Meloetta Stall - Peaked #1

Meloetta Hazard Stall​

Hi everyone, welcome to my first RMT here on Smogon. I usually do not like to play stall nor UU actually but after trying out this team and making some tweaks I've gotten a lot of success with it. I've peaked #2 on PO2 UU ladder as well as #1 going 41-1 here on PS but I know it has room for improvement.

Ladder rank here

At a Glance

Team in Detail

@ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play

Umbreon is the glue that holds this team together. It does wonders walling the plethora of special attackers namely non-specs Chandelure, Raikou/Zapdos, Rotom-H and Kingdra. Pretty standard set, but Heal Bell is what makes this team; it instantly wakes up my other Pokemon and you'll see why this is so important in a moment. It prevents Toxic stalling from the likes of Blastoise, Claydol and Hitmontop as well.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Haze

In my opinion Cofagrigus is the best spinblocker in the tier. He's able to cripple physical attackers instantly with Will-O-Wisp and at the same time has good natural SAtk and Shadow Ball to pose a threat to anything that tries to set up. Rest gives this Pokemon its much-needed longevity and in comination with Heal Bell on Umbreon, spinners relying on Toxic stalling ghosts will never get a spin on this team. Lastly, Haze prevents Pokemon such as CroCune from setting up and sweeping temporarily which is a big threat otherwise. As for synergy, Cofagrigus is a great complement to Umbreon - they cover each other's weaknesses very nicely.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Registeel provides the Stealth Rock support that this team needs. It is also a full stop to CM Raikou which I swear is on every other team nowadays. Thunder Wave slows down threats such as Togekiss and anything that switches in to let me handle them easier with other Pokemon. Seismic Toss is the standard attacking move and lastly, Rest gives it a second chance (third, and even fourth) at doing its job when weakened. So many people think that weakening Registeel and/or crippling it with WoW is enough to remove it from the game. It is also a great last pokemon to stall with Rest as a last resort. This Pokemon has its weaknesses covered by Qwilfish and Cofagrigus very nicely. Be wary of strong special fire attacks though from Chandelure as Umbreon is 2hkoed by Specs Fire Blast.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Waterfall
- Spikes

My fish usually leads off the game, getting up entry hazards ASAP. If I see they have no grounded poison type, Toxic Spikes goes up first. It's crazy how many teams are so weak to Toxic Spikes. If they have something like Nidoqueen or Amoonguss, Spikes goes first until they are removed. Haze prevents Pokemon like BU Scrafty from having an easy time with my team as well as CM suicune once again. This Pokemon counters Mienshao and Scarf Heracross quite nicely so that Cofagrigus doesn't have to bear all of the burden. It eases prediction and uses those free turns to lay down more hazards. Umbreon usually covers all of Qwilfish's weaknesses except for Earthquake.
@ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

Here's the MVP of the team! Meloetta does such a great job breakind down bulky offense and opposing stall teams. It possesses amazing natural special defense with a base stat of 127 making it a backup special check. This set allows me to set up on things like Amoonguss, Slowbro, Zapdos, Nidoqueen, the list goes on and on. Sub + CM is a great combination and Meloetta is no slouch when it comes to attacking. The speed EVs let me outspeed Nidoqueen and max Special Attack punches holes in offensive teams without any boosts. Hyper Voice and Psyshock serve as great STABs for attacking albeit it is walled by Sableye. Psyshock lets me easily beat other CM pokemon such as Suicune. It also nails Snorlax very hard compared to Psychic or Hyper Voice. Meloetta shouldn't be played early-game for any reason because when this is gone, the team loses almost all offensive presence.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Defensive Blastoise is the last poke for the complex defensive core on this team. It provides a much-needed fire resist and avoids the 2HKO from Specs Chandelure Fire Blast with the given EVs. Rest is a staple on this team to cause rage in my opponent when they're thinking "Finally got rid of his spinner." Heal Bell then cures Blastoise and he's back for more. Roar is a pseudo-Foresight and is used because of the amount of hazards used on this team. I try to get as many hazards up as possible and if I need to spin, Roar hits their Ghost pokemon and causes the next Pokemon to suffer entry hazards, and then I threaten another spin. If I don't need to spin, Roar still racks up that damage is is just frustrating for my opponent. Not to mention, Pokemon such as Sub Bisharp and Cobalion who are immune to Tspikes are phazed out and the threat is eliminated.

So, that's it for this team. Here's some of the major threats:

Threats

Sableye: Pain in the ass. I need T spikes up and if not, I send in Blastoise and keep scalding for a burn and/or torrent range. Get T spikes up ASAP.

CM Suicune: If I can't get Meloetta in before it's at +3, or if Meloetta is already severely weakened I'm doomed. Luckily a lot of my Pokemon can phaze/haze and Wish Support from Umbreon for Meloetta is crucial. If you see Suicune, keep Meloetta healthy.

Sub+SD Virizion: T spikes must be up. Blastoise can predict a Sub, tank a Leaf Blade and Roar it out but that won't always work.

Taunt Cobalion: Ugh.. luckily these are rare but they do a number to my team. Keep Blastoise healthy.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated and I welcome you to try it out on the ladder. This isn't a good tournament team however, as most stall isn't because of the standard-ness but it's an effective team nevertheless. Thanks!

Importable:
Cat (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play

(BAN ME PLEASE) (Cofagrigus) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Haze

Robot (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Fish (Qwilfish) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Waterfall
- Spikes

Girl (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

Turtle (Blastoise) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Wow. Just looking at this team gives me a headache to find a hole. The only kind of team, albeit rare, is a dedicated volt turn team. That type of team forces you to react at that moment which continues to grab momentum for the opponent. For example, I find scarfshao and specs rotom-h to hit hard if you don't have hazards up. Specs rotom hits qwilfish blastoise and cofagrigus hard, while having the ability to trickspecs to umbreon/meloetta, which hinders your strategy. Scarfshao hits umbreon, registeel and meloetta for at least hard neutral damage.

But again, people are more likely to use chandelure > rotom-h, which can be easily handled by meloetta and her great bulk. But, this a great team and I may have to try it : )

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
this is a very solid team. when i see your six pokemon, the first thing that jumps at me instantly is how troublesome for your team to face spikes-stacking Froslass + mixed Victini + nasty plot Cofag combo, which is a pretty standard core for hyper offensive teams. You can't stop froslass from setting at least two layers of spikes on you and then mind rape you with taunt + destiny bond. mixed victini with vcreate/grassknot/psychic/blue flare can ohko/2hko your entire team. ironically, the fix for this is switching out meloetta for choicebanded snorlax or bulky snorlax, but then this would no longer be "meloetta stall" lol. choicebanded snorlax pursuits ghosts to give blastoise an easier job at spinning. bulky snorlax can phaze away those threats to rack up entry hazards damage. either variant fits this team nicely

this is a very solid team. when i see your six pokemon, the first thing that jumps at me instantly is how troublesome for your team to face spikes-stacking Froslass + mixed Victini + nasty plot Cofag combo, which is a pretty standard core for hyper offensive teams. You can't stop froslass from setting at least two layers of spikes on you and then mind rape you with taunt + destiny bond. mixed victini with vcreate/grassknot/psychic/blue flare can ohko/2hko your entire team. ironically, the fix for this is switching out meloetta for choicebanded snorlax or bulky snorlax, but then this would no longer be "meloetta stall" lol. choicebanded snorlax pursuits ghosts to give blastoise an easier job at spinning. bulky snorlax can phaze away those threats to rack up entry hazards damage. either variant fits this team nicely

You're 100% right with the spike-stacking Froslass HO + Mixed Victini. It was incredibly weird, right after reading your comment I went and played one more battle and whoa, Spike Froslass + OTR Cofag + Mixed Victini + Nidoqueen brilliantly countered my team. I'll for sure try out Bandlax. Thanks for your input man.

Edit: I also have trouble with Escavalier + Nidoqueen. I got a suggestion to switch Meloetta for Porygon2 - I'll test that later as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)