Meloetta's Gen Grand Finale

Before XY gets released, I feel it's time to create a new team. This team is built around my favorite Pokemon ever, Meloetta. She is definitely a good mon to use once you can clear the way for her.

THE TEAM IN DETAIL

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
Rhyperior sets up rocks while taking any non-SE move like it was nothing. EdgeQuake coverage dents almost evrything in UU as long as Sableye doesn't burn it. Dragon Tail can be effective to disrupt Baton Pass and rack up hazard damage. Rhyperior can even block Volt Switch attempts, forcing the opponent to switch out, only to be shuffled and take more hazard damage, making it hard to counter.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave
- Poison Jab

Qwilfish is a 3-in-1 mon: a spiker, a T-spikes absorber, and a bulky pivot. It can remove that pesky Weavile and hinder Sharpedo which give Meloetta problems. Pain Split to last longer, Thunder Wave to cripple that Weavile and Sharpedo even more, and the Poison Jab to threaten checks with poison, while making it easier for Meloetta to sweep.

Mienshao @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk or SDef / 252 Spd
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Aerial Ace
Umbreon, meet your demise. Mienshao removes those Dark-types tormenting Meloetta out of the area with a STAB HJK, and any non-Ghost switch-ins still take a dent. Stone Edge cuts down Chandelure, Togekiss and Zapdos that try to hit it, only to be outsped. U-Turn to escape ghosts and recover health, and finally, HP Ice to nail Gligar and make it a non-issue. If using Roserade, Scarf with Aerial Ace is used for Weavile and Fighting-types.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Super Fang/U-Turn
Speaking of Mienshao, people like to lead with it. This Crobat's purpose is to remove Mienshao and Heracross to make Meloetta's job easier. Brave Bird to strike hard, Roost to stay longer. Since the #2 lead is Bronzong, Taunt + Super Fang is used, and Crobat doesn't fear anything from Zong other than rare Zen Headbutt. U-Turn can be used if the opponent doesn't have Bronzong.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Knock Off
Cofagrigus is THE premiere defensive spinblocker in UU. Will-O-Wisp burns Hitmontop that try to spin, and Pain Split further limits its time on the battlefield. Knock Off takes away Blastoise and Claydol's precious Leftovers, and make them dead weight for the rest of the match. It also serves as another check for Mienshao and Heracross that lack Night Slash.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/Substitute
- Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Finally we have the main star herself. Mismagius and Dusclops just cannot touch her, no matter how hard they try. CM is to pressure the opponent. Psyshock is used because screw Snorlax. Shadow Ball and Grass Knot round up the coverage and make Meloetta one threat to not be underestimated. Substitute can be used if using Heracross, as Slowbro falls to it anyway. Focus Blast can be used if the opponent lacks Swampert.

OTHER TEAM OPTIONS

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Takes on Sableye in exchange for getting walled by Gligar. Will-O-Wisp can be used against Cofagrigus and Sableye, while Heracross still smashes Dark-types.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
This alternate Rhyperior set can make Chandelure a little easier to deal with, though it still has to beware of Energy Ball variants.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Energy Ball
This alternate spinblocker can dent Blastoise and Hitmontop, and if one layer of Spikes is lain along with rocks, Blastoise is pretty much history.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
Takes out most Kingdra while still setting up Spikes.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EV: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

Tanks special hits while still offering Spikes.

Last edited:

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team is solid.

In theory, most threats in the UU tier are covered. Sufficient consideration has been taken to take down Meloetta's counters, e.g Dark Types and Fighting types. Mienshao is a good answer to most Dark types, while Crobat is a good answer to Fighting types such as Mienshao and Heracross. Sufficient hazards and support is also being provided.

However, you neglect to account for the offensive presence of the team: Meloetta is walled by multiple typings, including Dark-types and Steel-types. I know that you have attempted to keep them covered by Mienshao, but that is not enough. 4/6 of your pokemon hit Steel-typing for not-very-effective damage, and when you happen to have hazards on your field, the switching around may cost a lot of health.

Additionally, Sableye is a total pain in the ass. It can spam Taunt and Recover and stall you out with Will-O-Wisp, which is annoying as hell.

Firstly, I recommend that Meloetta uses Focus Blast instead of Grass Knot. This permits it to take down Steel-types and Dark-types. Grass Knot is useful only for Swampert/Suicune/Slowbro which although are problems, you can check them by using Crobat/Psyshock/ShadowBall respectively.

Next, Sableye is a total bitch. I recommend that Mienshao is replaced by Guts Heracross, preferably scarfed(you lack a scarfer, anyway.) Kills Dark types even better thanks to its STABs both being able to crush them, and Will-O-Wisp will give a very nasty surprise onto Sableye.

Actually to be honest, if you are using my Heracross suggestion, you can disregard my Grass Knot Change. Keep Grass Knot, as it prevents ever-so-annoying Swampert from Roaring you away. However, you can consider Substitute in order to protect yourself against status/revenge killers. Not only that, but it will immediately win you Calm Mind Wars(since they can't break your sub but you can break theirs)

4/5, good job.

Hey I really like this team! If I may, I would like to give a few suggestions:

1) Since Chandelure seems as though it gets a kill every time it comes in and can just click fire blast, (one of the few things you team is weak to), I'd actually make Rhyperior careful nature and move some attack EVs into SpD. Why you ask: Look at this, these are spcecs chandelure calcs against Rhyp:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Rhyperior: 199-234 (45.95 - 54.04%) -- 55.47% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock – Standard Rhyp
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Rhyperior: 180-212 (41.57 - 48.96%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Now this may not seems huge, but believe me it is. This means that, even with rocks up, Rhyperior can act as a counter to rhyperior while before it was only a check. It's somewhat unlikely that a chandelure user would click anything other than fire blast, looking at your team, so this seems pretty perfect.

2) I don't really see cofagrigus as essential to the team. You already have qwilfish and crobat for fighting types and tbh cofagrigus isn't that amazing of a spinblocker since blastoise and hitmontop both carry foresight and aren't really immediately forced out. I think you can get away with replacing it with either some chandelure set or some other ghost with an offensive presence (trick scarf mismagius etc.). It just seems to me that cofag's immunity to rapid spin is the thing that earned it a spot on this team and doesn't do much that something else already does.

3) On crobat, I think u-turn > super fang

4) I'd keep grass knot on meloetta actually to pick off a weakened blastoise if it manages to take down your spinblocker

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone, and I will try out these sets. Chandelure is definitely viable on this team.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Sup @MQJynx, I have a one suggestion to help fix one gigantic weakness I see.
==>
Right now, your team is swept clean by both Specs and Rain Dance Kingdra. It can spam both Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor, and you need to add a check tho this thing that doesn't add more unwanted weaknesses. Therefore, I recommend you replace Qwilfish with Specially Defensive Ferroseed. You have things on your team whose job it is to tank Physical Fire and Figthing type attacks (Rhyperior and Cofag respectively), and your team could really benefit by adding something to tank Dragon- and Water- type attacks, which your team has no resistances to. Ferroseed acts as a solid bulky pivot that can paralyze offensive switch-ins, still set the Spikes that Qwilfish did, and beat all Kingdra (besides SubDD), 1 on 1. You absolutely have to add a Kingdra check though, your team is ridiculously weak to it.

Suggested Changes:
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

I'll try out Ferroseed to see how well it does, seeing as t-spikes are rare; I appreciate the feedback everyone has given me so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)