as hit them super-effectively (besides M. Drud, of course). If Kalos meta has to have one terrain setter, I do love it being a Misty Terrain setter given its more passive nature and to make up for it being the one terrain without any setters in base Paldea. Also curious to see what kind of effect this could have on VGC. Overall, probably my favorite sub of the slate!
2. DrPumpkinz
  • A bit simple, but sometimes simple is the perfect fit for a sub. Marvel Scale with a SpD buff makes Lapras great at exploiting opposing Scald, allowing it to continue its role as a Water type which counter other Water types. RestTalk is always funny and Lapras is naturally primed to exploit it since Surf + Freeze-Dry get at least neutral damage on almost everything; also just nice for making use of that natural bulk. Normally this much into an attacking stat would be a turnoff for me, but I think in this case in works pretty well in the context of the sub.
3. LordThemberchaud
  • I love seeing Abilities being repurposed on something that can actually use them well, and this Lapras sub is a great example. While not explicitly stated, I feel this idea pairs really well with Lapras' traditional role as a Water type that soft counters other Waters, as this thing is well-primed to exploit Scald spam. Water Compaction Lapras looks straight up demonic depending on how you use it, though reliance on Wish and hazard weakness at least mean it shouldn't be too obnoxious to face in Singles.
4. Lysion
  • New Ice STAB goes "brrrrr!", in more ways than one. :psysly: I like how Refrigerate finally allows Lapras to utilize Dragon Dance in a non-gimmicky way, and I appreciate the consideration for SpA so it potentially has a way around other Water types.
5. okispokis
  • Self-promotion lol.

:Pyroar:
1. ItzaDelta
  • Delta truly is on fire this slate. :psysly: In seriousness, I really love the idea of burn Merciless, and I think Pyroar is an interesting user given its natural lack of SpA boosting. I like how this thing pairs with burn, using the crit mechanic to deal more damage to Fire resists, such as using burn to fire off stronger Hyper Voices versus Water types; in that regard, I love how this potentially pairs with Scald users to exploit the natural impulse to switch your own bulky Water into Scald. Burning Jealousy is a great addition for VGC, letting Pyroar set-up its ability itself and pairing well with how Pyroar's STAB options function in Doubles.
2. okispokis
  • Self-promotion lol.
3. The Damned
  • If we have to get a non-Misty terrain setter in Kalos, this seems like an interesting way to go about it. Pyroar may not get STAB advantage from terrain, but I like how it uses the weakening of EQ to better bring out Fire's defensive qualities while letting it better heal off Rocks damage. Energy Ball and Scorching Sands are a fine fit for Pyroar's previously limited movepool, hitting just the right things without being overwhelming. The flavor is admittedly a bit stretchy, but the pros of this sub easily outway that.
4. LordThemberchaud
  • Looks a bit weak, but if you wanted to try salvaging Moxie on Pyroar I think this is probably the best way to go about it. STAB combo is strong, you can potentially mine use from Wild Charge for Water types of Crunch for Ghost types, and SpA can potentially weasel your way around certain checks.

:Carbink:
1. okispokis
  • Self-promotion lol.
2. The Damned
  • I really like both of the anti-Ground subs for Carbink, but the addition of Heal Bell is going to tilt me towards The Damned's sub. Also the description reaffirms my political views, viva la Revolution! Love how this ability pairs with Carbink's potential to be a set-up gremlin, pairing well with Carbink's natural and bulk having Draining Kiss as a nice option to pair with the never-crit set. I appreciate how Heal Bell can also give you more freedom to go mono-Attack, but also deceptively gives this sub some flexibility as a general tank thanks to its support options like Rocks and how much it can naturally hit between its STAB options and Earth Power.
3. chemicalmines
  • While I did prefer The Damned's take, that's not to say this sub is entirely outclassed; Earth Eater may be all the rage now, but Levitate does mean this Carbink has less to fear from hazards. Past that, this has a lot of what I liked about the other anti-Ground sub, with Mystical Fire bringing a distinct flavor of degeneracy to this take on Carbink. Honestly, MF could be an interesting element in Doubles, granting Carbink another support option for its team that still smacks Steel types Super-Effectively.
4. DrPumpkinz
  • Carbink is one of those mons I'd prefer taking a bulkier direction, but that aside this sub still catches my eye in a good way. Dazzling is a simple ability that fits Carbink like a glove while pairing really well with the extreme stat rearrangement. As the description says, Dazzling shields it from more than a few distinct moves; also funny to think how this could help in VGC. Dazzling could make a very funny pairing with Sturdy pre-Mega.

:Hoopa:
1. DrPumpkinz
  • This ability looks extremely stupid; get this sub in the game ASAP.
2. okispokis
  • Self-promotion lol.
3. LordThemberchaud
  • Hoopa is a little prankster, so this ability fits it perfectly flavor-wise. Prankster Screens is interesting seeing as Screens HO hasn't really been a thing in Kalos Dex due to the lack of good setters; while Screens HO can get very stupid, the inability to hold Light Clay means I don't see it as a negative for the meta here. Also Prankster Destiny Bond is very funny and I love it as a way of exploiting Hoopa's super weaknesses.
4. War Incarnate
  • Not going to lie, I am a bit scared of this from a balance point of view. That said, this is another funny sub and one that fits Hoopa like a glove, making Hoopa a terrific disrupter; I especially love doing this with Dark type moves given their focus on offensive utility. I mainly like how this messes with Knock Off, turning the tables on what is otherwise the most spammable move; past that, I think the main benefits will be making Hoopa Taunt-proof and screwing up Parting Shot in NatDex formats.

1) Gaboswampert
2) DrPumpkinz
3) Itzadelta
4) Chemicalmines

1) War Incarnate
2) Okispokis
3) Blueray

1) DrPumpkinz
2) Itzadelta & Vipotis
3) Paulluxx
4) Thedamned
5) Lordthemberchaud

1) TheDamned
2) Eeveegirl
3) Chemicalmines
4) Lordthemberchaud
5) DrPumpkinz

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Hi everyone! I am sad because after like 100 years the image url on my dumb pagebreak image broke and now all my old posts look dumb lol.
Before I get started, a quick run-down of how this works:
  • Each vote contributes one point to its first-place choice
  • The candidates are ordered based on both the number of first-place votes and the number of total votes, and eliminated from the bottom
  • Any vote whose first choice has been eliminated instead gives its point to its second choice, or whatever its next ranking is. (On the sheet, points that have moved in this manner are highlighted in yellow.)
  • The elimination and re-ranking process continues until there are two remaining, upon which the one with more points is the winner.
  • You can view the whole thing on this spreadsheet.
Without further ado...
:lapras: Mega Lapras: ItzaDelta & Vipotis !!!
EPIC COLLAB WITH Vipotis (I forgot to credit him i'm so sorry man)
:xy/lapras:
Name: Mega-Lapras
Typing: Water/Ice
Ability: Misty Surge
Stats:

HP: 130
ATK: 95 (+10)
DEF: 90 (+10)
SPA: 135 (+50)
SPD: 125 (+30)
SPE: 60 (+0)

New Moves: Wish.

Misty Surge is an easy fit for Lapras, as the ability already has a connection to the water both in name and in its signature user, Tapu Fini. Lapras also has had a somewhat mysterious feel to it, being a somewhat rare Pokemon in the early generations due to it being endangered.

Anyways, Mega Lapras makes good use of Misty Surge both for itself and for its teammates. Its brand new 125 special attack stat makes it quite threatening with its stupidly good STAB combo in Water + Freeze Dry (you can also go Thunderbolt + Ice Beam if you wish for a stronger Ice move), and being immune to status makes it very difficult to deal with for more defensive teams. Misty Surge also gives it what is essentially a Dragon resistance, making it decent at switching into Draco Meteors and Outrages. Wish is the last part of this submission and it fits perfectly well with this Lapras. Recovery lets it check more offensive Pokemon while making it hard to wear down, its huge HP stat lets it pass big Wishes to its teammates, while still supporting them with Misty Terrain and it is not bothered by being forced to run Wish + Protect, as it really only needs 2 attacks to pose a huge offensive threat.
1695591165332.png

:carbink: Mega Carbink: okispokis !!!
:sv/Carbink:
Carbink- Mega
Rock/Fairy
Ability: Clear Body/Sturdy-> Mirror Armor
Stats
HP: 50
Atk: 60 (+10)
Def: 155 (+5)
SpA: 120 (+70)
SpD: 155 (+5)
Spe: 60 (+10)

Carbink gets shiny upon Mega evolution, straight up reflective to the point where it reflects any stat changes back at the opponent; not to mention it makes a funny parallel to Mega Diancie's own Magic Bounce. In Singles, Carbink's immunity to stat drops allows it to serve as a never-crit sweeper with Calm Mind and potential Iron Defense; STAB Moonblast serves as a solid STAB while Meteor Beam grants a greedier option that can boost your power even further, with Earth Power or Body Press giving it options for chunking Steel types. That said, you might also want Rest to give yourself some recovery.

Now, VGC is where this thing gets very interesting, especially with how notable Intimidate is, while also punishing support options like Snarl or Icy Wind. Mirror Armor is even handier thanks to Carbink's access to Trick Room, granting it an interesting niche as a TR setter that punishes Intimidate. Dazzling Gleam is decent as a STAB spread move, with its single-target options like Power Gem, Earth Power, Moonblast or your choice of Hidden Power to smack whatever you want.
1695591524806.png

:hoopa: Mega Hoopa (Confined): DrPumpkinz !!!
:sv/hoopa:
Mega Hoopa
Type:
Psychic / Ghost
Ability: Hyperspace Mayhem (Hyperspace Hole now summons a random restricted legendary Pokemon to attack in Mega Hoopa's place)
All Pokemon summoned have no EVs, random IVs (three of them are guaranteed to be 31), a random nature, and a regular chance to be shiny. Pokemon with multiple non-hidden abilities will randomly select one, though that doesn't apply to any of the summonable Pokemon as of now. In any case, most of the abilities don't actually do much, since the Pokemon only sticks around long enough to fire off their one attack.

:mewtwo:Psystrike
:ho-oh:Sacred Fire
:lugia:Aeroblast
:groudon:Precipice Blades (Drought sets up sun)
:kyogre:Origin Pulse (Drizzle sets up rain)
:rayquaza:Dragon Ascent (if Mega Hoopa should be brought back in a format using gen 9 mechanics, Ice-types under snow won't have boosted Defense due to Air Lock; I don't think disabling weather for just one attack accomplishes anything else but I could be wrong)
:dialga:Roar of Time
:palkia:Spacial Rend
:giratina-origin:Shadow Force (charge-up period is skipped)
:reshiram:Blue Flare (Turboblaze ignores abilities)
:zekrom:Bolt Strike (Teravolt ignores abilities)
:kyurem:Glaciate
:xerneas:Geomancy (charge-up period is skipped, Hoopa recieves the stat boosts)
:yveltal:Oblivion Wing (Hoopa recieves the healing)
:zygarde-complete:Core Enforcer
:cosmog:Teleport (Cosmog flees the battle before it has the chance to be put back in the bag Hoopa Ring; Hoopa does not teleport away with it, the attack just does nothing)
:solgaleo:Sunsteel Strike
:lunala:Moongeist Beam
:necrozma-ultra:Light That Burns the Sky (Neuroforce powers up a super effective hit)
:zacian-crowned:Behemoth Blade (Intrepid Sword boosts Zacian's Attack)
:zamazenta-crowned:Behemoth Bash
:eternatus:Eternabeam
:calyrex-ice:Glacial Lance (Unnerve prevents Yache Berry)
:calyrex-shadow:Astral Barrage (Unnerve prevents Kasib Berry)

That's all for this format, but if Mega Hoopa worms its way back in future formats, legendaries past gen 8 can also be summoned.
:koraidon:Collision Course (also sets sun)
:miraidon:Electro Drift (also sets electric terrain)
and maybe Ogrepon or Terapagos too, we'll see how they turn out.
Stats:
HP: 80Att: 150 (+40)Def: 70 (+10)SpA: 160 (+10)SpD: 160 (+30)Spe: 80 (+10)
Mythical who's responsible for a generation's legendary catching mechanic? Hoopa may be confined, but I am unbound. It's time to get weird.
1695591837200.png

:pyroar::pyroar-f: Mega Pyroar: The Damned !!!
:sm/pyroar:
Pyroar-Mega
New Ability:
Grassy Surge
Type: Fire/Normal

New Stats:
HP:
Attack: 068 → 068 (+00)
Defense: 072 → 092 (+20)
Special Attack: 109 → 149 (+40)
Special Defense: 066 → 086 (+20)
Speed: 106 → 126 (+20)
(BST: 507 → 607)

New Moves:
Energy Ball, Grassy Terrain, Morning Sun, and Scorching Sands.
Description: "Pyroar-Mega brings both a regal air of arrogance and its grassy hunting grounds with it wherever it stalks as seeks out prey to burn and deafen."

It seems a bit weird to have one of the non-Misty Surge terrain abilities be attached to a mon that isn't even of the type, but Grassy Terrain does fit a real-life lion(ness)'s hunting grounds of the grassy savannahs. Of all the non-Misty Surge terrains, Grassy Terrain also tends to be the most impactful and helpful team player to a (non-HO) team given its healing and its halving of Earthquake's damage. The latter is useful to a Fire mon, mitigating its Ground weakness on the physical side, which having another attacking move that can burn in the form of Scorching Sands helps too. The rest of the new moves play off that as well, and Grass and Ground just so happen to both bully the Rock types would resist its actual STABs even before the pseudo-STAB that Grass now. All this while getting to retain a resistance to U-Turn and thus switch in a bit more aggressively against all the pivoting than an actual Grass mon likely could with Grass's resistance to Volt Switch and Flip Turn. Finally, Grassy Terrain is obviously rather helpful in VGC for most of the same reasons it is in Singles and can be used in conjunction more easily with a Sun setter to power up the Solar Beam that poor, infinitely disappointing Pyroar already has. (I vaguely considered giving it Court Change instead of Morning Sun initially, but it ultimately can't use that better than Cinderace due to shared typing even now with recovery and better speed--4MSS strikes and a lack of item strike again.)
1695591373136.png

samuraispin.gif

And with that, we've reached the scope of this season! Thanks you all so much for bearing with us as we continue to figure this out, and stay tuned because there's more in store!

As you may or may not have heard via the Discord, we are proceeding to a break of some length for a new M4A Premier League!!
Make sure to check out the Discord (linked in frontpost) if you're interested in participating or spectating, and we'll (probably?) keep the thread posted with updates on it as well.

Beyond that, we don't really know what the future of M4A has in store for us, but we'll of course keep you posted on any decisions, updates or other news regarding the future of the mod!

That should about do it for me today. As always, I hope you're having a good one! :lunatone::solrock:

Dear community,

with a new team tournament approaching, it's high time to focus on balance changes, concerning both M4A NatDex Singles and, to a lesser extent, M4A Kalos Singles. As usual, I will provide explanations for each Pokémon, and it's up to you whether you agree with the balance suggestions. To participate, you only need fill out the Balance Poll, which you can find below. You have to log in with your account. But no worries, no one will be able to see your email! You have until next Thursday, 23:59, GMT +2, to participate in the poll.

:Bisharp: Since Mega Bisharp already got nerfed stat wise, it would be a good opportunity to see if this approach has been enough to keep it balanced, especially with regard to the upcoming tournament. Before its nerf, Mega Bisharp's high base 110 speed limited the number of its would-be checks in the long run, such as Garchomp, Urshifu-R, and Landorus-T. Coupled with its ability to deal devastating damage once the target's HP is at half or below, Mega Bisharp was deemed too much to handle. Therefore, with its nerf already implemented, it's up to you to decide if we shoud give Mega Bisharp a new chance and unban it. Its current stats look like this: 65 HP, 145 Atk, 110 Def, 90 SpA, 90 SpD, 90 Spe.

:Tapu Lele:Ever since its ban, Tapu Lele never got the chance for a suspect test. It's not necessarily a broken Pokémon but the nature of this mod--it's much more centred on fun, the teambuilder and general player approachability--coupled with special circumstances such as the Magearna ban and internal issues like vote manipulation made it more difficult to find the right time to discuss the direction of this mod and deal with Tapu Lele. So, this essentially boils down to a different play philosophy and challenging circumstances that prevented Tapu Lele's freedom x). So, we rectifiy this. Vote unban if you want Tapu Lele to return!

:Espeon: Mega Espeon has become quite a controversial Pokémon with its new access to Magic Powder; thanks to its ability, it could safely bring in a Pursuit user who would usually have no problems taking out the Psychic turned target. This strategy alone puts a lot of pressure on the opponent, limiting their plays and teambuilder since few Pokémon wouldn't mind being turned into a Psychic Pokémon and be trapped and potentially removed afterwards. This is especially true in M4A Kalos Singles which already has a limited pool of Pokémon and where Weavile, the main Pursuit user, already reigns supreme. So, to keep Mega Espeon balanced, it would be important to remove Magic Powder from it.

:Toxtricity-Low-Key: Currently, its Mega form is banned because of its great resilience and ability to wear down Pokémon easily with Poison from its ability, even if it's just 1/16 Poison damage. Therefore, in an effort to keep it balanced, it will have Slack Off removed. People hope that a reliance on Rest would still allow it to function sufficiently well enough.

:Rillaboom: Mega Rillaboom has been banned for a few years due to its great bulk, resilience, and power, limiting counterplays very much. It is our hope that a slight bulk decreasement would be enough to unban it, allowing Pokémon like Zapdos to handle it better offensively while also not being too much of a nerf to discourage bulky / utility sets that could check Water Pokémon like Ash-Greninja: -10 Def, - 10 SpD, + 20 SpA.

:Walrein: Mega Walrein has limited counterplays due to the combination of Freeze-Dry + Rain boosted Hydro Pump, hitting almost anything for, at least, neutral damage. Moreover, new access to Slack Off and Flip Turn make it more difficult to wear it down. We decided that removing Freeze-Dry would be a first step to making Mega Walrein more balanced as some bulky Water Pokémon, like Toxapex, would have a better time checking it. What's more, Mega Walrein would receive a slight -10 SpA, +10 Atk nerf to make its Hydro Pump less of a nuke, which, otherwise, would have the potential to 2HKO certain Toxapex after some hazards.

:Goodra:Its stat redistribution + new access to Moonlight proved to be too effective on Mega Goodra; after all, thanks to Moonlight, it could switch more reliably into Pokémon and make good use of Gooey to force them out. What's more, a dual Water/Dragon typing with a great special movepool is already potent in itself. That's why Moonlight will be removed if it is to be unbanned.

:Primarina:In order to unban Mega Primarina, it's necessary to allow for more counterplays. Water/Fairy, good bulk and power and a decent speed tier already make for a very potent combination. Current stats: 80 HP / 74 Atk / 96 Def / 144 SpA / 133 SpD / 103 Spe. Proposed stats: 80 HP / 110 Atk / 96 Def / 126 SpA / 133 SpD / 85 Spe. This gives Pokémon like Zapdos a better chance to pressure Mega Primarina.

:Gourgeist: Mega Gourgeist-Average, the Weak Armor one, is currently banned due to its offensive pressure, especially once it manages to get a speed boost from Weak Armor and a power boost from Nasty Plot. Since Ghost Pokémon are notoriously difficult to check if they are fast and powerful, it was decided that a stat nerf was necessary to unban and test it. Original stat: 65 HP, 58 Atk, 147 Def, 145 SpA, 95 SpD, 84 Spe. New stat proposal: 65 HP, 98 Atk, 137 Def, 115 SpA, 95 SpD, 84 Spe. The most important stat nerf is SpA to ensure that in the event of a boost (Spe + SpA), Mega Gourgeist-Average wouldn't limit counterplay too much, allowing Pokémon like SpD Heatran to handle it better.

:Trevenant:In an effort to make Mega Trevenant more balanced and unban it, we hope that going from base 135 Atk to base 110 Atk would be enough. The 25 points would go into SpA, which would result in a base 104 SpA.

:Starmie: Mega Starmie is currently banned as its high speed, coupled with its power, diversity, Recover, and bulk (especially when boosted by its ability) make it fairly limiting on the builder and difficult to handle. For instance, with the right spread and defensive boost, it could survive super effective hits from the likes of Rillaboom's Grassy Glide or Kartana's Leaf blade, among others. Therefore, in order to unban it, it would receive -10 Def, - 10 SpD, + 20 Atk to make it easier for the opponent to take it out.

:Meowstic-F: Mega Meowstic-Female has been banned for its incredible wallbreaking power, thanks to a combination of a decent speed tier, access to Nasty Plot, and its ability Fairy Aura, letting it hit almost as hard as Xerneas. So, in order to unban it, a stat redistribution is necessary. Original stats: 74 HP / 63 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 96 SpD / 104 Spe . New stat proposal: 74 HP / 93 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 96 SpD / 74 Spe
This new approach would let more Pokémon to check it, notably offensive Pokémon. What's more, it encourages bulky set with Draining Kiss, which is sth that Xerneas cannot pull off as it doesn't learn this move.

:Floatzel: As a mostly or purely VGC focused Pokémon, Mega Floatzel requires very specific circumstances to potentially thrive in, such as VGC Restricted where Pokémon like Groudon and Kyogre are often featured. But if we consider M Floatzel's role within this metagame, it will have an even tougher time to shine because of the high power level that exists. It might see some plays in a non restricted VGC format but not every team runs Water or Ground Pokémon that are near as centralising as Kyogre or Groudon. Sure, stuff like M Slowking exists but it's usually not an offensive force while Earthquake users can easily be covered by Grassy Terrain or Wide Guard. Therefore, M Floatzel needs to have sth that makes it less reliant on its ability if you want to justify it on a team. I could see the following stat spread: 85 HP, 105 Atk, 85 Def, 85 SpA, 80 SpD, 155 Spe + Fake Out on top of ink's already given Coaching and Flip Turn. The most important stat is Speed to allow M Floatzel to outspeed Calyrex-Shadow-Rider. In a less powerful metagame, you, as a builder, would have enough room to customize its bulk since M Floatzel wouldn't need nearly as much Speed investment. If you max its HP, it's enough to almost always survive Choice Specs Astral Barrage Calyrex-Shadow-Rider and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide (60 BP) in VGC. Fake Out lets M Floatzel do progress, thereby giving the ally time to do whatever it wants to. Moreover, it's a tool that is useful enough to not have M Floatzel be too reliant on its ability. Originally, Mega Floatzel had its Atk and SpA stat swapped but with this new stat spread, it now prefers physical attack. This is because it benefits a lot more from this stat due to moves like Low Kick, Fake Out, Flip Turn, and, once we're updated to gen 9, Wave Crash and Ice Spinner.

:Deoxys-Speed:Its high speed stat allows Deoxys-Speed to perform fairly well in its role, such as setting hazards and screens or revenge-killing. The latter is not so difficult to pull off given its access to Z-Move and Nasty Plot, limiting counterplay very much, especially with its colourful movepool: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, etc. Hence why we recommend to ban it.

:Noivern:Throughout the last tournament, Mega Noivern has shown to be a formidable Pokémon difficult to handle; its high speed coupled with its bulk and respectable SpA allows for a lot of EV customization, making it fairly difficult to remove from the field. Especially if you consider the fact that it could potentially run Taunt for stallbreaking purposes and has Trace to potentially take advantage of your opponent's movement, such as copying Regenerator or Flash Fire. To keep its EV flexibility but more balanced, we decided it would be beneficial to lower its SpA stat significantly so that Fairy Pokémon in particular have an easier time checking it, such as Tapu Fini or Clefable. New stat proposal: 85 HP, 70 Atk, 100 Def, 97 SpA, 100 SpD, 183 Spe.

:Sylveon: Mega Sylveon's bulk, coupled with its great Fairy typing, makes it fairly difficult to deal with in M4A Kalos Singles, especially when, in a limited dex, there are less Pokémon able to handle it. Therefore, - 35 Def, + 45 Atk, - 10 Spe would help players to take down Mega Sylveon more easily, targeting its weaker Def. Moreover, with such a high Atk stat, there would be great incentive for Mega Sylveon to run mixed sets which would greatly benefit from Tough Claws, if a player so desires.

:Exploud: Last time, we decided to remove Clanging Scales from Mega Exploud as it didn't have any notable competitive value in Singles. After all, Boomburst does more damage and has no real drawback, and M Exploud's special coverage is more useful than including Clanging Scales. However, a few people pointed out in the poll that, as far as VGC was concerned, this move had a lot more appeal. STAB moves are usually more important than coverage moves as an ally could easily cover threats the other can't deal with. Moreover, Boomburt hits every Pokémon but the user on the field while Clanging Scales doesn't hurt the ally. This makes Clanging Scales much more appealing to run than Boomburst in VGC. So, these people wondered if we should re-add Clanging Scales for VGC purposes.

Edit: Link removed as it's past Thursday.

Last edited:
Paul, that wasn't really a yes-or-no question :'D

M4A is active o inactive format?
The format is active, but we're not doing submissions right now! We just finished up our Kalos-based season, so there's a tournament going on at our Discord server. C:
I think it'll be a couple of weeks (? at least) before we start another season, so there won't be opportunities to submit new Megas until then, but you'll be able to find people to battle with on Discord if you just want to play!

Dear community,

since the Kalos slate ended a few months ago, it's time for us to focus on a new project. This is where you come in! After some communal discussion on Discord, we figured we'll be doing a Paldean season. Andt it's up to you how we, as a community, should approach it. Below, you'll find some relevant information on topics that we need to bear in mind when creating Mega Pokémon and playing with this format; in fact, you'll get the chance to vote on the following topics: Terastallization, submission process, movepool, and potential addition of already existing Mega Pokémon, both vanilla and custom ones.

As these aspects greatly impact the submission process as well as the overall game experience, I'd strongly encourage you to carefully read the information on said topics before participating in the poll, otherwise, you might be disappointed by the potential outcome!

Terastallization
To my knowledge, Terastallization is allowed in every format on Smogon. But that doesn't mean we need to follow this gimmick; after all, we are our own community, with its own interests and philosophy. Besides, this PetMod is centred around Mega Pokémon, not around any other features, such as generational gimmicks. Adding Terastallization might "massively frustrate the creation process because when designing the Mega, you have to take into consideration how it fares against all of its matchups with the potential of tera without having its own and also being more useful than the base form of the mon which is able to tera in the game which can completely change matchups in a way the mega may be unable to", as competitive council member IsoCon explains.

So, in short, Terastallization could heavily interfere with the design process of Mega Pokémon, putting a lot of pressure on creators to ensure its competitive viability. Moreover, these Mega Pokémon also need to be able to compete with other (Mega) Pokémon, further putting strain on them. In the worst case scenario, there might not even be enough incentive to run a Mega Pokémon on a team if Terastallization were to remain as it dictates teambuilding and strongly turns a favorable situation into disadvantageous one, and vice versa.

However, while controversial, Terastallization is considered manageable or balanced, some people would argue; it isn't banned in any other format on Showdown. Therefore, it is likely balanced in our future M4A Paldean format. What's more, this generational feature would "open up a bit of what mons could do", according to a member of our community.

That being said, in the event of Terastallization being excluded from M4A Paldea Singles, this decision would also affect M4A Paldea VGC. Meaning, there would be no Terastallization in the Doubles format for the purpose of consistency and to avoid setting an unusual precedent. For instance, both M4A NatDex and M4A VGC have no Dynamax even though, technically, it is only balanced in the 4 vs 4 format.

Submission Process
M4A Paldea will feature 12-13 slates. But how we proceed is dependent on one of the split approaches you can vote for:

- In the 6-2-2-1-1 approach by Paul, 6 of the slates will include Pokémon from Pokémon Scarlet & Violet, the main game, so to say. Afterwards, there will be 2 slates for DLC 1 and 2 respectively. Then, you will get 1 final slate, encompassing Pokémon from the main game and / or the DLC, depending on what you want! After that, you have the chance to decide which existing Mega Pokémon should be selected for the Paldean region. For instance, Mega Porygon-Z could be added if it fits the metagame. This allows people to see which Mega Pokémon would thrive well in this format and be beneficial to the metagame.

- The 5-3-3-1-1 approach by Clastia works exactly like the other one, just with a different number of slates to account for the number of Pokémon that are introduced in the DLCs.

The reason why we'll be working in waves is because we wish to prevent the same issues M4A Kalos had. To quote Paul's argument: "The regional dex being kalos was a problem, as Kalos is a good regional dex for a game but the choices in a metagame become hugely symmetrical as Pokémon do not get roles in a metagame strictly off typing. The fairy usage constricted development as well and I think that was an issue, I think constructing a format from the bottom and then upgrading it has to be the way to make the regional format". Then, he adds: "The whole point is that you design the DLC Megas to follow in line with the Mainland Megas. That way the power creep is even more negligible actually. In a Megas based format when we add the DLC Pokémon they should fit right in, if you look at the ORAS meta when they added the new Megas they fit right in (most of them did, about as many as fit in originally) because the actual difference in power level is negated because they’re all Megas. Even when you consider Megas like Metagross, it was completely fine in comparison at release".

So, the split slate idea basically boils down to a better support system for the Paldean metagame as well as the creation and viability of Mega Pokémon.

Movepool
In recent generations, the game developers have opted for a movepool cut, mostly for balance reasons. For instance, starting in generation 7, Kangashkan has Power Up Punch cut from its learnset. As a community, we could follow this same mindset, that is to say our Pokémon in M4A Paldea will only have moves they can learn in Pokémon Scarlet & Violet and its DLCs, effectively mirroring current gen 9 OU, with no transfer moves. Apart from maintaining balance, this has the benefit of giving our Mega Pokémon more defined roles. For instance, there currently aren't many viable Defog users in gen 9 OU at all. So, what if some of our Mega Pokémon could fill that role by having access to this move and qualities that would allow them to function well enough?

Or, we could follow a NatDex movepool. This certainly allows for more creativity during the design process as a Mega Pokémon might enjoy having certain moves, like Hidden Power, Frustration or Wring Out for an -ate ability, letting them shine with a particular ability you have in mind. There's also the fact that M4A Kalos had a NatDex movepool approach. However, such an approach could heavily impact the metagame since it could break certain Pokémon, such as Kingambit who benefits a lot from having Knock Off and Pursuit. What's more, you also have to be aware of increased Scald, Knock Off, coverage distributions, etc., which can restrict teambuilding and, again, the creation process in an already limited format. For instance, Ghost and Psychic Mega Pokémon might need to be designed with Pursuit in mind.

So, would you rather prefer unrestricted or limited movepool options? Both have their pros and cons, and it's up to you how we should go from there.

Addition of Mega Pokémon
As already explained in the submission process, there will be one slate where people can choose some already existing Mega Pokémon of their choice, which would naturally fit in the Paldean metagame. However, this has to be done either before we actually start with the first 5-6 mainland slates or at the end of the final slate. Either way, we can prevent overlapping roles / competition during the design process.

One last note for transparency's sake: M4A Paldea will feature Pokémon found in Pokémon Scarlet & Violet, the maingame, and only add all exclusive / new Pokémon from the DLC, such as Archaludon or Ogerpon, among others. Moreover, during the DLC slate, you can decide which Pokémon from the DLC should get a Mega evolution, and that is not dependent on the list of "exclusive / new Pokémon from the DLC". For instance, Milotic is not in the mainland, and it's also not a new Pokémon as it comes from generation 3. However, it can be obtained in the DLC. And if you wish to see a Mega form on Milotic, you can try to vote for its inclusion in the metagame. I hope that's clear enough. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me or our community on Discord. And now, below, the poll! You have until next Tuesday, 30.01.2024, 23:59, GMT +1, to vote. As usual, you have to log in with your email account to participate in the poll; your email address won't be displayed.

Edit: Poll is removed since it's over.

Last edited:
Dear community,

I'm here with some new information on the last poll, the review process, and the opening of the new slate!

Don Quixote vs the Giant
:sv/quaquaval:, :sv/brambleghast:, :sv/lokix:

Below, you'll find the result of the most recent poll; 29 people voted.

Result of the Poll:
  • 86,2% are in favour of excluding Tera
  • 51,7% are in favour of Clastia's split approach (5-3-3-1-1)
  • 65,5% are in favour of gen 9 as the movepool basis
  • 62,1% are in favour of adding existing Mega Pokémon at the end of the final slate

Here, you'll find my answers to the questions that came up in the poll. If there are any questions I forgot to address, let me know.

Replies to Questions:
Ban List:
- :Koraidon: :Miraidon: :Flutter Mane: :Houndstone: :Iron Bundle: :Palafin: :Annihilape: :Espathra: :Chi-Yu:
- in written form: Koraidon, Miraidon, Flutter Mane, Houndstone, Iron Bundle, Palafin, Annihilape, Espathra, Chi-Yu

Pokémon Movepool Additions from Transfer:
- They won't be allowed.

Sleep Clause:
- Sleep moves won't be removed; since we're a PetMod, we do not necessarily have to follow what other "official" communities do.

Home Exclusives:
- They're not part of the dex. Therefore, they won't be allowed.

Review Process:
To reduce our workload and stress, we decided we'll change our approach. From now on, if the submitter is on discord, specifically in Megas for All v7, our reviewers will provide feedbacks there. If the submitter is not in Megas for All v7 on Discord, our reviewers will post feedbacks here, in this thread.

New Slate: Don Quixote vs the Giant
The first slate will feature Quaquaval, Lokix, and Brambleghast. :quaquaval:, :lokix:, and :brambleghast:. You have until next Friday (16.02.2024), 23:59, GMT +1, to post your subs! Once this slate is over, we, as a community, will discuss which Pokémon we'd like to see featured in the next slates! For the ease of submission, you can consult this site to check which Pokémon you can expect to see in the Paldean dex. Just leave out Pokémon from the banlist, and you should be good! [Link: https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/paldeapokedex.shtml]

:sv/quaquaval:
Mega Quaquaval
Type:
Water / Fighting
Ability: Levitate
Stats:
HP: 85​
Att: 150 (+30)
Def: 100 (+20)
SpA: 95 (+10)
SpD: 105 (+30)
Spe: 95 (+10)

Mega Quaquaval is so graceful and light on its feet that it might as well be hovering above the ground. Also it's a bird so it probably can literally hover above the ground.

Quaquaval has a lot of really good defensive tools like Rapid Spin, Roost, Flip Turn, and Knock Off, which are bolstered by a really nice defensive typing. Levitate encourages Mega Quaquaval to lean further into a hazard-removal role thanks to a new immunity to grounded hazards combined with a natural resistance to Stealth Rock, or it can use the immunity to Toxic Spikes specifically to more effectively run a bulky setup sweeper set.

:sv/brambleghast:
Mega Brambleghast
Type:
Grass / Ghost
Ability: Prankster
Stats:
HP: 55​
Att: 135 (+20)
Def: 100 (+30)
SpA: 95 (+15)
SpD: 80 (+10)
Spe: 115 (+25)

Brambleghast kinda strikes me as a fucked-up Whimsicott.

Mega Brambleghast gets a handful of useful Prankster tools, like SubSeed and SubDisable, but the crown jewel here is Strength Sap, which allows it to endlessly harass physical attackers no matter how fast they are. It also has Scary Face, which could maybe be useful in doubles. Finally, Mega Brambleghast can maintain a strong offensive presence even with a moveset full of mostly status moves thanks to its high Attack and Speed as well as STAB Poltergeist.

:sv/lokix:
Mega Lokix
Type:
Bug / Dark
Ability: Speed Boost
Stats:
HP: 71​
Att: 122 (+20)
Def: 108 (+30)
SpA: 72 (+20)
SpD: 75 (+20)
Spe: 102 (+10)

Lokix is an odd Pokemon. For the most part, it is precision designed to be a hit-and-run Pokemon. It has two amazing tools in STAB U-turn and First Impression, and an incredible ability in Tinted Lens that makes sure those U-turns and First Impressions hit hard no matter what. But then, it's got a couple of other really nice tools that just don't really see use. What good is Swords Dance on a Pokemon so hyper-fixated on hit and run? What good is a signature Fighting coverage move when Tinted Lens makes coverage irrelevant?

Speed Boost addresses both of those points. Mega Lokix is encouraged to stay in to accrue Speed boosts, so it might as well also boost its Attack with Swords Dance and sweep. Losing Tinted Lens also means it suddenly has to care about coverage now, allowing Axe Kick to shine (can't really do shit to Fairies though).

Last edited:
Been a while since I submitted for this:

:sv/quaquaval:
Mega Quaquaval
Type:
Water
/
Fighting

Ability: Dancer
HP: 85
Atk: 120
Def: 80 ---> 120 (+40)
SpA: 85
SpD: 75 ---> 100 (+25)
Spe: 85 ---> 120(+35)
Description: Going full bulk route with Quac as I give it the ability that should have been his hidden ability (even tho moxie is pretty damn good). Quac has an actually pretty decent typing to use with dancer, having a typing to deal with quiver dancers like Volcarona as well as Dragon and Sword Dancers like Baxcalibur and Roaring Moon by using their own boosts against them. Added bulk takes less than 50% from volc Giga Drain and can tank hits from the dragons, extra speed gets the jump even on Roaring Moon. Can perform well as a bulky Spinner that transitions into a Sweeper.

Last edited:
Quaquaval-Mega
Type: Water/Fighting
Ability: Justified
Atk: 120
Def: 130 (+50)
Sp. Atk: 85
Sp. Def: 95 (+20)
Spd: 115 (+30)
New Moves: N/A
You want a :kingambit: counter? I've got a :kingambit: counter!

I'm a big fan of defensive :quaquaval:. It has everything a defensive Mon would want: Reliable recovery, good defensive typing that walls both STABS of one of the best Pokemon in the tier, and a good utility movepool. Only issue is, it's bulk is lacking. So, what if I give it bulk? Well, we get this.

Well, you may see this and ask, "Why not just use :great-tusk: instead if you want a :kingambit: counter that can spin?" :great-tusk: can struggle to come in later to deal with :kingambit: due to a lack of recovery, especially with it also having to spin away hazards. With Roost, :quaquaval: doesn't run into that issue as easily. The lack of boots is frustrating, but it isn't the end of the world. Also, Justified is pretty funny. Get hit by a Knock Off on the switch, and you can potentially just sweep after an Aqua Step/Rapid Spin or two.

Brambleghast-Mega
Abiltity: Sand Rush
Type: Grass/Ghost
HP: 55
Atk: 90 (Swapped w/ Sp. Atk, +10)
Def: 90 (+20)
Sp. Atk: 135 (Swapped w/ Atk, +20)
Sp. Def: 90 (+20)
Spd. 120 (+30)
New Moves: Scorching Sands, Growth
With Sand Rush, :brambleghast: becomes a frightening breaker and revenge killer for Sand teams, with the potential to sweep after a Growth or 2. It can form a pretty strong core with :tyranitar:, as :brambleghast: can break through physical walls like :dondozo:, :great-tusk:, and the potential Mega :quaquaval: that :tyranitar: could struggle with, while :tyranitar: sets sand, takes special attacks, and makes progress with Knock Off (if it gets it in this meta) and TWave.
Scorching Sands give :brambleghast: some much-needed coverage, while Growth is literally it's only setup option.

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
:sv/brambleghast:
Mega Brambleghast
Type:
Water
Fighting

Ability: Aerialate
Atk: 115 ---> 149 (+34)
Def: 70 ---> 70
SpA: 80 ---> 100 (+20)
SpD: 70 ---> 70
Spe: 90 ---> 111 (+21)
Added Moves: Body Slam, Double-Edge
Description: finally: hazard control. yeah atespin is unblockable until someone invents flying immunity but its bootless removal anyways so its still a little sus. notably outspeeds the ogrous pons which you will soon learn to be a pain in the ass.

Mega Lokix
Type:
Water
Fighting

Ability: Showdown | While this Pokémon is present, all Pokémon are prevented from restoring any HP. During the effect, healing and draining moves are unusable, and Abilities and items that grant healing will not heal the user. Regenerator is also suppressed.
HP: 71
Atk: 102 ---> 132 (+30)
Def: 78 ---> 103 (+25)
SpA: 55 ---> 55
SpD: 55 ---> 79 (+15)
Spe: 92 ---> 122 (+30)
Description: lokix dex says when it fights it enters "showdown" mode????? pokemon showdown reference?????? either way i remember mega staraptor had smth called showdown so here it is. showdown. showdown/death aura is a known strong ability as any chip u get from knock or turn (safest buttons ever) are pretty much permanent, especially against big regen switchins like mogus or mola. outspeeds the pons again. probably misses out some of the power from tinted lens and life orb though.

Last edited:
we are so back!!

:quaquaval::blastoisinite:Mega Quaquaval
New Ability
: Trace
Type:
Water
Fighting

New stats:
Attack: 140 (+20)
Defense: 125 (+45)
Special Attack: 90 (+5)
Special Defense: 85 (+10)
Speed: 105 (+20)
(630 BST)

New moves: N/A
Description: Both of Quaquaval's offensive and defensive sets on Smogon are very interesting to me since its stats and typing are incredibly versatile, so investing more into Mega Quaquaval's defense to contest with its large Attack Stat made sense. I also didn't want Quaquaval to have a stronger ability than the already powerful Moxie, so Trace is an interesting ability that could aid it on several types of builds; for example, Quaquaval could copy an ability like Regenerator to aid it on bulky pivot builds or Tough Claws to hit harder with its attacks.

Quaquaval @ Quaquavite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Quaquaval @ Quaquavite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Aqua Step
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Rapid Spin

:brambleghast::lopunnite:Mega Brambleghast
New Ability
: Sand Stream
Type:
Grass
Ghost

New stats:
Attack: 125 (+10)
Defense: 105 (+35)
Special Attack: 80 (+0)
Special Defense: 90 (+20)
Speed: 125 (+35)
(580 BST)

New moves: U-turn, Will-O-Wisp
Description: I think it would be interesting if there was a Sand setter that didn't stack as many weaknesses as Tyranitar and Hippowdon and could pivot sand abusers in safely, which Mega Brambleghast accomplishes well. The only issue with Mega Brambleghast setting sand is that it takes sand damage every turn, but Strength Sap should be more than enough to keep it healthy. Will-O-Wisp is an interesting utility option to shut down physical attackers and chip them enough for Mega Brambleghast's teammates to clean up later.

Brambleghast @ Brambleghite
Ability: Wind Rider
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Spikes
- Strength Sap
- Power Whip / Poltergeist

:lokix::heracronite:Mega Lokix
New Ability
: Tinted Lens
Type:
Bug
Dark

New stats:
Attack: 152 (+50)
Defense: 78 (+0)
Special Attack: 52 (+0)
Special Defense: 75 (+25)
Speed: 117 (+25)
(550 BST)

New moves: N/A
Description: Lokix is one of the few Pokemon I can't imagine functioning without its main ability, so its Mega serves as more of a wallbreaker who can stay on the field longer as opposed to its base form having a hit-and-run strategy. 152 Attack with Tinted Lens ensures Mega Lokix will hit hard regardless of the opposing Pokemon, but it is still very frail despite a hefty Special Defense boost.

Lokix @ Lokixite
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
Mega Lokix
New Ability
: Stakeout
Type: Bug/Dark

New stats:
Attack: 122 (+20)
Defense: 113 (+35)
Special Attack: 62 (+10)
Special Defense: 75 (+20)
Speed: 107 (+15)
(550 BST)

New moves: no
Description:
While this mega loses Tinted Lens' ability to (almost) completely bypass resists, it more than makes up for that with Stakeout, an ability that synergizes perfectly with Lokix's toolset. Chief among these is a STAB-boosted Sucker Punch, a move capable of forcing some extremely nasty 50-50 scenarios (if Kingambit is any indicator). With this, it also has U-turn and First Impression to capitalize on those 50-50s, both of which are powerful moves to take advantage of switch-ins, with the former being extremely spammable (on top of providing useful utility in pivoting) and the latter being a classic, powerful means of sniping potential targets (albeit only on the first turn), and Stakeout boosts their potential to even more absurd levels. Rounding this out, is Axe Kick, a coverage move that provides good SE coverage for what Lokix needs.

:sv/Quaquaval:
Quaquaval-Mega
Water/Fighting
Ability: Torrent/Moxie-> Natural Cure
Stats
Atk: 140 (+20)
Def: 100 (+20)
SpA: 95 (+10)
SpD: 125 (+50)
Spe: 85

Quaxly's PokeDex entries mention that its feathers secrete a gel which repels "grime", and what aspect of competitive Pokemon is grimier than status? The ability to shrug off status conditions is a great asset for a Rapid Spinner, making it easier to keep yourself healthy with Roost and find more opportunities to Spin while also pairing nicely with optional U-turn. Defensive sets don't have to worry about poison or TSpikes, while offensive sets no longer have to fear getting shut down by burn or paralysis, pairing well with pre-Mega Moxie. Regardless of which route you go, Quaq can easily pressure the opponent between Aqua Step, Close Combat, Knock Off and occasional Ice Spinner or Brave Bird if you really want to bypass Amoonguss. I went with a more SpD heavy spread to help Mega Quaq further stand out from Dondozo, as well as pairing with Natural Cure to shrug off Fire moves, Scalds, and Sludge Bombs; it also ensures even offensive spreads can survive +1 Giga Drain from Volcarona, letting you KO back with Aqua Step. The less buffed Defense stat still makes great use of Quaq's natural resistances to Rock, Dark and Bug.

:sv/Lokix:
Lokix-Mega
Bug/Dark
Ability: Swarm/Tinted Lens-> Regenerator
Stats
Atk: 122 (+20)
Def: 118 (+40)
SpA: 57 (+5)
SpD: 75 (+20)
Spe: 107 (+15)

Lokix is naturally geared for a hit and run playstyle, wanting to revenge kill with priority, spam Knock and pivot out with U-turn. With as hazard dominant as SV inherently is, Regenerator is a perfect fit for this playstyle, pairing excellently with STAB U-turn and giving you more chances to First Impression. Regen is mainly to offset hazard chip and Helmet damage, but with your Defense boost and profile of resistances you are able to eat hits from select Pokemon like Ting-Lu, Meowscarada or even the mighty Sucker and Kowtow of Kingambit. Lokix's pre-Mega Tinted Lens gives it an interesting dynamic with Mega Evolution, as you can fire off several hard-to-resist attacks before you Mega, switching over once you're low or once you've chunked natural resistances like Great Tusk. Past the obvious choices of Knock, U-turn and FI, you have Sucker Punch for alternate priority, Leech Life for additional healing or Axe Kick to take advantage of your buffed Kingambit match-up, with Regen being nice to heal off potential crash damage.

:sv/Brambleghast:
Brambleghast-Mega
Grass/Ghost
Ability: Wind Rider/Infiltrator-> Unencumbered (User deals 1.5x damage to targets lacking a held item).
Stats
Atk: 136 (+21)
Def: 99 (+29)
SpA: 80
SpD: 99 (+29)
Spe: 111 (+21)

Brambleghast is a physical-leaning ghost, which naturally presents an issue given the prominence of Knock Off and is even more obvious in SV given the dominance of Paradox mons and their Booster Energy shenanigans. But what if Bramble could flip that weakness by directly punishing itemless Pokemon? Thus Unencumbered, which also has good flavor with Bramble's natural weight. Poltergeist things that have an item, throw off a really strong Power Whip for those without one. Not only does Knock no longer provide strictly negative synergy, but Bramble gains a unique niche in its capabilities to punish Paradox mons, as well as Air Balloon Ghold. Ability-boosted Whip has a solid chance to 2HKO Roaring Moon with just a little investment; also-
0 Atk Brambleghast Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def [Booster Energy] Iron Valiant: 276-325 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

It's not a hard counter to these mons, but they do need to be much more careful switching in, giving Mega Bramble more room to throw off its strong STABs, while the damage boost means it has more freedom to sink EVs into bulk to better keep up its Spin and Strength Sap shenanigans, meaning that 55/99/99 bulk can be harder to break that you might expect, especially with Atk drops from Strength Sap. The speed stat lets you cheekily creep Ogerpon, which doesn't fear your ability but still takes a ton from Poltergeist. Whip/Polter/Spin/Sap is definitely your go-to set, but you do also have Spikes for your own hazard pressure or Shadow Sneak to pick off foes that survive your Whip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)