Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt search through, has stabless-mons been brought up before? This could have many interpretations,and what i now have in mind is that pokemon can use any direct attack move but no longer have stab on any of them
I don't thin I posted it here, but I mentioned an idea for "Stabless" and wondered if people would like it. The idea was that all mon lose access to all moves they share a type with (including status moves).

Soo im back and this time im here with not only one meta, but two! (Edit: decided to post the other idea another time) anyways here it is

First one shall be an old om from last gen that i thought is pretty interesting

Stat Switch

Metagame premise: a meta where the slowest suddenly become fastest, weakest hit strongest, and frailest become thicc'est i present Stat Switch!
This metagame is very simple, every mons highest stats are switched with its lowest stat
Example: (bolded is highest stat and underlined is lowest)

Keldeo
91/72/90/129/90/108 --> 91/129/90/72/90/108

A simple example, keldeos highest stat is 129 while its lowest stat is 79 (thanks gravity) so his atk and special attack switch
Q: what about hp stat? What if thats the highest or lowest stat
A. it still applies! So azumarill for example will undergo 100/50/80/60/80/50 > 50/100/80/60/80/100

Q: what if my mon has multiple equal lowest stats or equal highest stats?
A. im glad u asked, since these mons recieve the most buffs since the change applies to both stats (both highest switch with one lowest, or both lowest switch for one highest) so breloom for example undergoes 60/130/80/60/60/70 > 130/60/80/130/130/70

So mons with multiple low stats shine here, like regice, breloom and zoroark

Potential bans and threats: Marowak-alola (80/45/110 with pseudo huge power'd rock head) and regice (200/100/200 offenses) look pretty busted on paper, defensively im not really sure
Edit2: azumarill has 100(250 with huge power) attack AND 100 speed i didnt even notice, sounds busted as hell, same goes for mawile with pseudo 250/55/125 offenses

Questions for the community:
  • Does this meta sound fun? Was it unpopular last gen?
  • What can i do to improve the idea
  • Is there anything else broken that should be banned?
Thanks for reading, love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I'm sad that no one talked about Base Stat Mons. It is too simple?
This thing just gives a huge nerf to a lot of things and I don't if that's what people like.

Soo im back and this time im here with not only one meta, but two! (Edit: decided to post the other idea another time) anyways here it is

Stat Switch

Metagame premise: a meta where the slowest suddenly become fastest, weakest hit strongest, and frailest become thicc'est i present Stat Switch!
This metagame is very simple, every mons highest stats are switched with its lowest stat

Keldeo

A simple example, keldeos highest stat is 129 while its lowest stat is 129 so his atk and special attack switch
A. it still applies! So azumarill for example will undergo 100/50/80/60/80/50 > 50/100/80/60/80/100

A. im glad u asked, since these mons recieve the most buffs since the change applies to both stats (both highest switch with one lowest, or both lowest switch for one highest) so breloom for example undergoes 60/130/80/60/60/70 > 130/60/80/130/130/70

Potential bans and threats: Marowak-alola (80/45/110 with pseudo huge power'd rock head) and regice (200/100/200 offenses) look pretty busted on paper, defensively im not really sure

Little fix: You said Keldeo's lowest stat is 129

Alpha ability: pokemon can get any ability that starts with the same letter as there name
alpha ability v2: pokemon can get any ability that starts with the same letter as there current abilities

move swap: pokemon gain the move set that was set before it

Charizard
ember
fly
thunder punch
sunny day

Gyarados
water fall
dragon dance
bounce
hurricane

lucario
extreme speed
vaccume wave
iron head
aura sphere

in this example gyarados would get charizards move set gyarados would get lucarios and Charizard would get lucarios

so you have a dragon dancing lucario a flying gyardos and a speeding aura sphereing Charizard

these are bad sets don't use them but it was just an example I had from the top of my head

100% bans: normal ou bans +smeargle
thoughts? ideas?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Stat Switch

Keldeo

A simple example, keldeos highest stat is 129 while its lowest stat is 129 so his atk and special attack switch

In terms of things that didn't exist last gen (azu's quite possibly still broke btw), Blacephalon intrigues with its new 151/127/151/53/79/107 stats - while its physical movepool is shallow compared to its special options there's at least enough to do something off the still high 127 base attack. 151/151/79 defenses are the main lure though, being very bulky physically and maintaining acceptable special bulk. A lack of movepool definitely holds this back though.

Stakataka is hilarious with 61/131/13/53/101/211 stats - choosing the road of insane speed in exchange for taking physical hits worse than a sandcastle at high tide. Honestly not all that great - its attack is good but not amazing enough.
252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power 100 Base Attack Azumarill Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def 13 Base Defense Stakataka: 2634-3102 (1001.5 - 1179.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Toucannon has an interesting time with 80/75/120/120/120/60 base stats. While its physical moves go down the drain, a special movepool including Boomburst and a few Sheer Force boosted moves make it better than standard, particularly with the improved bulk. is still terrible.

Not all that much is interesting in Alola tbh, a lot of stuff gets worse or not noticeably different - Celesteela is now fast for example and can't go special but that doesn't alter what it's good at most likely.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

New Stats: 120 / 100 / 120 / 100 / 120 / 60

(Also, since this form has more HP than Meteor, does it work like Zygarde?)

New Stats: 59 / 59 / 59 / 59 / 59 / 95
Poor thing lmao

New Stats: 130 / 60 / 80 / 130 / 130 / 70
Gliscor lost it's spot as a bulky Poison Heal mon.

Most Alola stuff trades either Attack or Defenses for Speed. So we get things like Hyperactive Toxapex who can't do wiggles to anything.

In terms of things that didn't exist last gen (azu's quite possibly still broke btw), Blacephalon intrigues with its new 151/127/151/53/79/107 stats - while its physical movepool is shallow compared to its special options there's at least enough to do something off the still high 127 base attack. 151/151/79 defenses are the main lure though, being very bulky physically and maintaining acceptable special bulk. A lack of movepool definitely holds this back though.

Stakataka is hilarious with 61/131/13/53/101/211 stats - choosing the road of insane speed in exchange for taking physical hits worse than a sandcastle at high tide. Honestly not all that great - its attack is good but not amazing enough.
252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power 100 Base Attack Azumarill Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def 13 Base Defense Stakataka: 2634-3102 (1001.5 - 1179.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Toucannon has an interesting time with 80/75/120/120/120/60 base stats. While its physical moves go down the drain, a special movepool including Boomburst and a few Sheer Force boosted moves make it better than standard, particularly with the improved bulk.

Not all that much is interesting in Alola tbh, a lot of stuff gets worse or not noticeably different - Celesteela is now fast for example and can't go special but that doesn't alter what it's good at most likely.
Unfortunately toucannon will become 80/60/75/75/75/120 since 60 is the lowest stat, still a better swellow though with sheer force boosted coverage and similar speed

I agree alola doesnt really offer much but theres still a few interesting options in alola like for example aquaticpanic's minior (and staka is pretty hilliarious)

Likee:

95/105/85/45/75/125
Who knew this could end up a viable swords dance breaker (dragon hammer rules)

80/120/45/55/65/130
fastest trapper in the game + hardest hitting physical electric thanks to galvanize

68/64/117/111/117/60
Not THAT much better but 68/117/117/ is miles better than 68/60/60, now it can abuse corrosion better

Although most other mons just become super quick and like no offenses its unfortunate tho

Edit: crap, this feels too similar to nature swap isnt it?

Base Stat Mons
Metagame premise: Things like choice scarf or choice band or huge power only affects the base stat, not the finalized stats unlike normal pokemon. Things that would be affected would be choice items, salt vest, huge/pure power, weather speed boost, stat boosts in general, and other things. So a base 120 speed mon would now outspeed a base 55 speed pokemon with x2 speed stat boost. Also goddamn eviolite be nerfed
Potential bans and threats:
OU clause
idk for now
How will pokemons reliant on stat boosts or choice items fare in the metagame?
Is there a better name which is less misleading?

Metagame premise: Every Pokemon "has" Wonder Guard, so they can only get hit by super effective moves, but in return, each Pokemon will do instant KO. Not only that, if you use a status move against a Pokemon that is not weak to the type that the opponent is, it has no use (Haze, weather moves, or status moves that affect all Pokemons are unaffected). Normal type moves will deal 1/3 of the opponent's max HP.
Also this metagame would open up to use of shitty moves.
Ban List:
Pokemon:
Electross (for having no weakness)
Abilities:
Protean (for the user changing types)
Moves:
Reflect Type, Conversion, Conversion 2, and Roost (for the user changing types)
Burn Up (for having no type afterwards)
Trick Swap (for changing possibly useful abilities)
Hidden Power (every Pokemon would have it, so it would be centralized)
Items:
Focus Band (RNG for chance to live)
Air Balloon (+Electric is Bae)
Other things as time passes.
How should we handle speed problem?
How should we handle low weakness problem? (Maybe add a rule with 1 type per team?)
There may be a problem in base stats mons. With untouched mons like skarmory, toxapex and sableye, i think stall would be impossible to broke. Blissey is a decent replacement for chansey. Almost every ofensive mon is nerfed. But maybe bulky sweepers like mega gyara can find thier dominant place in the meta. Mons with insanely offensive stat like kartana can be incredibly good after a sword dance, but not enough to break stall.

Magnet rise jolteon/Mega mane sounds op in shedinjamons.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
There may be a problem in base stats mons. With untouched mons like skarmory, toxapex and sableye, i think stall would be impossible to broke. Blissey is a decent replacement for chansey. Almost every ofensive mon is nerfed. But maybe bulky sweepers like mega gyara can find thier dominant place in the meta. Mons with insanely offensive stat like kartana can be incredibly good after a sword dance, but not enough to break stall.
That's a big problem. But then stall breakers will appear... then offensive... idk
Magnet rise jolteon/Mega mane sounds op in shedinjamons.
Boi. Magnet Rise is going to be banned

Going back to the idea of putting gen 6's recycables in gen 7 doubles, I was able to mess around with what a two strategies might look like (used the ability pick up to automatically recycle items):
Fling King's Rock Spam:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7partnersincrime-238804
I feel it should not be too hard to build around this. Mons with fling will not be able hold any speed boosting items, or damage increasing items. Also fling has 0 priority. It should be possible to just switch out because of how little damage fling does with this item. Also, if you have sitruis berry, fling won't really bring your hp down since you'd just recycle it over and over again. But, maybe it's stronger or more uncompetitive than I think.
Normal Gem Spam:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7partnersincrime-238732 I feel this is stronger that Spamming flinches. It's seems harder to switch into and you get powerful fake outs.

Fling has a lot of neat options(you can fling berries onto your teammates for their effects to activate) and it would be cool if natural gift and moves like sky attack were good, so I would like to find a way to come up with a meta based around consumable items somehow.

UnityMons

Metagame premise: All pokemons on the team must have 3 moves in common, also 5 of those pokemon must have the same item. A pokemon with a different item will be called leader.

Specific rules:
-Hiden power can be used as a main move. Each Pokemon can use any Hp that fits them better.
-The moves assist, me first, copycat and metronome can be used as substitutes for a main move. For example, weavile can run ice punch, protect, assist and knock off on a team with ice punch, protect and earthquake as main moves.
-The move nature power can be used as a substitute of one of the moves that it transforms to: tri attack, power gem, earth power, hydro pump, ice beam, lava plume, psyshock, energy ball, moonblast, thunderbolt or psychic.
-Imposter ditto is allowed (this can be changed).

Banlist: Ou banlist with weather induced abilities and terrain inducer abilities banned. All mega stones are allowed (including ubers megas like mega gengar and megas with weather induced abilities). The idea is balance the metagame making all styles more or less equally powerful, i prefeer unbanning some ubers like Lando I, Kyurem W, Zekrom, Reshiram or marshadow rather than remove strong pokemon of a style, except if that pokemon is really really broken. Also unow is banned, since it cant carry three moves.

Few examples:
1) Rain style: Rain dance, surf/scald and ice beam/hidden power as moves in common. Focus sash as common item, Mega swampert as leader.
2) Sun style: sunny day, flamethrower and hidden power/solar beam as main moves. Focus sash as item, Mega Zard Y as leader.
3) Sand style: Earthquake, rock slide/stone edge, and toxic as main moves. Focus sash as item. Mega Ttar as leader.
4) Dragon style: dragon claw, earthquake and dragon dance/flamethrower as main moves. Choice scarf/focus sash as main item. Mega Ttar/Maga Zard Y/ mega mence as leader.
5) Grass style: Giga drain, toxic/hidden power/protect and leech seed as main moves. Focus sash as main item. Mega venusaur as leader
6) stall/variety: toxic, protect, substitute/filler as main moves. Evolite/leftovers as main item. Black sludge Toxapex/mega gengar/mega ttar as leader
7) Color style: thunderbolt/thunderpunch, flamethrower/firepunch/hidden power and ice beam/icepunch as main moves. assault vest/focus sash as main item. Mega Ttar as leader.
8) Ghost offensive style: shadow ball, psychic/tbolt/energy ball and hidden power/trick room as main moves. Focus sash as main item. Mega gengar as leader.
9) Ghost deffensive style: shadow ball, substitute and toxic/Wow as main moves. leftovers as main item. mega gengar or mega sableye as leader.
10) normal style: return/double edge, brick break/earthquake/crunch and fire punch as main moves. Focus sash or assault vest as main item. Mega mence/mega kanghaskan as leader.

Questions for the comunity:
1) Does the name of the metagame fits with its idea?
2) Do you think the balance approach of unbanning rather than baning is the correct one?
3) Do you think the item restriction combined with the 3 moves in common can bring some balance to the different styles? Do you prefer to have 2 leaders available so you can run mega evolution and Z-Move on the same team?
4) Do you find Rain, sand or any other possible style imbalanced?

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UnityMons

Metagame premise: All pokemons on the team must have 3 moves in common, also 5 of those pokemon must have the same item. A pokemon with a different item will be called leader.

Specific rules:
-Hiden power can be used as a main move. Each Pokemon can use any Hp that fits them better.
-The moves assist, me first, copycat and metronome can be used as substitutes for a main move. For example, weavile can run ice punch, protect, assist and knock off on a team with ice punch, protect and earthquake as main moves.
-The move nature power can be used as a substitute of one of the moves that it transforms to: tri attack, power gem, earth power, hydro pump, ice beam, lava plume, psyshock, energy ball, moonblast, thunderbolt or psychic.

Banlist: Ou banlist with weather induced abilities and terrain inducer abilities banned. All mega stones are allowed (including ubers megas like mega gengar and megas with weather induced abilities). The idea is balance the metagame making all styles more or less equally powerful, i prefeer unbanning some ubers like Lando I, Kyurem W, Zekrom, Reshiram or marshadow rather than remove strong pokemon of a style, except if that pokemon is really really broken. Also unow is banned, since it cant carry three moves.

Few examples:
1) Rain style: Rain dance, surf/scald and ice beam/hidden power as moves in common. Focus sash as common item, Mega swampert as leader.
2) Sun style: sunny day, flamethrower and hidden power/solar beam as main moves. Focus sash as item, Mega Zard Y as leader.
3) Sand style: Earthquake, rock slide/stone edge, and toxic as main moves. Focus sash as item. Mega Ttar as leader.
4) Dragon style: dragon claw, earthquake and dragon dance/flamethrower as main moves. Choice scarf/focus sash as main item. Mega Ttar/Maga Zard Y/ mega mence as leader.
5) Grass style: Giga drain, toxic/hidden power/protect and leech seed as main moves. Focus sash as main item. Mega venusaur as leader
6) stall/variety: toxic, protect, substitute/filler as main moves. Evolite/leftovers as main item. Black sludge Toxapex/mega gengar/mega ttar as leader
7) Color style: thunderbolt/thunderpunch, flamethrower/firepunch/hidden power and ice beam/icepunch as main moves. assault vest/focus sash as main item. Mega Ttar as leader.
8) Ghost offensive style: shadow ball, psychic/tbolt/energy ball and hidden power/trick room as main moves. Focus sash as main item. Mega gengar as leader.
9) Ghost deffensive style: shadow ball, substitute and toxic/Wow as main moves. leftovers as main item. mega gengar or mega sableye as leader.
10) normal style: return/double edge, brick break/earthquake/crunch and fire punch as main moves. Focus sash or assault vest as main item. Mega mence/mega kanghaskan as leader.

Questions for the comunity:
1) Does the name of the metagame fits with its idea?
2) Do you think the balance approach of unbanning rather than baning is the correct one?
3) Do you think the item restriction combined with the 3 moves in common can bring some balance to the different styles? Do you prefer to have 2 leaders available so you can run mega evolution and Z-Move on the same team?
4) Do you find Rain, sand or any other possible style imbalanced?
To be honest, this doesn't sound fun to play. Usually with metagames, with restrictions you get benefits (see Dual Wielding, Chimera, etc.). However, when you force three moves of every mon to be the same, it just makes it harder to use mons that you want and cover your bases as a team. If restrictions allowed you to gain some base stat bonuses, for example, I think people would be more excited.

But, to add to this list, Terrain teams could be good. Psychic Terrain with Psychic/Psyshock, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast sounds promising.

Thank you for your answer, i understand your point. I wasnt trying to create a metagame based on sheer power, but instead in a metagame that force someone to work with its limitations. Teambuilding is quite simple, but there are some details like going for ice beam on a rain team as a main move for coverage, go for hidden power to make room for pokemon like keldeo and tapu koko or xurxitree (who can replace hydro pump with nature power), or go for earthquake, to let swampert have both his physical stabs without throwing hydro pump.

The price to have moves like hydro pump, earthquake and ice beam as main moves is that few pokemon have those specific moves. But you can slap hidden power, toxic or protect and have far more possibilities, at the exchange of power, but the more diverse the team is, the more coverage those fourth slot attacks will have. Also your opponent has the same limitations as you, so you can build your team having that in mind. There shoudnt be a lot of threatening playstayles, so working on your weaknesses may be a bit easier than it sounds.

However, i understand why people can find this metagame boring, i may have to do some modifications on the item restriction or reduce the amount of pokemon on each team to 3 or 4 so it is a bit easier to make a solid team.

Last edited:
Attempt two at submitting a stat based meta, this has been mentioned before but no proper submission has been made im pretty sure (first time was rejected due to being complex, so im using branflakes formula)

Roleplay (originally Shiny Swap)
Metagame premise: have you ever got sick of how slow and useless some mons are? Just wish ur fav typed mon had more defensive stats instead of offensive? Please welcome Shiny Shift! (Credits to beople i dont remember who thought of this)
A simple premise, all mons have Atk switch with Def, SpA switch with SpD, and spe switch with HP

Example:

95/117/184/44/46/28 ---> 28/184/117/46/44/95
Avalugg completely switches roles and gets 184 attack + a decent 95 speed tier, gets decent coverage as well

160/110/65/65/110/30 ---> 30/65/110/110/65/160
Another example of taking advantage of a slow hard hitter, with great hp comes great speed, snorlax has amazing coverage + its special attack too to abuse that speed

65/150/60/115/60/115 ---> 115/60/150/60/115/65
Heres finally an example of a offensive threat turning defensive AND having the movepool for it like wish/willo/foul play and finally taking advantage of a godly ability

Azumarill probs, cloyster 180 atk and 95 spe, and blissey witb its monstrous 255 spe AND 135 spa

most speed tiers get shrekt anyways and i cant think of anything more that really gets the speed + offenses or movepool+ defenses to abuse it

• Does this sound fun? What can i do to improve it?
  • Do i give the player of using the normal non stat switched version of the mon by being shiny? Or will it ruin the point of the meta
  • What sounds broken? Im really bad at that area
Thanks for reading all this and would love to hear your thoughts or sets on this meta! Any criticism is also welcome!

Last edited:
Attempt two at submitting a stat based meta, this has been mentioned before but no proper submission has been made im pretty sure (first time was rejected due to being complex, so im using branflakes formula)

Roleplay (originally Shiny Swap)
Metagame premise: have you ever got sick of how slow and useless some mons are? Just wish ur fav typed mon had more defensive stats instead of offensive? Please welcome Shiny Shift! (Credits to beople i dont remember who thought of this)
A simple premise, all mons have Atk switch with Def, SpA switch with SpD, and spe switch with HP

Example:

95/117/184/44/46/28 ---> 28/184/117/46/44/95
Avalugg completely switches roles and gets 184 attack + a decent 95 speed tier, gets decent coverage as well

160/110/65/65/110/30 ---> 30/65/110/110/65/160
Another example of taking advantage of a slow hard hitter, with great hp comes great speed, snorlax has amazing coverage + its special attack too to abuse that speed

65/150/60/115/60/115 ---> 115/60/150/60/115/65
Heres finally an example of a offensive threat turning defensive AND having the movepool for it like wish/willo/foul play and finally taking advantage of a godly ability

Nothing of yet, most speed tiers get shrekt anyways and i cant think of anything that really gets the speed + offenses or movepool to abuse it

• Does this sound fun? What can i do to improve it?
  • Do i give the player of using the normal non stat switched version of the mon by being shiny? Or will it ruin the point of the meta
  • What sounds broken? Im really bad at that area
Thanks for reading all this and would love to hear your thoughts or sets on this meta! Any criticism is also welcome!
Sounds fun, it offers a whole new metagame to discover. In my opinion switching every mon stats is better than allow the player to choose beetwen normal and shiny. mega Aggron sounds a extremely good wall breaker, Shuckle a trick room nightmare, and sturdy provides him with a free focus sash, azumarril with 100 base speed and 80 base attack sounds deadly. Blissey would be broken with 255 speed and 135 special attack.

UnityMons

Specific rules:

I want to modify a few things here.

Format: singles 4v4.
Item restriction: All pokemon must carry the same item, with the exception of those who carry mega stones or Z-cristals.
Healing restriction: In the same team there can be at least one type of recovery move (roost, rest, softboiled, etc). Draining moves like giga drain doesnt count.
Unbans: Kyurem W, Shaymyn S, Marshadow, Darkrai, Naganadel, all mega stones.
Possible Unbans: genesect.
Bans: rest of OU banlist + weather inducer abilities (from regular pokemon) and terrain inducer abilities + Unow.

With a 4v4 format more teams can be created despite the restrictions. it would be difficult to break stall for a lot of teams so i restrict healing moves in order to separate chansey/blissey with skarmory and toxapex and make stall a bit weaker and more diverse. Item restrictions make it even more difficult for chansey to fit in most teams, but he can fit in a eviolite style.
Kyurem W was added to balance ice style and non weather styles, Shaymyn S is a good addition because of his acces to nature power (can replace a main move), and he fits in ghost/psychic, grass and sun styles. marshadow and darkrai are good walbreakers and they fit in fighting style and ghost/psychic respectively. Naganadel can fit on a mixed dragon style, but he doesnt have acces to earthquake and dragon dance. he can be a piece of a special style in which genesect could fit if it was unbanned, but his vastly movepool is the reason i dont want to include him for the time being. Mega stones are allowed to bring balance to some styles, also they can bypass some rules, Mega gengar can acces to shadow tag, and Mega zard Y, Mega Ttar and Mega Abomanasov can induce weather, and they can be used to disrupt rain.

But, to add to this list, Terrain teams could be good. Psychic Terrain with Psychic/Psyshock, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast sounds promising.
I didnt see this paragraph lol. Yeah, i didnt consider terrain teams viable, but psychic seems quite good, mew can summon the terrain with genesis supernova, and Mega alakazam/gardevoir can beat rain/sand with trace. Specs/scarf and trick sounds cool too.

Less is more/Momentum Shift
Metagame Premise
: The Player with the least not fainted pokemon receives a +1Priority boost.
Bans and Threats: OU Banlist and OU clauses,Threats: mons with access to priority moves,bulky offence teams
Questions: Which name fits better? Is the priority boost a good way to give the loosing player an advantage?

Note that I have already submitted this to the OM Submissions forum.

Ok, i have another OM idea

Z- ping pong
Metagame premise:
both players have 2 Z-moves at their disposal, but by using one Z-move the number of Z-moves available for the opponent will increase by 1.
Banlist: for the moment Ou banlist, but an eye will be kept on pokemon that can easily snowball like Ash gren, Kartana or gyarados. Porygon Z might become very strong too.

My thoughts on this meta: it is essentialy Ultimate Z but a bit more balanced, players can go quick for Z-move and do damage, by trying for example to surprise their opponent most likely Z-user and KO it before he can attack, or play defensively, wait for their opponent to use a Z-move and then send a sweeper like shift gear magearna who can cause a nightmare with 3 Z-moves available. Mind games like ''who are my oponent Z-user/s'' will be very important.

Questions for the comunity: Will this metagame be difficult to code ? What pokeon do you find broken/threatening?

Less is more/Momentum Shift
Metagame Premise
: The Player with the least not fainted pokemon receives a +1Priority boost.
Bans and Threats: OU Banlist and OU clauses,Threats: mons with access to priority moves,bulky offence teams
Questions: Which name fits better? Is the priority boost a good way to give the loosing player an advantage?

Note that I have already submitted this to the OM Submissions forum.
I like Momentum Shift more, also something like 'Comeback cup' sounds attractive. I think +1 priority is a bit too much, maybe a +1 speed boost to every pokemon that switch in will create oportunities to reverse a matchup, but there could be a lot of balance issues with that.

I like Momentum Shift more, also something like 'Comeback cup' sounds attractive. I think +1 priority is a bit too much, maybe a +1 speed boost to every pokemon that switch in will create oportunities to reverse a matchup, but there could be a lot of balance issues with that.[/QUOTE]

Maybe giving the loosing player tailwind could be a solution.

In ultimate z, any move can be used with any type-based z crystal. So you can use z-stockpile with darkiumz. Will you include this mechanic?
I thought Ultimate-Z was interesting. There's some neat things you can do with z-status.
I'm a bit concerned that it might be rejected because it's so similar to Ultimate-z. But I still like the idea.

Moves that give +1 to all stats are probably worth banning. I'm not so sure about Extreme Evo Boost and Clangorous Soublaze though. Both mons that use those moves are not very good mons imo. I'm pretty sure Clangorous Soublaze can be blocked by fairy types.

In ultimate z, any move can be used with any type-based z crystal. So you can use z-stockpile with darkiumz. Will you include this mechanic?
I thought Ultimate-Z was interesting. There's some neat things you can do with z-status.
I'm a bit concerned that it might be rejected because it's so similar to Ultimate-z. But I still like the idea.

Moves that give +1 to all stats are probably worth banning. I'm not so sure about Extreme Evo Boost and Clangorous Soublaze though. Both mons that use those moves are not very good mons imo. I'm pretty sure Clangorous Soublaze can be blocked by fairy types.
No, the only Z-moves the pokemon can use are those available for the Z-crystal. That means that Z-conversion and Z-celebrate can be used only by normalium Z users, preventing them for using a stab Z-move, but porygon can use Z-hyper beam instead of conversion. Clangorous Soublaze sounds broken, since he lures fairy types so easily.

Before submitting my metagame (Z - ping pong), i wanted to add a new mechainc to help teams defend against Z-moves from the opponent. The new mechanic is: Each plate will modify the ability of the pokemon holding it, pokemon cant lose their respective plate (similar to Z-crystals and mega stones).

Grass = grassy surge
Fire = drought
Water = drizzle
Ground = sand force
Flying = pressure
Bug = regenerator
Poison = Intimidate
Ghost = infiltrator
Fighting = technician
Psychic = psychic surge
Dark = prankster
Fairy = mysty surge
Dragon = mold breaker
Electric = electric surge
Rock = sand stream
Ice = snow warning
Steel = unawere

The main reason i want to add this mechanic is because i want to provide tools to fight back against Z-moves like Z-conversion, clangourus soulblaze or pokemon who can snowball easily like magearna after a shift gear boost without needing to ban them. With more pokemon with acces to prankster + haze or unawere walls, defending and reacting against Z-moves can be a bit easier. Also, infiltrator is a good way to break subs of pokemon who set them up in respond of a predicted protect (a good way to bait Z-moves). Some players will doubt to use a Z-move against a wall because they will give their opponent an extra Z-move, so i added more ways to beat stall, especially, unawere walls. The most notable is dragon plate, giving Zygrade the ability mold breaker and a 20% boost on dragon type moves.

This whole mechanic is very complicated and it can be a whole new metagame on itself. So i want to hear your opinions.

Is this new mechanic excesively complicated?
Do you believe that Z - ping pong may get rejected for complexity if i add this set of rules in addition to the previous ones?
Do you like the idea? Would you prefeer another abilities instead of the given ones?
Do you think the two mechanics are better separated as two different metagames rather than be joined as a whole?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)