move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Psychic / Psyshock
ability: Prankster
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Reflect and Light Screen form the Dual Screens combination, and provide great support to the team in lessening the damage they take. For this reason, Dual Screens are a boon for a hyper offense team
  • Thunder Wave can halt a fast attacker in their tracks. Like Dual Screens, this sort of support is much appreciate by hyper offense teams, for it can mean that an opposing rampant sweeper can be stopped from taking out your team
  • Psychic and Psyshock are Meowstic-Male's ways of dealing direct damage when the need arises. Psychic has overall greater base power, though Psyshock is useful for hitting opponents with lower Defense than Special Defense, such as Hitmonlee. It is a matter of a personal preference
Set Details
========
  • Maximum HP and Defense EVs and a Bold nature ensure that Meowstic-Male can take physical hits as best as it can
  • Light Clay extends the duration of the screens to 8 turns, allowing your team to take advantage of them for as long as possible
Usage Tips
========
  • Setting up your screens is an utmost priority
  • You may want to switch Meowstic-Male out once it has set up its screens, in order to let its teammates take advantage straight away. This also means Meowstic-Male will have a chance to set them up again later on
Team Options
========
  • Dual Screens support is appreciated by all of the team, though in particular, setup sweepers love being behind screens, for it makes setup a lot easier. Examples of these Pokemon include Gorebyss, Cobalion, Durant, and Virizion
  • Memento Dugtrio can help setup sweepers by giving them another chance at successfully setting up if Meowstic-Male's screens run out or you didn't get an opportunity to set them up again
Other Options
########
  • Toxic can replace Thunder Wave should you wish to cripple an opposing wall, though there are Pokemon better suited to doing this than Meowstic
  • Should you desire weather support, Meowstic-Male can go with either Rain Dance or Sunny Day and hold a Damp Rock or Heat Rock accordingly. Bear in mind that Pokemon such as Liepard, Whimsicott and Volbeat tend to make better weather supporters due to access to more utility options and general team support with U-turn, Encore, Taunt and Baton Pass
  • Meowstic-Male could try a SubCM set which benefits from priority on Substitute and Calm Mind, though there are Pokemon in RU that generally tend to work as better users of Calm Mind, such as Reuniclus
  • Safeguard is an option for shielding the team from status, though its duration of a mere five turns means that it is probably not worth the moveslot
  • Trick could see use in conjunction with a detrimental item such as an Iron Ball, though Meowstic-Male would rather save its item slot for an item extending the duration of whatever it is setting up, or even the passive recovery of Leftovers
  • Yawn is a possibility for forcing switches
Checks and Counters
########
  • Whimsicott's Taunt will outspeed Meowstic-Male and hinder it from doing its job
  • Drapion can catch Meowstic-Male on the switch with Pursuit and is immune to Meowstic-Male's STAB
  • Defog is frustrating for Meowstic-Male, for it swiftly removes the screens that it has set up.
  • Shiftry can Defog, plus is immune to Meowstic-Male's STAB
  • Skuntank is rather nightmarish for Meowstic-Male to face - It can simply Defog Dual Screens away, is immune to Meowstic-Male's STAB, and can Pursuit it on the switch
  • Though not particularly common, Liepard is an excellent answer to Meowstic-Male, since Taunt outspeeds, and Liepard has an immunity to Psychic

Overview
########
Meowstic-M is blessed with an arsenal of priority support moves thanks to Prankster and has a niche as the only Prankster screener available in RU. It can use support options that work very nicely on hyper offense teams, making it a great boon for teams of that archetype. However, one must realize that Meowstic-M is ruined by Taunt, not to mention that Defog swiftly undoes its work. In spite of its flaws, this unsociable feline can offer the team incredibly useful support that is not to be overlooked.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen form the dual screens combination and provide great support to the team in lessening the damage they take, making them a boon for hyper offense teams. Thunder Wave is present on the set in order to allow Meowstic-M to halt a fast attacker in their tracks. Like dual screens, this sort of support is much appreciated by hyper offense teams, as it can mean that an opposing rampant sweeper can be stopped from taking out your team. Psychic and Psyshock are Meowstic-M’s ways of dealing direct damage when the need arises. Psychic has greater Base Power, though Psyshock is useful for hitting opponents with lower Defense than Special Defense, such as Hitmonlee. It is a matter of a personal preference which attack you opt for.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP and Defense investmentand a Bold nature ensures that Meowstic-M can take physical hits as well as possible. Light Clay extends the duration of the screens to eight turns, allowing your team to take advantage of them for as long as possible.

Usage Tips
========
Setting up screens is the utmost priority. You may want to switch Meowstic-M out once it has set up its screens in order to let its teammates take advantage of them straight away. This also means Meowstic-M will have a chance to set them up again later on.

Team Options
========
Dual screens support is appreciated by the whole team, though setup sweepers such as Gorebyss, Cobalion, Durant, and Virizion particularly benefit from them, as they make setting up a lot easier. Memento Dugtrio can be a good partner for Meowstic-M in order to help setup sweepers by giving them another chance at successfully setting up if Meowstic-M's screens run out or it didn't get an opportunity to set them up again.

Other Options
########
Toxic can replace Thunder Wave should you wish to cripple an opposing wall, though there are other Pokemon better suited to doing this. Should you desire weather support, Meowstic-M can use either Rain Dance or Sunny Day and hold a Damp Rock or Heat Rock accordingly. Bear in mind that Pokemon such as Liepard, Whimsicott, and Volbeat tend to make better weather supporters due to their access to more utility options and general team support with U-turn, Encore, Taunt, and Baton Pass. Meowstic-M could try a Substitute + Calm Mind set which benefits from Prankster priority, though there are Pokemon in RU that generally tend to work better, such as Reuniclus. Safeguard is an option for shielding the team from status, though its duration of a mere five turns means that it is probably not worth the moveslot. Trick could see use in conjunction with a detrimental item such as an Iron Ball, though Meowstic-M would rather save its item slot for an item extending the duration of whatever it is setting up or even the passive recovery of Leftovers. Finally, Yawn is a possibility to force switches.

Checks and Counters
########
**Faster Prankster Taunt Users**: Whimsicott can outspeed Meowstic-M and hinder it from doing its jobby using Taunt. Though it is not particularly common, Liepard is an excellent answer to Meowstic-M, since its Taunt outspeeds Meowstic-M's, and Liepard has an immunity to Psychic-type moves.
**Drapion**: Drapion can catch Meowstic-M on the switch with Pursuit and is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves.
**Defog Users**: Defog is frustrating for Meowstic-M because it swiftly removes the screens that Meowstic-M has set up. Shiftry can use Defog and is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB attacks. Skuntank is even more nightmarish for Meowstic-M to face, as it can Defog the screens away, is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves, and can use Pursuit as Meowstic-M attempts to switch out.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fuck yeah Meowstic, favourite Pokemon :] used it to great results in RU before.

not QC but a couple thoughts:

Tends to end up as dead weight once it has accomplished its objective
I don't find this necessarily true. It's never dead weight as long as its alive, especially since it is capable of setting up screens multiple times. Priority screens can be clutch and a t-wave can stop a rampant sweeper from taking out your entire team. I find this unnecessary and unfair towards Meowstic. Instead, emphasize on how priority Thunder Wave and Screens are very useful tools HO can utilize for the reasons I mentioned. I also recommend making thunder wave the main slash; Toxic is for crippling walls, that's not Meowstic's job. If anything, put it in set details or OO imo. Additionally, consider Psyshock, because:

4 SpA Meowstic Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 248-294 (102.4 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

while Psychic fails to OHKO.

Maybe mention Memento Dugtrio in Team Options, as it also helps other set-up sweepers by giving them another chance if Meowstic's screens run out or you didn't get a chance to put them up again. I've personally used Meowstic with Barbaracle before, but Pokemon like Gorebyss, Cobalion, Durant, and Virizion also appreciate screens for setting up. Make sure to mention specific set-up sweepers.

I feel like a dedicated weather set should be made as well (i'm aware its OO rn) because priority weather is pretty damn cool, but i'll let that for QC to decide.

Add Defog to C&C, it removes screens. Additionally, add Skuntank, who can defog and pursuit Meowstic. Shiftry can also defog but not pursuit.

Otherwise, analysis is looking good, glad this is in good hands.

tagging EonX because he knows his meowstic :]

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Arikado - you've made some great suggestions which I have implemented :]
In hindsight, perhaps it was a little harsh of me to initially say that Meowstic becomes dead weight after accomplishing its objective.

You could probably mention Yawn in Other Options. It's a decent utility move that generally forces switches pretty handily. If the opponent doesn't switch out, you get to put something to sleep, which is always good. You could probably also mention Meowstic's colorful special movepool, provided you make it clear that it's outclassed as an offensive Psychic-type.

Flash is also a pretty funny move I've used before, but it's probably too gimmicky to actually deserve a mention, lol.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, considering I'm one of the most experienced users of Meowstic-Male, I'm going to chime in with my thoughts:

[Overview]

- I wouldn't say it has middling bulk considering it takes Esca's STAB Megahorn behind Reflect and can live it. That's a pretty impressive feat imo

[Utility]

- I personally use an EV spread of 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpDef. It's the most optimal since you round down passive damage (if you come in for Screens again later) still gives the final jump point to Defense and gives you a bit more special bulk to work with. Not sure if this should be implemented, but I'll leave that for the rest of the QC Team to decide.
- I personally prefer Psychic over Psyshock. Yea, Psyshock OHKOes Hitmonlee, but you're better off switching out / getting Reflect up anyway since it will outspeed if you attack.
- Considering Meowstic-Male is going to be on HO Teams, it's gonna be damn hard to fit in Wish or cleric support. I'd just forego this imo. Get Screens up once and if you can get them up again later, great. You should be able to get one back up later on anyway.

[Other Options]

- Got nothing here. Good work

[Checks & Counters]

- Not as common as Whimsicott, but Liepard is even worse for Meowstic-Male as it's even immune to Psychic moves.

Also, the EV spread should be under this format: HP / Def / SpD. Pretty sure PS! altered it to what it is in the analysis atm, but just make sure to correct it when you're implementing the rest of the suggestions. Good work on this Psywaves. I'll come back and give it a Check once these changes are made (bar the Psychic vs. Psyshock and EV things as that's mainly just my personal preference)

Other Options
########
  • Should you desire weather support, Meowstic-Male can go with either Rain Dance or Sunny Day and hold a Damp Rock or Heat Rock accordingly
You can either state why it isn't a truly viable option, or make a set for it.

A set I'd use for a Weather Setter involves:

Rain/Sun Summoner
########
name: Weather Utility
move 1: Sunny Day/Rain Dance
move 2: Charm
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Heat Rock / Damp Rock / Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
nature: Calm

Essentially the same set as the utility one, this set calls for more offensive utility support.
First, Meow-M's own moves; depending on what kind of team you use, have Meow-M carry the espective Rock and move. Charm can force switches from opponents who wish to use physical offense to KO the male feline. Thunder Wave aids allies and teammates in having priority (without priority).
The EVs are entirely up to you. I do suggest, however, that running priority Charm allows Meow-M to tank a hit from any physical attacker not carrying LO/CB.
As for the teammates,
Sunny Day activates Shiftry's Chlorophyll, allowing it to outspeed some threats. I wouldn't use Sunny Day in conjunction with Solar Power Heliolisk, as its already a frail attacker.
Rain Dance is much more useful; Steel and Grass types in the tier no longer fear the prominence of Fire moves under Rain. Heliolisk benefits nicely from Rain with Dry Skin, and can then afford to run Thunder instead of Thunderbolt.
Ludicolo becomes fast and can feign its Rain Dance moveslot for a Hidden Power, or take on a completely different role as a speedy Assault Vest user under the Rain.
Any Swift Swimmer (read: Special Attacker Omastar) also likes this Rain support.
Jolteon can also afford to run Thunder under Rain.

QC should be the ones to decide, but just my suggestion.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure a Weather Setter set is good enough to get its own set. I don't doubt Meowstic-Male can pull it off, but the problem is that there's Liepard, Whimsicott, and Volbeat in the tier, all 3 of which have U-turn, Encore, and / or Taunt to create switch-in opportunities for Rain sweepers. All of them also have Prankster, thus making them more desirable imo. Analysis looks p. good, but I'm going to hold off on a QC Check until a little more input is given with a possible Weather Support set.

Agreeing with EonX, I don't think a Weather Setter set is good enough to warrant it's own set, weather is largely unexplored atm and as eon said I think I would much rather use Liepard/Whimsicott or Volbeat due to access to more utility and general team support with U-turn, Encore, Taunt & Baton Pass.

EonX

Battle Soul
If weather becomes a thing later on, we may explore a Weather Setter set for Meowstic-Male, but for now, just keep it in OO Psywaves and make mention of how Liepard/Whimsicott and Volbeat outclass it as a weather setter. (basically the reasons already given by NB and myself) With that, this looks good to go.

QC Approved 1/3

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

**NOTE**: There is no official convention as of yet for how to list Meowstic-Male's name. For right now, I will call it Meowstic-M and make a post in the SGS thread so we can agree upon a standard format.

Overview
########
Meowstic-M
is blessed with an arsenal of priority support moves thanks to Prankster [removed ,] and has a niche as the only Prankster screener available in RU. It can use support options that work very nicely on hyper offense teams, making it a great boon for teams of that archetype. However, one must realize that Meowstic-M is ruined by Taunt, not to mention that Defog swiftly undoes its work swiftly. In spite of its flaws, this unsociable feline can offer the team incredibly useful support that is not to be overlooked.

Utility
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen form the dual screens combination [removed ,] and provide great support to the team in lessening the damage they take, [comma] making them a boon for hyper offense teams. For this reason, dual screens are a boon for a hyper offense team. Thunder Wave is present on the set in order to allow Meowstic-M to halt a fast attacker in their tracks. Like dual screens, this sort of support is much appreciated by hyper offense teams, for as it can mean that an opposing rampant sweeper can be stopped from taking out your team. Psychic and Psyshock are Meowstic-Male's ways of dealing direct damage when the need arises. Psychic has overall greater base power, though Psyshock is useful for hitting opponents with lower Defense than Special Defense, such as Hitmonlee. It is a matter of a personal preference which attack you opt for.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP and Defense EVs and a Bold nature ensure that Meowstic-M can take physical hits as well as possible best as it can. Light Clay extends the duration of the screens to 8 turns, allowing your team to take advantage of them for as long as possible

Usage Tips
========
Setting up your screens is an utmost priority. You may want to switch Meowstic-M out once it has set up its screens [removed ,] in order to let its teammates take advantage of them straight away. This also means Meowstic-M will have a chance to set them up again later on.

Team Options
========
Dual screens support is appreciated by all of the team, though setup sweepers such as Gorebyss, Cobailon, Durant, and Virizion particularly benefit from them, as they makes setting up a lot easier. though in particular, setup sweepers love being behind screens, for it makes setup a lot easier for them. Examples of these Pokemon include Gorebyss, Cobalion, Durant, and Virizion. Memento Dugtrio can be a good partner for Meowstic-M in order to help setup sweepers by giving them another chance at successfully setting up if Meowstic-M's screens run out or you didn't get an opportunity to set them up again.

Other Options
########
Toxic can replace Thunder Wave should you wish to cripple an opposing wall, though there are Pokemon better suited to doing this than Meowstic-M. Should you desire weather support, Meowstic-M can go with either Rain Dance or Sunny Day and hold a Damp Rock or Heat Rock accordingly. Bear in mind that Pokemon such as Liepard, Whimsicott, [comma] and Volbeat tend to make better weather supporters due to access to more utility options and general team support with U-turn, Encore, Taunt, [comma] and Baton Pass. Meowstic-M could try a Substitute + Calm Mind set which benefits from Prankster priority on Substitute and Calm Mind, though there are Pokemon in RU that generally tend to work as better users of Calm Mind, such as Reuniclus. Safeguard is an option for shielding the team from status, though its duration of a mere five turns means that it is probably not worth the moveslot. Trick could see use in conjunction with a detrimental item such as an Iron Ball, though Meowstic-M would rather save its item slot for an item extending the duration of whatever it is setting up [removed ,] or even the passive recovery of Leftover. Finally, Yawn is a possibility for forcing switches

Checks and Counters
########
**Prankster Taunt Users with Higher Speed**: [colon] Whimsicott's Taunt will outspeed Meowstic-M and hinder it from doing its job. [, to .] also, Though it is not particularly common, Liepard is an excellent answer to Meowstic-M, since its Taunt outspeeds Meowstic-M's, and Liepard has an immunity to Psychic-type moves.

**Drapion**: [colon] Drapion can catch Meowstic-M on the switch with Pursuit and is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves.

**Defog Users**: [colon] Defog is frustrating for Meowstic-M, for it swiftly removes the screens that it has set up. Shiftry can Defog [removed ,] and plus is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB attacks. Skuntank is even more nightmarish for Meowstic-M to face, [comma] as [removed -] it can simply Defog the screens away, is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves, and can Pursuit it on the switch.

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Psywaves
add or change remove comments

Overview
########

Meowstic-M is blessed with an arsenal of priority support moves thanks to Prankster and has a niche as the only Prankster screener available in RU. It can use support options that work very nicely on hyper offense teams, making it a great boon for teams of that archetype. However, one must realize that Meowstic-M is ruined by Taunt, not to mention that Defog swiftly undoes its work. In spite of its flaws, this unsociable feline can offer the team incredibly useful support that is not to be overlooked.

Utility
########

Moves
========

Reflect and Light Screen form the dual screens combination and provide great support to the team in lessening the damage they take, making them a boon for hyper offense teams. Thunder Wave is present on the set in order to allow Meowstic-M to halt a fast attacker in their tracks. Like dual screens, this sort of support is much appreciated by hyper offense teams, as it can mean that an opposing rampant sweeper can be stopped from taking out your team. Psychic and Psyshock are Meowstic-Male's ways of dealing direct damage when the need arises. Psychic has overall greater Base Power, though Psyshock is useful for hitting opponents with lower Defense than Special Defense, such as Hitmonlee. It is a matter of a personal preference which attack you opt for.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs investment and a Bold nature ensures that Meowstic-M can take physical hits as well as possible. Light Clay extends the duration of the screens to 8 eight turns, allowing your team to take advantage of them for as long as possible. full stop

Usage Tips
========

Setting up your screens is an the utmost priority. You may want to switch Meowstic-M out once it has set up its screens in order to let its teammates take advantage of them straight away. This also means Meowstic-M will have a chance to set them up again later on.

Team Options
========

Dual screens support is appreciated by all of the whole team, though setup sweepers such as Gorebyss, Cobailon, Durant, and Virizion particularly benefit from them, as they makes setting up a lot easier. Memento Dugtrio can be a good partner for Meowstic-M in order to help setup sweepers by giving them another chance at successfully setting up if Meowstic-M's screens run out or you it didn't get an opportunity to set them up again.

Other Options
########

Toxic can replace Thunder Wave should you wish to cripple an opposing wall, though there are other Pokemon better suited to doing this than Meowstic-M. Should you desire weather support, Meowstic-M can go with use either Rain Dance or Sunny Day and hold a Damp Rock or Heat Rock accordingly. Bear in mind that Pokemon such as Liepard, Whimsicott, and Volbeat tend to make better weather supporters due to their access to more utility options and general team support with U-turn, Encore, Taunt, and Baton Pass. Meowstic-M could try a Substitute + Calm Mind set which benefits from Prankster priority, though there are Pokemon in RU that generally tend to work better, such as Reuniclus. Safeguard is an option for shielding the team from status, though its duration of a mere five turns means that it is probably not worth the moveslot. Trick could see use in conjunction with a detrimental item such as an Iron Ball, though Meowstic-M would rather save its item slot for an item extending the duration of whatever it is setting up or even the passive recovery of Leftovers. Finally, Yawn is a possibility for forcing to force switches. full stop

Checks and Counters
########

**Faster Prankster Taunt Users with Higher Speed**: Whimsicott's Taunt will can outspeed Meowstic-M and hinder it from doing its job by using Taunt. Though it is not particularly common, Liepard is an excellent answer to Meowstic-M, since its Taunt outspeeds Meowstic-M's, and Liepard has an immunity to Psychic-type moves.

**Drapion**: Drapion can catch Meowstic-M on the switch with Pursuit and is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves.

**Defog Users**: Defog is frustrating for Meowstic-M,(RC) for because it swiftly removes the screens that it Meowstic-M has set up. Shiftry can use Defog and is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB attacks. Skuntank is even more nightmarish for Meowstic-M to face, as it can Defog the screens away, is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves, and can use Pursuit it on the switch as Meowstic-M attempts to switch out.

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)